Author Topic: Police Shooting Thru The Windshield - All HELL breaking loose in Vegas !!  (Read 6651 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: All HELL breaking loose in Vegas !!
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 06:55:01 AM »
Got the usual getbig experts in here.  Ballistics and forensic experts, tactical situation experts....good thing you guys are all here to break this down for us!!

At least benchmstr is a veteran who fought in the front line in Afghanistan and Iraq, if I remember correctly.  He also mysteriously disappeared from Getbig for a while around the time Bin Laden was killed.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 06:58:51 AM »
That was pretty wild, he ( the cop) is going to have hearing damage after that, an enclosed space of a car magnifys the sound,  people that want to second guess what the cop did have no idea how fast this shit goes down. Chasing a car, dodging other motorists, keeping radio informed on where you are, ducking incoming bullets, checking background before you get a shot off( don't wanna accidently shoot the kid in the baby carriage), knowing your going to be sued no matter what the outcome, and having split seconds to make the (perceived) right decision.

Exactly.

The overload of all that’s required in the line of duty and the stress and fear is overwhelming.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 07:14:53 AM »
Were Groink or ES Fitness involved?

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »
At least benchmstr is a veteran who fought in the front line in Afghanistan and Iraq, if I remember correctly.  He also mysteriously disappeared from Getbig for a while around the time Bin Laden was killed.

holy shit I didn't know that, so your saying that bench master is like the Rambo of this forum?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »
holy shit I didn't know that, so your saying that bench master is like the Rambo of this forum?

Benchmstr = Rambo

X

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Royalty is a schmoe-cel.
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 06:27:07 PM »
shooting through the windshield is extremely reckless.  Bullets take odd trajectories going through glass and those shots would have lost too much velocity to do much damage even if they hit the target.

No they don't. windshields are designed to deflect objects entering the vehicle while break away easily for projectiles exiting the vehicle. this is to avoid secondary injury in accidents. But you're another dumbass who knows everything and always wiegh in on the negative side of police matters. This was quite incredible response by the officer. I'd assume he must be a combat veteran. In any case he knows more about what actions to take than you ever will.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 06:55:24 PM »
Stressed and amped beyond what most can even understand.

This officer did his duty with honour and he performed well.

Anyone who’d criticize hasn’t the foggiest notion of how the human body responds in such extreme situations.

Job well done, officer.

I mostly agree, but the mag change betrayed a lack of firearms training.  For LEOs, the mag change should be second nature.  The Fort Hood shooter used to sit in his barcalounger watching TV while practicing tactical/speed reloads.  No one could stop him while he was shooting indoor because he reloaded too quickly.

Still, high praise to the officer.  8)

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 06:59:43 PM »
He should be fired. Departments in general have abandoned shooting at suspects from their vehicle, or attempting to disable their vehicle by blowing out tires with firearms (there's speed sticks for that now), since the late 1980s at the latest. If he felt in danger he should've done what most cops do when they're chasing a dangerous suspect, and allow air support to trail them while closing off streets ahead of the perpetrator rather than trying to play Rambo and do it themselves. Then again you only need a high school diploma, a vagina or dark skin to be a pig, and it shows.

That's why I posted the summary video. He followed all departmental procedures.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 07:33:53 PM »
Awesome. He did good. Damn that must have been intense.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 07:39:06 PM »
No they don't. windshields are designed to deflect objects entering the vehicle while break away easily for projectiles exiting the vehicle. this is to avoid secondary injury in accidents. But you're another dumbass who knows everything and always wiegh in on the negative side of police matters. This was quite incredible response by the officer. I'd assume he must be a combat veteran. In any case he knows more about what actions to take than you ever will.

HaHa...ok tough guy.  So the cop's plan was to shoot through the strongest glass in an automobile hoping the bullet would exit cleanly and maintain the exact trajectory he meant while firing rapidly and off center of his sights.  He expected those rounds to enter the assailants vehicle somewhere (glass? door? trunk?) continue through all the internal debris, metal, seats as both cars are moving and swerving at high speed and hit the bad guy in a "critical" area to stop him.  HaHa...sure.  Maybe the bullets also turned 180 degrees at some point and entered Kennedy's head from behind.... ::)  He also failed to control how much ammo he used and got lucky jumping out of the car to engage with an empty magazine.

I appreciate the cops enthusiasm and he did stop the threat but he was also reckless and careless and that needs to be called out.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 07:49:36 PM »
HaHa...ok tough guy.  So the cop's plan was to shoot through the strongest glass in an automobile hoping the bullet would exit cleanly and maintain the exact trajectory he meant while firing rapidly and off center of his sights.  He expected those rounds to enter the assailants vehicle somewhere (glass? door? trunk?) continue through all the internal debris, metal, seats as both cars are moving and swerving at high speed and hit the bad guy in a "critical" area to stop him.  HaHa...sure.  Maybe the bullets also turned 180 degrees at some point and entered Kennedy's head from behind.... ::)  He also failed to control how much ammo he used and got lucky jumping out of the car to engage with an empty magazine.

I appreciate the cops enthusiasm and he did stop the threat but he was also reckless and careless and that needs to be called out.

Actually the other cop who pulled up killed one of them with his shotgun.  He was definitely pissed at being shot at (hence the enthusiasm).

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 08:03:00 PM »
shooting through the windshield is extremely reckless.  Bullets take odd trajectories going through glass and those shots would have lost too much velocity to do much damage even if they hit the target.

Studies and testing show shooting through a windshield will affect the trajectory but not as much as one might think. Here is a decent article with examples. I would say that shooting from a moving vehicle at a moving vehicle is more reckless than shooting through a windshield. He was even thinking of firing with his off hand.. those rounds have to go somewhere and I would hate for it to be someone walking down the sidewalk.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 08:06:41 PM »
Never gonna get all that glass out of the ac vents!

Seriously though, close the borders and these two thugs wouldn’t have done this..

And the officer needs more training(as do most LEO’s worldwide)...what’s the deal with that garbage reload he did??!?

Bench

It is true that most agencies require qualifications once a year and sadly many officers only do that. Others will fire at least once a month and still others are range hounds and will shoot as long as they supply the ammo. The old adage, you will do under pressure what you train to do is accurate for the most part, but as you know, unless there is some stress added to the training and some realism, just standing at a range shooting targets might help, but when the shit hits the fan, you are going to look stupid reloading during a firefight. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 08:08:23 PM »
It's my understanding that bullets take fairly predictable trajectories when you shoot through windows.

They do for the most part. I've participated in training where we shot through doors, side windows and windshields and I was surprised at how little it affects the shots. But add driving 30 or 40 mph shooting at a moving vehicle.. it's hard to hit the right person.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2018, 08:28:50 PM »
He should be fired. Departments in general have abandoned shooting at suspects from their vehicle, or attempting to disable their vehicle by blowing out tires with firearms (there's speed sticks for that now), since the late 1980s at the latest. If he felt in danger he should've done what most cops do when they're chasing a dangerous suspect, and allow air support to trail them while closing off streets ahead of the perpetrator rather than trying to play Rambo and do it themselves. Then again you only need a high school diploma, a vagina or dark skin to be a pig, and it shows.

Okay.. lets discuss that. In policing there are what we call General Orders and then there is state law. General Orders are always more stringent than state law for a few reasons. There is nothing in state law that prohibits a cop from shooting from a vehicle. The reason there isn't is because there are a gazillion possible scenarios an officer may have to deal with on any given day. So laws are vague or lenient because that's understood. For almost every "A cop should never" statement you give, I can probably with few exceptions give you a "but what about if" that would make the action seem reasonable.

In general orders or department policy there are prohibitions typically that will state something like "Police officers will not discharge their weapons at a moving vehicle" but will add "Unless.".. and set out some criteria. Because as soon as a department forbids a cop from using deadly force in a given situation, that situation will occur and someone will get hurt or die because the cop was unable to respond with deadly force. So they leave the door open. Ultimately the cop is responsible for each round fired and what happens with it

You bring up some good thoughts though.. In a typical pursuit, it is best not to chase and many departments have rules saying for misdemeanors only you can't even pursue and will get in trouble if you do. But for active shooters, or suspects of violent crimes, you usually get to pursue. I personally don't like chasing someone who is shooting at me, I would much rather back off. In fact, I really don't want to deal with anyone shooting at me and would much rather go the other way. Most times that's not an option and in this case, does the department have an air unit? Were they on duty? What was their ETA?Where they enroute and the officers just keeping up until they arrived? Do you know any of those answers?

So a helicopter may or may not have been available but it seems like they weren't there at that time so backing off doesn't appear to be an option.

Stop sticks. Great for drunk drivers, not so great for active shooters. Someone has to thrown them and then pull them back in before the cops drive over them.. which means the bad guys with the guns drive right by the officer. Plus, it sounds easy but getting a unit that has stop sticks, {not all cops are trained with them nor outfitted with them) to the right position in a city is almost impossible. The number of units you talk about for funneling would be ridiculous in such an environment and units are limited to the officers on duty in that part of the city not on calls at any given time. Its very difficult I can tell you from experience to get a unit in place during daytime traffic in a urban environment.  

This isn't a TV show or movie where resources or unlimited and cops are abundant. It's about a high speed vehicle shooting at people and cops trying their best to stop them before someone dies. All of your suggestions are potentially great for DWI, or Highway pursuits or if a helicopter is even available but in reality, it's not the cops that seem uneducated at this point about it.  

In almost every use of force situation from taser discharge to strike to the head it is reviewed by a chain of command and when deadly force is involved you add in Internal Affairs, Shooting Team comprised of department personnel from the range, the Academy where use of force is taught, Commanders over Training and SWAT personnel. Often times when requested either by the department or citizens, the FBI will avail itself. All info from videos, to radio transmissions, reports, photos and interviews are reviewed to determine if force was reasonable or excessive. The outcome of the use of force is part of the items weighed. I can tell you from experience, if no one but the bad guy suffers from the deadly force, it is looked at differently than if an innocent person is also harmed. In this case, assuming the officers rounds didn't strike anyone outside of the vehicle, it would probably be viewed as reasonable. There may be some tactical training issues that are brought up and addressed but firing him? unlikely

Moontrane

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2018, 08:31:45 PM »
They do for the most part. I've participated in training where we shot through doors, side windows and windshields and I was surprised at how little it affects the shots. But add driving 30 or 40 mph shooting at a moving vehicle.. it's hard to hit the right person.

Informative video. 

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2018, 08:49:19 PM »
That was forever ago! I have a desk job now and just teach others how to shoot and better understand the tactical environments that they may find themselves in...my greatest enemy now are cardboard targets and occasionally steel..

Me and my wife agreed that my days of doing stuff like that are over...USPSA carry optics division is the closest thing to action I’m ever going to see again unless something totally wild happens

Bench

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2018, 08:53:50 PM »
That was forever ago! I have a desk job now and just teach others how to shoot and better understand the tactical environments that they may find themselves in...my greatest enemy now are cardboard targets and occasionally steel..

Me and my wife agreed that my days of doing stuff like that are over...USPSA carry optics division is the closest thing to action I’m ever going to see again unless something totally wild happens

Bench

That's actually a good thing. They tell me it's a young mans game ... I am starting to believe it.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2018, 09:05:42 PM »
I can't address all those points because non-law enforcement people don't have access to all the scenario-based information available to current or former police.

That said, in a city like Vegas they can surely mobilize a relatively large number of units on short notice. Just watch any episode of COPS or Live PD and they have like 6 cars the moment some black kid gets marked by a sniffer dog for having a brick of coke in his car. With today's technology the police can converge on one location pretty quickly, and when you factor in the nature of a chase...usually there's an entire motorcade following the suspect unless they're told to abandon it due to risk to the population (narrow streets, suburban areas, parks, schools, etc.).

I haven't read or heard of any police firing out of their cars for a very long time. Using cars as cover when being shot at and shooting back? Yeah, regularly that happens. But not what this video showed. I think body cams are the best thing to happen to cops in decades - that way you know what happened and they're tamper-proof (I have a Patrol Eyes which an admin-only control functionality) to the people wearing them. Remember, cops have had their hand tightened behind their backs more since the wild days of the 1970s. It was the shooting of a young black kid in Tennessee in 1974 as he fled from the scene of a burglary that led to the supreme court ruling that you can't shoot a suspect just because they're running away; your life needs to be in danger, or someone else's life, to discharge your firearm. Then we all saw the crooked cops like that one guy in South Carolina who shot that guy then planted a gun underneath him. It's rare but it's still out there. The moment you fire that bullet, you don't control it anymore.

Anyway, the idea of law enforcement is always prevention, then containment, not confrontation. If there's a way to get someone a day or two later, or even an hour later, than on the spot, then as hard as that is to do on a personal level, you sometimes have to do it.

The cop doesn't always get the luxury of laying back. If they had dropped back.. and lost them and someone had died from their shooting then I'd probably be reading about pussy cops on this thread instead. I don't know what to tell you other than sometimes they have to act. When they don't sometimes it costs lives like that nice officer who stayed outside the school during the shooting.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2018, 10:01:15 PM »
That's actually a good thing. They tell me it's a young mans game ... I am starting to believe it.
It’s for the best..I have a super easy job that requires me to workoutout and shoot guns all day...should have done it years ago!

Bench

Ropo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2018, 10:19:40 PM »
I mostly agree, but the mag change betrayed a lack of firearms training.  For LEOs, the mag change should be second nature.  The Fort Hood shooter used to sit in his barcalounger watching TV while practicing tactical/speed reloads.  No one could stop him while he was shooting indoor because he reloaded too quickly.

Still, high praise to the officer.  8)

Dear child, it would be fun to see your mag change while somebody is shooting at you. I bet that among the mag you should change also your underwear because they are filled with shit  ;D

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2018, 10:21:29 PM »
There are some really rough and tumble tactical operators with over 100 words per minute typing speed on this here forum.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2018, 10:34:52 PM »
I can't address all those points because non-law enforcement people don't have access to all the scenario-based information available to current or former police.

That said, in a city like Vegas they can surely mobilize a relatively large number of units on short notice. Just watch any episode of COPS or Live PD and they have like 6 cars the moment some black kid gets marked by a sniffer dog for having a brick of coke in his car. With today's technology the police can converge on one location pretty quickly, and when you factor in the nature of a chase...usually there's an entire motorcade following the suspect unless they're told to abandon it due to risk to the population (narrow streets, suburban areas, parks, schools, etc.).

I haven't read or heard of any police firing out of their cars for a very long time. Using cars as cover when being shot at and shooting back? Yeah, regularly that happens. But not what this video showed. I think body cams are the best thing to happen to cops in decades - that way you know what happened and they're tamper-proof (I have a Patrol Eyes which an admin-only control functionality) to the people wearing them. Remember, cops have had their hand tightened behind their backs more since the wild days of the 1970s. It was the shooting of a young black kid in Tennessee in 1974 as he fled from the scene of a burglary that led to the supreme court ruling that you can't shoot a suspect just because they're running away; your life needs to be in danger, or someone else's life, to discharge your firearm. Then we all saw the crooked cops like that one guy in South Carolina who shot that guy then planted a gun underneath him. It's rare but it's still out there. The moment you fire that bullet, you don't control it anymore.

Anyway, the idea of law enforcement is always prevention, then containment, not confrontation. If there's a way to get someone a day or two later, or even an hour later, than on the spot, then as hard as that is to do on a personal level, you sometimes have to do it.

Bro did you watch the video? How long was the cop following the tahoe before any help arrived, and when it did it was quickly locked out of the chase due to traffic. How long did it take police to organize during the mass concert shooting, police cant just materialize on the scene because there is a call.

He called for air support, do you think helicopters can just appear in seconds, and that's assuming they're in the air.

I don't think the technology they're using is that advanced, the dispatcher didn't even have the right car number she was repeating C1 when he said he was C4, plus he was continually stating the street names he was on. I'm sure they have GPS tracking but let's not assume the local police have the same access to tech that the military does.

On camera it's easy to judge his actions, dude was obviously nervous and shook, but he was being fired upon by a moving vehicle on a busy city street.  He eliminated the threat, if the gunman was willing to shoot at a cop there's no telling what they would have done to anyone else. Letting the guy drive off ahead wasn't an option once shots were fired.

Moontrane

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2018, 10:58:36 PM »
Dear child, it would be fun to see your mag change while somebody is shooting at you. I bet that among the mag you should change also your underwear because they are filled with shit  ;D

My mag change under fire is irrelevant, and I don't wear underwear.  :D  I'd probably end up throwing my unloaded gun at the shooter and running for my life.

The officer was not receiving fire at the time of the mag change; if he had been, he wouldn't have attempted to reload but instead sought cover.  All LEOs should be able to execute a speed reload flawlessly.  It's a function of training.  I take a hard line on LEO firearms training because they carry the power of life and death (ours and theirs) on their hip.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2018, 12:28:41 AM »
But add driving 30 or 40 mph shooting at a moving vehicle.. it's hard to hit the right person.

No question.