Author Topic: Update: Universal Nutrition by Vinny Galanti  (Read 1736 times)

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
Update: Universal Nutrition by Vinny Galanti
« on: April 12, 2006, 11:04:46 AM »
Monday: Back in Business
by Vinny Galanti

Across America on any given Monday, at any given time of the day, its chest day.

I was told a long time ago, that I should train my weakest bodypart first, and as the week went on, the strongest. Good for me that everyone else loves to follow the crowd, and does chest on Monday's, cuz it's back day for me.

Nobody bothers me, nobody gets in my way, especially the people who have no clue on how to train. Lets face it, we are the odd man out in the gym. We get looked at like we are crazy with our Ipods in our ears, our gallon of water by our side, and training that is off the charts.

After coming back from the Arnold Expo this past week, my training has been through the roof. Kicking it around with The Lad and Rhino, and all the other guys in The Cage, I could not have trained any less than crazy this week.

While I was in the airport in Columbus waiting for my flight back to Jersey, I was recapping in my head about all the crazy stuff that happened in The Cage… All the benching and craziness got me thinking about what I was going to do in the gym on Monday.

When I walked into “The Edge” where I train, I had the feeling as if it were contest time. You know that mood you get in when your training serious, you don't want to catch anyone's eye, or even say hello, in fear they might think you actually care about them, and they will want to talk to you, and mess up your training. Man, it was on in the gym. Since my return to serious training, I have not enjoyed myself this much in many years. I have fallen in love again with the sick feeling you get when you push yourself to the point of throwing up.

Here is a typical back day:

I usually warm-up with about 5 sets of about 110lbs on the lat pulldown for 8-10 reps.

Then I went into barbell rows: 135 for 8, 185 for 8, 225 for 8, 275 for 8, 315 for 10, dropped down to 225 for 7, dropped down to 135 for 10.

Next up are one arm dumbbell rows: 100lb for 8, 120 for 8, 150 for 8.

Deadlifts in the rack, shin level: (I have 2 herniated disks in my lower back, I can't pull off the floor anymore.)
135 for 10, 225 for 10, 315 for 10, 405 for 10, 465 for 8.

One arm lat pulldowns with a single handle: I did 3 sets with 100lbs for 8 reps each.

Old fashioned wide pull-ups with weight added to a belt: 3 sets of as many as I can do.

Traps are up next. With my lower back issues and a neck that has been known to get jammed up, I have to pay close attention to how I train my traps.

I have found behind the back shrugs (actually, I like to call them rear high pulls) do not bother my neck, but it will give me a good overall pump. I do about 5 sets of 12 reps with only a 185 pound bar.

Finishing up back, I end it with 4 sets of hyperextensions at 15 reps each.

I have to pay special, close attention to awesome form, in fear of injuring my back again. There is nothing more that pisses me off, than doing something stupid in the gym where you can't get out of bed the next day.

So there you have it--follow what works for you, don't do what everyone else does. Walk your own path and the sky will be the limit.

http://universalnutrition.com/features/backinbusiness.html

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
Re: UPDATE :UNIVERSAL NUTRITION by..Vinny Galanti
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 11:07:28 AM »
he seems to be hurt alot or have had been hurt alot

LifterChick

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 12:18:59 PM »
he seems to be hurt alot or have had been hurt alot

OH YEAH!  You should see the other guys!  Their kneecaps will never be the same.
 ;D

njbbldr

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 03:35:25 PM »
I just read the article that Vinny posted on Universal abour training back and thought it was great. The quote "I have to pay special, close attention to awesome form, in fear of injuring my back again. There is nothing more that pisses me off, than doing something stupid in the gym where you can't get out of bed the next day." is dead on for me. I also have a bad back and have a tendency of muscling the weight and forgeting to watch my form.

Great article

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
Re: Update: Universal Nutrition by Vinny Galanti
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 04:40:40 PM »
 He seems pretty weak :-\