Author Topic: My bodybuilding guru  (Read 2133 times)

Brian Poulos

• Getbig III
My bodybuilding guru
« on: July 27, 2018, 05:14:21 PM »

This guy is the man. He has written a bunch of excellent nooks on bodybuilding for natties. Editor of Ironman Mag. Definitely the real deal. I like him better then Rippetoe or Tom Venuto.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: My bodybuilding guru
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 05:33:16 PM »

This guy is the man. He has written a bunch of excellent nooks on bodybuilding for natties. Editor of Ironman Mag. Definitely the real deal. I like him better then Rippetoe or Tom Venuto.

I would hope you wouldn't take bodybuilding advice from Rippetoe

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 05:52:06 PM »
I would hope you wouldn't take bodybuilding advice from Rippetoe

Rippetoe is just awful.

myosaurus

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 09:06:39 PM »
Steve hofman creater of POF. Awesome book!

urj200

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 10:29:36 PM »
I live in Oxnard and used to see Steve, Johnathon Lawson and John Balik when I'd go to the Iron Man offices to buy supplements.

Smart guys all of them. The magazine is not what it was when John Balik owned it.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 04:00:02 AM »
I live in Oxnard and used to see Steve, Johnathon Lawson and John Balik when I'd go to the Iron Man offices to buy supplements.

Smart guys all of them. The magazine is not what it was when John Balik owned it.

Ironman was never the same after Rader sold it...

urj200

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
I still have some of the Rader IM's. Classics for sure.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 08:25:42 AM »
URJ, I had a few occasions to visit John at the IronMan photo studio, warehouse, editorial office and gotta admit that he had a damn fine staff working for him and the magazine and it was a  sad occasion to see him sell out and retire.

Mike Neveaux (spelling) was the magazine's main photographer and he spent the entire day starting at sunrise shooting Tony Breznik.

That sunrise session was suposed to be shot on the beach under the LAX runway but the sun never did appear that morning so we packed up and shot the rest of the day with Mike in the  IronMan photo studio.

Three months or so later, Tony got some damn fine coverage.

I am not a magazine buyer and have no idea who owns IronMan now, but I was an associate of the original Mabel and Perry when they published IronMan and there are a lot of stories back in them good old days of Hoffman and Grimick, and Kono, and Starr, and "Uncle' Joe, and his bro in Canada, etc,. etc.

If I can ever find my way- back machine, I'll be heading back in that direction to determine if this golden-age, scuttle-butt, stuff is true or just a figment of someone's imagination!

If I had the time (and the inclination) I'd write a  book ... but no one would believe it!

(Myself included.)

Have you seen John or his IronMan staff since then and do you recall the names of his staff ... all of whom I met briefly while they were in the process of publishing their next issue

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 08:34:10 AM »
Ironman was never the same after Rader sold it...

I still have some of the Rader IM's. Classics for sure.

True on both accounts. 

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 03:57:59 PM »
A