Author Topic: Question regarding gear use and acne  (Read 5132 times)

Notomorrow

  • Getbig IV
  • ****
  • Posts: 1481
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 11:38:22 AM »

the doctor i mentioned was working with BODYBUILDERS primarily, including one A. Schwarzenegger  ::) You can search his name on this very forum, he was a well known fixture of the scene. You are taking the word "Athletes" a bit too conventionally.

it is in fact, the very same "medical doctor" Ric Drasin talks about as being one of the two doctors practically EVERYONE in golds was seeing to get their shit.

funny you mention ric drasin, since in his very own video he details what was around but then goes into detail about what the top guys were using, and it was NOT TESTOSTERONE: pay close attention from 2:40 onwards - guys competing in the olymia, from gold's gym, were taking PRIMOBOLAN, WINSTROL AND DECA. Drasin for himself makes no specific mention of actually USING testosterone.



again, it was regarded as a dirty drug. Just because it was around (duh) doesnt mean it was popular.
Test was definetly used less but to say bodybuilders of the 70s didn't use test..and a lot of it is just not true.

As far as balding, its mostly genetic...as Drasin went bald quite early even if as you say he avoided test...Jay Cutler still has full head of hair(just starting to recede). ...

22 year old guys who never heard of steroids start balding...you have to have that genetic reaction to dht.....but...interestin g...yes test was used less....agreed

Dan Duchaines bread and butter cycle in underground steroid handbook was Deca/Dbol

You have some points.

SquatsRule

  • Getbig IV
  • ****
  • Posts: 3202
  • I am "teh sexy"
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »
Test was definetly used less but to say bodybuilders of the 70s didn't use test..and a lot of it is just not true.

As far as balding, its mostly genetic...as Drasin went bald quite early even if as you say he avoided test...Jay Cutler still has full head of hair(just starting to recede). ...

22 year old guys who never heard of steroids start balding...you have to have that genetic reaction to dht.....but...interestin g...yes test was used less....agreed

Dan Duchaines bread and butter cycle in underground steroid handbook was Deca/Dbol

You have some points.

My hairline was perfect until I ran tren. Now as long as I use Nizoral I don't lose anymore.
S

Kwon3

  • Guest
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2018, 01:54:54 PM »
Careful,  Accutane can really fuck with test, part of reason it works...Do a 3 month course and it permanently shrinks sebaceous glands...don't do as maintenance it can really fuck with bodybuilding.

Acta Derm Venereol. 2011 Jan;91(1):31-4. doi: 10.2340/00015555-1013

Isotretinoin influences pituitary hormone levels in acne patients.


In this study, we investigated the effects of isotretinoin on the pituitary-adrenal axis, whose activity may be increased in acne. Various hormone systems were evaluated before and after 3 months of isotretinoin treatment in 47 acne patients. Free triiodothyronine (T3), thyroid-stimulating hormone and thyroid-stimulating hormone receptor antibody levels decreased significantly during isotretinoin treatment (p < 0.001, p < 0.02 and p < 0.02, respectively), as did those of luteinising hormone, prolactin and total testosterone (p < 0.005), as well as morning cortisol and adrenocorticotropic hormone (p < 0.005 and p < 0.05, respectively). We conclude that isotretinoin causes mild suppression of pituitary hormone levels, which may be beneficial for tackling the pathogenesis of acne.




That's the least of Accutane's side-effects. The company that produces it was sued for millions for causing Crohn's disease in a number of users. A guy I know used it for 2 weeks and started getting an unusual redness on both sides of my nose that flaked and itched. Next thing I knew, his dermatologist diagnosed seborrheic dermatitis, an incurable skin disease that requires lifelong therapy with a variety of creams. This shit is bad. You never know what it'll do to you. To the OP: I say follow Matarazzo's advice and put the drugs away. If you're in your 30s and still need to be "big", you're probably mentally deranged anyway.

IroNat

  • Getbig V
  • *****
  • Posts: 44009
  • When going through hell...keep going
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2018, 02:40:19 PM »
Powerlifters and footballers were. Bodybuilders didn't touch it, many considered it a "dirty drug"

Its hardly like I'm just pulling this out of my ass, this is a consistent theme when sources from that era are engaged on the topic. Nandrolone was the primary drug of choice. Testosterone was avoided.

Dr Robert Kerr's book "the practical use of anabolic steroids with athletes" gives further evidence to this notion. He primarily prescribed nandrolone, dianabol and anavar. He did not like to prescribe testosterone due to the side effects unless the patient was adamant about gaining scale weight as fast as possible, again, typically footballers, not bodybuilders.

If anyone refuses to believe this despite every bit of evidence to the contrary, just ask yourself why looking at gym rats from the era there is an absence of bloat, acne, gyno, high blood pressure (characterized by chronically red/purple skin tinges) and hair loss, and why that is all too common in today's gym rats? The only thing that has changed is the drugs of choice.

you look at any olympia from 1950-1980 and almost every competitor on stage will not only have hair, but a full head of it. Look at any olympia from the past 20 years and notice how the prevalence of baldness skyrockets. Its not because having a chrome dome suddenly became fashionable, thats for fucking sure.

I knew bodybuilders in my gym using test in the 70s.  Competitive bodybuilders.

They had full heads of hair too.

The test made them strong as heck.

Other statements in your post are also inaccurate.

No offense intended.

I had the Kerr's book in the early 80s.  Bought it about 1983.  It is a good book.  

My training partner back then was going in a show and asked to borrow it.  He had already used steroids previously for other shows.  He said it was a good book but Kerr's recommended dosages were too small and he needed to take more.  Funny.

He was stacking 4 different steroids in much greater dosages than Kerr recommended.

Kerr was basically a doctor with good intentions prescribing heroin to addicts.  They took what he gave them and then got more from their pusher and took that too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/09/sports/dr-robert-kerr-65-known-as-steroid-guru.html

"Dr. Kerr later stopped prescribing steroids, saying that his attempts to give athletes guidance failed because they often supplemented what he prescribed with drugs they obtained elsewhere."





plebian

  • Getbig II
  • **
  • Posts: 142
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 07:15:49 PM »


"Dr. Kerr later stopped prescribing steroids, saying that his attempts to give athletes guidance failed because they often supplemented what he prescribed with drugs they obtained elsewhere."




 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

but of course

balzac

  • Getbig IV
  • ****
  • Posts: 1924
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2026, 12:27:45 PM »
21 years of peace...


wes

  • Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • *****
  • Posts: 75272
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2026, 10:11:47 PM »

illuminati

  • Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • *****
  • Posts: 27436
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2026, 02:29:01 AM »
WTF  ???

Yep WTF his skin condition ought to be a major concern to him.
Awful let alone his insides.

balzac

  • Getbig IV
  • ****
  • Posts: 1924
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2026, 01:19:48 PM »
another one...  :D

21 years, kids are crazy these days...

3D%3D


joswift

  • Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • *****
  • Posts: 39894
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2026, 01:27:44 PM »
another one...  :D

21 years, kids are crazy these days...

3D%3D

"no meals missed for years and years and years on end"

Hes fucking 21, probably been training for 2 years tops

Van_Bilderass

  • Getbig V
  • *****
  • Posts: 20071
  • "Don't Try"
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2026, 07:27:45 PM »
"no meals missed for years and years and years on end"

Hes fucking 21, probably been training for 2 years tops

Exactly. It's like when young pros preach patience when they won their first show after a few weeks of lifting. Lee Priest won something at 13, at 17 he was at the Worlds and competing as a pro at 19 I think :D

If someone is going to juice heavily it's probably best to do it young when you're most resilient. Not at 13, but let's say late teens, early 20s. Problem is it's not easy to just stop. I think I was 17 when I bought my first 100 dbols from a guy at school and he told me, "don't kill yourself bro!" I was looking at them thinking I'd just try it for a little bit :D

balzac

  • Getbig IV
  • ****
  • Posts: 1924
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2026, 01:10:34 PM »
 :o


joswift

  • Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • *****
  • Posts: 39894
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2026, 01:23:34 PM »
Exactly. It's like when young pros preach patience when they won their first show after a few weeks of lifting. Lee Priest won something at 13, at 17 he was at the Worlds and competing as a pro at 19 I think :D

If someone is going to juice heavily it's probably best to do it young when you're most resilient. Not at 13, but let's say late teens, early 20s. Problem is it's not easy to just stop. I think I was 17 when I bought my first 100 dbols from a guy at school and he told me, "don't kill yourself bro!" I was looking at them thinking I'd just try it for a little bit :D

Gaspari, Shawn Ray, Haney, Shane diMora (youngest pro at 19). all thse guys were using from at the latest 17. Haney won the Olympia at 24 also 3rd at 23

MAXX

  • Getbig V
  • *****
  • Posts: 17961
  • I wanna be big like Kovacs
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2026, 01:43:51 PM »
Exactly. It's like when young pros preach patience when they won their first show after a few weeks of lifting. Lee Priest won something at 13, at 17 he was at the Worlds and competing as a pro at 19 I think :D

If someone is going to juice heavily it's probably best to do it young when you're most resilient. Not at 13, but let's say late teens, early 20s. Problem is it's not easy to just stop. I think I was 17 when I bought my first 100 dbols from a guy at school and he told me, "don't kill yourself bro!" I was looking at them thinking I'd just try it for a little bit :D
I'm not sure about this

Because some of the best have been on low dose, just dablling around or even natty at younger ages and then started blasting at 30+.

A few prime examples of this principle, Ronnie Coleman, Andrew Jacked, Samson Dauda, Kai Greene
1

Van_Bilderass

  • Getbig V
  • *****
  • Posts: 20071
  • "Don't Try"
Re: Question regarding gear use and acne
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2026, 02:21:52 PM »
I'm not sure about this

Because some of the best have been on low dose, just dablling around or even natty at younger ages and then started blasting at 30+.

A few prime examples of this principle, Ronnie Coleman, Andrew Jacked, Samson Dauda, Kai Greene

I'm just saying your body is more resilient when young. You don't have to, nor should you, megadose right out of the gate. I think there's a happy medium. Going too light you waste too much time. For example if I were 17 again I would have done test, GH and insulin from the very start, I wouldn't wait 5 or 10 years before I put GH in. That kind of thing. I never really put serious GH doses in, just explaining the thought process. The prime years go by fast, easy to miss them and then think now I'm really going balls to the wall when you're already past those potentially best years.

Effects don't increase linearly and going too high could even hurt your bodybuilding with all the sides you get. Can't train, can't eat, can't sleep.