Author Topic: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401k  (Read 226048 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401k (2018)
« Reply #175 on: October 11, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »
Crawls out from under his rock 4 months later.

Will disappear when the market rises.  He’s like a weatherman predicting it will rain at some undisclosed date in 2018.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #176 on: October 11, 2018, 11:26:45 PM »
I hope it fucking rises soon.  This is my worst year since The Big O got us out of the recession.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2018, 01:09:43 AM »
"Here's Why the Stock Market Is Dropping — and What You Should Do About It Now

On Thursday, the Dow dropped 546 points. Following an even more tumultuous Wednesday, the index has now plunged nearly 1,380 points in just two days. The stock market, which seemed to be humming along with the rest of the U.S. economy, may look wobbly."

http://time.com/money/5421793/stock-market-crash-dow-investment-advice/

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2018, 06:12:28 AM »
"Here's Why the Stock Market Is Dropping — and What You Should Do About It Now

On Thursday, the Dow dropped 546 points. Following an even more tumultuous Wednesday, the index has now plunged nearly 1,380 points in just two days. The stock market, which seemed to be humming along with the rest of the U.S. economy, may look wobbly."

http://time.com/money/5421793/stock-market-crash-dow-investment-advice/

Great article, which reiterates what I and others here have been saying all along.  Still though, I wonder why you chose to quote that one paragraph, out of context, making it seem like this it's all negative.  Why didn't you also quote these paragraphs?

"While 1,300 points sounds like a lot, the Dow Jones Industrial Average began Wednesday at more than 26,400. So the decline ultimately represented a loss of just over 5%. In other words, the stock market is back where it was in roughly mid-July."

"If you are a broadly diversified buy-and-hold investor — as you should be — your U.S. stock holdings are still likely up slightly on the year."

"The correct reaction to a one-day market move is, of course, to do nothing at all."

"After all, it was only in February when the Dow plunged 1,175 points in a single day — the biggest point drop in history. Soon after that, the stock market quickly recovered and went on to new record highs."

"What’s more, while traders partly attribute the latest Dow drop to rising interest rates, that should be good news in the long run. Don’t forget: The Federal Reserve is acting because the economy is so strong it’s in danger of overheating. In other words, all this could well turn out to be another blip."

"you should be aware that sooner or later stocks will face a major sell-off. The current bull market — now nine years old — is the oldest in history. "

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2018, 06:45:47 AM »
Just wait till it drops 20-50%.  That is the big one.

Like being in the middle of the ocean on a boat with a hole in it with no radio.  You are going down, baby.

A decline like this won't happen all in one day most likely but steadily over several weeks to a month.

Like a balloon losing air.

People who were all in stocks will be crying about how unfair life is and how evil Wall Street is.

Same shat all over again.  It's cyclical.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2018, 05:14:32 AM »

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2018, 10:30:05 AM »

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2018, 12:08:10 PM »
Great article, which reiterates what I and others here have been saying all along.  Still though, I wonder why you chose to quote that one paragraph, out of context, making it seem like this it's all negative.  Why didn't you also quote these paragraphs?

"While 1,300 points sounds like a lot, the Dow Jones Industrial Average began Wednesday at more than 26,400. So the decline ultimately represented a loss of just over 5%. In other words, the stock market is back where it was in roughly mid-July."

"If you are a broadly diversified buy-and-hold investor — as you should be — your U.S. stock holdings are still likely up slightly on the year."

"The correct reaction to a one-day market move is, of course, to do nothing at all."

"After all, it was only in February when the Dow plunged 1,175 points in a single day — the biggest point drop in history. Soon after that, the stock market quickly recovered and went on to new record highs."

"What’s more, while traders partly attribute the latest Dow drop to rising interest rates, that should be good news in the long run. Don’t forget: The Federal Reserve is acting because the economy is so strong it’s in danger of overheating. In other words, all this could well turn out to be another blip."

"you should be aware that sooner or later stocks will face a major sell-off. The current bull market — now nine years old — is the oldest in history. "

What I chose to post not as calculated as you might think. I try to remember to include links in my posts so that anyone interested in more can follow them. Also, I am not a gambler and ever since my banker talked me into moving money in a CD to higher yield investments, I've been on edge about it.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #184 on: October 24, 2018, 12:25:40 PM »
Last week I got an annual report from my investment manager. My conservative and less conservative mix of investments earned 1.5%. Whoopee!!! Tell me, how can I get on the Trump gravy train?

Fire your investment manager immediately.  He's a hardened criminal who is raping you.  Then again, you might like that.  I don't know.  I'm not judging.

A portfolio with a mixture of low cost, broad, whole US stock, whole international stock, and whole US bond(gov & corp, short, mid, and long term) index funds should be returning at least 6% right now.  And this is somewhat conservative.

A young or middle age person investing all into a single low cost, whole(small, mid, and large cap) US stock market index fund should be seeing returns of 11% to 13% right now.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: October 24, 2018, 12:47:52 PM »
What I chose to post not as calculated as you might think. I try to remember to include links in my posts so that anyone interested in more can follow them. Also, I am not a gambler and ever since my banker talked me into moving money in a CD to higher yield investments, I've been on edge about it.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #186 on: October 24, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: October 24, 2018, 03:06:53 PM »
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Thanks for the link. The fellow in the picture makes me look like a teenager.   ;D

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
Did it crash yet ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2018, 05:08:47 AM »
Famous crashes...

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2018, 05:28:36 AM »
Thanks for the link. The fellow in the picture makes me look like a teenager.   ;D

John Clifton "Jack" Bogle (born May 8, 1929) is an American investor, business magnate, and philanthropist. He is the founder and retired chief executive of The Vanguard Group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Bogle

Founder and former chairman John C. Bogle is credited with the creation of the first index fund available to individual investors and has been a proponent of and a major enabler of low-cost investing by individuals. Vanguard is structured as a mutual company; it is owned by funds managed by the company, and is therefore owned by its customers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vanguard_Group

Bogle's innovative idea was creating the world's first index mutual fund in 1975. Bogle's idea was that instead of beating the index and charging high costs, the index fund would mimic the index performance over the long run—thus achieving higher returns with lower costs than the costs associated with actively managed funds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Bogle#Investment_philosophy

In 1976, influenced by the works of Paul Samuelson, Bogle founded First Index Investment Trust (a precursor to the Vanguard 500 Index Fund) as the first index mutual fund available to the general public. In a 2005 speech, Samuelson ranked "this Bogle invention along with the invention of the wheel, the alphabet, Gutenberg printing"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Bogle#Investment_career

During his high-earning years at Vanguard he regularly gave half his salary to charity, including Blair Academy and Princeton.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Bogle#Wealth_and_philanthropy

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _________________

Warren Buffett Just Won a $1 Million Bet

December 30, 2017

In 2007, Warren Buffett bet a million dollars that an index fund would outperform a collection of hedge funds over the course of 10 years. This week he won that bet.

Over the course of the bet the S&P 500 index fund returned 7.1% compounded annually, significantly more than the basket of funds selected by an asset manager at Protégé Partners. That basket only returned an average of 2.2%.

http://fortune.com/2017/12/30/warren-buffett-million-dollar-bet/

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #191 on: October 26, 2018, 08:07:57 AM »
Margin calls/leveraged positions are unwinding.

Enjoy the show!

-NT

Bloodbath.

Enjoy the show!

-NT

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #192 on: October 26, 2018, 08:17:10 AM »

Did you ladder them?

https://www.bankrate.com/calculators/cd/cd-ladder-calculator.aspx
:

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2018, 08:55:01 AM »

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2018, 08:57:21 AM »
Famous crashes...

Bloodbath!

Enjoy the show!

-NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #195 on: October 26, 2018, 09:04:29 AM »

Enjoy the show.

-NT

Current position: SHORT all indexes.

Enjoy the show!

-NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #196 on: October 26, 2018, 01:42:29 PM »

Enjoy the show.

-NT

Another great day on Wall Street! $$$$$$$

Enjoy the show!

-NT

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #197 on: October 26, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #198 on: October 26, 2018, 03:13:20 PM »
Dow DOWN -2,300 points in October.

Enjoy the show! 🤑🤑🤑🤑🤑

-NT

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »
Stocks hammered again? 🤑

Enjoy the show!

-NT