Author Topic: Tennessee man wrongly imprisoned for 31 years awarded $1M  (Read 653 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Tennessee man wrongly imprisoned for 31 years awarded $1M
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:34:31 AM »
Not nearly enough.

By Gerren Keith Gaynor   | Fox News

A Tennessee man wrongfully imprisoned for more than three decades for rape and burglary convictions was awarded $1 million from the state Wednesday.

Lawrence McKinney, 61, was exonerated by Gov. Bill Haslam nine years ago after new DNA evidence led to his 1978 convictions being overturned, the Tennessean reported.

McKinney sought the legal maximum of $1 million for wrongful imprisonment, which was unanimously approved by the Tennessee Board of Claims, according to the newspaper.

After being released in 2009, McKinney’s request for exoneration was initially denied by the state board of parole, which makes recommendations to the governor.

In the years following, McKinney demanded justice after spending “31 years, nine months, 18 days and 12 years” behind bars for crimes he did not commit, according to Fox 17 Nashville.

“They took my life away from me, they took everything away from me where I didn’t have a chance to have a family, raise kids or nothing," McKinney told the station in 2016. “All my 20s and all my 30s and 40s, they were taken away from me. I didn't have a chance to build something for myself.”

While in prison, McKinney said he found solace in newfound spirituality.

“I know that God put peace in my heart," McKinney told the Fox affiliate. “Love God with all your heart, your mind and your soul, and love your neighbor as you love yourself.”

McKinney, who resides in Lebanon, Tenn., will reportedly receive $353,000 up front to cover legal fees, debts and funds to purchase a vehicle. The remaining $647,000 will be distributed monthly for life starting May 1, the Tennessean reported.

Gov. Haslam granted McKinney an executive exoneration in December, which ultimately cleared a path for his request for recompense.

“Though the facts of this case are complex and reasonable minds may draw different conclusions from them, ultimately I respect the determinations of the Shelby County Criminal Court and District Attorney General that Mr. McKinney was not guilty of the crimes for which he was convicted,” Haslam said, “and would not have been prosecuted if the DNA testing results had been available at the time of trial.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/22/tennessee-man-wrongly-imprisoned-for-31-years-awarded-1m.html

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
Re: Tennessee man wrongly imprisoned for 31 years awarded $1M
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 10:56:21 AM »
that is about 32,000 a year, I know cost of living is cheap in Memphis but jeez.  Then again Memphis is a cesspool, i think they have upwards of 15,000 untested rape kits. I know a girl from memphis, in the year + it took to run her rape kit the guy raped 6 more girls, its a disgusting place

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 03:28:52 PM »
Wow, what a con job.  Total burn.  Writing the law to make a victim pay twice.

Welcome to Tennessee - But Leave Your Trust at the Border, Y'all!

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 04:58:20 PM »
He should get ten times that at least.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 05:37:09 PM »
He should get ten times that at least.

They don't even allow him the pleasure to invest it himself.  They want to give it to him in chump change payments as though he doesn't really deserve it in the first place.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 04:56:08 AM »
Thats it?   Insane! 

Not nearly enough.

By Gerren Keith Gaynor   | Fox News

A Tennessee man wrongfully imprisoned for more than three decades for rape and burglary convictions was awarded $1 million from the state Wednesday.

Lawrence McKinney, 61, was exonerated by Gov. Bill Haslam nine years ago after new DNA evidence led to his 1978 convictions being overturned, the Tennessean reported.

McKinney sought the legal maximum of $1 million for wrongful imprisonment, which was unanimously approved by the Tennessee Board of Claims, according to the newspaper.

After being released in 2009, McKinney’s request for exoneration was initially denied by the state board of parole, which makes recommendations to the governor.

In the years following, McKinney demanded justice after spending “31 years, nine months, 18 days and 12 years” behind bars for crimes he did not commit, according to Fox 17 Nashville.

“They took my life away from me, they took everything away from me where I didn’t have a chance to have a family, raise kids or nothing," McKinney told the station in 2016. “All my 20s and all my 30s and 40s, they were taken away from me. I didn't have a chance to build something for myself.”

While in prison, McKinney said he found solace in newfound spirituality.

“I know that God put peace in my heart," McKinney told the Fox affiliate. “Love God with all your heart, your mind and your soul, and love your neighbor as you love yourself.”

McKinney, who resides in Lebanon, Tenn., will reportedly receive $353,000 up front to cover legal fees, debts and funds to purchase a vehicle. The remaining $647,000 will be distributed monthly for life starting May 1, the Tennessean reported.

Gov. Haslam granted McKinney an executive exoneration in December, which ultimately cleared a path for his request for recompense.

“Though the facts of this case are complex and reasonable minds may draw different conclusions from them, ultimately I respect the determinations of the Shelby County Criminal Court and District Attorney General that Mr. McKinney was not guilty of the crimes for which he was convicted,” Haslam said, “and would not have been prosecuted if the DNA testing results had been available at the time of trial.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/22/tennessee-man-wrongly-imprisoned-for-31-years-awarded-1m.html