Author Topic: Getbiggers with Fighting Experience: Size of Strength?  (Read 2469 times)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Getbiggers with Fighting Experience: Size of Strength?
« on: March 11, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
To those on here with fighting experience, there is one thing I have noticed by following the UFC over the past couple of years - the commentators [especially Joe Rogan] always point out whether or not a fighter is big, including muscularity, and also whether or not he is lean.

For example, in UFC 217, both Daniel Cormier and Joe Rogan pointed out how big Georges St-Pierre looked in that fight.

So what's the benefit of size alone?  My guess is that it's harder to take down a larger man, as his body weight protects him from being manhandled [recall when Mariusz Pudzianowski attempted to pick up and take down Tim Sylvia, and even Pudz wasn't strong enough to do that].

How about strength alone?  So take a man who is the size of Ed Coan - like when he weighed 166-lb and missed weight for one of his early meets, but still managed to total something like 1690.  Would that strength alone make a big difference?

Lastly, which is more important - size or strength?

PS - I am NOT asking how an IFBB pro bodybuilder who do in a fight against a UFC fighter, lol.  I realize any lightweight fighter would be able to beat any IFBB pro, if not even the lighter fighters in the UFC.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
Re: Getbiggers with Fighting Experience: Size of Strength?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 04:49:53 PM »
big guys hit harder

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 04:52:09 PM »
Size alone is one thing.

Benefit of Size with SKILL is another.

There is a reason for weightclasses, Matt.

You don't want Demetrius Johnson fighting Ngannou, Stipe etc or even Goodrum *shudder*

Regardless of Demetrius skill, he is just too tiny for those.
Q

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 04:55:57 PM »
Jon Jones is skinny as a rail and even a top level wrestler like Cormier had trouble taking him down.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 04:58:13 PM »
Jon Jones is skinny as a rail and even a top level wrestler like Cormier had trouble taking him down.

Not that skinny

Q

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 05:01:41 PM »
look at how skinny jones is

if he was on getbig be there would be following him around for months telling him that he hasnt put any size on

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 05:03:41 PM »
look at how skinny jones is

if he was on getbig be there would be following him around for months telling him that he hasnt put any size on

He has years to put on size now.

USADA will give him the time.
Q

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 05:07:19 PM »
He has years to put on size now.

USADA will give him the time.

he needs to get into the bulking thread to get some tips

maybe put out a few videos where he moves the camera back and forth while filming for 10 seconds

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »
Based off street fighting experience.strength is always gonna help break holds,toss people etc..strength can only benefit.

Size is good for an intimidation factor cause once the fighter second guesses himself due to your size you have a leg up.Also harder to toss around a bigger guy and harder to get in holds.

But neither will do you any good if you don’t have any fighting ability whatsoever.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »

Different types of Glutes
Q

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 05:12:10 PM »
you dont need fighting ability

all you need is to be really good at hugging

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 05:12:19 PM »
Size matters when it comes to extremes and there must be some level of skill at play as well.

If Francis Ngannou fights Demetrious Johnson, Ngannou will most likely win if he connects or sandbags him to death. Johnson's strikes won't hurt Ngannou much, but he could certainly submit Ngannou, but it wouldn't be easy.

Skill is incredibly important if it comes down to two guys fighting in the same weight class or if it's just a matter of a 10-20 pound difference. The guy with the most skill and technique will win the vast majority of the time. Again, anyone can land a lucky punch, but it's a lot harder to connect on a guy with great skill & technique.

Rogan is a size queen. I love the guy's podcasts, but he is obsessed with men that are big in size.

Jon Jones has a FANTASTIC build for fighting. He is tall, has very long limbs, has muscle mass, but not detrimental amounts that will cause him to gas out after a few minutes (see Ngannou for a good example of that). Jon is also much stronger than most people imagine. Remember when Daniel Cormier stated that he did not expect Jon to be so damn strong and manhandle him the way he did? Jones also worked Rampage pretty easily, regardless of all the mass he had.

"1"

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 05:16:43 PM »
Not that skinny

I can type in Alistair Overeem and get 2 vastly different looking physiques as well.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 05:16:55 PM »
Size matters when it comes to extremes and there must be some level of skill at play as well.

If Francis Ngannou fights Demetrious Johnson, Ngannou will most likely win if he connects or sandbags him to death. Johnson's strikes won't hurt Ngannou much, but he could certainly submit Ngannou, but it wouldn't be easy.

Skill is incredibly important if it comes down to two guys fighting in the same weight class or if it's just a matter of a 10-20 pound difference. The guy with the most skill and technique will win the vast majority of the time. Again, anyone can land a lucky punch, but it's a lot harder to connect on a guy with great skill & technique.

Rogan is a size queen. I love the guy's podcasts, but he is obsessed with men that are big in size.

Jon Jones has a FANTASTIC build for fighting. He is tall, has very long limbs, has muscle mass, but not detrimental amounts that will cause him to gas out after a few minutes (see Ngannou for a good example of that). Jon is also much stronger than most people imagine. Remember when Daniel Cormier stated that he did not expect Jon to be so damn strong and manhandle him the way he did? Jones also worked Rampage pretty easily, regardless of all the mass he had.

"1"

One of the longest reaches in the division.
Q

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 05:17:42 PM »
I can type in Alistair Overeem and get 2 vastly different looking physiques as well.

All thanks to USADA.

The days of Ubereem and Overeem is over, it is Econoreem now.
Q

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 05:35:08 PM »
for people who claim size dont matter ill let them fight the 300 pound guy

and ill take the 150 pound guy

everyone is happy

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »
Great thread, guys!

I am glad there were no "Captain Obvious" posts in response to my comment that a big man is easier to manhandle.  ;D

Also, I realize this topic comes up from time to time, so thank you for not getting annoyed with this thread.

I do think that being 170-lb but bench pressing 315-lb for a few reps, that I would be able to beat people in fights - but NORMAL UNTRAINED people - NOT people who train for fighting.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 06:05:05 PM »
thing with fighting is that training doesnt really matter as its not something you can train for.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 12:36:46 AM »
Both can help a lot as long as your not a fucking dunder and can look after yourself as well (speaking here purely for self defence reasons can’t comment on competitive fighting), the size alone will put off and unnerve a lot of people and being stronger that the other will help if he grasps you, last fight I was in I was attacked outside by my old house by some absolute scrotum and before he even threw a punch the first thing he did was grap me and try and bite my ear, luckily he missed and his dirty bastard teeth scraped my head above my ear, being a lot stronger than him I was able to fairly easily throw him on the ground, kneel on his chest and smash fuck out of his nose till he curled up in a ball like a little bitch. He was taller than me and had I been week I’d probably have been fucked

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 04:13:18 AM »
Both can help a lot as long as your not a fucking dunder and can look after yourself as well (speaking here purely for self defence reasons can’t comment on competitive fighting), the size alone will put off and unnerve a lot of people and being stronger that the other will help if he grasps you, last fight I was in I was attacked outside by my old house by some absolute scrotum and before he even threw a punch the first thing he did was grap me and try and bite my ear, luckily he missed and his dirty bastard teeth scraped my head above my ear, being a lot stronger than him I was able to fairly easily throw him on the ground, kneel on his chest and smash fuck out of his nose till he curled up in a ball like a little bitch. He was taller than me and had I been week I’d probably have been fucked

you must live in a very nice neighborhood

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 10:24:11 AM »
you must live in a very nice neighborhood

It was a decent area then a lot of old people either died or moved on and the paki bought all their houses on the cheap and rents them out to absolute scrotums and one of these houses was next door to mine and endured several years of shit from a few of the pakis tennants , moved away nearly 5 years ago now

be back

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 10:25:22 AM »
It was a decent area then a lot of old people either died or moved on and the paki bought all their houses on the cheap and rents them out to absolute scrotums and one of these houses was next door to mine and endured several years of shit from a few of the pakis tennants , moved away nearly 5 years ago now

Pakis ruined an area...Im not having that....

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 10:27:13 AM »
Pakis ruined an area...Im not having that....
Haha well he didn’t directly it was the dole dwelling shitbags he preferred to rent his houses to

be back

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 10:29:54 AM »
Haha well he didn’t directly it was the dole dwelling shitbags he preferred to rent his houses to

money straight from the DHSS, doesnt even need to chase them for rent....

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
thing with fighting is that training doesnt really matter as its not something you can train for.

If you are SuckMyMuscle aka Hindenburg Melanoma Jr, you don't need exceptional size nor strength.

He only needs skill.

Q