Author Topic: NFL Bans Kneeling  (Read 1169 times)

James

NFL Bans Kneeling
« on: May 23, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »
New policy requires on-field players, personnel to stand for anthem

TLANTA -- NFL owners have unanimously approved a new national anthem policy that requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they prefer, it was announced Wednesday.

The policy subjects teams to a fine if a player or any other team personnel do not show respect for the anthem. That includes any attempt to sit or kneel, as dozens of players have done during the past two seasons. Those teams will also have the option to fine any team personnel, including players, for the infraction.

"We want people to be respectful of the national anthem," commissioner Roger Goodell said. "We want people to stand -- that's all personnel -- and make sure they treat this moment in a respectful fashion. That's something we think we owe. [But] we were also very sensitive to give players choices."

All 32 owners approved the policy, which will be part of the NFL's game operations manual and thus not subject to collective bargaining. The NFL Players Association said in a statement that it will review the policy and "challenge any aspect" that is inconsistent with the CBA.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23582533/nfl-owners-approve-new-national-anthem-policy

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: NFL Bans Kneeling
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:59:39 AM »
New policy requires on-field players, personnel to stand for anthem

TLANTA -- NFL owners have unanimously approved a new national anthem policy that requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they prefer, it was announced Wednesday.

The policy subjects teams to a fine if a player or any other team personnel do not show respect for the anthem. That includes any attempt to sit or kneel, as dozens of players have done during the past two seasons. Those teams will also have the option to fine any team personnel, including players, for the infraction.

"We want people to be respectful of the national anthem," commissioner Roger Goodell said. "We want people to stand -- that's all personnel -- and make sure they treat this moment in a respectful fashion. That's something we think we owe. [But] we were also very sensitive to give players choices."

All 32 owners approved the policy, which will be part of the NFL's game operations manual and thus not subject to collective bargaining. The NFL Players Association said in a statement that it will review the policy and "challenge any aspect" that is inconsistent with the CBA.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23582533/nfl-owners-approve-new-national-anthem-policy

I am shocked they actually did something.  Money talks. 

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 11:04:15 AM »
Will they recover or will people still remember/be annoyed with those skipping it entirely?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 11:12:11 AM »
Will they recover or will people still remember/be annoyed with those skipping it entirely?

I think some will come back. 

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:12:02 PM »
 :D
a

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 03:43:12 PM »
The Gay Muslim of Piss would of done nothing about this, well other than cower in the corner whilst his tranny was gang banged by homeless men.
K

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 05:33:38 PM »
Horrible, they should have kept them all in the locker room.

They idea should have been to do away with the issue all together but this just prolongs the stupidity.

This will still get broad media coverage and football will still be political. I don’t really care anymore if they stand or kneel, I’d prefer they stand but mainly I’m just tired of hearing about it.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 09:18:59 PM »
Horrible, they should have kept them all in the locker room.

They idea should have been to do away with the issue all together but this just prolongs the stupidity.

This will still get broad media coverage and football will still be political. I don’t really care anymore if they stand or kneel, I’d prefer they stand but mainly I’m just tired of hearing about it.

As employers, I support the NFL saying you have two choices. 1. Stay in the locker room if you aren't comfortable with standing for the SSB. Or 2. If you are on the field you stand and show respect. I  personally have no problem with people protesting any issues they have, but an employer has last say when you are on the clock.  

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 12:20:25 PM »
Sums it up well and I agree.

A few uninformed people will say that the military has to stand during the anthem, so everyone else should.
As a former marine I can tell you that all millitary personel are subject to the UCMJ ( uniform code of millitary justice).
In plain terms, the millitary is under a SEPARATE legal code. 100% serious.

I always stand when the antem is played but I support the rights of private citizens who don't.
However, as you pointed out, NFL players are not private citizens during the game.
They are required to wear a certain uniform  and play by specific enforced rules.

Plus, the NFL quickly realize that having players kneeling during the anthem was a horrible PR move.
A lot of die hard fans got disguted by that and didn't want to support the league.
Ratings dropped and $$ earnings quickly declined.

pretty much

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 12:45:08 PM »
Anyone catch what Steve Kerr said? Calling out the NFL/praising the NBA while the NBA requires their players to stand, lol. More he talks, the more he shows how dumb he is.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 03:40:21 PM »
Anyone catch what Steve Kerr said? Calling out the NFL/praising the NBA while the NBA requires their players to stand, lol. More he talks, the more he shows how dumb he is.

Yeah.  Pretty dumb comment.

H. PLAYER/TEAM CONDUCT AND DRESS

(1) Each player when introduced, prior to the game, must be uniformly dressed.

(2) Players, coaches and trainers are to stand and line up in a dignified posture along the sidelines or on the foul line during the playing of the National Anthem.

. . .

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nfls-new-national-anthem-policy-similar-to-nba/13qp2bgkibtfw11jyjrjldz6d8

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 04:53:54 PM »
As employers, I support the NFL saying you have two choices. 1. Stay in the locker room if you aren't comfortable with standing for the SSB. Or 2. If you are on the field you stand and show respect. I  personally have no problem with people protesting any issues they have, but an employer has last say when you are on the clock. 
I completely agree with you on this

My point is that this is just going to make the anthem playing more political. Their goal should have been to get away from the controversy and focus on football.

This doesn’t achieve that goal and in fact it just creates more of a shit show.