Author Topic: How Arnold really brought up his calves?  (Read 18055 times)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Re: How Arnold really brought up his calves?
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2020, 06:53:23 AM »
Here's Patrick Arnold (of Balco fame) telling the Arnold Calf Implant Story on Misc.Fitness.Weights back in May 1996  -

"Arnold had no calves.

Patrick Arnold is no dummy but saying he had "no calves" is idiotic, and it's been repeated thousands of times all over. It's plain idiocy as can be seen in pics in this thread. He had calves the same shape from the start and you can see that he had the fibers to work with, nice full bellies. Definitely didn't look like they came up more than the rest of him, looks to me like he just got bigger overall.

And I don't believe he trained them in some inhuman fashion never seen before or since, like is always repeated. What dod they say, 1,500lbs standing calf raises every day or some such shit? Anyone would damage their feet and tendons doing this every day. The footage I've seen of Arnold training looks pretty low stress, more high volume sweating as opposed to extremely intense high density grinding training. No one goes twice a day high volume and trains real hard, as in extreme intensity every set.

Now is it impossible he had some experimental injections put in his calves? Maybe not, who knows.
But he didn't look like he had done any site injections in any of his muscles. The look of oil injections is unmistakable, but it's amazing how even long term fans can't spot site injections in cases that are obvious to me. There's a pretty current thread on professionalmuscle about Dusty Hanshaw where I'm arguing with people on this subject and many just can't spot SEO.
But Arnold didn't have that look.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2020, 07:39:46 AM »
Patrick Arnold is no dummy but saying he had "no calves" is idiotic, and it's been repeated thousands of times all over. It's plain idiocy as can be seen in pics in this thread. He had calves the same shape from the start and you can see that he had the fibers to work with, nice full bellies. Definitely didn't look like they came up more than the rest of him, looks to me like he just got bigger overall.

And I don't believe he trained them in some inhuman fashion never seen before or since, like is always repeated. What dod they say, 1,500lbs standing calf raises every day or some such shit? Anyone would damage their feet and tendons doing this every day. The footage I've seen of Arnold training looks pretty low stress, more high volume sweating as opposed to extremely intense high density grinding training. No one goes twice a day high volume and trains real hard, as in extreme intensity every set.

Now is it impossible he had some experimental injections put in his calves? Maybe not, who knows.
But he didn't look like he had done any site injections in any of his muscles. The look of oil injections is unmistakable, but it's amazing how even long term fans can't spot site injections in cases that are obvious to me. There's a pretty current thread on professionalmuscle about Dusty Hanshaw where I'm arguing with people on this subject and many just can't spot SEO.
well put ..guys used escecline sp?all over back then if needed to temporarily swell parts .

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2020, 08:05:44 AM »

Patrick Arnold is one smart guy- I read lots of his articles over the years and he is a pretty good organic chemist. Not genius level but still a great technician.

But that being said- he spread gossip as good as any one else- and he probably was trolling people with his stories.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2020, 08:24:15 AM »
Patrick Arnold is one smart guy- I read lots of his articles over the years and he is a pretty good organic chemist. Not genius level but still a great technician.

But that being said- he spread gossip as good as any one else- and he probably was trolling people with his stories.

Patrick is great at finding new drugs, both PEDs and recreational, most we've probably not even heard of. Probably worked with many athletes who never got caught. Kind of reckless, taking risks with his freedom and maybe peoples health too, just the way I like my gurus :D

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2020, 09:00:58 AM »
Odd piece of gossip found in the MFW files - Duchaine had Nadler give him a facelift in 1996.

If anyone is bored, and wants to read old gossip, the Google search feature changed and is working really well for Misc.Fitness.Weights, which was the premier bodybuilding forum/newsgroup in the mid 90's.

https://groups.google.com/g/misc.fitness.weights .

Search by topic at the top.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2020, 09:22:18 AM »
His calves and pecs were built with hard work........something that seems to be forgotten about in this sport these days.

How can anyone with any knowledge of bodybuilding or anatomy look at his pecs and calves and believe he had implants?

Fucking ridiculous !!
And those implants would have been performed in the '60's.  Pec and calf implants today look like shit, just imagine them 5 decades earlier.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2020, 12:49:02 PM »
Here's Patrick Arnold (of Balco fame) telling the Arnold Calf Implant Story on Misc.Fitness.Weights back in May 1996  -

"Arnold had no calves. Then he went to visit his friend Reg Park in South Africa (where a certain prominent cosmetic surgeon happened to have his residence also.) He stayed a couple of months. The only pictures of him there were of him in Reg's pool with calves underwater and such. Arnold comes back to America with huge calves. Coincidence? When questioned about his huge gains in the calf department, Arnold claims Reg taught him to train them heavy and that this was the 'secret'. Well, for the rest of us heavy calf training does not give anywhere near dramatic results. Am I making this up?

I was told this story by a certain renowned plastic surgeon who goes by the initials B.N., who, though he admitted there is only circumstantial evidence, certainly is qualified to spot such a thing. "

---------------------------

It's the same version Duchaine told, except for Duchaine adding the "small silicone injections" part as how it could've been done.  I'm guessing the "B N" is Bruce Nadler, who was a famous bodybuilding plastic surgeon years ago. He'd be involved in a murder - suicide with his wife in the early 2000's, so if there was more to the story, it's gone now.

To be fair to Duchaine, etc....., he usually never told it as fact, it was just one of those pieces of bodybuilding lore that floats around.

Have fun with it :).

------------------

Edit - Duchaine and the silicone bit in 1996, discussing it vs Synthol (not in relation to Arnold, but how the technique works)  -

"Why bother with an oil?

The same size needle would pass silicone and it would be safer and last forever. Small injections would allow the body to naturally encapsulate the silicone so it will stay put."

Well, it did not last forever. It went down when he stopped training, there are pictures everywhere when he was still young but much smaller. They were smaller when he retired and came back when he competed in 1980.

Who would have thought they would have state of the art plastic surgery for calves fifty years ago in South Africa that surpasses anything that we see today and when breast implants were in the beginning stages. I thought it was in Mexico. After all, his close and intimate friend, Roger Callard said so.

Why didn't Reg Park get these implants that he recommended to Arnold? And, yes, you can get dramatic results from training if you can handle the pain. I did.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2020, 12:52:19 PM »
   arnold did know roger callard but only from being in the gym. they never hung out etc.  in fact arnold himself mentions callard about back trainng. he told callard to include bent over rows tbar rows dumbell rows etc to build back "thickness" cuz all callard used to do was pulldowns etc.   funny how these implant stories change. one said 'weider" hooked him up with a mexican doctoe in mexico. another south america. another with dick sucker nadler etc.  in truth arnold was like everyone else. he trained calves last in  his workout and alot of times he missed them completly.  then he went to reg and reg explainded to him about what calves were designed to do ( dense muscle fiber and for everyday use. basically saying you can not over train them no matter what)  so he then started everyday calf training more and more weight and training them first in his workouts.  lots of sets and kept reps low( usually 10 or so) plus he trained them most of the time BAREFOOT.  try it. you will see how much more you can feel your calves. also he cut off the bottoms of his sweats to expose them so he had to train them  cuz people made comments.   oh and duchaine liked to joke and say things for reactions etc. the female who did that actually had someone use silicone ( hardware store stuff) and thats what caused her problems.  she didnt understand what he meant ( just like when duchaine said mike mentzer used to drink his own urine.  he didnt he had to carry a jug around to piss in for the doctor to check his kidneys out)  duchaine was always doing shit like that. a steroid and body genius but also a little warpped. lol

"BAREFOOT" I can say that made a difference with me. You get a much better contraction doing them barefoot.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2020, 12:56:57 PM »
Well, it did not last forever. It went down when he stopped training, there are pictures everywhere when he was still young but much smaller. They were smaller when he retired and came back when he competed in 1980.

Who would have thought they would have state of the art plastic surgery for calves fifty years ago in South Africa that surpasses anything that we see today and when breast implants were in the beginning stages. I thought it was in Mexico. After all, his close and intimate friend, Roger Callard said so.

Why didn't Reg Park get these implants that he recommended to Arnold? And, yes, you can get dramatic results from training if you can handle the pain. I did.
Pellius, I would like to thank you. I actually take the time to read your diatribes. Usually insightful, mildly creepy, but it comes from the heart.

Or asshole.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2020, 12:57:40 PM »

I didn't know Callard, my source was another guy who trained at Olympic Health club in LA in 1975....
Clean weight-training and bodybuilding is a great pastime but competitive bodybuilding is cesspool of narcissistic, drug addicted phonies standing on a stage in their underwear  screaming to the World "look at this beautiful body I've created by injecting dangerous, unhealthy drugs"
You seem like a smart guy, I'm surprised you are so invested in this phony charade.

You've been around bbing forever and very experienced. I am shocked and surprised that you could be so naive to believe this bull shit.

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2020, 01:06:35 PM »
I thought I could have read that Eduardo Kawak felt that Len Archambault might have heard that Franco Columbu routinely flew to Budweiser headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri to ride Clydesdale horses in an effort to become even more bowlegged, which Franco thought gave him a competitive edge against the inferior straight-legged competitors, who Columbu despised.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2020, 01:50:00 PM »
I thought I could have read that Eduardo Kawak felt that Len Archambault might have heard that Franco Columbu routinely flew to Budweiser headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri to ride Clydesdale horses in an effort to become even more bowlegged, which Franco thought gave him a competitive edge against the inferior straight-legged competitors, who Columbu despised.

Truth.

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »
No way did Arnold have calf injections or implants.  You can see the muscle fibers moving when he flexed them.  Oil and implants don't flex.

That's right^

They're not implants, anyone who thinks they were is clueless..

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2020, 03:58:07 PM »
How hard is it to understand arnold had real calves and real pecs, he trained them hard, ate, took peds, end of story

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2020, 04:29:39 PM »
And those implants would have been performed in the '60's.  Pec and calf implants today look like shit, just imagine them 5 decades earlier.
I hear ya` !!

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2020, 10:46:24 PM »
Anyone have an educated, realistic guess as to when Arnold first used anabolic steroids? I read somewhere that Arnold's old coach in Austria, forget the name, claimed Arnold took Dianabol, I think it was, at 13 years old. I think it came from that unauthorized biography of Arnold. Now that may sound like just a crazy rumor, 13 years old, a child! But these drugs were in fact given to kids and it has been documented. There was East Germany. Later even American docs gave them to kids like The Coach here on getbig.

But could Arnold have taken them at 13? I mean he did take them as a teen but 13 years old would be real early. I always thought early use could affect your "genetics" and your ultimate muscular potential.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2020, 10:48:37 PM »
Well known he used escaline to bring up the calfs.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2020, 11:15:01 PM »

I wouldn't say "well known". I doubt it was even in production during Arnold's time. Moreover, it doesn't bring up anything, it's just an inflammatory agent with very temporary effects, as in just hours.

It's just a locally irritating anabolic steroid, not a site enhancing product as some seem to think. Kind of like Test Prop, only "worse".

What's amazing is why no one, to my knowledge, ordered this to be manufactured in China.

Anyone here play with hyaluronic acid site injections or seen people do it? Opinion on it? Someone on another forum claimed Luke Sandoe was doing 50-100ml of the stuff a day before he passed.

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2020, 11:46:35 PM »
Anyone have an educated, realistic guess as to when Arnold first used anabolic steroids? I read somewhere that Arnold's old coach in Austria, forget the name, claimed Arnold took Dianabol, I think it was, at 13 years old. I think it came from that unauthorized biography of Arnold. Now that may sound like just a crazy rumor, 13 years old, a child! But these drugs were in fact given to kids and it has been documented. There was East Germany. Later even American docs gave them to kids like The Coach here on getbig.

But could Arnold have taken them at 13? I mean he did take them as a teen but 13 years old would be real early. I always thought early use could affect your "genetics" and your ultimate muscular potential.

Not 13!

In education of a bodybuilder he says he started first lifting weights for soccer at around 13-14 these were his first ever weightlifting experiences...

If you read the info in that book in particular and then look at his pics progression I think he certainly started dbol around 16 years years old... 16 would Imo be a very good guess.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2020, 11:56:22 PM »

I'm surprised you haven't read his original autobiography (which he wrote when he was 30 years old -- lol). He stated that he started lifting weights at 15 years old. There were some older fellows that took him under their wing so I would imagine it wasn't too long before they introduced him to dbol. I would guess 16-17 years old. Not sure if a year or two of natural training constitutes a sufficient "base" to insure that he developed "real" muscle.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2020, 12:41:12 AM »

No, it's not. I never understand why people just make these things up. First off, Escaline is a psychedelic rec drug, it's Esiclene you mean. So much for common knowledge. In fact, most bbers even today have never even heard of Esiclene that was so well known in the 60s-70s. Why is it "well known" and mentioned repeated throughout the decades that Arnold use Primo, Deca, dbol but no mention, never ever of Esiclene? Do you even know when Esciline was invented? Why no mention of it during the 70s and 80s yet it was "well known" that Arnold used it. By who? You have all these guys claiming he got implants but no one, not a single person, ever mentions Escilene. Why? Because nobody used it? Nobody were even aware of it. It's a weak steroid that caused a lot of inflammation. More so than Suspension or Prop. Bill Phillips wrote an article about Escilene as being useful for bbing because that inflammation will last for a few days and some started experimenting with it. Inflammation was a side effect of the compound but not the original purpose.

Arnold never heard of Escilene and never used it let alone that it was well known that he did. Stop making claims you have no way of knowing. Doesn't anyone find it odd that it was only Arnold who had access to all these state of the art compounds and procedures that only became well know and popular beginning in the 1990s? It was "well-known" that he had implants, used cadaver gh, used Escilene, use Synthol (as claimed in another thread) but nobody else. Not Oliva, Louie, Zane, Serge, Grant, Tinnerino... they all knew what he was doing but didn't do it themselves. They just accepted defeat. And think about it, think for just a minute, one of Arnold's flaws which he was aware of but never admitted it but you can see it by how he posed to minimize the flaw was that he had somewhat wide hips and sloping shoulders. Why use Escilene only in his calves, which were already the best in the world, and not add a few drops into his shoulders to enhance the waist to shoulders ratio? Just use some common sense for chrissakes!

It really a sign of the times when so many believe that you simply can't accomplish anything in life without some kind of deep dark secret. His peers could have done exactly what Arnold did in regard to drugs, training, and diet and they still wouldn't have beaten Arnold. Arnold used what everybody else used. Ate what everybody else ate. He exceeded because of genetics and being so insanely driven and had a personality that captivated the public.

Why is it so hard to believe that Arnold was Arnold simply because he was Arnold?

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2020, 01:04:08 AM »
Not 13!

In education of a bodybuilder he says he started first lifting weights for soccer at around 13-14 these were his first ever weightlifting experiences...

If you read the info in that book in particular and then look at his pics progression I think he certainly started dbol around 16 years years old... 16 would Imo be a very good guess.

Yes, the way it is written and how he got in so quickly and seamlessly with the "in" crowd that took him to parties and introduce him to girls and really took him under their wing I would guess 16 years old as well.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2020, 01:04:37 AM »
Let us examine the photos of Arnold's calves. There is something weird about his calves. Strange lumps.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2020, 01:08:22 AM »
I'm surprised you haven't read his original autobiography (which he wrote when he was 30 years old -- lol). He stated that he started lifting weights at 15 years old. There were some older fellows that took him under their wing so I would imagine it wasn't too long before they introduced him to dbol. I would guess 16-17 years old. Not sure if a year or two of natural training constitutes a sufficient "base" to insure that he developed "real" muscle.

I did a google search and supposedly Rick Wayne also claimed Arnold told him he started at 13. Not saying it's true though  :D

From the book Muscle, Smoke and mirrors:

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2020, 01:11:38 AM »
Let us examine the photos of Arnold's calves. There is something weird about his calves. Strange lumps.

Yes, extreme conditioning and definition that you are not going to get with a shot or implant. Compare that with Ferrigno's calves during his come back or Dexter's calves when he used synthol. A whole different phony look.