Author Topic: 87 yr old hides 2 million dollars in a treasure chest in the Rockies  (Read 1694 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/17/millionaire-forrest-fenn-hid-treasure-in-the-rockies-and-left-a-clue.html

Who's with me? With the Getbig brain trust, we should be able to crack his 9 clue secret in his poem in no time!

Twaddle

• Getbig V
Re: 87 yr old hides 2 million dollars in a treasure chest in the Rockies
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 09:30:33 PM »
This old fucker made this public as a joke.  He's having the last laugh.   :D

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »
This old fucker made this public as a joke.  He's having the last laugh.   :D

Thats not an invalid opinion. He might have done that. But  from just a preliminary view of the info, he may have actually done it

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 09:37:06 PM »
4 people have died looking for it. He is aware of that. He added some  clues to reduce the risk. Its not under water, its not under rocks too big to move. He was about 80 when he hid it. For a guy making it up, with what he has said, I tend to believe he did it, I just don't have any insight into where it is other than that it is not too far from Sante Fe

Twaddle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 06:28:59 AM »
This old fart is a jokester and a hoaxster. 

In the early ’80s, along with the former Texas governor John Connally, he went in on a cache of a hundred paintings by the infamous high-art forger Elmyr de Hory. When he displayed the work at his gallery, customers responded with horror upon being informed that the paintings were fakes. Fenn happily volleyed the outrage back: “If you like it less because it’s a fake, who is the fraud now?” He sold the de Horys, like most everything else, at a huge profit.

After our post appeared, we were contacted by Linda Bilyeu, Randy's ex-wife and the person who assisted in the search for him.

Corresponding via e-mail, Linda was withering in her criticism of Fenn. She believes his treasure is a hoax. In her words, "Randy lost his life searching for 'nothing.'"

"The entire saga of the hidden chest is nothing but an enigma," she maintains. "I believe it's a hoax due to an abundant amount of common sense. After seven months of in-depth research, I have yet to discover one iota of concrete evidence that the chest does exist. Not just me, but many others. I'm referring to law enforcement, journalists, TV media, treasure hunters, ex-treasure hunters...etc. The attention motivates him. That's all he needs. It's oxygen to him."

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 08:10:39 AM »
Torture him till he shows where it is seems the fastest way to get it.....

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 08:38:18 AM »
Never hid it or someone already found it and never said a word....

either way... it aint there... and it was YEARS ago...with trained professionals that were looking for it

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
Never hid it or someone already found it and never said a word....

either way... it aint there... and it was YEARS ago...with trained professionals that were looking for it

trained professionals? 

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »
trained professionals? 
Yeah you know, trained treasure hunters. They go to school for it. There is a surprising amount of schooling needed to decipher treasure maps. Some are written in Latin, others written by eccentric old men with nothing better to with their time and last days on earth. And "X" doesn't always mark the spot.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 12:01:30 PM »
Yeah you know, trained treasure hunters. They go to school for it. There is a surprising amount of schooling needed to decipher treasure maps. Some are written in Latin, others written by eccentric old men with nothing better to with their time and last days on earth. And "X" doesn't always mark the spot.

I just came across this story a couple days ago and did some preliminary scanning of a few articles. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's fun to think about it. He is based in Sante Fe and he allegedly hid it when he was 79 or 80. He said he made 2 trips from his vehicle to hide it. When people died, he added some information in order to make it less dangerous i.e. it's not under water, it's not on a steep precipice, it's not under heavy boulders. The one thing that leads me to think he really did hide it is his statements about "Don't read too much into my poem, it means what it says". And that we need to remember he was 80 when he hid it so take that into consideration. If I faked hiding it, I would want to spin the tale that it is complicated to find, that's why no one has found it yet.

I would think you could eliminate Wyoming and Montana but that leaves an ungodly amount of area to search. He says you won't just happen upon it, you cant find it without the clues.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 12:18:59 PM »
I just came across this story a couple days ago and did some preliminary scanning of a few articles. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's fun to think about it. He is based in Sante Fe and he allegedly hid it when he was 79 or 80. He said he made 2 trips from his vehicle to hide it. When people died, he added some information in order to make it less dangerous i.e. it's not under water, it's not on a steep precipice, it's not under heavy boulders. The one thing that leads me to think he really did hide it is his statements about "Don't read too much into my poem, it means what it says". And that we need to remember he was 80 when he hid it so take that into consideration. If I faked hiding it, I would want to spin the tale that it is complicated to find, that's why no one has found it yet.

I would think you could eliminate Wyoming and Montana but that leaves an ungodly amount of area to search. He says you won't just happen upon it, you cant find it without the clues.

People are more likely to find Bigfoot than the treasure. He said that he did it to help people go outdoors. Then why not donate what th treasure is worth to some worthy cause that helps people explore th outdoors?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 03:02:38 PM »
Find it and keep your mouth shut so you don’t owe the irs

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »

exactly what already happened

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 04:23:05 PM »

It is suppose to contain gold, gems, rare coins. I would have no problem finding it and not reporting it. My concern would be getting the best value from it. Gems are notoriously difficult to sell for value. Rare coins again might be hard to secretly get rid of for the best price. There is a chance the finder could recoup and surpass an  IRS hit by marketing and publicity of the find.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 04:46:49 PM »
People are more likely to find Bigfoot than the treasure. He said that he did it to help people go outdoors. Then why not donate what th treasure is worth to some worthy cause that helps people explore th outdoors?

Cause he was a real dick, family included

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2018, 11:01:42 PM »

Cause he was a real dick, family included

Could be. When he says, no one knows, not even his wife... I wonder about the guy