Author Topic: Revelation?  (Read 6228 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Revelation?
« on: May 10, 2018, 12:39:22 PM »
After going through a difficult time, I am sort of rethinking this whole religious thing. To a certain extent, I am envious of people that believe in a higher power, as this offers them solace and comfort during difficult times.

Ive been seriously contemplating the idea that there may be a God.

Thoughts?
X

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
Re: Revelation?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »
u will end up as your avatar

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 12:55:00 PM »
After going through a difficult time, I am sort of rethinking this whole religious thing. To a certain extent, I am envious of people that believe in a higher power, as this offers them solace and comfort during difficult times.

Thoughts?

I too have often envied people who are in rough times that cling to the belief god has a plan for them and if only they trust, things will be fine. Often times they aren't fine, but the hope probably helps and takes some of the responsibility for improving their life off of them.

But I always come back to this. Regardless of how I might feel, the only reason to believe something is because it is true or likely true. Not because it will make me feel good. And I just can't really believe there is a god at the moment. Maybe that will change someday, but until I have compelling evidence that convinces me, I'm stuck here.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 12:58:07 PM »
I like to believe in a higher power simply because it bums me out to think that in the end we just wind up as rotting bags of meat. That being said, years ago I read - www.goodreads.com/book/show/507772.The_God_Part_of_the_Brain ,  and also heard a few interviews with him, and his theories sort of clicked in a way that made total sense.

In the end, I just decided to let nature take it course, treat people the way that I'd want to be treated, and forget about the big question of religion.

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 01:04:15 PM »

Thoughts?

If that's really you in the pics that have circulated on here then he must be a very cruel God.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 01:14:18 PM »
takes a genuine imbecile to deny that everything we see was engineered.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 01:27:54 PM »
If that's really you in the pics that have circulated on here then he must be a very cruel God.

You are quite the little fucking troll aren’t you?

Meta-physical

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 01:31:17 PM »
Old friend,

I too have always recognised the role of personal faith in helping people overcome tragedy, and agree that those who have it are in some ways fortunate. I don't have it, but arriving at that conclusion wasn't particularly pleasant. I don't have any time for the views of MOS or Tbombz, but I no longer really pay much attention to religious debates in general (unless I feel like trolling). There's a need to challenge it in many cases, but if the goal is to improve our overall quality of life then there's more pressing issues to devote our time to. I have enjoyed reading many contemporary atheist works, but it's really nothing that I haven't already read in Voltaire, Bakunin, Paine, Russell, and many others who were expressing their thoughts at a time when they faced real costs in doing so.

I really would enjoy bullying Jesus, though. You can just tell that he was one of those effeminate types who always threatened to get his dad on you at school, and would always back down from a fight by claiming that 'it's just not worth it', when really it's because he knew he'd get emasculated in front of everyone.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 01:37:23 PM »
You can just tell that he was one of those effeminate types who always threatened to get his dad on you at school, and would always back down from a fight by claiming that 'it's just not worth it', when really it's because he knew he'd get emasculated in front of everyone.

I see that u changed a word. was 'that' incorrect? or, could 'that' have been used in place of 'who', and still b correct?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »

I really would enjoy bullying Jesus, though. You can just tell that he was one of those effeminate types who always threatened to get his dad on you at school, and would always back down from a fight by claiming that 'it's just not worth it', when really it's because he knew he'd get emasculated in front of everyone.

He'd probably suck in the gym too. You got to think being nailed up would kill his grip strength, he'd probably have to use straps on everything.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 01:43:59 PM »
, I am envious of people that believe in a higher power, as this offers them solace and comfort during difficult times.

Thoughts?

Besides trolling because religious threads always go 20+ pages , it doesn't offer them solace & comfort , when people die religious people are grief stricken,brought to tears , etc , etc , why? If they truly believed they are in a MUCH , MUCH better place and they will be reunited with them in a short while why would they be devastated? Going to heaven is like hitting Powerball , Utopia and I will be joining you shortly but why so sad? because the reality is people know death in final and delude themselves into this nonsense. It sounds good on paper.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 01:51:42 PM »
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »

Yes, it is me.
X

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 02:00:16 PM »
Yes, it is me.

Then perhaps a religion, or spirituality, where reincarnation, and the hope of a better life the next time around is a fundamental tenant, may suit you better.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 02:02:55 PM »

Thoughts?

Definition of a prayer ➡ "humble wish".

Religion & "god" is folklore and superstition.

Meta-physical

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 02:05:31 PM »
I see that u changed a word. was 'that' incorrect? or, could 'that' have been used in place of 'who', and still b correct?
Pretty observant! Both are correct, but I preferred 'who' when I read it again.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2018, 02:13:32 PM »
I preferred 'who' when I read it again.

if u look at the structural aesthetics of these two words:

That
who

'that' definitely kicks the shit out of 'who', at least visually... they could b different genders, in fact... who is a whore

which makes your choice smart, given the context

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2018, 02:23:07 PM »

Thoughts?

There are many beliefs, obviously. I believe in the Divine, in Source, in the astral realms, in angels, demons, heaven and hell, Valhalla, God, etc.- because I've seen those things at least once. i don't believe in everything and every religion, but its hard to argue with Buddhism or Taoism and the like because they are more philosophical than supernatural. The Multiverse is a huge place. None of this makes being human easy, but it does give perspective and meaning to life.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »

I actually think “that” is more correct than “who” here. In terms of person, place or thing, type is more thing than person. But a grammar/semantics expert is needed to break this tie.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2018, 02:27:26 PM »
 Ask 'flat earthman' , he knows  :D

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 02:38:59 PM »
I actually think “that” is more correct than “who” here.

if he had described jesus in a masculine fashion... 'that' would have been fitting... 'who' is more in line with the effeminate, better serving his purpose

Meta-physical

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »
I actually think “that” is more correct than “who” here. In terms of person, place or thing, type is more thing than person. But a grammar/semantics expert is needed to break this tie.
I'm not an expert, but the rules of grammar can be fairly flexible. You're right that 'who' generally is used to refer to people and 'that' refers to 'things'. As Jesus is the subject here, we would be better off saying 'who', as we are referring to a type of person. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. We should be focusing on SF's revelation.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 03:08:04 PM »
'that' can b used in place of 'who' in any context

'who' cannot b used in place of 'that' in any context

further proving 'thats' superiority

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2018, 03:21:50 PM »
Jesus is meek and humble but He's not the least bit effeminate (in the sense of being "twee" or what have you) or scared of anyone or anything.  He's actually really cool and you guys should try and get to know Him.  He is your best and truest friend, whether you realize it or not.  I love Him and know He's real.

But, carry on with your discussion.  Good-day.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2018, 03:26:01 PM »
Jesus is meek and humble but He's not the least bit effeminate (in the sense of being "twee" or what have you) or scared of anyone or anything.  He's actually really cool and you guys should try and get to know Him.  He is your best and truest friend, whether you realize it or not.  I love Him and know He's real.

by biblical accounts jesus was pretty much a bad ass... the ultimate man - he even cracked heads a time or two