Author Topic: Carb Cycle - Does anyone carb cycle?  (Read 1915 times)

cephissus

• Getbig V
Carb Cycle - Does anyone carb cycle?
« on: October 19, 2018, 08:52:30 PM »
A couple months ago I started a low-carb, high fat diet. At first, I couldn't believe how many good results I had! I got shredded, had better focus, slept better (and less!), had better skin and hair, and felt much less joint pain. At first I was very strict, and even managed to reach low levels of ketosis nearly every time I measured (usually 0.6-0.9 mmol/l).

After a month or so, some of the benefits disappeared. Most importantly, my workouts and especially my runs got harder. Still, all thigns considered, I still considered my new diet to be better than the high-carb diet I had come from, all things considered.

Around the same time, I also loosened the diet a bit, adding nuts, dairy, 85%+ dark chocolate, and low carb (5-10 net) protein bars from time to time. Originally, I had pretty much just been eating meat, eggs, and vegetables. I was less often in ketosis, but not by much.

To see if it would make any difference, I decided to go "mid-carb" for a while, adding in some fruit and higher-carb protein bars. Almost immediately, I had bad hunger, a more watery appearance, and more joint pain. At the same time, my runs and workouts became easier.

I decided to go back to low carb, but got to thinking -- maybe I could have the best of both worlds carb cycling? Most days I have <100g net carbs. I'm thinking, maybe twice a week I have a carb up, say 300g.

I remember Galeniko recommended something like this, except he advised super low-calorie, basically protein only, on the non-carb days. I'm not trying to get in contest condition though, just looking for a better way to eat, long-term. Has anyone tried this sort of diet?

Chidoman

• Getbig IV
  • Me Like'em All!! #Team Kwon All The Way!!
Re: does anyone carb cycle?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:48:52 PM »

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 11:34:42 PM »
If you are “mid carb” then you are not in ketosis. You are either in ketosis or not.

I’ve done ketosis several times and have discovered for me it’s easier and get better results from just doing the meat and veggies. Keep it simple. When I get too fancy with “keto versions” of normal food it just keeps cravings alive and leads to disaster. Also when truly in keto your appetite should be very low.

When in keto imo it’s best to stay in keto, cycling just sounds like a lot of torture. I have had some good results from having one and only one cheat meal once a week. Not a cheat day!

Overall I have a hard time sticking to keto for more than 6 weeks. Especially if you socialize at all. Hats off to people who can do keto for years.

Dave Palumbo actually put out a good YouTube video the last week or so clearing up some of these keto misunderstandings. Check it out if you want.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 11:49:59 PM »

I remember Galeniko recommended something like this, except he advised super low-calorie, basically protein only, on the non-carb days. I'm not trying to get in contest condition though, just looking for a better way to eat, long-term. Has anyone tried this sort of diet?

It's call Vince Gironda diet (1960) , everyone copy Iron Guru writings including Galeniko !.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 08:24:07 AM »
No point in cycling carbs, no point in carbing up, u need more or less on diff days but protein needs are high
A

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 04:12:11 PM »
No point in cycling carbs, no point in carbing up, u need more or less on diff days but protein needs are high

BS, people can live on carbs diet only & grow tall (visit India) or live on protein/fat diet like Eskimos  ;)

8)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 04:14:25 PM »

BS, people can live on carbs diet only & grow tall (visit India) or live on protein/fat diet like Eskimos  ;)

8)
oh shit  :o
A

Randomum

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 06:04:44 PM »
I am no bodybuilder by any means, just a fan of the pageants. But the best i ever looked was when I did carb cycling. I looked like a 2017 Ronnie Coleman (ripped, not huge but decent size). I did 3 days low carb (less than 40g, did cardio on these days, 2 days medium carb (110g, did supersets and circuit training), 2 days high carb (250g, did heavy 3x3 compound movements).

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 06:30:35 PM »
I have found you can get ripped on a high carb diet but you need to calorie count. You can get ripped on a low carb diet and don't need to calorie count.

Negatives for low carb, no calorie counting: hard to keep to if you socialize often, you will drag ass if you do higher intensity endurance sports, you run the risk of kidney stones (I got them twice while on extended low carb diets and never on high to medium carb diets)

Negatives for high carb, calorie counting: Get cravings easily so staying on a restricted calorie diet requires a strong will, need to be sure you get enough protein

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 07:30:32 PM »
I have found you can get ripped on a high carb diet but you need to calorie count. You can get ripped onna low carb diet and dont need to calorie count.

Negatives for low carb, no calorie counting: hard to keep to if you socialize often, you will drag ass if you do higher intensity endurance sports, you run the risk of kidney stones (I got them twice while on extended low carb diets and never on high to medium carb diets)

Negatives for high carb, calorie counting: Get cravings easily so staying on a restricted calorie diet requires a strong will, need to be sure you get enough protein

Agree, consume only natural & unprocessed carbs !.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 08:35:13 PM »
Agree, consume only natural & unprocessed carbs !.
wrong
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 09:07:06 PM »
All “diets” depends on body types and goals. So the questions have to be asked and answered....what are you goals and what is your body type?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »
All “diets” depends on body types and goals. So the questions have to be asked and answered....what are you goals and what is your body type?
want to be ripped and not lose any muscle and eat what i feels, i want to look like garrett giddens
A

Kwon3

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 09:16:11 PM »
standard reply to that question by new gym members:

male: uh, I want like more cut abs, like Brad Pitt in Fight Club? Or like huge arms with veins on them but without steroids?

female: oh, I just want the Kardashian butt and the coffee's free (Planet Fitness) or I want to remove this fat off the sides of my stomach. Are there any exercises for that?

Scat Cavier

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 03:14:44 AM »
yeah high carbs on days using slin and low carb on no slin days.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 04:08:53 AM »
A couple months ago I started a low-carb, high fat diet. At first, I couldn't believe how many good results I had! I got shredded, had better focus, slept better (and less!), had better skin and hair, and felt much less joint pain. At first I was very strict, and even managed to reach low levels of ketosis nearly every time I measured (usually 0.6-0.9 mmol/l).

After a month or so, some of the benefits disappeared. Most importantly, my workouts and especially my runs got harder. Still, all thigns considered, I still considered my new diet to be better than the high-carb diet I had come from, all things considered.

Around the same time, I also loosened the diet a bit, adding nuts, dairy, 85%+ dark chocolate, and low carb (5-10 net) protein bars from time to time. Originally, I had pretty much just been eating meat, eggs, and vegetables. I was less often in ketosis, but not by much.

To see if it would make any difference, I decided to go "mid-carb" for a while, adding in some fruit and higher-carb protein bars. Almost immediately, I had bad hunger, a more watery appearance, and more joint pain. At the same time, my runs and workouts became easier.

I decided to go back to low carb, but got to thinking -- maybe I could have the best of both worlds carb cycling? Most days I have <100g net carbs. I'm thinking, maybe twice a week I have a carb up, say 300g.

https://www.amazon.com/Anabolic-Diet-Mauro-DiPasquale/dp/B0006F61XE

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 04:11:06 AM »
I thought carb-cycle was a Planet Fatness thing. Fat guy on spin bike eating pizza??

???

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 09:07:16 AM »
want to be ripped and not lose any muscle and eat what i feels, i want to look like garrett giddens

I heard he assholed Jamie Eason while eating whatever the hell he wanted. A legend among soyboys and roidpigs

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 10:50:00 PM »
dont carb cycle.... eat carbs 1x per week -aka cheat meal (pizza, or burger, tacos - my fav :)

keto is king - but keep a legit food log for even better results
keep it simple -

I am about 24 eggs + a day