Author Topic: RIP Terry Todd - Iron Sport legend and chronicler has died  (Read 6697 times)

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
Re: iron sport legend and chronicler has died.
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »
                               ::) ::) ::) never gets old.  ::) ::) ::)

Did I hurt your feelings?
K

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 02:23:59 AM »
Did I hurt your feelings?

Funk has thick skin, trust me... The constant stupidity of "#saved" is pretty lame, thats all...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 06:08:24 AM »
Funk has thick skin, trust me... The constant stupidity of "#saved" is pretty lame, thats all...
;) ;) ;) ;)
F

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 07:27:22 AM »

have I hurt your feelings, "Powerlift66" ?
K

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 08:34:05 AM »
RIP and condolances to all concerned.

If I recall correctly ...Jan Todd is the sister of the actress, Lynda Carter, who played the part of Wonder Woman in that old TV series (1975 - 1979).

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 08:49:41 AM »
RIP and condolances to all concerned.

If I recall correctly ...Jan Todd is the sister of the actress, Lynda Carter, who played the part of Wonder Woman in that old TV series (1975 - 1979).

I never knew that about Jan and Lynda--I've been googling to find any supporting info but to no avail.  Where did you hear that?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »
I never knew that about Jan and Lynda--I've been googling to find any supporting info but to no avail.  Where did you hear that?

Think it's a mix up.

Jon Cole (multi strength sport champion) was married to Pam Carter for a while. Originally he was getting hooked up Lynda, she introduced him to Pam, and they dug each other. This was circa mid 60's.

Jon Cole -

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 10:28:26 AM »
Think it's a mix up.

Jon Cole (multi strength sport champion) was married to Pam Carter for a while. Originally he was getting hooked up Lynda, she introduced him to Pam, and they dug each other. This was circa mid 60's.

Jon Cole -

Thanks for clarifying--that makes sense.  Of course Jon Cole is a legend in powerlifting and track & field. 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »
have I hurt your feelings, "Powerlift66" ?
             no feelings hurt, just saying it's time to come up with a new catch phrase when replying flippantly to a serious thread which is your right. you unoriginal repeating piece of shit. :D
F

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 11:08:58 AM »
             no feelings hurt, just saying it's time to come up with a new catch phrase when replying flippantly to a serious thread which is your right. you unoriginal repeating piece of shit. :D

meltdown
K

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »
meltdown
      again doesn't these predicable responses ever get old with some of you....... can't you come up with something original...
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2018, 12:00:39 PM »
Hey Funk, we’ll be sure to make a thread about you when you die because you like your iron hero are so worthy.
    :D :D :D :D  thanks, i'm already getting a playlist together to be played at the viewing...... so far i got  kansas's dust in the wind, firefall's so long ,bob seger's turn the page,the highway men's highwayman.   grim reaper's see you in hell.  i'll keep you apprised as the list evolves..
F

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 07:08:18 AM »
I met Terry Todd in York, Pa, in September 1965. He read a few articles I had composed for Strength and Health magazine. He returned them the next day saying they might suit Weider magazines. Back then I didn't think much of Joe and his exaggerating editorials so that was the end of any aspirations I had to write full time for those magazines. Looking back what was I thinking?

I met John Grimek and had an interview with him since he edited MD. He wasn't interested in my articles, either. He also refused to let me take a photo of him.

I trained in the York gym for about a week. I saw Bill March do a strict press with 374 pounds. Damn, that was impressive. Bill hung around the gym so would talk to us. He bet me Grimek's calves were over 17 1/2 but I didn't accept the challenge. Would have been worth it to see what John's calves measured.

While I was in York, Larry Scott won the first Mr Olympia in New York. I missed an historic occasion because Larry was almost a demigod that night. "Larry, Larry, Larry...!" they chanted long after the contest was over. Grimek told us that Larry's name was already engraved on the trophy that was presented! We didn't know what to believe.

York Barbell was an interesting place. Had a museum with old time barbells/dumbells and a body cast of Sandow. Also had 2 old ladies who prepared high protein shakes for .25 cents....Yes, 25 cents. I used to drop in there in the early 70's...Used to see Grimek at the shows. Anyone who say's Grimek was drug-free is a fool...Hoffman had a rep as a narcissistic asshole.

I told Bob Hoffman he looked fat. That was a big mistake. He stopped and gathered all the guys around him who were training in the York gym. Next he took his sports Jacket, tie and shirt off. He still had a white singlet on. He inhaled deeply then slowly exhaled a lot of air. Must have lasted at least 20s seconds. We were all amazed. Then he got one of the guys to feel his abs when he did a vacuum. The next day John Terpak, who was a manager there, came up to me and told me not to criticize Bob again or I wouldn't be allowed to train in their gym. I saw Jules Bacon in the local supermarket and he had heard about the episode and told me not to think anything of it. Jules was a Mr America in 1943 I think.

Bob delighted in relating old stories from the good old days. He included how much of a stud he was with the ladies. He figured he might have lifted more in weight lifting had he not been so active the night before! Quite amusing if you were there.

Terry was one of the few people associated with the iron game who earned a PhD degree. I think it was in literature.

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2018, 07:10:03 AM »
York Barbell was an interesting place. Had a museum with old time barbells/dumbells and a body cast of Sandow. Also had 2 old ladies who prepared high protein shakes for .25 cents....Yes, 25 cents. I used to drop in there in the early 70's...Used to see Grimek at the shows. Anyone who say's Grimek was drug-free is a fool...Hoffman had a rep as a narcissistic asshole.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2018, 09:44:41 AM »
    a lot about this in this book...
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 09:48:35 AM »
i've been there 7-8 times throughout the years 65  to present.couple of locations.
F

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2018, 06:14:42 PM »
      again doesn't these predicable responses ever get old with some of you....... can't you come up with something original...

Why so butt hurt bro beans? 
K

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2018, 07:09:08 PM »
York is a small city in Pennsylvania. Hoffman called it Muscletown. That was a laugh. If you walked around York you wouldn't see many muscular people. Lots of fat people there.

I have another story about my visit to York. I met this huge bodybuilder from New York. Many at the Mr USA contest held there thought it was Sergio. I got to take some photos of David Shepherd, a black bodybuilder, outside the auditorium. Some of the York officials frowned at what I was doing so I ended up giving David the roll of film. I didn't see any of those photos.

Bob Gajda won that Mr USA contest. They also had a powerlifting contest before the physique contest.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: RIP Terry Todd - Iron Sport legend and chronicler has died
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2018, 11:12:19 PM »
From the 2018 Arnold Expo on Saturday

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2018, 12:58:15 AM »
York is a small city in Pennsylvania. Hoffman called it Muscletown. That was a laugh. If you walked around York you wouldn't see many muscular people. Lots of fat people there.

I have another story about my visit to York. I met this huge bodybuilder from New York. Many at the Mr USA contest held there thought it was Sergio. I got to take some photos of David Shepherd, a black bodybuilder, outside the auditorium. Some of the York officials frowned at what I was doing so I ended up giving David the roll of film. I didn't see any of those photos.

Bob Gajda won that Mr USA contest. They also had a powerlifting contest before the physique contest.

Vince, are you sure you have the name correct? Dave Shepherd was a white weightlifter...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2018, 02:30:33 AM »
Vince, are you sure you have the name correct? Dave Shepherd was a white weightlifter...

I followed weightlifting because I read Strength & Health. Also read Ironman. The black bodybuilder won a few contests around the East Coast
in the sixties. David Sheppard was his name.

There is a mention of David in Ricky Wayne's "Muscle Wars".

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2018, 05:05:54 AM »
Cool, thanks for that update Vince...

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2018, 08:15:53 AM »
The Dave Sheppard Vince mentioned did shows in the late 60's - 70's mainly on the east coast. I remember a few photos of him, he had a tall bodybuilder look.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2018, 08:46:23 AM »
:'(

I'm pretty sure I had that powerlifting book

Cool pics of him with Anderson

RIP

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2018, 09:02:11 AM »
I met Terry Todd in York, Pa, in September 1965. He read a few articles I had composed for Strength and Health magazine. He returned them the next day saying they might suit Weider magazines. Back then I didn't think much of Joe and his exaggerating editorials so that was the end of any aspirations I had to write full time for those magazines. Looking back what was I thinking?

I met John Grimek and had an interview with him since he edited MD. He wasn't interested in my articles, either. He also refused to let me take a photo of him.

I trained in the York gym for about a week. I saw Bill March do a strict press with 374 pounds. Damn, that was impressive. Bill hung around the gym so would talk to us. He bet me Grimek's calves were over 17 1/2 but I didn't accept the challenge. Would have been worth it to see what John's calves measured.

While I was in York, Larry Scott won the first Mr Olympia in New York. I missed an historic occasion because Larry was almost a demigod that night. "Larry, Larry, Larry...!" they chanted long after the contest was over. Grimek told us that Larry's name was already engraved on the trophy that was presented! We didn't know what to believe.

I told Bob Hoffman he looked fat. That was a big mistake. He stopped and gathered all the guys around him who were training in the York gym. Next he took his sports Jacket, tie and shirt off. He still had a white singlet on. He inhaled deeply then slowly exhaled a lot of air. Must have lasted at least 20s seconds. We were all amazed. Then he got one of the guys to feel his abs when he did a vacuum. The next day John Terpak, who was a manager there, came up to me and told me not to criticize Bob again or I wouldn't be allowed to train in their gym. I saw Jules Bacon in the local supermarket and he had heard about the episode and told me not to think anything of it. Jules was a Mr America in 1943 I think.

Bob delighted in relating old stories from the good old days. He included how much of a stud he was with the ladies. He figured he might have lifted more in weight lifting had he not been so active the night before! Quite amusing if you were there.

Terry was one of the few people associated with the iron game who earned a PhD degree. I think it was in literature.

You told Bob Hoffman, who was in in his 60's at the time that he was looking fat??    You don't ever seem to amaze me
A