Author Topic: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401k  (Read 225952 times)

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
Re: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401k
« Reply #1175 on: June 21, 2020, 09:31:13 AM »
I'm happy my 401 is ONLY down 2% ytd. If it can be even or up a smidge by EOY I'll be in good shape as the next 8 years of Democrats in control will bring the stable yet significant gains we haven't seen since 2009-2016.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #1176 on: June 21, 2020, 10:23:27 AM »
Jack Bogle would shit a brick right now and go short, haha.

By the way, as I've been saying for you buy and hold forever types....what has been will not always be....example - an article on how racist the 401k system is:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/one-way-to-reduce-the-racial-wealth-gap-is-with-more-401-ks-expert-192330366.html

Listen to what they say the answer is....offering equal results for unequal input. NOT based in reality and certainly NOT bullish for long term investing.
I knew this was coming.  Investing is racist!  When the left gets the House, Senate and Presidency look for them to start eyeballing the stock market with all of those billions and thinking of all the great programs they could create if they were in charge of all that money.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #1177 on: June 21, 2020, 08:17:49 PM »
I'm happy my 401 is ONLY down 2% ytd. If it can be even or up a smidge by EOY I'll be in good shape as the next 8 years of Democrats in control will bring the stable yet significant gains we haven't seen since 2009-2016.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #1178 on: June 22, 2020, 08:48:45 AM »
BULLISH!!!

In June, 30 percent of Americans missed their housing payments, down slightly from 31 percent in May but still up from 24 percent in April.

Some eviction and foreclosure protections are beginning to expire, creating concern that many Americans will soon lose their housing as a result of missed payments. 37 percent of renters (and 26 percent of homeowners) are at least somewhat concerned that in the next six months they will face an eviction or foreclosure.

https://www.apartmentlist.com/research/june-housing-payments

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #1179 on: June 22, 2020, 10:26:28 AM »
BULLISH!!!

In June, 30 percent of Americans missed their housing payments, down slightly from 31 percent in May but still up from 24 percent in April.

Some eviction and foreclosure protections are beginning to expire, creating concern that many Americans will soon lose their housing as a result of missed payments. 37 percent of renters (and 26 percent of homeowners) are at least somewhat concerned that in the next six months they will face an eviction or foreclosure.

https://www.apartmentlist.com/research/june-housing-payments
What is the % of people who feared foreclosure or eviction before the shutdown?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #1180 on: June 22, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »

LMFAO! 

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1181 on: June 22, 2020, 04:57:03 PM »
Wow. I hope you are joking.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #1182 on: June 23, 2020, 05:55:42 AM »
Jack Bogle would shit a brick right now and go short, haha.

By the way, as I've been saying for you buy and hold forever types....what has been will not always be....example - an article on how racist the 401k system is:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/one-way-to-reduce-the-racial-wealth-gap-is-with-more-401-ks-expert-192330366.html

Listen to what they say the answer is....offering equal results for unequal input. NOT based in reality and certainly NOT bullish for long term investing.

LOL

No, Jack Bogle would do no such thing.  I read the article and it says nothing about "offering equal results for unequal input" or about "how racist the 401k system is."  This is just an opinion piece by "the vice president of Race and Ethnicity Policy at the Center for American Progress"...LOL...suggesting that low-wage jobs should equally offer 401K benefits just like high-wage jobs do.

I seriously doubt that a law to accommodate this could ever get passed, but even if they did this is hardly a threat to "buy and hold" as you are suggesting.  Heck, Democrats have tried for years to pass laws forcing 401K providers to disclose all fees charged to participants, but they haven't been able to.  401K providers are very wealthy and powerful, and fiscally conservative.  One can't be paralyzed into inaction with fear of what might be.

SOMEPARTS, you sound just like an actively managed fund sales man.  You don't understand passive investing.  Passive investors don't advocate for "buy and hold forever."  They advocate for "time in the market over timing the market", they advocate for re-balancing your portfolio at least once per year,  and they advocate for "buy and hold until you need your money in retirement", not forever.  They are also well aware that "past performance does not guarantee future results" and they repeat that often.

There is risk in investing in the stock market.  More risk, more reward.  If you are risk averse, then you are right to stay away from the stock market and you shouldn't participate in your 401K plan, tough that would be leaving money on the table if your employer offers a match.   If you take less risk, good for you, but be content with your returns as mediocre as they might be. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #1183 on: June 23, 2020, 06:10:23 AM »
"Don't just do something...stand there." -- Jack Bogle

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #1184 on: June 23, 2020, 06:14:05 AM »
I'm happy my 401 is ONLY down 2% ytd. If it can be even or up a smidge by EOY I'll be in good shape

Why?  If you are investing long term why does it matter what it looks like by the end of the year?  Are you retiring by the end of the year, or do not understand how long term investing works?

as the next 8 years of Democrats in control will bring the stable yet significant gains we haven't seen since 2009-2016.

Are you joking, trolling, or are you just that clueless?  Investors hate Democrats' "difficult operating conditions for business" and prefer Republicans' "pro-growth agenda."

The Dow jumped about 95 points on Friday following the swearing in of Donald Trump as America's 45th president.
After an overnight selloff on election night, the stock market welcomed Trump with a bang as the Dow soared 257 points the day after the election. Eventually, the Dow would surge more than 1,400 points between the election and the end of the year.

All told, the U.S. market has gained $1.4 trillion in value since the election, according to S&P Dow Jones Indices.

Instead of worrying about the inherent uncertainty brought on by a Trump administration, investors have focused on the potential upside of his pro-growth agenda. Wall Street is betting Trump's plans to slash taxes, cut regulation and unleash infrastructure spending will accelerate the U.S. economy and create a windfall for corporate profits.

"There was a shifting sentiment among investors that an era of difficult operating conditions for business was about to be lifted
," said David Joy, chief market strategist at Ameriprise Financial.
https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/20/investing/stock-market-trump-inauguration-day/index.html

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #1185 on: June 23, 2020, 07:21:05 AM »
LOL

No, Jack Bogle would do no such thing.  I read the article and it says nothing about "offering equal results for unequal input" or about "how racist the 401k system is."  This is just an opinion piece by "the vice president of Race and Ethnicity Policy at the Center for American Progress"...LOL...suggesting that low-wage jobs should equally offer 401K benefits just like high-wage jobs do.

I seriously doubt that a law to accommodate this could ever get passed, but even if they did this is hardly a threat to "buy and hold" as you are suggesting.  Heck, Democrats have tried for years to pass laws forcing 401K providers to disclose all fees charged to participants, but they haven't been able to.  401K providers are very wealthy and powerful, and fiscally conservative.  One can't be paralyzed into inaction with fear of what might be.

SOMEPARTS, you sound just like an actively managed fund sales man.  You don't understand passive investing.  Passive investors don't advocate for "buy and hold forever."  They advocate for "time in the market over timing the market", they advocate for re-balancing your portfolio at least once per year,  and they advocate for "buy and hold until you need your money in retirement", not forever.  They are also well aware that "past performance does not guarantee future results" and they repeat that often.

There is risk in investing in the stock market.  More risk, more reward.  If you are risk averse, then you are right to stay away from the stock market and you shouldn't participate in your 401K plan, tough that would be leaving money on the table if your employer offers a match.   If you take less risk, good for you, but be content with your returns as mediocre as they might be.

Ah, I see...now I don't understand passive investing...  ::)

I don't have an employer, not a slave to anything but passing time and the necessary taxes. If you work for somebody else and can't control your spending or have no imagination the 401k is a great alternative to...having nothing else.

The danger to the buy and hold mantra that I have posted here many times....inevitable changes in taxes/laws governing the game by a bankrupt govt. People make the mistake of not understanding these markets are not setup to make the middle class wealthy.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #1186 on: June 23, 2020, 07:25:14 AM »

Ah, I see...now I don't understand passive investing...  ::)

I don't have an employer, not a slave to anything but passing time and the necessary taxes. If you work for somebody else and can't control your spending or have no imagination the 401k is a great alternative to...having nothing else.

The danger to the buy and hold mantra that I have posted here many times....inevitable changes in taxes/laws governing the game by a bankrupt govt. People make the mistake of not understanding these markets are not setup to make the middle class wealthy.

We disagree, and that's okay as far as I'm concerned.

BTW, I was referring to stock market passive investing.  I am well aware of other forms of passive investing, some of which I'm sure you understand well.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
Re: Dow Crash Coming To Your 401k (2018-2020)
« Reply #1187 on: June 27, 2020, 07:55:12 AM »

If $SPX brakes below 3000, anticipate a huge selloff

-NT

Dow PUKES -735 points

$SPX 3000 breaching?

Major PAIN ahead?

BTW: a Racist moderator continues to kick -NT off GB platform. Why? mainly because he’s jealous of a BLACK MAN DOMINATING Getbig politics

100,000+ Views & gets suspended? ( for what?)

Most followed on GB & gets suspended? ( for what?)

Is racism rampant on GetBig?

#RonIsWatching

#BlackTradersMatter

#BlackLivesMatter

#NYSE

-NT

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #1189 on: June 27, 2020, 12:18:10 PM »
BTW: a Racist moderator continues to kick -NT off GB platform. Why? mainly because he’s jealous of a BLACK MAN DOMINATING Getbig politics

Is racism rampant on GetBig?

Neuromons, you're a racist SOB.

Haha!! ;D ;D i see your afraid to post now.  ;D ;D Hahaha!!!

fucking moron spick!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #1190 on: June 28, 2020, 09:52:38 PM »
Just look at these numbers from yelp.  :o

"Of all business closures on Yelp since March 1, 41% are permanent closures. Our data shows the largest spikes of permanent closures occurred in March, followed by May and June, indicating that the businesses that were already struggling had to permanently close right away and the businesses that were trying to hold on, but unable to weather the COVID-19 storm, were forced to shutter in recent months."

"While many business sectors have struggled during COVID-19 there are a few industries that have endured especially high closure rates. Among those with the highest rate of business closures are shopping and retail (27,663 closed businesses), restaurants (23,981 closed businesses), beauty (15,348 closed businesses) and fitness (5,589 closed businesses)."

https://www.yelpeconomicaverage.com/yelp-coronavirus-economic-impact-report.html

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #1191 on: June 29, 2020, 05:07:17 AM »

"Of all business closures on Yelp since March 1, 41% are permanent closures. Our data shows the largest spikes of permanent closures occurred in March, followed by May and June, indicating that the businesses that were already struggling had to permanently close right away and the businesses that were trying to hold on, but unable to weather the COVID-19 storm, were forced to shutter in recent months."

"While many business sectors have struggled during COVID-19 there are a few industries that have endured especially high closure rates. Among those with the highest rate of business closures are shopping and retail (27,663 closed businesses), restaurants (23,981 closed businesses), beauty (15,348 closed businesses) and fitness (5,589 closed businesses)."

https://www.yelpeconomicaverage.com/yelp-coronavirus-economic-impact-report.html

Yup, the stock market is and always has been irrational.  That's why time in the market is much more profitable than timing the market.  Nobody knows what it will do or when.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #1192 on: June 29, 2020, 05:19:43 AM »
Quote from: Neurotoxin link=topic=644157.msg9426949#msg9426949 date=15932697

[b
BTW: a Racist moderator continues to kick -NT off GB platform. Why? mainly because he’s jealous of a BLACK MAN DOMINATING Getbig politics[/b]

-NT

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #1193 on: June 29, 2020, 04:07:33 PM »

That darned Beach Bum...

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #1194 on: June 29, 2020, 04:46:52 PM »

Irrational   :D

June 29, 2020 4:00 PM Eastern Time
https://www.cnbc.com/us-markets/

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #1195 on: June 30, 2020, 08:27:29 AM »
Is it funny things are so screwed up? We will see in time. I prefer not to be a nihilist when it comes to my money.

Chicago PMI big miss...not surprising.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #1196 on: June 30, 2020, 09:31:34 AM »
Is it funny things are so screwed up? We will see in time. I prefer not to be a nihilist when it comes to my money.

Chicago PMI big miss...not surprising.

When are things not screwed up one way or another?  I too prefer not to be a nihilist when it comes to my money.  Who does?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #1198 on: July 02, 2020, 09:23:22 AM »

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #1199 on: July 02, 2020, 10:04:08 AM »
One thing is for sure, if Trump wins and pulls the Dow to 40k he'll be building himself a hotel in the shape of his head on Mt. Rushmore.  :D

The dollar might be worth 50% in 2024 but the Dow will be 40k so that's all that matters.