Author Topic: Fortnite - is it getting out of control?  (Read 6113 times)

tacobender

• Getbig IV
Fortnite - is it getting out of control?
« on: August 20, 2018, 04:59:13 PM »
My stepson is 13 gonna be 14 but this shit is getting out of control .  It’s starting to affect his life he can’t handle his game system being taken away I know part of the reason is coping mechanism from losing his real father year and a half ago .  But on a real subject I am ready to whip his ass just to sticky situation being CPS getting involved and or cops how would you guys handle this? Serious question .

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
Re: Fortnite
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 05:08:45 PM »
teens often kill their parents 4 taking video games away. food 4 thought

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 05:12:35 PM »
My stepson is 13 gonna be 14 but this shit is getting out of control .  It’s starting to affect his life he can’t handle his game system being taken away I know part of the reason is coping mechanism from losing his real father year and a half ago .  But on a real subject I am ready to whip his ass just to sticky situation being CPS getting involved and or cops how would you guys handle this? Serious question .
Did you tell him that there is place called “outside”? And did you tell him of these beings called “girls”?

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 05:39:25 PM »
My daughter plays it like crazy but she is not at the point you mention yet.Its getting there though.So as of a week ago she gets 1 hour per day on phone and that’s that.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 05:52:35 PM »
My daughter plays it like crazy but she is not at the point you mention yet.Its getting there though.So as of a week ago she gets 1 hour per day on phone and that’s that.
correct limit there time my boys played 1 to 2 hours during school weeks after work was done grades slip no games ...but when youre a step parent of a 13 year old its hard because you didnt put in the ground work from the get go
p

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 05:58:22 PM »
Establish fair and reasonable boundaries and then stick to them.  X amount of time means X amount of time, no exceptions.  You don't have to be mean but you have to teach them about rules.  A lot of teens think rules are just glorified guidelines that don't really have to be followed.  Sit down and brainstorm some ideas for activities your kid can do other than video games.  Suggest some of them to see if they spark any interest.  If your kid wants to be an ass and mope around all day or sit there like a schmuck because he doesn't have his game, well that's his choice.  But once you establish rules, stick to them.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 05:59:08 PM »
It would be interesting to know what Mom says about all this.

If it was my kid I'd consider talking to the kid and agreeing upon  pre-determined times that he can be on it.  Explain to him that it isn't good for his mind and that he needs to be aware of that and regualte the amount of time he's playing.  If he's flipping out when you take it away then cite that as evidence that there is a problem.  Spend some time with him outside if you can.  If he refuses to cooperate after you try to reason with him, then it might be time for "because I said so".  Make sure you and his mom are on the same page.

.........that is, unless you've done all of this stuff already.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 08:11:33 PM »
Great game.

Play a couple times a day.
Y

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 08:15:02 PM »
Great game.

Play a couple times a day.

you still play kinect?

i just play friday the 13th and dead by daylight these days

E
E

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 08:17:56 PM »
what is the deal with the fortnite dances?

tacobender

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »
It would be interesting to know what Mom says about all this.

If it was my kid I'd consider talking to the kid and agreeing upon  pre-determined times that he can be on it.  Explain to him that it isn't good for his mind and that he needs to be aware of that and regualte the amount of time he's playing.  If he's flipping out when you take it away then cite that as evidence that there is a problem.  Spend some time with him outside if you can.  If he refuses to cooperate after you try to reason with him, then it might be time for "because I said so".  Make sure you and his mom are on the same page.

.........that is, unless you've done all of this stuff already.

His mom has done that he acts like a dick she takes it away then he does what he’s supposed to, Then once he gets back on it he’s the same asshole again trust me I’m getting to that point and as far as kids killing their parents for taking the games I have a lock on my door Requires a key out for him early on purpose just when we leave town nobody can go in and I have a 9 mm under my mattress locked up he is a good kid he’s been through a lot of shit with his dad and parents separating and losing his dad to suicide when I get upset and start yelling at him he respects me and stops he doesn’t listen to his mom but I’m getting ready to put them up into his ass. requires a key for him or near purpose just when we leave town nobody can go in and I have a 9 mm under my mattress locked up he is a good kid he’s been through a lot of shit with his dad and parents separating and losing his dad to suicide when I get upset and start yelling at him he respects me and stops he doesn’t listen to his mom but I’m getting ready to put them up into his ass

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 09:14:18 PM »
you still play kinect?

i just play friday the 13th and dead by daylight these days

E

nah, the kinnect is disconnected.

play fortnite since it's a easy to play a few quick games, and forget about it.......lots of fun too.
Y

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 09:21:05 PM »

This is huge distraction with my HS athletes (at the school where I coach). It really does affect their lives with dropping grades, late for morning lift, etc.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 10:38:27 PM »
His mom has done that he acts like a dick she takes it away then he does what he’s supposed to, Then once he gets back on it he’s the same asshole again trust me I’m getting to that point and as far as kids killing their parents for taking the games I have a lock on my door Requires a key out for him early on purpose just when we leave town nobody can go in and I have a 9 mm under my mattress locked up he is a good kid he’s been through a lot of shit with his dad and parents separating and losing his dad to suicide when I get upset and start yelling at him he respects me and stops he doesn’t listen to his mom but I’m getting ready to put them up into his ass.

Are you setting a good example for him as a man?   Have you tried talking to him with love and compassion?  Have you been able to get him to talk about his feelings at all?

I'm not suggesting you haven't done all this and I'm not saying I have all the answers.  All I know is that when I was helping to raise a troubled young man I was firm with him and provided a lot of structure but I tried to always do it in a calm manner.  I tried to make sure he understood that I loved him and I understood why he was acting out.......but all the while making clear that I don't take any shit.  It's not easy and I made mistakes along the way but it worked really well.  He's made a lot of progress and ever since we have been thick as thieves.  A deceased, dysfunctional or absent father will turn a young man's life into chaos.  That's exactly what my Godson was going through.  Real dad is in prison.

It's a very difficult job and it takes time to reign them in.  I'm sure you know all this already, I'm just saying whatever I can think of that might be of some kind of help.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2018, 03:51:19 AM »
This a tough since you are the step-dad.

Maybe a discussion could set aside time allotted for study, physical activity, and fortnite.

Tell him you just want him to also take care of these other areas for his well-being.

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2018, 04:29:11 AM »
Take him to the gym with you!

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “No no. Down here, Louie.”
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 05:34:00 AM »
I’m glad these weren’t around when I was a kid. I played a ton of games from Atari-PS2 but never to the point where it was ruining my life. If technology was like this during my early years, I probably woould’ve been fucked. Dopamine blue light zombies of peace

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 05:58:15 AM »
Why bother with someone elses kid?

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 06:18:50 AM »
Define "can't handle"? Most kids don't like being punished. But if he really can't handle it, it sounds like he has some other issues. I think it would be helpful if he talks to someone.
A

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2018, 06:47:34 AM »
“Stepson”

Cuck-a-mania

Who cares what the kid does. He’ll never respect you and only bring annoyance and misery to your cucked life.

Use his face as target practice for your fist cannons. At least make use of his presence.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 07:19:55 AM »
Don't put your hands on the brat, literally anything but that.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 07:21:06 AM »
Use his face as target practice for your fist cannons. At least make use of his presence.
This is disappointing, even for you.  :-\

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 07:39:27 AM »
Don't put your hands on the brat, literally anything but that.

You'd think this would be common sense.
Y

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2018, 07:57:31 AM »
“Stepson”

Cuck-a-mania

Who cares what the kid does. He’ll never respect you and only bring annoyance and misery to your cucked life.

lmfao... brutal

Rascal full

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2018, 09:40:32 AM »
“Stepson”

Cuck-a-mania

What a load of crap! Don't listen to this venomous rubbish you are a proper man for taking on this child. You have stepped to the plate so play it fully, you are his example now and that's it so make the best of it.

As for the game, what is so good about it? Looks like any other game to me would like to understand the appeal.