Author Topic: Question about driving a manual (stick shift) car  (Read 3192 times)

chrisbro

• Getbig III
Re: Question about driving a manual (stick shift) car
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2018, 09:16:24 AM »
Conker …  ;D

Explorerspl

• Getbig III
Re: Question about driving a manual (stick shift) car
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2018, 09:25:16 AM »

nah, i get very decent fuel economy out of my vehicles. up until a few years ago i used to do around 50k miles per year, i probably do around half of that these days as i have other people doing more of my donkey work. but fuel economy is very important to my business. i am a very experienced driver with a lot of miles under my belt.

it's a common misconception you have. nearly everyone drives around in too low gears. if you actually know how too drive it's not difficult to tell you're in too high a gear as you can feel the engine isn't properly engaged. majority of people change gears too late and burn up extra fuel and kill the engine early at the same time.

2nd time my clutch went on my last vehicle my friend who is a mechanic drove it from my house (with no clutch) to his garage around 15 miles away. when he brought it back he told me he couldn't believe how nicely it drove since it had about 220k miles already on the clock.

i know this is because of the way i drive.

I have a common misconception lol cute. Unlike you I don't have a friend that's a mechanic. I build my own engines and understand how gearing in a transmission works as I always regear my rear ends/transmissions for an economy/performance compromise.

Using a vacuum gauge is the only way to determine the optimal throttle position for MPG,it's science not a misconception.

I'm glad you get acceptable MPG with your driving style,but it's not optimal