Author Topic: Bodybuilding in the Bible  (Read 1370 times)

Brian Poulos

• Getbig III
Bodybuilding in the Bible
« on: July 17, 2018, 04:19:53 PM »
Some really interesting passages from the Bible supporting our sport of Bodybuilding. Enjoy.

Weightlifting is taking care of God’s body

1. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.”

2. Romans 12:1 “And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice–the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.”

3. 1 Timothy 4:7-9 “Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance.”

Do it for the glory of God

4. 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 “Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.”

5. 1 Corinthians 10:31 “So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

6. Colossians 3:17 “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

Motivational verses for weightlifting

7. Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

8. Ephesians 6:10 “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.”

9. Psalm 29:11 “May the Lord give strength to his people! May the Lord bless his people with peace!”

10. 1 Corinthians 16:13 “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.”

11. Ezekiel 37:6 “I will put flesh and muscles on you and cover you with skin. I will put breath into you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the LORD.”

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: Bodybuilding in the Bible
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 04:21:59 PM »
The Bible can be whatever based on interpretation...if you read it hard enough I can convince you that it predicted the internet and ice cream is a sin

Bench

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 04:36:09 PM »
::)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 05:09:25 PM »

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 05:10:03 PM »
They touch on the Zane Leg Blaster© briefly in Leviticus and Ecclesiastes.

6 Reps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 05:30:51 PM »
If you’re really interested in this subject try reading this book:

www.routledge.com/Gods-Gym-Divine-Male-Bodies-of-the-Bible/Moore/p/book/9780415917575

I read this book about 20 years ago, and if I recall correctly, the main thesis was that God was not this old man but actually a bodybuilder.  The author cites all these verses that describe God as a very strong individual.  Since man was created in his image the bodybuilder ergo would be the closest human form to God.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 05:38:14 PM »
Vanity is a sin. If we don't have excessive pride in our appearances, who does?

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 05:47:52 PM »
Thy anabolic window doth be false
Gen 5:18

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 05:54:14 PM »
Some really interesting passages from the Bible supporting our sport of Bodybuilding. Enjoy.

Weightlifting is taking care of God’s body

1. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 “Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body.”

2. Romans 12:1 “And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice–the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him.”

3. 1 Timothy 4:7-9 “Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. This is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance.”

Do it for the glory of God

4. 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 “Don’t you realize that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win! All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.”

5. 1 Corinthians 10:31 “So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.”

6. Colossians 3:17 “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

Motivational verses for weightlifting

7. Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”

8. Ephesians 6:10 “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.”

9. Psalm 29:11 “May the Lord give strength to his people! May the Lord bless his people with peace!”

10. 1 Corinthians 16:13 “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.”

11. Ezekiel 37:6 “I will put flesh and muscles on you and cover you with skin. I will put breath into you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the LORD.”

best quotes in the bible IMO
A

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »
Q

TonyAlva

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 06:30:18 PM »

Thanks brother that is my favorite quote in the bible. This quote is actually etched in the cornerstone of the YMCA in my home town, the "King James " version, it somehow sounds more heroic and epic:

Corinthians 16:13 King James Version (KJV)
 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong.