Author Topic: Anybody have the Flex cover of Yates doing the 200lb dumbell rows?  (Read 11965 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
Re: Anybody have the Flex cover of Yates doing the 200lb dumbell rows?
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2006, 01:52:08 PM »
Ronnie wasnt pro until late 1991

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2006, 01:53:47 PM »
Ronnie wasnt pro until late 1991

sarcasm, 0wned  ;D

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2006, 01:55:33 PM »
  sarcasm, 0wned  ;D

right now Im using a screw driver to pick his face out of the tread on my boot

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2006, 02:35:14 PM »
right now Im using a screw driver to pick his face out of the tread on my boot

The troll probably won't come back to this thread now. Excellent work ;D

vinnyvee

• Getbig IV
  • Dorian never bitched, he just shut em up!
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2006, 02:45:56 PM »
200's thats nothing.  We had 300 lb DB's at Worlds here and several guys did those including Ronnie for 12 I think.  200's are used for warmups for allot of guys here.

That's what I'm talkin about! I remember when some mag posted a mention that Ronnie was seen in a gym in Hawaii rowing 330lb'rs. It's plenty believable, I'd still like to see a pic though. 8)

Gordon_Gekko

• Getbig III
  • All drugs!
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2006, 07:24:01 PM »
That's what I'm talkin about! I remember when some mag posted a mention that Ronnie was seen in a gym in Hawaii rowing 330lb'rs. It's plenty believable, I'd still like to see a pic though. 8)

I lived in the Honolulu area from Sept 1997 into early August of 2000. The World Gym downtown off Alamoana Blvd behind CompUSA had 300 pounders. There was a pic autographed to the owner of Ronnie onearm rowing one of the 300's. He wrote "Hey Shane, you need to get heavier dumbells" on the pic. That was an awesome gym. I heard it shut down not long after I moved back to the mainland.
Greed is good!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2006, 10:14:39 PM »
I lived in the Honolulu area from Sept 1997 into early August of 2000. The World Gym downtown off Alamoana Blvd behind CompUSA had 300 pounders. There was a pic autographed to the owner of Ronnie onearm rowing one of the 300's. He wrote "Hey Shane, you need to get heavier dumbells" on the pic. That was an awesome gym. I heard it shut down not long after I moved back to the mainland.

Yes that is the we trained at.  Later on in the front entrance he setup a bench press with whatever the world record was in the bench press at the time.  Each time it was broke he would add weight.  It closed because someone caught it on fire.  We later tried to reopen in 2001 but no one had any faith.  Shane was a good guy too.  The block where CompUSA is, is the block where I was building my gym Champiions Fitness Center.  160,000 sq.ft. with the weight room alone being the length and width of a football field with a 40' ceiling. Over 40 tons of freeweights.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2006, 11:28:01 PM »

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2006, 01:41:57 AM »
How good are dumbbell rows for the delts?  I really need to "bring up" my mid and rear delts.

Gordon_Gekko

• Getbig III
  • All drugs!
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2006, 07:57:54 AM »
Yes that is the we trained at.  Later on in the front entrance he setup a bench press with whatever the world record was in the bench press at the time.  Each time it was broke he would add weight.  It closed because someone caught it on fire.  We later tried to reopen in 2001 but no one had any faith.  Shane was a good guy too.  The block where CompUSA is, is the block where I was building my gym Champiions Fitness Center.  160,000 sq.ft. with the weight room alone being the length and width of a football field with a 40' ceiling. Over 40 tons of freeweights.

World's was huge and had to be the best equipped gym I've ever trained at by far. I can fondly recall the huge plastic globe-like containers of chalk they had everywhere, and that they had a large number of flat and incline benches, squat racks, power racks, etc. The times I was there I don't recall ever having to work in or wait for anything because there were so many of everything.

Are there any gyms anything like that in Honolulu nowadays? Seems like I remember that when I first got out there, there had been a Gold's downtown that had closed or changed to a 24hr Fitness or something. I don't think World's was open when I first moved out there. I'd like to go back for a vacation maybe later this year. Who knows, I may decide not to leave.
Greed is good!

Gordon_Gekko

• Getbig III
  • All drugs!
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2006, 08:05:37 AM »
How good are dumbbell rows for the delts?  I really need to "bring up" my mid and rear delts.

For the rear delts, I've found that standing bentover laterals (preferably with a chest support to faciliate heavier weight and for better isolation - I've found this will also help put meat on the side delts, BTW) work well.

Also, any type of rowing movement where you bring the bar, dumbells, cable, or machine handle to the chest area (rather than to the lower abdomen)keeping the elbows angled out to the sides will hit the rear delts. I particularly like to do seated machine rows this way as a rear delt exercise on shoulder day.

Of course, don't leave out heavy overhead presses.
Greed is good!

sean

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2006, 03:32:21 PM »
300lb db rows.... whatever. I think there really comes a point where your just ego blasting.  Considering tempo, I dont think most guys could do 170's for even a 1 second pause at the top with a 3 second lower.  nonsense.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2006, 04:05:17 PM »
300lb db rows.... whatever. I think there really comes a point where your just ego blasting.  Considering tempo, I dont think most guys could do 170's for even a 1 second pause at the top with a 3 second lower.  nonsense.

I sure hope they can...i can do what you just proposed and i'm not even close to the strength of those guys.

8)

Gordon_Gekko

• Getbig III
  • All drugs!
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2006, 04:21:32 PM »

Contrary to what muscle mags, Ellington Darden, and the odd online guru claim, most pros (and in fact most serious weight trainers, myself included) don't do reps anywhere near that slow. If I do 12-15 reps, my set takes as little as 30 seconds to complete - maybe 40-45 seconds max, depending upon the ROM of the exercise. If I do 8-10 reps, it takes as little as 20 seconds, maybe 30 seconds max.

Going too slow obviously limits the amount of weight one can use. For those with less-than-stellar genetics who are not on a ton of drugs, progressive overload is probably the most important factor, at least during the "growing years". Of course there is such a thing as going too fast and not controlling the weight. Bouncing, jerking, dropping, etc is obviously not good either.

I don't know if I've ever encountered anyone of significant size and / or strength who actually regularly took more than one second on the concentric and two seconds (usually only one) on the eccentric - UNLESS of course they were deliberately doing so in order to try something different or to convince people that they actually followed whatever training method they were trying to promote (superslow, Arthur Jones HIT / Nautilus, etc).
Greed is good!