Author Topic: RIP Terry Todd - Iron Sport legend and chronicler has died  (Read 6696 times)

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
Re: RIP Terry Todd - Iron Sport legend and chronicler has died
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »
Hoffman was a whack-job, but did a lot for Olympic lifting in the states. Basically funded it himself...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: iron sport legend and chronicler has died.
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2018, 11:04:15 AM »

You told Bob Hoffman, who was in in his 60's at the time that he was looking fat??    You don't ever seem to amaze me

Goodrum, you weren't around in those days, nor did you read all the bodybuilding magazines from those days. Both Hoffman and Weider had 'editorials' proclaiming how great they were. You were either a Weider or York man then. Weider was the bad guy. I chose York and wouldn't submit articles to Weider. When I met Bob I was surprised because I expected better from all his editorials. In truth he was long past his competitive days and surrounded himself with people who praised him.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2018, 11:44:37 AM »
Bob Hoffman loved the cooch -

He also wrote a book called "Sex Technique", which sadly hasn't been reprinted.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2018, 12:43:01 PM »
hoffman used to bill himself as the healthiest man on earth..
F

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2018, 06:48:50 PM »
I met Terry Todd in York, Pa, in September 1965. He read a few articles I had composed for Strength and Health magazine. He returned them the next day saying they might suit Weider magazines. Back then I didn't think much of Joe and his exaggerating editorials so that was the end of any aspirations I had to write full time for those magazines. Looking back what was I thinking?

I met John Grimek and had an interview with him since he edited MD. He wasn't interested in my articles, either. He also refused to let me take a photo of him.

I trained in the York gym for about a week. I saw Bill March do a strict press with 374 pounds. Damn, that was impressive. Bill hung around the gym so would talk to us. He bet me Grimek's calves were over 17 1/2 but I didn't accept the challenge. Would have been worth it to see what John's calves measured.

While I was in York, Larry Scott won the first Mr Olympia in New York. I missed an historic occasion because Larry was almost a demigod that night. "Larry, Larry, Larry...!" they chanted long after the contest was over. Grimek told us that Larry's name was already engraved on the trophy that was presented! We didn't know what to believe.

I told Bob Hoffman he looked fat. That was a big mistake. He stopped and gathered all the guys around him who were training in the York gym. Next he took his sports Jacket, tie and shirt off. He still had a white singlet on. He inhaled deeply then slowly exhaled a lot of air. Must have lasted at least 20s seconds. We were all amazed. Then he got one of the guys to feel his abs when he did a vacuum. The next day John Terpak, who was a manager there, came up to me and told me not to criticize Bob again or I wouldn't be allowed to train in their gym. I saw Jules Bacon in the local supermarket and he had heard about the episode and told me not to think anything of it. Jules was a Mr America in 1943 I think.

Bob delighted in relating old stories from the good old days. He included how much of a stud he was with the ladies. He figured he might have lifted more in weight lifting had he not been so active the night before! Quite amusing if you were there.

Terry was one of the few people associated with the iron game who earned a PhD degree. I think it was in literature.

For some reason I am willing to bet it would not be far from the truth to insert the word cock for anything you challenged to measure, you seem obsessed with making people measure things

I think most people turned you down because they thought you were a creepy pessimist who wanted to covet thier bodyparts and take photos for future masturbation sessions

"

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2018, 08:35:03 PM »
have I hurt your feelings, "Powerlift66" ?

no one's feelings are hurt

you're just a douche

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2018, 09:16:15 PM »
For Nelson. When I started lifting weights I soon wanted bigger calves. So anyone who had big calves impressed me. Sometimes I would measure calves.

We had a guy at UBC who had his belt marked off in inches. He always had a tape to measure arms with. Good ole Barry O'Connell. Wonder what happened to him?

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2018, 10:29:57 AM »
have I hurt your feelings, "Powerlift66" ?

Nope, not at all, we're cool.  ;)