Author Topic: Best knee sleeves?  (Read 4599 times)

Dave D

• Getbig V
Best knee sleeves?
« on: October 15, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
I'm looking to pick up a pair of knee sleeves. I was going to with Rehband but I've heard SBD sleeves are better.

I know most here don't lift but if someone does and has any experience with either brand I'd appreciate sharing your experience.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Re: Best knee sleeves?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 12:28:11 PM »
When I was in University in Atlanta, I talked with Lee Haney quite often.   For the subject of knee wraps, he always stated that the absolute best ones to use were the ones that had the hole cut out on top for your knee cap to move a bit more freely.   He said that would be all he would wear if he could find a size that would fit him.  But he couldn't so he used regular knee wraps.  He would start the wrapping process on his upper shin and wrap straight up to the lower portion of his quad.   He wouldn't do any fancy criss cross weave type shit.  He said the worst thing he ever saw was people wrapping and making a tight "X" pattern on the top of their kneecaps.  Said it would only lead to trouble later on for them.  He never wrapped tight either, just snug.

He also said that as soon as he went over 135, he would wrap.  He would do a couple sets with 135 to warm up and then go to 185 and wrap.  He said although he could do more weight on the squats than 315, he rarely went over 315 as he felt it was unnecessary.  Instead more reps or pre exhausting the quads first provided better gains than increasing the weight.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 12:41:06 PM »
I'm looking to pick up a pair of knee sleeves. I was going to with Rehband but I've heard SBD sleeves are better.

I know most here don't lift but if someone does and has any experience with either brand I'd appreciate sharing your experience.

The blue Rehband 7051's are probably the better choice if you're OLing or going to be doing more general lifting. I haven't really tried the SBD's out too much, but they were certainly more of a powerlifting sleeve longer, stiffer, and more supportive. Kind of a pain to get on and off compared to the others.

The TK or cheap McDavid ones are good if you just want a little support and warmth.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 01:07:23 PM »
When I was in University in Atlanta, I talked with Lee Haney quite often.   For the subject of knee wraps, he always stated that the absolute best ones to use were the ones that had the hole cut out on top for your knee cap to move a bit more freely.   He said that would be all he would wear if he could find a size that would fit him.  But he couldn't so he used regular knee wraps.  He would start the wrapping process on his upper shin and wrap straight up to the lower portion of his quad.   He wouldn't do any fancy criss cross weave type shit.  He said the worst thing he ever saw was people wrapping and making a tight "X" pattern on the top of their kneecaps.  Said it would only lead to trouble later on for them.  He never wrapped tight either, just snug.

He also said that as soon as he went over 135, he would wrap.  He would do a couple sets with 135 to warm up and then go to 185 and wrap.  He said although he could do more weight on the squats than 315, he rarely went over 315 as he felt it was unnecessary.  Instead more reps or pre exhausting the quads first provided better gains than increasing the weight.

Great advice. Lee Haney is a smart trainer. No ego lifting. Thanks.

The blue Rehband 7051's are probably the better choice if you're OLing or going to be doing more general lifting. I haven't really tried the SBD's out too much, but they were certainly more of a powerlifting sleeve longer, stiffer, and more supportive. Kind of a pain to get on and off compared to the others.

The TK or cheap McDavid ones are good if you just want a little support and warmth.

I had cheap McDavid just for warmth. They're no longer useable. Thanks for the info, I had my mind set on the Rehband but I've heard good stuff about the SBD.

milone79

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »
First wrapping your knees is stupid unless competing in equipped powerlifting comps!! They restrict the natural movement tracking of your patellas and in time will cause more damage to your knees. They also give you a stretch rebound which will help you lift way more than you can without them! Good for the ego, not so good for your actual body!!

I have both the Rehbands and the SBDs and have used them both over the years. Sleeves do not give you the advantage that knee wraps provide and is why they are allowed in RAW powerlifting meets. They will assist you a bit over using nothing at all despite the claims made by many that they only provide compression and "warmth" to the knees.

IMO the SBDs are better than the Rehbands as they are much tighter and cover more of the leg since they are longer. Getting them on and off is a drag but there are several videos on YouTube to show you the trick to getting in and out of them.

These days I prefer using nothing at all when I squat and my knees are healthier than ever!!

my 2 cents

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 02:18:23 PM »
Only ones I've ever used are the Tommy Kono TK bands.

Sokolsky

• Getbig IV
  • Sensory receptors succumb
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 02:40:07 PM »
I have had various Rehbands, the 7mm are for sure prefered over the 5mm if you're thinking of getting them. SBD sleeves are made for squatting heavy and are more movement restrictive but quite good if your focus is on squats and no other movements. Personally I'm a big fan of kneewraps, not the ones powerlifters use but these: https://www.rogueeurope.eu/hookgrip-russian-knee-wraps?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzOSgy7OJ3gIVR6oYCh2arQcEEAAYASAAEgLHAfD_BwE

I wrap just below the knee and above the knee to just about the mid of the thigh. It doesn't so much add kilo's to your "total" but I like the feeling of having some compression above the knee whilst keeping my bunk patella tendon in place. (chronically inflamed patella tendon developed to being minorly calcified).

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 06:05:48 PM »
I use Rehbands but I'll try the SBD's next time I need new ones.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

DanM

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 07:49:53 PM »
I have a pair of elitefts super heavy duty sleeves and they work great, very supportive and durable. Also for a fraction of the cost of the overpriced SBD/Rehband

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 01:44:53 PM »
Knee sleeves and not one gay joke!

...this place is falling apart :'( what are we,a bunch of liberals?

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 02:34:31 PM »
A

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 07:37:41 PM »
Mark Bell's STRONG knee sleeves.  They are not inexpensive but they are excellent.

Being 56 years old and still competing in the sport of powerlifting my knees LOVE Mark Bell's sleeves.

Howmuchyabench.net.

For real, tell them tommywishbone referred you- they will knock off a few bucks.  
a

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 09:38:07 PM »
Mark Bell's STRONG knee sleeves.  They are not inexpensive but they are excellent.

Being 56 years old and still competing in the sport of powerlifting my knees LOVE Mark Bell's sleeves.

Howmuchyabench.net.

For real, tell them tommywishbone referred you- they will knock off a few bucks.  

Tommy I did look at these, I know plenty of people who love the slingshot and Mark has innovative products.

Are these approved for raw meets? 

Also how do you like the Adidas powerlifters? I just picked up a pair of Nike Romales 3 and I'm blown away by how sweet they are to squat in.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 10:24:49 PM »
Tommy I did look at these, I know plenty of people who love the slingshot and Mark has innovative products.

Are these approved for raw meets?  

Also how do you like the Adidas powerlifters? I just picked up a pair of Nike Romales 3 and I'm blown away by how sweet they are to squat in.
All of Mark Bell's knee sleeves are approved for USPA or IPL or IPF competition, and ALL RAW DIVSIONS.

I've always wore that Adidas shoe and I love it. The Nike Romales are great too.

Mark has decent sales fairly often. Absolutely mention my name tommywishbone- they will help you out.
a

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 10:33:57 PM »
All of Mark Bell's knee sleeves are approved for USPA or IPL or IPF competition.

I've always wore that Adidas shoe and I love it. The Nike Romales are great too.

Mark has decent sales fairly often. Absolutely mention my name tommywishbone- they will help you out.
Will do bro. I loved the YouTube interview you did with the Bells btw.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 11:11:08 PM »
Will do bro. I loved the YouTube interview you did with the Bells btw.

Thank you sir. Appreciated.
a

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 09:29:55 PM »

Just sit on the edge of the bed when giving blowjobs. 

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 11:18:10 PM »

Just sit on the edge of the bed when giving blowjobs. 

I don't stuck off  tall guys bro.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 02:15:33 AM »
Knee sleeves and not one gay joke!

...this place is falling apart :'( what are we,a bunch of liberals?

LOL...

As BB mentioned above, the Rehband 7051 is one of the better choices for general lifting, provided you select the right size for your needs.

I currently use them for warmth and mild compression; more of a preventative measure.
If a "competition fit" is desired for power-lifting, a size smaller is recommended - although, I have never bought and/or used them in this capacity.

According to some veteran lifters I've known over the years, the 7051 style is superior to the other "newer" ones offered from Rehband.

https://www.amazon.com/Rehband-Knee-Sleeve-Large-36-39cm/dp/B0088KPT46/ref=sr_1_2?m=A3GMBSXF8XL5PX&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1539852736&sr=1-2&refinements=p_4%3ARehband

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 11:20:01 AM »

LOL...

As BB mentioned above, the Rehband 7051 is one of the better choices for general lifting, provided you select the right size for your needs.

I currently use them for warmth and mild compression; more of a preventative measure.
If a "competition fit" is desired for power-lifting, a size smaller is recommended - although, I have never bought and/or used them in this capacity.

According to some veteran lifters I've known over the years, the 7051 style is superior to the other "newer" ones offered from Rehband.

https://www.amazon.com/Rehband-Knee-Sleeve-Large-36-39cm/dp/B0088KPT46/ref=sr_1_2?m=A3GMBSXF8XL5PX&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1539852736&sr=1-2&refinements=p_4%3ARehband

Thanks Monty!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 03:46:45 PM »

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 01:26:09 PM »
First wrapping your knees is stupid unless competing in equipped powerlifting comps!! They restrict the natural movement tracking of your patellas and in time will cause more damage to your knees. They also give you a stretch rebound which will help you lift way more than you can without them! Good for the ego, not so good for your actual body!!

I have both the Rehbands and the SBDs and have used them both over the years. Sleeves do not give you the advantage that knee wraps provide and is why they are allowed in RAW powerlifting meets. They will assist you a bit over using nothing at all despite the claims made by many that they only provide compression and "warmth" to the knees.

IMO the SBDs are better than the Rehbands as they are much tighter and cover more of the leg since they are longer. Getting them on and off is a drag but there are several videos on YouTube to show you the trick to getting in and out of them.

These days I prefer using nothing at all when I squat and my knees are healthier than ever!!

my 2 cents

I agree about the issues from compression on the patella. Unless one is a powerlifter who needs some slight advantage, open patella knee sleeves are probably better long-term.

Don't know if anyone here has chondromalacia, but the extra pressure on the kneecap might make it worse?

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 02:12:54 PM »
My faves are the "Bill Peanuts West" model.
Ace bandages wrapped around a tennis ball, positioned behind the leg where the knee bends.

Kidding, yeah, Bell makes the best stuff around, I have his 3 different slingshots, lets you still bench w/ shot-shoulders.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 07:22:18 PM »
I always used a single Ace bandage on both knees.  Worked great and never had any knee problems.