Author Topic: Reading Material.... you know, books.  (Read 1541 times)

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Reading Material.... you know, books.
« on: September 28, 2018, 07:58:36 AM »
Looking for recommendations from the fine scholars of the Getbig community.  Running a bit low on my reading selection and have another photography gig coming up for 20 days at the end of October that I would like some fresh material to load on my iPad.

Never one to ask without offering in return, last June when I did the photo gig in Korea and China, I went through these below :

1.  Red Sniper On The Eastern Front - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/red-sniper-on-the-eastern-front-joseph-pilyushin/1113059663 - this is an account of the Soviet sniper Pilyushin.   Told from the Soviet point of view towards the war and how the German's behaved.  I got the feeling most of the terrible things the Soviets did was ignored.  Had an interesting part where he and his comrades would storm trenches and bunkers and find that the German officers had hand cuffed younger fresh recruits to machine guns in order to keep them firing so that the officers could escape.

2.  Sniper on the Eastern Front - https://www.amazon.com/Sniper-Eastern-Front-Memoirs-Allerberger-ebook/dp/B005586WRW - Allerberger one of German's most famous snipers.  This book was REALLY good.  Amazing story.  This dude was originally assigned to the army as a machine gunner and due to the horrible high amount of machine gunner deaths decided he wanted another gig.  He found a Soviet sniper rifle on the field and proceeded to teach himself how to shoot, adjust for wind and distance, etc...   the Soviets were ahead of the curve in utilizing snipers during the war and the Germans were slow to catch up.  He innovated many sniper techniques still used today just from his natural instinct.  He went into detail about how the Soviets were brutal and butchered most of their captured prisoners.  There was a squad of Soviets that encountered a field hospital and rounded up the doctors and made them watch as they went from bed to bed cutting the throats of all the patients there and then killed the doctors except a couple that ran and escaped.  Another story had him hiding in a small village on observation duty when 23 Soviets stopped into town and gathered only 30 yards from his hiding place.  They proceeded to rape a village girl over and over for hours until she passed out.  They forced her husband to watch as they waited for her to start coming back around and then inserted a flare gun in her vagina and fired it, the flare cooking her from the inside out as she screamed and clawed at her stomach trying to dig it out until she died.  Upon getting ready to leave they spotted an approaching German platoon heading their way and took up ambush positions.  Unfortunately with his friends in sight, the sniper soon had 22 dead Soviets around and the sole survivor was a man they tied down to a cross and left as the woman's husband approached with an axe and started smashing his bones before (they assumed) using the sharpened end on him.

(I recommend reading the two above in the order I did and have listed.)

3. Sniper in Helmand.  Don't waste your time.  Written like a pimple face geek who just played his first game of Call of Duty.  This dude sucked.  He only had like 5-7 kills.  Probably by accident.  He wasted too much time writing about back slapping with his buddies and crap.  Seriously, after reading the two books above about how those snipers had to lay motionless in grass or waste for hours in freezing cold weather to (hopefully) get a shot at someone through smoke, wind, rain, artillery attacks, etc...  I had no real respect for this twit who relied a spotter to tell him where a target was after consulting electronic range finders, heat registering googles, satellite recon, advanced rifles that did everything but fire themselves, etc..

TL;DR - need decent book to pass time on flights.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
Re: Reading Material.... you know, books.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 08:57:23 AM »
Im not gonna read all that but for a good read
dean koontz ---THE FORBIDDEN DOOR
lisa wingate --- BEFORE WE WERE YOURS
p

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »
 ;)
F

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 09:45:34 AM »
And if you want something more scholastic and scientific:

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 10:07:17 AM »
 ;)
F

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 10:08:55 AM »
Looking for recommendations from the fine scholars of the Getbig community.  Running a bit low on my reading selection and have another photography gig coming up for 20 days at the end of October that I would like some fresh material to load on my iPad.

Never one to ask without offering in return, last June when I did the photo gig in Korea and China, I went through these below :

1.  Red Sniper On The Eastern Front - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/red-sniper-on-the-eastern-front-joseph-pilyushin/1113059663 - this is an account of the Soviet sniper Pilyushin.   Told from the Soviet point of view towards the war and how the German's behaved.  I got the feeling most of the terrible things the Soviets did was ignored.  Had an interesting part where he and his comrades would storm trenches and bunkers and find that the German officers had hand cuffed younger fresh recruits to machine guns in order to keep them firing so that the officers could escape.

2.  Sniper on the Eastern Front - https://www.amazon.com/Sniper-Eastern-Front-Memoirs-Allerberger-ebook/dp/B005586WRW - Allerberger one of German's most famous snipers.  This book was REALLY good.  Amazing story.  This dude was originally assigned to the army as a machine gunner and due to the horrible high amount of machine gunner deaths decided he wanted another gig.  He found a Soviet sniper rifle on the field and proceeded to teach himself how to shoot, adjust for wind and distance, etc...   the Soviets were ahead of the curve in utilizing snipers during the war and the Germans were slow to catch up.  He innovated many sniper techniques still used today just from his natural instinct.  He went into detail about how the Soviets were brutal and butchered most of their captured prisoners.  There was a squad of Soviets that encountered a field hospital and rounded up the doctors and made them watch as they went from bed to bed cutting the throats of all the patients there and then killed the doctors except a couple that ran and escaped.  Another story had him hiding in a small village on observation duty when 23 Soviets stopped into town and gathered only 30 yards from his hiding place.  They proceeded to rape a village girl over and over for hours until she passed out.  They forced her husband to watch as they waited for her to start coming back around and then inserted a flare gun in her vagina and fired it, the flare cooking her from the inside out as she screamed and clawed at her stomach trying to dig it out until she died.  Upon getting ready to leave they spotted an approaching German platoon heading their way and took up ambush positions.  Unfortunately with his friends in sight, the sniper soon had 22 dead Soviets around and the sole survivor was a man they tied down to a cross and left as the woman's husband approached with an axe and started smashing his bones before (they assumed) using the sharpened end on him.

(I recommend reading the two above in the order I did and have listed.)

3. Sniper in Helmand.  Don't waste your time.  Written like a pimple face geek who just played his first game of Call of Duty.  This dude sucked.  He only had like 5-7 kills.  Probably by accident.  He wasted too much time writing about back slapping with his buddies and crap.  Seriously, after reading the two books above about how those snipers had to lay motionless in grass or waste for hours in freezing cold weather to (hopefully) get a shot at someone through smoke, wind, rain, artillery attacks, etc...  I had no real respect for this twit who relied a spotter to tell him where a target was after consulting electronic range finders, heat registering googles, satellite recon, advanced rifles that did everything but fire themselves, etc..

TL;DR - need decent book to pass time on flights.

What do you like? Just fiction sniper books?
Anyway, do you have a library card? Get one and DL books for free with Libby.
Kindle unlimited is nice too. Selection can be limited tho.  

A

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 10:11:37 AM »
 8)
F

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 10:17:01 AM »
I recommend the Beyond the Thong Series by Robert Paris. I would start with Gorilla Suit and then climax at the end with Generation Queer.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 10:34:08 AM »
Mein Kampf

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 10:37:58 AM »
Mein Kampf
translation MY STRUGGLE -with liking the penis
p

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 10:44:42 AM »
translation MY STRUGGLE -with liking the penis

Funny guy.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 10:51:24 AM »
At the risk of giving you too many options, here's the "What are you reading?" thread

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=377521.0
T

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »
Mein Kampf

I actually want to read this one. Will probaby buy it on the next days.

dan18

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 11:42:39 AM »
Funny guy.
To be honest he was a mad man but the best self promoter ive ever seen would read the book didn't he write it while lock up
p

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 12:51:25 PM »
military books

no mean solider by peter mcaleese

first into action duncan falconer

marine sniper, carlos hathcock

dead centre ed kugler

seal team six richard marcinko

other books

the ronin william dale jennings

lords of finance liaqat ahamed

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 01:42:44 PM »
I read a variety of things.  Just not any religious or political crap.

I just finished the Last Will and Testament of Lucky Luciano.   It was excellent.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »

I just finished the Last Will and Testament of Lucky Luciano.   It was excellent.
Artemis is good sci-fi
Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyber War is decent.
Ghost in the wires. The Kevin mitnick book is good.
Ready player one, is better then the movie and almost completely different.
A

Titus Pullo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 02:07:36 PM »
Turn of the Screw.
A Man In Full.
Most anything Hemingway.  He mastered "brevity is the soul of wit."
Cold Mountain was pretty damned good, too.  Shame the movie adaptation sucked.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 02:53:13 PM »

True crime -

If you like Mafia books, Murder Machine by Capeci and Mustain was excellent. It's about the Demeo Crew in late 70's, early 80's NYC. If you're a Sopranos fan, you also see some similarities between the book and some later show plots.

American Desperado about the early 80's Miami drug trade was a fun read.

Clubland by Frank Owen was pretty good. It deals with Michael Alig, the Limelight, and the American Rave drug dealing scene of the early 90's.

The Brotherhoods by Guy Lawson was top notch. It deals with the infamous Mob Cops, and the various mob wars of the 80's, 90's.

The Five Families by Selwyn Rabb is a classic.

Crais, Lawrence Block, Walter Mosley, Pelecanos, Robert B Parker, Donald Westlake / Richard Stark are always good for crime fiction. James Ellroy too, but you may need to be in the mood for him.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »

seal team six richard marcinko

Marcinko wrote good non-fiction and military fiction. The series lost steam with the departure of Jon Weisman though.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 03:04:27 PM »

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 03:25:10 PM »
🤘

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »
I recommend the Beyond the Thong Series by Robert Paris. I would start with Gorilla Suit and then climax at the end with Generation Queer.

Might be better as a picture book.  No homo?