Author Topic: How Arnold really brought up his calves?  (Read 18167 times)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
Re: How Arnold really brought up his calves?
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2020, 01:13:24 AM »
I did a google search and supposedly Rick Wayne also claimed Arnold told him he started at 13. Not saying it's true though  :D

From the book Muscle, Smoke and mirrors:

Well, I don't know why Arnold would lie in his autobiography. The earlier he could claim he started would show how focused he was a such a young age.

TheGreatOak

• Getbig II
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2020, 02:04:28 AM »
Arnold's first contests were in April of 1964, when he was 16 years old. That's not a physique from 3 years of steroid use, if from any at all.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2020, 02:36:01 AM »
Anyone have an educated, realistic guess as to when Arnold first used anabolic steroids? I read somewhere that Arnold's old coach in Austria, forget the name, claimed Arnold took Dianabol, I think it was, at 13 years old. I think it came from that unauthorized biography of Arnold. Now that may sound like just a crazy rumor, 13 years old, a child! But these drugs were in fact given to kids and it has been documented. There was East Germany. Later even American docs gave them to kids like The Coach here on getbig.

But could Arnold have taken them at 13? I mean he did take them as a teen but 13 years old would be real early. I always thought early use could affect your "genetics" and your ultimate muscular potential.

Kurt Marnul. He was an ex bodybuilder and gym owner, who got to know Arnold and his brother. Apparently he liked the older brother's physique more, but Arnold was the one that kept coming back. As to when he first started, somewhere between 13 - 15 is the rumor by Wendy Leigh, who wrote the unauthorized biography that Arnold hated, and another biographer. She also stated that Rick Wayne was told by Arnold, that Arnold started at 13.

Laurence Leamer, the other Arnold biographer, states that a Dr. Karl Gerstl was involved later, as he was a student of Marnul, and friends with Arnold around the time he was 15.

A long history of Arnold's supposed drug history is cataloged in the book "Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors" by Randy Roach. It's a scholarly tome, that was well received in many circles -

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Muscle_Smoke_and_Mirrors/lOrf_dHX-RgC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=kurt+marnul+steroids&pg=PA28&printsec=frontcover .

It should link to the Marnul part, then read down, also maybe read up, as there is lots of gossip in the preceding pages. Anyway, play with it a bit, as Google Books can be funny, as I'm sure you know.

(edit, I see you found it :)! )

(edit 2 - Most of the book seems to be free to view, the really good Arnold gossip starts in Chapter 2 / page 25).

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2020, 02:49:50 AM »
Ian Halperin, a noted celebrity biographer, states he asked Marnul about steroids, and Arnold, and Marnul admitted being Arnold's supplier. From Halperin's "The Governator" book, page 43 -

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Governator_LP/1vV82HcdMAcC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=kurt+marnul+steroids&pg=PA43&printsec=frontcover .

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2020, 03:01:48 AM »
Marnul a few years ago - .

Marnul kinda young - .

Marnul and Arnold, circa 1965 -

More Arnold progression pics from that era -

http://www.gmv.com.au/default.asp?pageid=home&template=content&sid=283 .

https://www.muscle-fitness.cz/galerie-borcu-z-athletik-union-graz/ .

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2020, 03:23:26 AM »

Marnul and Arnold, circa 1965 -

This is worst Arnold pic I've ever seen haha  :D

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2020, 03:29:37 AM »
This is worst Arnold pic I've ever seen haha  :D

It reminds me of the Frogtech meme from years ago -

If only Frogtech boy met Marnul :(.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2020, 04:30:47 AM »
Well, I don't know why Arnold would lie in his autobiography. The earlier he could claim he started would show how focused he was a such a young age.

Arnold lied about many things, particularly after he entered politics.

For example, he said he only used small amounts right before a contest.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2020, 04:51:11 AM »
                 at 18 or 19 you be the judge

that had to be photoshopped

bigbychoices

• Getbig III
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2020, 07:10:58 AM »
  never believe anything rick wayne writes or says. he is a racist lying jealous human being.  hes only happy when he praises blacks. he was really never an anybody in bodybuilding ( he thought he was though). he competed and did well but always blamed racism when he or any other black lost.  just like every black. if they win its perfect if they lose its racist.  go back and read some of his stuff if you dont believe what i say. he was a decent bodybuilder but very very jealous of arnold. he trys to act like he was "in the know" with everything.  weider fired his ass and then he had no where to go except back to his old country and write for a newspaper ( he tried to start his own but that failed of course just like mentzers magazine too) i think he married mae mollicka or teagan or something. she was a stripper /bodybuilder..   i do not know arnold but its a guess he started dball at 15. i started at 16 from a doctor and if i had known at 15 i would of then too. thise was way before anyone knew about side effects etc.  now i tell people the same things. build a base first reach your natural potential ( maybe 1-2 years of good training and eating etc) then use small amounts

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2020, 07:12:51 AM »
1968 Mr. Germany

These are not the calves of someone with poor calf genetics.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2020, 12:25:26 PM »
Kurt Marnul. He was an ex bodybuilder and gym owner, who got to know Arnold and his brother. Apparently he liked the older brother's physique more, but Arnold was the one that kept coming back. As to when he first started, somewhere between 13 - 15 is the rumor by Wendy Leigh, who wrote the unauthorized biography that Arnold hated, and another biographer. She also stated that Rick Wayne was told by Arnold, that Arnold started at 13.

Laurence Leamer, the other Arnold biographer, states that a Dr. Karl Gerstal was involved later, as he was a student of Marnul, and friends with Arnold around the time he was 15.

A long history of Arnold's supposed drug history is cataloged in the book "Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors" by Randy Roach. It's a scholarly tome, that was well received in many circles -

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Muscle_Smoke_and_Mirrors/lOrf_dHX-RgC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=kurt+marnul+steroids&pg=PA28&printsec=frontcover .

It should link to the Marnul part, then read down, also maybe read up, as there is lots of gossip in the preceding pages. Anyway, play with it a bit, as Google Books can be funny, as I'm sure you know.

(edit, I see you found it :)! )

(edit 2 - Most of the book seems to be free to view, the really good Arnold gossip starts in Chapter 2 / page 25).

I don't think it is credible that he would start steroids before he started bbing. Also, steroids aren't free. I don't think he had a lot of disposal income when his family didn't have running water and an indoor bathroom up until he was 14.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2020, 12:33:53 PM »
I don't think it is credible that he would start steroids before he started bbing. Also, steroids aren't free. I don't think he had a lot of disposal income when his family didn't have running water and an indoor bathroom up until he was 14.

He probably didn't start at 13 though money is not an issue when it comes to gear. My brother had a weekly allowance of half a dollar and managed to score some dbol at 13 lol :D It's curious how some people have a need to invent these stories, even guys who provably knew Arnold. I remember an interview with Rick Wayne when I was starting out and I wasn't sure if he was building Arnold up or tearing him down. He said when not training Arnold was depressing to look at, he had this almost inverted chest but when he was on he was amazing  :D
But why make up this stuff about Arnold? Same with Marnul.
I wonder if Robbie's stories were true, how Arnold chanted "down with blacks!" :D
What about the story of Arnold saying he looked up to Hitler? :D

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2020, 12:37:16 PM »
Arnold lied about many things, particularly after he entered politics.

For example, he said he only used small amounts right before a contest.

That seems to implied that because he lies about somethings he lies about everything. It's easy to see why he would lie about steroids. Why would he lie back in 1978 about when he started bbing. I would think his incentive would to say he started younger that 15 years old though even then it would be trivial.

And often people accuse others of lying when they don't even know what a lie is. A lie is not saying something that is not true. A lie is saying something that YOU KNOW is not true. Big difference.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2020, 12:39:28 PM »

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2020, 12:47:20 PM »
1968 Mr. Germany

These are not the calves of someone with poor calf genetics.

I think, at least back in the 70s when I started training, when someone starts out bbing they don't do calves. I never thought about calves for many years. Like Arnold, it was all about arms and chest. I don't think  Arnold put much effort into calves. Rising on your toes like a ballerina didn't have the same appeal as bench or curls. Remember, a sizable majority neglect their legs entirely when they first start out. I think he made it priority when it was pointed out to him. Reg Park inspired him to train calves hard. Remember in this first autobiography he mentioned how Dennis Tinnerino told Arnold to train his calves and then flexed his own to Arnold. Arnold commented on Tinnerino's diamond shaped calves.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2020, 01:12:18 PM »

I don't believe the the implants story, that just seems like a game of telephone at this point.

I can totally believe steroids at 15, but not 13. Steroids were cheap, etc...., and we had kids recently that spent about the same on bottles of Superdrol, etc..... Also Marnul is 17 years older than Arnold, and his buddy Dr. Gerstl was 5 years older, and a medical student, so who knows if they were hooking him up a bit.

Also the bit about Arnold looking at natural at 15/16 is neither here, nor there. 99% of the guys from the 60's roided or natural looked like nothing compared to even teenagers today.

Here he is at 16 -

For that era, you can't say he is natural or not.

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2020, 01:28:34 PM »
Also, another thing about Marnul is that Schwarzenegger still hangs out with him even after the steroid talk. He sees him when he's in Europe, he's had Marnul out to California. Arnold doesn't seem the type to forgive people, so he might not see Marnul talking about it as a big deal.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2020, 01:51:26 PM »
In 1967?

facetious
[fəˈsēSHəs]
ADJECTIVE
treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2020, 02:05:21 PM »
hey guys i have a great idea instead of making good use of our time today lets ponder the probabilities of whether Arnold was juicing at 13 or did he start at 15 I HAVE TO KNOW!

LETS GET A TEAM ASSEMBLED IMMEDIATELY

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2020, 02:24:32 PM »
I don't believe the the implants story, that just seems like a game of telephone at this point.

I can totally believe steroids at 15, but not 13. Steroids were cheap, etc...., and we had kids recently that spent about the same on bottles Superdrol, etc..... Also Marnul is 17 years older than Arnold, and his buddy Dr. Gerstl was 5 years older, and a medical student, so who knows if they were hooking him up a bit.

Also the bit about Arnold looking at natural at 15/16 is neither here, nor there. 99% of the guys from the 60's roided or natural looked like nothing compared to even teenagers today.

Here he is at 16 -

For that era, you can't say he is natural or not.
looks natural tbh.

at 17-18 he looked enhanced

18 here:

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2020, 04:54:50 PM »
1973  When we saw these photos in a magazine we were both amazed and surprised. He had really good thickness from the side but that calf sure looked weird. I don't think I have seen a similar structure in any other bodybuilder.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2020, 05:07:58 PM »
Those Nazis always had the best drugs.

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2020, 05:56:45 PM »
Why should we believe you? How do we know that you even knew Roger Callard let alone have him confide in you? Why would he confide in you or in anybody and then have them tell you their deep dark secrets? How come we have never seen pics of Arnold training with Callard? They trained in the same gym but what evidence that they were close buddies that Arnold would confide to? Why would Arnold tell Callard he got implants? Have you seen implants? They don't flex. They don't look anything like Arnold's calves which are ripped and flexes naturally. How did surgeons in Mexico do calf implants 50 years ago that are so much better than the implants of today? I know three people that have had calf implants. One had it done in the early 1990s and the other two in 2000. They look like implants to the trained eye. Since when is Mexico on the cutting edge of enhancement surgery to make an implant so flawless, without any visible scars, all done 50 years ago? Why did Arnold's calves shrink when he retired and then blew back up for 1980?

I know you have a very, very dim view of bbing even though you are here on a bbing board. I'm sorry if I burst your bubble but high-level bbing is one of the most demanding 24/7 sports in the world and requires a level of commitment and discipline few can manage. Only the bitter and deluded think that it's based all on deceit and bullshit. Maybe you should go back and watch some videos of Dorian or Coleman and tell me what they are doing day after day, year after year, all deceit and bullshit.

I know Rodger Callard and have since the late 70s. Arnold and Roger trained together but anything negative said about Roger is pure BS. Including the calf implant story.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2020, 08:51:36 PM »
The inner head shows what could be evidence of site injection, due to the denseness of the calves the scar tissue can sometimes be kept under wraps better than other body parts, I'm not saying he did it, but the lumps are consistent with others i have seen, this isn't escicline it isn't synthol, most likely knowing what era it was it was primo depot. The benefits to this injection and result are the increased blood flow from the injection trauma, the mind muscle connection is so much better after going through this for individuals. I learned about this type of practice from Robby when in venice early 90s who's also from that era. Im not saying thats what he did, I'm just saying thats what he might have done, thees no way they are implants, and the method of stimulating calve growth from site injections works in some people, especially people with small knees and ankles as its more illusion than anything. The secret is not to over do it, which was lost on many black guys last decade or two, but its been around for decades and its no secret in venice and others mentioned in this thread have done it as well. Its not that easy to spot when guys haven't overdone it like nasser or flex did.