Author Topic: Trump finally says something that I like  (Read 2021 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Trump finally says something that I like
« on: February 28, 2018, 04:42:13 PM »
I wonder if after this meeting someone reminded Trump that one of the first things he did as POTUS was sign legislation making it EASIER for people with mental illness to get guns

Trump Stuns Lawmakers With Seeming Embrace of Gun Control Measures

WASHINGTON — President Trump stunned Republicans on live television Wednesday by embracing gun control and urging a group of lawmakers at the White House to resurrect gun safety legislation that has been opposed for years by the powerful National Rifle Association and the vast majority of his party.

In a remarkable meeting in the Roosevelt Room, the president veered wildly from the N.R.A. playbook in front of giddy Democrats and stone-faced Republicans. He called for comprehensive gun control legislation that would expand background checks to weapons purchased at gun shows and on the internet, keep guns from the mentally ill, secure schools and restrict gun sales from some young adults. He even suggested a conversation on an assault weapons ban.

At one point, Mr. Trump suggested that law enforcement authorities should have the power to seize guns from mentally ill or other dangerous people without first going to court. “I like taking the guns early,” he said, adding, “take the guns first, go through due process second.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-stuns-lawmakers-with-seeming-embrace-of-gun-control-measures/ar-BBJI1QI?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
Re: Trump finally says something that I like
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 05:52:18 PM »
Trump is a fucking buffoon, what does he want to challenge Lincoln for the most unconstitutional POTUS of all time?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 06:04:50 PM »
Trump is a fucking buffoon, what does he want to challenge Lincoln for the most unconstitutional POTUS of all time?

Don't worry he will flip flop by tomorrow

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 11:41:12 PM »
Don't worry he will flip flop by tomorrow

He will flip tomorrow, flop on Friday, flip again Sunday with Tweets... the problem is no one, even his inner circle, know what his stance will be on everything but the wall, 12 hours down the road. wait.. even on the wall it has changed from a huge wall, the biggest wall ever, to some wall, some other devices..

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 02:44:14 AM »
Don't we already do background checks at gun shows and internet  ???

(Hint: The answer is yes)

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 05:27:24 AM »
I wonder if after this meeting someone reminded Trump that one of the first things he did as POTUS was sign legislation making it EASIER for people with mental illness to get guns

Trump Stuns Lawmakers With Seeming Embrace of Gun Control Measures

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-stuns-lawmakers-with-seeming-embrace-of-gun-control-measures/ar-BBJI1QI?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

The media sure is pre-cumming with this...
a

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 06:55:17 AM »
I hope this was just one of those times where he says something without thinking and does flip on it/gets enough backlash to have him rethink it again. He has some major explaining to do.

He is done otherwise if he goes through with it. Aligning with Feinstein? All he will end up doing is alienating both sides. First amnesty and now this? Off his rocker on this issue so far.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 09:32:18 AM »
I hope this was just one of those times where he says something without thinking and does flip on it/gets enough backlash to have him rethink it again. He has some major explaining to do.

He is done otherwise if he goes through with it. Aligning with Feinstein? All he will end up doing is alienating both sides. First amnesty and now this? Off his rocker on this issue so far.

He can't go through with anything by himself and certainly can't circumvent due process

I just think it's hilarious that he doesn't even seem to be aware that he signed legislation making it easier for mentally ill people to get gun

It's also hilarious (in a horrible way) that he's basically admitted he doesn't give a fuck about the law. 

Of course we already have plenty of examples of that but it's "fun" when he actually comes out and admits it

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 01:07:49 PM »
Don't we already do background checks at gun shows and internet  ???

(Hint: The answer is yes)

The right answer is no. You can connect with someone on the internet on a classified sales type page, and buy an AR from them without any paper trail or even ID check 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2018, 01:18:12 PM »
costumes to die for?

where are their parents? Someone should do something

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »
The right answer is no. You can connect with someone on the internet on a classified sales type page, and buy an AR from them without any paper trail or even ID check 

Correct but that is a private sale. Why doesn't the media call it that. They try to make it sound like you can buy a gun from a dealer at a gun show or an online dealer without a background check.

Me personally I would never sell one of my guns to a stranger without going through a FFL.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 04:09:51 PM »
He can't go through with anything by himself and certainly can't circumvent due process

I just think it's hilarious that he doesn't even seem to be aware that he signed legislation making it easier for mentally ill people to get gun

It's also hilarious (in a horrible way) that he's basically admitted he doesn't give a fuck about the law. 

Of course we already have plenty of examples of that but it's "fun" when he actually comes out and admits it

1. I would hope that if he did it, it wouldn't be as broad as the Obama regulation he got rid of. That was terrible, but I also think that no one has clearly defined mentally ill in this matter as well. Very dangerous grounds and would be very hypocritical if he basically reinstated that same regulation.

2. Both he and Obama have done many executive orders, etc. A lot of Trump's have been to revoke Obama's. If you criticize both then you have a point so I hope you feel the same way in both regards.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27706/betrayal-trump-says-government-should-take-guns-ben-shapiro

Pretty good line at the end from Shapiro which I hope is true as generally Trump gets reigned in/rethinks the matter but makes you afraid that one of these times he won't/those few voices and votes won't be enough to stop it.

"The only comfort here is that Trump has said similarly doltish things before in front of Democrats, and his own party has constrained him. During the immigration debate, for example, he stunned Democrats by stating publicly that he wanted a clean DACA bill that wouldn’t include border security; he had to be tut-tutted by House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA).

So yes, this is Trump just mouthing off. But it proves once again that on matters of governing philosophy, Trump is no conservative. He’s just a guy who says stuff he thinks will play for the audience in front of him."

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 04:19:56 PM »
1. I would hope that if he did it, it wouldn't be as broad as the Obama regulation he got rid of. That was terrible, but I also think that no one has clearly defined mentally ill in this matter as well. Very dangerous grounds and would be very hypocritical if he basically reinstated that same regulation.

2. Both he and Obama have done many executive orders, etc. A lot of Trump's have been to revoke Obama's. If you criticize both then you have a point so I hope you feel the same way in both regards.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27706/betrayal-trump-says-government-should-take-guns-ben-shapiro

Pretty good line at the end from Shapiro which I hope is true as generally Trump gets reigned in/rethinks the matter but makes you afraid that one of these times he won't/those few voices and votes won't be enough to stop it.

"The only comfort here is that Trump has said similarly doltish things before in front of Democrats, and his own party has constrained him. During the immigration debate, for example, he stunned Democrats by stating publicly that he wanted a clean DACA bill that wouldn’t include border security; he had to be tut-tutted by House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA).

So yes, this is Trump just mouthing off. But it proves once again that on matters of governing philosophy, Trump is no conservative. He’s just a guy who says stuff he thinks will play for the audience in front of him."

pretty accurate in my opinion based on many examples

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 07:21:59 PM »

Here's is what I found on the Executive Order that Trump overturned

I'm assuming this is people receiving SSDI for a documented mental illness for which the US taxpayer is providing them disability income
I have no problem with this.  What is your objection?

Obama's order made it mandatory for the Social Security Administration to release information about mentally ill recipients of Social Security benefits. This information would then be included in background checks, essentially prohibiting people with mental illnesses to buy guns.

The Obama administration estimated this rule would affect about 75,000 people each year who have a documented mental health issue.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/promise/1438/reverse-barack-obamas-2016-gun-executive-order/

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 07:31:15 PM »

I'm assuming this is people receiving SSDI for a documented mental illness for which the US taxpayer is providing them disability income

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/promise/1438/reverse-barack-obamas-2016-gun-executive-order/

sounds reasonable

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 09:10:27 AM »

It took away rights from those with no criminal/violent behavior. Those with eating disorders, etc. are on that list according to the aclu.

Until they define the types of "mental illness" that they are going to revoke rights from then I have no trust in the governments judgement/tactics.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 09:59:22 AM »
It took away rights from those with no criminal/violent behavior. Those with eating disorders, etc. are on that list according to the aclu.

Until they define the types of "mental illness" that they are going to revoke rights from then I have no trust in the governments judgement/tactics.

If this is true then the larger problem is the US Taxpayer giving SSDI to people with eating disorders

BTW - if you truly have an eating disorder that is so difficult that you're unable to work and need to live off the government disability income then maybe you shouldn't be able to buy a gun.   Not only to protect others but to protect themselves.   Aren't gun deaths from suicide more common than using a gun to commit violence against others?

Anyway, I have no problem with the EO from Obama

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 09:09:52 PM »
If this is true then the larger problem is the US Taxpayer giving SSDI to people with eating disorders

BTW - if you truly have an eating disorder that is so difficult that you're unable to work and need to live off the government disability income then maybe you shouldn't be able to buy a gun.   Not only to protect others but to protect themselves.   Aren't gun deaths from suicide more common than using a gun to commit violence against others?

Anyway, I have no problem with the EO from Obama

as usual, you paint the picture. Unfortunate to most of us, Vincent had to be written by Don McLean because the vast majority won't get it