Author Topic: Blue wave? Texas Republicans outvoted Democrats in the 2018 primaries — again  (Read 2163 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Vote counts Tuesday night once again showed how Texas is a red state. Despite an early rush to the polls, Republicans cast more ballots than Democrats in the 2018 primaries.

Texas is a solidly red state, and voting totals confirmed that — again.

"We have been hearing for weeks in Texas and across the country that a great 'blue wave' was coming to Texas," Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said in a Wednesday news release. "But the votes have been counted and we know that so-called 'blue wave' never made landfall."

All isn’t lost for Democrats as they prepare for the November general election, however. Enthusiasm within the party still seems up. In total, Democratic primary turnout more than doubled from 2014 to 2018.

The rise in Democratic turnout might be attributed to the several contested congressional races where the minority party hoped to flip districts that Hillary Clinton won in 2016 but are currently held by Republicans.

One of the most hotly-contested races was in Congressional District 7 where seven Democrats fought in a bitter primary battle to take on U.S. Rep. John Culberson, R-Houston. The race drew national attention after the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee released opposition research about one of the Democratic candidates, journalist and activist Laura Moser, saying she was too liberal to defeat the Republican incumbent.

Despite national Democrats’ efforts, however, Moser came in second and will face a primary runoff against attorney Lizzie Pannill Fletcher, who led the crowded Democratic field with nearly 30 percent of the vote.

Another seat Democrats are hoping to flip in November is Congressional District 23 — a swing district held by Republican Will Hurd, R-Helotes. As of Wednesday morning, retired Air Force intelligence officer Gina Ortiz Jones led the race with 40 percent of the vote. With all precincts reporting, Rick Treviño, a high school teacher, appeared poised to challenge Jones in the May runoff. However, his 216-vote margin over Judy Canales, who served in the U.S. Department of Agriculture under President Barack Obama, leaves open the possibility of a recount.

In Texas’ 32nd District in Dallas, seven Democrats competed to face U.S. Rep. Pete Sessions, R-Dallas. The two Democratic frontrunners, former NFL football player Colin Allred and former Obama administration official Lillian Salerno, will now face off in a primary.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texastribune.org/2018/03/07/blue-wave-texas-republicans-outvoted-democrats-2018-primaries/amp/

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Glad to see everyone from both sides exercising their right to vote.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
“Clinton has been projected to win by 98.2%”

Agnostic007

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
His troll game is strong.  lol

Trump has taught well..lol

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
His troll game is strong.  lol

X2

I always enjoyed how Cruz and Newt handled the media.

Mike Huckabee is strong as well. You can see where his daughter got it from.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
I find it weird that "Ted" Cruz, who's real name is Rafael Edward Cruz, makes fun of someone else for a similar name change and his fellow Republicans are clueless to the hypocrisy.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
I find it weird that "Ted" Cruz, who's real name is Rafael Edward Cruz, makes fun of someone else for a similar name change and his fellow Republicans are clueless to the hypocrisy.

His middle name is Edward and you are mad he goes by Ted?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
His middle name is Edward and you are mad he goes by Ted?

I find it hypocritical he commissions a stupid song to chastise someone for doing what he did. don't you?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
I find it hypocritical he commissions a stupid song to chastise someone for doing what he did. don't you?

I have family and friends that prefer to go by their middle name don't you?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
absolutely, but they don't make up stupid songs about others who  similar things...

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
Glad to see everyone from both sides exercising their right to vote.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
absolutely, but they don't make up stupid songs about others who  similar things...

For a cop who was out there kicking all this ass and protecting the community, you sure get worked up over the smallest things.

That song was about as mild as I've seen for a campaign ad.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
For a cop who was out there kicking all this ass and protecting the community, you sure get worked up over the smallest things.

That song was about as mild as I've seen for a campaign ad.

I conducted myself in a professional manner, representing the badge. I guess I expect others to try and do the same in a government role. They are representing us... which just gave me the epiphany that Ted Cruz' immature Ad was perfect for the Texas republicans

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
X2

I always enjoyed how Cruz and Newt handled the media.

Mike Huckabee is strong as well. You can see where his daughter got it from.

Agree.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
I conducted myself in a professional manner, representing the badge. I guess I expect others to try and do the same in a government role. They are representing us... which just gave me the epiphany that Ted Cruz' immature Ad was perfect for the Texas republicans

You are having a laugh at all this.

There is no way you can be that sensitive over some goofy parody song.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
You are having a laugh at all this.

There is no way you can be that sensitive over some goofy parody song.

He's serious.  This is a side-effect of Trump Derangement Syndrome.  Getting worked up over every possible thing. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
He's serious.  This is a side-effect of Trump Derangement Syndrome.  Getting worked up over every possible thing. 

as opposed to ignoring our representatives acting like fools

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
as opposed to ignoring our representatives acting like fools

Don't sweat the small stuff. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Don't sweat the small stuff. 

I'll work on it over the next week

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I'll work on it over the next week

In between posting about Trump having too many cheat meals. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
In between posting about Trump having too many cheat meals. 
Leave on a cruise tomorrow. Won't post until I get back, I will take that time to reflect over margaritas on the pool deck how I will approach this administration going forward 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Leave on a cruise tomorrow. Won't post until I get back, I will take that time to reflect over margaritas on the pool deck how I will approach this administration going forward 

Cool.  Have fun.