Author Topic: Scott Wilson RIP  (Read 21339 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: Scott Wilson RIP
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »
ND...

There was a popular ad from Twinlabs that featured Wilson. It was for Gainers Fuel. He was doing incline presses with a barbell in the ad. Do you have that pic? Thanks

8)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2018, 06:13:37 PM »
Anyone remember towards the end of his career (I want to say late 80's or early 90's) he was promoting high intensity training and was even in one or a couple of Darden's books

I remember articles in Flex (or maybe MD) with him and Brian Homka training at Gold San Jose
I think he may have also trained at Worlds Gym in Campbell (now gone) which was only a few blocks down the street from my office.   I was a member of that gym for a few years.  That was a great gym

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »
He put up some serious numbers in power lifting.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2018, 09:01:37 PM »
L-R:  Wilson (PIP), Albert Beckles, Bob Birdsong, Tony Pearson, Ali Malla, Dave Johnns (RIP), Johnny Fuller (RIP), Tony Emmott, Steve Michalik (RIP)

Good eye , that's Johnny Fuller

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2018, 11:32:40 PM »

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2018, 11:33:58 PM »
Good physique!

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2018, 11:53:43 PM »

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2018, 01:25:53 AM »
I don't remember what show it was when I first saw him but it was Arnold commentating so it must
have been the Arnold. I was really impressed and inspired by his physique. It was those bowling ball
delts when he stood relaxed that really stood out for me. I never saw or read about him much. Seemed
pretty solid with no glaring weak spots. He didn't seem to catch on. Might have been to hetro for the sport.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2018, 01:29:07 AM »
Wasn’t he often wearing glasses at the gym? Had almost a nerdy intellectual look, but with a physique to blow your mind.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2018, 01:33:33 AM »
Wasn’t he often wearing glasses at the gym? Had almost a nerdy intellectual look, but oh that physique.

Yeah, I think Mentzer use to purposely rock that look. The incongruity of the spectacle wearing intellectual on a Herculean physique.

Not a bad look.

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »
Would he have been around 65 years of age?

Doesn't seem to be much sense hanging around much longer than that.  You've done all you're going to do. 

t

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2018, 07:00:39 AM »
Didn't he have a gym in San Diego?

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2018, 07:02:21 AM »
I just read on Raw-Iron that bodybuilder Scott Wilson passed away today.
Never heard of her.
T

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2018, 07:15:41 AM »
Didn't he have a gym in San Diego?

San Jose Gold’s? At least that is where I saw him train back in the day.

Big Pat

• Getbig II
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2018, 07:31:41 AM »
Mr. Wilson trained at Ralph Kroger's  gym in El Cajon and then left shortly after Glen Vogel (Jr. Mr. A?) bought it. Most of the guys from the former Kroger's went to Bill Golumick's Valley Barbell Club after it moved from Spring Valley to El Cajon. I met him when his step sons played Rec. Dept. league Basketball.

Be safe and strong,

Pat

fredrollon

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2018, 07:51:23 AM »
Seemed pretty solid with no glaring weak spots. He didn't seem to catch on. Might have been to hetro for the sport.
The incongruity of the spectacle wearing intellectual on a Herculean physique.  Not a bad look.

Wasn’t he often wearing glasses at the gym? Had almost a nerdy intellectual look, but with a physique to blow your mind.

Looked like a jacked David Letterman,in certain casual pics. Each to their own. ;D

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2018, 05:21:55 PM »
1994 Masters

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2018, 05:41:55 PM »
he kinda looks like a combo of dennis newman and bob paris... reduced by 50%

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
Mr. Wilson trained at Ralph Kroger's  gym in El Cajon and then left shortly after Glen Vogel (Jr. Mr. A?) bought it. Most of the guys from the former Kroger's went to Bill Golumick's Valley Barbell Club after it moved from Spring Valley to El Cajon. I met him when his step sons played Rec. Dept. league Basketball.

Be safe and strong,

Pat

I'm getting old(er), but I remember Kroger's being in Lakeside (where Scott Wilson was from).  VBC was great in either location!  Had a code to get in anytime, any day.   Here's a memory question:   Do you remember "Crow"?   ;D

Then VBC moved and became (I think) "Parkway Fitness".   Stern's was totally bitchin'.  Still is from what I hear.  Still above the Chinese laundry and still loaded with character.  One of the Brown's owns it now, not Alan but his brother whose name escapes me right now.  Leo was great.  From what I recall he lost both his sons, the older to drugs and the younger one to AIDS.   I've seen a few guys from Leos from back in the day.  We're all ancient now but the memories are still as fresh as ever. 

I don't recall meeting Wilson but Kroger I did meet and he seemed a good guy.  Vogel too.  I remember when he won the Teenage Mr. San Diego.  Damn fine build on the guy.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2018, 07:52:37 PM »
 :)

Big Pat

• Getbig II
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2018, 08:45:57 PM »
"I'm getting old(er), but I remember Kroger's being in Lakeside (where Scott Wilson was from).  VBC was great in either location!  Had a code to get in anytime, any day.   Here's a memory question:   Do you remember "Crow"?   Grin

Then VBC moved and became (I think) "Parkway Fitness".   Stern's was totally bitchin'.  Still is from what I hear.  Still above the Chinese laundry and still loaded with character.  One of the Brown's owns it now, not Alan but his brother whose name escapes me right now.  Leo was great.  From what I recall he lost both his sons, the older to drugs and the younger one to AIDS.   I've seen a few guys from Leos from back in the day.  We're all ancient now but the memories are still as fresh as ever.  

I don't recall meeting Wilson but Kroger I did meet and he seemed a good guy.  Vogel too.  I remember when he won the Teenage Mr. San Diego.  Damn fine build on the guy".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Kroger's gym was on Rea St. just a block off Main St. in El Cajon. Mr. Kroger bought the gym from Mylen Wiltse a Chargers coach who started the gym in the 60's. VBC was started in Lemon Grove, then moved to El Cajon and then later to La Mesa where it became Parkway Fitness. Never trained in at any of the locations but visited it from time to time to talk with Matt Mahaydic (sp)  who managed the gym and sold supplements. Quite a few "interesting' gym members to say the least, never knew anyone called "Crow".

I knew Mr. Stern very well, his son Michael ran the gym but died of cancer, that is when he decided to sell the gym. I did know his son David who ran the equipment company after Leo retired. Don't know if he is still alive or not. Shannon/ Sherman Brown is the one who owns it now.

Scott Wilson was tauted by many as Mr. Kroger protegee . His graduated from El Capitan HS in Lakeside and was a wrestler. Always drove a '56 White Ford convertible when I saw him. Never cared for Glenn Vogle. If I remember correctly Wayne Collins was the last owner of the gym before it closed down. Met a former gym member named Dewy who was a very good friend of Mr. Wilson and told me that Vogel challenged Scott to a BP contest. Not even close as Mr. Wilson (like Mr. Kroger) were  well rounded lifters that could hold their own in PL, OL and of course bodybuilding.  

Lots of fine memories to be sure.

Be safe and strong,

Pat

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2018, 09:03:49 PM »
"I'm getting old(er), but I remember Kroger's being in Lakeside (where Scott Wilson was from).  VBC was great in either location!  Had a code to get in anytime, any day.   Here's a memory question:   Do you remember "Crow"?   Grin

Then VBC moved and became (I think) "Parkway Fitness".   Stern's was totally bitchin'.  Still is from what I hear.  Still above the Chinese laundry and still loaded with character.  One of the Brown's owns it now, not Alan but his brother whose name escapes me right now.  Leo was great.  From what I recall he lost both his sons, the older to drugs and the younger one to AIDS.   I've seen a few guys from Leos from back in the day.  We're all ancient now but the memories are still as fresh as ever.  

I don't recall meeting Wilson but Kroger I did meet and he seemed a good guy.  Vogel too.  I remember when he won the Teenage Mr. San Diego.  Damn fine build on the guy".
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. Kroger's gym was on Rea St. just a block off Main St. in El Cajon. Mr. Kroger bought the gym from Mylen Wiltse a Chargers coach who started the gym in the 60's. VBC was started in Lemon Grove, then moved to El Cajon and then later to La Mesa where it became Parkway Fitness. Never trained in at any of the locations but visited it from time to time to talk with Matt Mahaydic (sp)  who managed the gym and sold supplements. Quite a few "interesting' gym members to say the least, never knew anyone called "Crow".

I knew Mr. Stern very well, his son Michael ran the gym but died of cancer, that is when he decided to sell the gym. I did know his son David who ran the equipment company after Leo retired. Don't know if he is still alive or not. Shannon/ Sherman Brown is the one who owns it now.

Scott Wilson was tauted by many as Mr. Kroger protegee . His graduated from El Capitan HS in Lakeside and was a wrestler. Always drove a '56 White Ford convertible when I saw him. Never cared for Glenn Vogle. If I remember correctly Wayne Collins was the last owner of the gym before it closed down. Met a former gym member named Dewy who was a very good friend of Mr. Wilson and told me that Vogel challenged Scott to a BP contest. Not even close as Mr. Wilson (like Mr. Kroger) were  well rounded lifters that could hold their own in PL, OL and of course bodybuilding.  

Lots of fine memories to be sure.

Be safe and strong,

Pat

"Crow" was Bill's brother.  Nicknamed that because for whatever odd reason, he would "caw" at people.  ;D

I've heard of Scott's strength and can believe Vogel not being able to match it. Sherman sounds right.   His brother Al reminded me of Robbie Robinson. Remember all the great photos at Stern's?

How about the caricatures of gym members that adorned the top of the wall (I think) back near the locker room?  And the squat bar that was curved from years of use with HEAVY weight?  Good times, brother.  Thanks for sparking those memories with your post!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »
RIP  :(

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2018, 07:24:18 AM »

Be safe and strong,

Pat

I trained for awhile at Bill Golumbicks gym, the old Quanset hut....He had one piece of equipment that was made from a transmission. Didn't get to know Bill very well, He didn't say much, just glared at people.

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2018, 09:35:39 AM »
He looked great. 68 is still quite a good age.

Not like todays guys that die in their 20:s 30:s 40:s.
MIRAGETROPIN