Author Topic: Irritating Cellphones at Gym  (Read 10929 times)

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Irritating Cellphones at Gym
« on: March 23, 2018, 08:40:03 AM »
I have been training during the work day at a gym on the road this week. Very irritating trend. Guys sit on the equipment between sets and do work related (or personal) texts and emails WAY longer than typical rest period between sets. Ties the equipment up forever.  Also, in the locker room, dude is sitting near naked in front of a bunch of lockers blocking access and texting and emailing away on cellphone. Sometimes I yearn for the days before we had the phones.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
Re: Irritating Cellphones at Gym
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 08:56:39 AM »
I have been training during the work day at a gym on the road this week. Very irritating trend. Guys sit on the equipment between sets and do work related (or personal) texts and emails WAY longer than typical rest period between sets. Ties the equipment up forever.  Also, in the locker room, dude is sitting near naked in front of a bunch of lockers blocking access and texting and emailing away on cellphone. Sometimes I yearn for the days before we had the phones.
When they do this I walk up to them and say'' excuse me'' how many more tex do you need to send before you're done on this machine'' as far as the locker room I very rarely enter it I change at work in my office before I leave for the day..
p

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 09:12:17 AM »
https://www.roguefitness.com/w4-garage-gym

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 09:17:57 AM »
It sucks but afternoon training still beats peak hour gym time though...

Can he bring his garage with him on his travels?

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 10:21:51 AM »

Fuck rogue,so sick of seeing all these people with their stupid rogue socks pulled up high,rogue gym bags etc...they’re fucking bar is 250.00,that’s fucked.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:40:37 AM »
When they do this I walk up to them and say'' excuse me'' how many more tex do you need to send before you're done on this machine'' as far as the locker room I very rarely enter it I change at work in my office before I leave for the day..

Good move. I walk up to the offender and ask how many more sets they have. This seems to remind them what the equipment is actually used for. Changing at the office seems  silly. Do you then walk out of the office in your gym attire while carrying your clothes?  

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 10:49:52 AM »
It sucks but afternoon training still beats peak hour gym time though...

Can he bring his garage with him on his travels?

I love afternoon training,right around 1-2,kids aren’t there yet,lunch crowns is gone and usually have the weight room to myself maybe 1-2 other people.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 12:22:47 PM »
I tend to ignore the twinks on their phones and look for attractive women with tits and ass for motivation.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 12:40:38 PM »
Good move. I walk up to the offender and ask how many more sets they have. This seems to remind them what the equipment is actually used for. Changing at the office seems  silly. Do you then walk out of the office in your gym attire while carrying your clothes?  

ive been here 21 years they all know me very well ...not silly at all 25 min ride home so it saves me time I just walk in and work out
p

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »
ive been here 21 years they all know me very well ...not silly at all 25 min ride home so it saves me time I just walk in and work out

Compared to driving home to change into your workout clothes, changing in the office is indeed not silly at all. Why not just change in the locker-room like most people do?

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
I tend to ignore the twinks on their phones and look for attractive women with tits and ass for motivation.

Who said anything about twinks?

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »
I've long had a no phone policy at my gym. You can text and listen to your music, but the ringer has to be off, and if you want to talk on it, you go outside. Been that way since day 1 for the same reason the the OP was griping about.

robcguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 03:13:00 PM »
I've long had a no phone policy at my gym. You can text and listen to your music, but the ringer has to be off, and if you want to talk on it, you go outside. Been that way since day 1 for the same reason the the OP was griping about.

Yeah I leave my phone in the car.Its a nice 1.5 hours with no interruptions.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »

But the texting seated anywhere and everywhere in the gym is just as bad as actual conversations. People write LONG texts and totally forget where they are sitting.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »
Training in my basement lately but when I trained in the commercial gym the best time was around 9AM. Nothing but retired cops, veterans and old people. A few hardcore was thrown into the mix. After work hours at 5P was the worst crowd. It's a zoo.

Never1AShow

• Getbig V
  • World Record Holder in French Toast Diving
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 08:01:35 PM »
Fucking around on the phone between sets is a great way to not get a pump and lose concentration and focus on the muscles.  one of the worst things you can do.  better to go without music if you cant control yourself.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 08:04:50 PM »
Fucking around on the phone between sets is a great way to not get a pump and lose concentration and focus on the muscles.  one of the worst things you can do.  better to go without music if you cant control yourself.

Exactly. How can anyone train with intensity while fucking with there phone between sets. They can't! Only time I touch my phone during a workout is if I need to skip over a shitty song on pandora.

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 07:45:07 AM »
But the texting seated anywhere and everywhere in the gym is just as bad as actual conversations. People write LONG texts and totally forget where they are sitting.

Drives me fucking nuts.  The worst offenders at my health club (LA Fitness) are women.  They will get on a machine, do a short set, then sit there and text or whatever with their phones for five minutes or more, then do short set, then sit there and spend another five minutes or more with their phone, do a short set, another at least five minutes on the phone, et cetera, et cetera.  I try to be polite and wait but oftentimes I have to move on to a different exercise.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 08:01:48 AM »
I recently started working out again after many years and what's different now than when I first started is that we're in the smartphone era. Everyone can do anything on a phone - email, instagram, etc. It's like a personal diary. They take it with them everywhere and as soon as the set is done they are on their phone.

I really don't give a shit as long as they aren't in the way of my training or needlessly taking up a part of the gym that I could be using to do what it's intended for... train.

As much as I don't care, I still am intrigued. What is everyone doing on their phone the whole time? Most, if not all, of you guys would have a smartphone. I don't need one, as I'm a friendless antisocial weirdo (you think I'm joking... :)) But for the rest of you, when you finish your set, what do you do on your smartphone the whole time?

They are not doing anything important for the most part, unless they carry their jobs into the gym which is ridiculous. Checking FB and Instagram posts (oh and getbig).

You describe yourself as friendless, but the funny thing is that addictive cellphone usage has actually been shown to be frequently associated with isolation and freindless-ness.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 01:31:55 PM »
Not just the gym. People on their cells loud talking everywhere in public or checking them at the movies or even while driving. They’re the fucking downfall of humanity.

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2018, 01:34:49 PM »
Machete doesn't text.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 01:39:49 PM »
That's why you turn you phone to greyscale and ringer off. It makes everything, "blah". All the colors and tones are designed as a reward mechanism for your brain. By turning the phone to greyscale, you tone the colors down, which makes you less prone to pick it up and fiddle with it.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 03:35:37 PM »

Occasionally you see someone without a cell phone who takes several minute rests between sets. Not sure why they do this, but this is also very annoying. In a gym I worked out in many years ago this fearsome looking fellow would aggressively tell people resting too long to "Use it or lose it." This seemed to work for him. Wonder if he ever got any flack back?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 03:42:17 PM »
Training in my basement lately but when I trained in the commercial gym the best time was around 9AM. Nothing but retired cops, veterans and old people. A few hardcore was thrown into the mix. After work hours at 5P was the worst crowd. It's a zoo.

That's one reason I like having a membership at 24 Hour Fitness. After 9:00 p.m. you practically have the run of the place. I'm not a morning person so 9 a.m. doesn't work for me. I've even worked out at 2:00 a.m. That time there was only one other person there. It's almost like having a private gym.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 03:44:43 PM »
Drives me fucking nuts.  The worst offenders at my health club (LA Fitness) are women.  They will get on a machine, do a short set, then sit there and text or whatever with their phones for five minutes or more, then do short set, then sit there and spend another five minutes or more with their phone, do a short set, another at least five minutes on the phone, et cetera, et cetera.  I try to be polite and wait but oftentimes I have to move on to a different exercise.

You're too polite. Say something to the person hogging the equipment. "Can I work in" or "how many more sets do you have" works every time.