Author Topic: Pulled/Tore Lower Back Muscle...Any Of You Experience This?  (Read 1875 times)

TTfit

• Getbig III
Pulled/Tore Lower Back Muscle...Any Of You Experience This?
« on: March 12, 2018, 03:57:52 AM »
It's been almost 5 months now and it still hurts. It's stiff when I wake up or when I stand long periods of time. The doctor said no permanent damage and it's just going to take a bit to heal but I'm losing faith. I think I did it when I was trying to set a record deadlifting. I somehow must have got lazy on the form. Will it ever truly heal? Give me your experiences. Give me some hope.  :-\

be back

Re: Pulled/Tore Lower Back Muscle...Any Of You Experience This?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 05:14:35 AM »
go see a physio/chiropractor

TTfit

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 05:25:32 AM »

Done. Had dry needling done and am afraid of chiropractors. What could a chiropractor do anyways?

be back

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 05:27:29 AM »
Done. Had dry needling done and am afraid of chiropractors. What could a chiropractor do anyways?
The muscle may be not healing because the pelvis is out of line, a chiropractor could adjust that..

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 05:29:10 AM »

I'd advise against this. Most are quacks. The reality is you probably do have some bit of disc issue and will now have to deal with it the rest of your life. There are certain exercises and stretches you can do to help but it will always flair up. Mine will get out of whack just getting a plate out of the dishwasher sometimes.

VladimirVersic

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 05:40:49 AM »
Tell me about it. At 25 or something years of age had a severe back injury doing cheating barbbell rows.
Did not keep my low back straight and prolly was relaxed.
When i woke up i could not get out of the bed without supporting myself with my hands. Was in pain all day for weeks.
Should of got an injection for pain relief.
I reinjured myself again when i lowered a three plate deadlift while relaxing my back.
After then never again as i learned my lesson.
I was lucky tho as i got no permanent damage.
My L5 are closer together then my other disks. Was close to blowing out a disk.
After that i stopped deadlifting and squatting for two years.
Now i deadlift and squat heavy no problem.
Used to feel some light pain here and there. Now no pain.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 05:42:34 AM »
Ego lifting strikes again. Hope that eventually heals.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 05:54:51 AM »
do passive back exercises to loosen you up, will be fine in time if you lift within your limits..
F

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 06:19:56 AM »
I would recommend acupuncture.

TTfit

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 07:00:57 AM »
The muscle may be not healing because the pelvis is out of line, a chiropractor could adjust that..

I can't wrap my head around that. How would an out of line pelvis effect a muscle from healing?

TTfit

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 07:01:34 AM »
I would recommend acupuncture.

Wouldn't my dry needling have been better considering the needle penetrates the muscle? I did like that...helped a bit.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 07:24:44 AM »
Wouldn't my dry needling have been better considering the needle penetrates the muscle? I did like that...helped a bit.

They're not exactly the same, I've had both.

With acupuncture, they will go into tendons and nerves as well if needed. They also leave the needle in for 30 mins or more and often attach it to an electric current.

For instance, with my back they also put needles almost horizontally into the area of my lower back connecting to my pelvis and also in legs and ankle area. With dry needling they would only put in the lower back muscles.

be back

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 07:43:28 AM »
I can't wrap my head around that. How would an out of line pelvis effect a muscle from healing?

because it may be under constant tension...

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 09:51:29 AM »
One thing that can sometimes help is to hang. You don’t need to use your full bodyweight just grab the top of a door frame and allow yourself to hang down keeping your feet on the ground.. This can often relieve some of the compression on the disks and stretch out the tight muscles.

Good luck. I’ve had a few lower back strains and in my opinion it’s the worst possible muscle pull. You can’t do anything.

be back

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »
inversion tables are OK...

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »
Once my lower back went out the first time about 10 years ago it will always be a weak point.Since shoveling snow last week,shoveled my driveway and neighbors driveway my back is stiff as a board,It will be like this for a Month then go away until next time which could be a year or a month.Sucks but I work around it.When it’s good I forget about it till it happens again.

TTfit

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 03:29:08 PM »
inversion tables are OK...

I did get one from a friend for free. Just have it in storage as I don't have room for it although I"m going to buy a bigger place this year. I look forward to using it regularly injured or non injured. It can only be a good thing.

be back

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 02:53:49 AM »
Once my lower back went out the first time about 10 years ago it will always be a weak point.Since shoveling snow last week,shoveled my driveway and neighbors driveway my back is stiff as a board,It will be like this for a Month then go away until next time which could be a year or a month.Sucks but I work around it.When it’s good I forget about it till it happens again.

Yep, did mine in 1988, still always wary of it.....

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
See an orthopedic surgeon and get an MRI to see if your disks are damaged. Could be pushing on nerves. If you tore a muscle he should be able to figure out if the tendon pulled off the bone or if the muscle was torn.  If the tendon pulled off the length of time you let this go could be a problem in it's repair. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.

This would probably make your back worse but it keeps my lower back healthy. I do semi stiff leg deadlifts off a platform for a good stretch. I go slow on the negative and control the movement. The second part of the equation is weighted back extensions.  The new 45 degree hyper extension benches absolutely stink. No resistance at the top. I like the old fashion horizontal ones. I hold a plate behind my head. The picture shows my back extension bench in the lower left. Somebody mentioned this earlier. If your disks are compacted doing something like hanging leg raises with ab straps can decompress the disks giving you some relief if that's the problem.

TTfit

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 11:18:12 AM »
See an orthopedic surgeon and get an MRI to see if your disks are damaged. Could be pushing on nerves. If you tore a muscle he should be able to figure out if the tendon pulled off the bone or if the muscle was torn.  If the tendon pulled off the length of time you let this go could be a problem in it's repair. Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.

This would probably make your back worse but it keeps my lower back healthy. I do semi stiff leg deadlifts off a a platform for a good stretch. I go slow on the negative and control the movement. The second part of the equation is weighted back extensions.  The new 45 degree hyper extension benches absolutely stink. No resistance at the top. I like the old fashion horizontal ones. I hold a plate behind my head. The picture shows my back extension bench in the lower left. Somebody mentioned this earlier. If your disks are compacted doing something like hanging leg raises with ab straps can decompress the disks giving you some relief if that's the problem.

Appreciate the advice. 5 months seems like a long time to heal.