Author Topic: 6 Weeks Post Pec Tear  (Read 15709 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: 6 Weeks Post Pec Tear
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2018, 11:45:15 PM »
No, there is one important difference and the same one I have with you.
I do believe that a certain degree of DOMS is a good thing. But you should never train a muscle that is still in that state of soreness. A sore muscle is still in a state of recovery and to break it down even further is digging yourself into a deeper hole. You have to fill that hole first before you can make it into a hill. You propose to keep training that muscle while it is still in a state of DOMS.

And as John Meadows claims, and as you, yourself, just implied, soreness is not a necessary condition for muscle hypertrophy. I also could never get my biceps sore and when I thought that it was unusual I started asking other trainees if their biceps ever got sore. I've never met anyone who has gotten sore biceps from weight training. But I've met a lot of men with huge biceps.

First of all I have managed to generate DOMS in my biceps several times training on my biceps-supinator machine. I agree that we have to do something extraordinary to stimulate growth.

We all know about DOMS and how we get sore after a layoff or after doing something different like mountain climbing or a severe workout. DOMS was seen as something to avoid. So that is what we did with

beginners. We broke them in gently by prescribing only one or two sets per exercise on the first few workouts. Yes, they avoided DOMS but also missed an opportunity to learn how to grow faster.

You see, Pellius, about 20 years ago I started training my arms hard to see if I could get them bigger than ever before. I was 56 at the time. I got my arms up to about 17 inches cold and there they stayed no matter

how much mechanical tension I applied. Plateau. Then I tried the lying triceps with elbows supported on a special machine I made. The next day my triceps were very sore.  How could this happen after perhaps a

month of hard arm training? But it did more than happen....a light lit up in my brain and I knew I was onto something important for hypertrophy. I was familiar with the principles of Hypertrophy Specific Training that you

find on the internet. Intensity, thresholds, time under tension and so on were applied rigorously in my arm workouts. However, nothing much happened until I did a more effective exercise for my triceps.

When the elbows are near the head in the movement the triceps are stretched. Plus having the elbows on a bench prevented them from moving. There were also adjustable side pads that kept the elbows from going

outwards. So I ask you why should a severely trained muscle get sore just by doing a different exercise? To me it meant I triggered hypertrophy. I was quite confident about this because I could measure the size gains

after each arm workout. For those 10 workouts I gained 1/10 inch each time.

I did a thought experiment here re training while sore. If Brian Haycock was right about frequency then I had to retrain the muscle every 3rd day if not sooner. No additional protein gets synthesized after about 48 hours.

What about our primitive ancestors the cave men? Imagine a brave man encountering a wild animal he was trying to kill. Suppose despite his best efforts he failed at getting that prey. The next day he awoke to a very

sore body. Did that stop him from venturing out again searching for food? Absolutely not. Therefore I concluded that we must be able to function near maximum even though sore. I also had to find a way to prevent the

dreaded repeated bout effect. What exercise scientists found was that the effect of compensation would persist for some time even up to a month. If you repeated the same stimulus nothing further would happen re

hypertrophy or strength. You had to once more do something extraordinary to stimulate more improvement. It was easy to conclude that training every third day prevented the repeated bout effect and kept the sore

muscle in a state of perpetual growth. Sort of like rolling a heavy machine tire down the road. It is much easier to keep it rolling than stopping and starting. I did exactly this for one month 20 years ago and gained an

inch on my arms and calves. I was so excited I actually looked forward to each workout. What amazed me was that my strength in the exercises increased very quickly and kept increasing over the month.

I ended up stopping the experiment because I foolishly did ballistic bouncing for very heavy heel raises and damaged my Achilles tendons. Also, I had my elbows on the bench as prescribed by Larry Scott and ended

up damaging my connective sheath over the elbows. Nowadays I keep the elbows clear of pads and no damage occurs.

I still train my arms once a week. Had I more motivation I would try every 3rd day. The truth is the workouts are so brutal that I keep putting them off. Not at all something pleasant to look forward to.

One of the keys to my method is to select effective exercises then warm up with several high rep sets then when you are down to a weight you can lift for 15 reps you stay on that resistance for 5 or more additional sets.

What happens after 2 to 3 maximum sets is that the reps decrease. If you start with 15 then you can still do more than 8 reps after the 5th set. I rest perhaps 3 or more minutes after each superset.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2018, 11:49:23 PM »
You don’t recognize anyone so it’s no wonder why you wouldn’t know Schoenfeld. Here, dispute this

https://www.unm.edu/~lkravitz/Article%20folder/musclesgrowLK.html

Len Kravitz, Ph.D doesn't demonstrate that he knows much about maximum muscular hypertrophy.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2018, 12:04:50 AM »

Len Kravitz, Ph.D doesn't demonstrate that he knows much about maximum muscular hypertrophy.

I’m done with this clown. He’s trolling and if he isn’t he has nothing to show for it. Not him or anyone he’s trained or published papers. Your stars should be revoked, as a matter of fact I’m going to petition to have them removed just so we can hear you bitch how you deserve them back. You’ve done nothing to warrant having them.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2018, 02:42:42 AM »
I’m done with this clown. He’s trolling and if he isn’t he has nothing to show for it. Not him or anyone he’s trained or published papers. Your stars should be revoked, as a matter of fact I’m going to petition to have them removed just so we can hear you bitch how you deserve them back. You’ve done nothing to warrant having them.

No! Not the stars! You're going right for the stars.

You are not a man to trifle with.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2018, 02:55:03 AM »

First of all I have managed to generate DOMS in my biceps several times training on my biceps-supinator machine. I agree that we have to do something extraordinary to stimulate growth.

We all know about DOMS and how we get sore after a layoff or after doing something different like mountain climbing or a severe workout. DOMS was seen as something to avoid. So that is what we did with

beginners. We broke them in gently by prescribing only one or two sets per exercise on the first few workouts. Yes, they avoided DOMS but also missed an opportunity to learn how to grow faster.

You see, Pellius, about 20 years ago I started training my arms hard to see if I could get them bigger than ever before. I was 56 at the time. I got my arms up to about 17 inches cold and there they stayed no matter

how much mechanical tension I applied. Plateau. Then I tried the lying triceps with elbows supported on a special machine I made. The next day my triceps were very sore.  How could this happen after perhaps a

month of hard arm training? But it did more than happen....a light lit up in my brain and I knew I was onto something important for hypertrophy. I was familiar with the principles of Hypertrophy Specific Training that you

find on the internet. Intensity, thresholds, time under tension and so on were applied rigorously in my arm workouts. However, nothing much happened until I did a more effective exercise for my triceps.

When the elbows are near the head in the movement the triceps are stretched. Plus having the elbows on a bench prevented them from moving. There were also adjustable side pads that kept the elbows from going

outwards. So I ask you why should a severely trained muscle get sore just by doing a different exercise? To me it meant I triggered hypertrophy. I was quite confident about this because I could measure the size gains

after each arm workout. For those 10 workouts I gained 1/10 inch each time.

I did a thought experiment here re training while sore. If Brian Haycock was right about frequency then I had to retrain the muscle every 3rd day if not sooner. No additional protein gets synthesized after about 48 hours.

What about our primitive ancestors the cave men? Imagine a brave man encountering a wild animal he was trying to kill. Suppose despite his best efforts he failed at getting that prey. The next day he awoke to a very

sore body. Did that stop him from venturing out again searching for food? Absolutely not. Therefore I concluded that we must be able to function near maximum even though sore. I also had to find a way to prevent the

dreaded repeated bout effect. What exercise scientists found was that the effect of compensation would persist for some time even up to a month. If you repeated the same stimulus nothing further would happen re

hypertrophy or strength. You had to once more do something extraordinary to stimulate more improvement. It was easy to conclude that training every third day prevented the repeated bout effect and kept the sore

muscle in a state of perpetual growth. Sort of like rolling a heavy machine tire down the road. It is much easier to keep it rolling than stopping and starting. I did exactly this for one month 20 years ago and gained an

inch on my arms and calves. I was so excited I actually looked forward to each workout. What amazed me was that my strength in the exercises increased very quickly and kept increasing over the month.

I ended up stopping the experiment because I foolishly did ballistic bouncing for very heavy heel raises and damaged my Achilles tendons. Also, I had my elbows on the bench as prescribed by Larry Scott and ended

up damaging my connective sheath over the elbows. Nowadays I keep the elbows clear of pads and no damage occurs.

I still train my arms once a week. Had I more motivation I would try every 3rd day. The truth is the workouts are so brutal that I keep putting them off. Not at all something pleasant to look forward to.

One of the keys to my method is to select effective exercises then warm up with several high rep sets then when you are down to a weight you can lift for 15 reps you stay on that resistance for 5 or more additional sets.

What happens after 2 to 3 maximum sets is that the reps decrease. If you start with 15 then you can still do more than 8 reps after the 5th set. I rest perhaps 3 or more minutes after each superset.

We've gone through your caveman analogy many times and my response is still the same. Just because the caveman has to continue the hunt the next day because of the previous day's failure does not mean he is "growing" or improving. In fact, after each day he fails his ability to hunt the next day decreases.

There was a PBS documentary on cheetahs and how they are becoming extinct. They expend so much energy bringing down a prey that each time they fail their chances of success begins to decrease as their physical ability declines. They get weaker not only from the energy expended hunting but also not getting adequate recovery due to lack of nutrients. A cheetah gets three maybe four shots at a kill before he can no longer hunt and will die of due to physical weakness and wasting away.

So like our caveman. Each time he fails he gets progressively weaker and less able physically to perform the physical demands hunting entails.

I also find that muscles are more apt to get sore when a muscle is worked in a range of motion so that there is a strong stretch on the muscle. Triceps worked in the manner you described permits a very intense stretch on that muscle than, say, the typical tricep push down. Overhead pulldowns with a narrow grip will more likely elicit lat soreness than, say, bent over rows.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2018, 04:08:05 AM »
Pellius you are the only person here who is worth discussing things with. No point continuing if you have nothing to learn or gain.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2018, 04:27:54 AM »
Lol, holy fucking shit. There is so much “TL:DR” in this thread it’s not even funny. What is going on, what are y’all babbling about?  :D

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2018, 05:08:56 AM »
Lol, holy fucking shit. There is so much “TL:DR” in this thread it’s not even funny. What is going on, what are y’all babbling about?  :D

Vince Basil’s is blabbing on about maximum hypertrophy and getting owned in the process.
X

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2018, 07:45:52 AM »
Vince Basil’s is blabbing on about maximum hypertrophic and getting owned in the process.

good observation sf, what vince needs to do is make it simple like " if you want to get huger do test and eat more and do even more drugs"

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »
Disgraceful reply proving you know nothing special about hypertrophy.

Pipe down. You do not know anything. Despite not knowing about your theory, I still achieve results as a lifetime natural. You're making it too complicated to make yourself seem important because you're jealous of Arnold. It's not complicated. It's lifting weights. No special hypertrophy theory. No dumb bicep supination machines. Just a balanced diet and lifting weights.

X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2018, 08:45:01 AM »
good observation sf, what vince needs to do is make it simple like " if you want to get huger do test and eat more and do even more drugs"

Great point, OSF. Basile is trying to make it seem more complicated because he's jealous of Arnold.
X

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2018, 08:47:59 AM »
No! Not the stars! You're going right for the stars.

You are not a man to trifle with.

Seems like there should be some sort of statute of limitations. Vince hasn’t been in shape since the 1970s.🤔

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2018, 08:58:15 AM »
X

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: November 25, 2018, 09:53:20 AM »
Vince’s mythical theory of hypertrophy actually refers to hypertrophy of the adipose tissue, an endeavour in which he has had a tremendous amount of success. 

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2018, 09:54:15 AM »
Vince’s mythical theory of hypertrophy actually refers to hypertrophy of the adipose tissue, an endeavour in which he has had a tremendous amount of success. 

;D ;D ;D
X

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2018, 06:57:30 AM »
Pipe down. You do not know anything. Despite not knowing about your theory, I still achieve results as a lifetime natural. You're making it too complicated to make yourself seem important because you're jealous of Arnold. It's not complicated. It's lifting weights. No special hypertrophy theory. No dumb bicep supination machines. Just a balanced diet and lifting weights.

8) 8)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2018, 06:50:45 PM »
I don't know if it's genetic or just a life time of training but I rarely get sore anymore from running or lifting. Don't get me wrong. I get slightly sore but nothing of note.

On a side note anyone that takes steroids should be disqualified from giving training advice. If you look like crap off steroids then what good does your training knowledge do for you or anyone else? Been around this game long enough to see guys on juice look good giving out advice but when off cycle for any long period like a couple of months look like they never trained a day in their life.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2018, 06:53:40 PM »
I don't know if it's genetic or just a life time of training but I rarely get sore anymore from running or lifting. Don't get me wrong. I get slightly sore but nothing of note.

On a side note anyone that takes steroids should be disqualified from giving training advice. If you look like crap off steroids then what good does your training knowledge do for you or anyone else? Been around this game long enough to see guys on juice look good giving out advice but when off cycle for any long period like a couple of months look like they never trained a day in their life.

Oh really? Something tells me you don’t know enough about either to comment on it and if you do, can you elaborate?

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2018, 07:27:46 PM »
Oh really? Something tells me you don’t know enough about either to comment on it and if you do, can you elaborate?

To be honest Coach, it’s like an ex-professional bicycle racer I know who gives advice on training to drug free cyclists. He was caught using EPO and HGH during his career and had to retire. I take his advice with a grain of salt since he was just an average athlete till he went on the gas.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2018, 07:54:00 PM »
To be honest Coach, it’s like an ex-professional bicycle racer I know who gives advice on training to drug free cyclists. He was caught using EPO and HGH during his career and had to retire. I take his advice with a grain of salt since he was just an average athlete till he went on the gas.

But here’s the thing about that. Training athletes is not like training for bodybuilding, it’s apples and oranges. I can train football players (or power athletes in general) to be stronger and faster than an enhanced athlete. Just because someone is on gear doesn’t mean automatic success. You have to know how to train.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2018, 10:45:31 AM »

Titus Pullo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2018, 02:37:19 PM »

I don't recognize Brad Schoenfeld, PhD as an expert in maximum muscular hypertrophy. Period. His methods won't lead to maximum hypertrophy.

Vince, you are plenty smart enough to know that's illogical.  You are "begging the question," wherein your premises and conclusion are simply stating the same thing in only very vaguely different words.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2018, 09:35:34 PM »
Week 8

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq_gYTZCxrS/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1k7bhn1k0h88k

Damn, you move those like it was nothing. I can't even clean that weight let alone press it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2018, 05:08:10 AM »

Yes, I can run a hard 5 mile run faster than you could ever dream about or do 100 meter repeats and I don't get sore the next day. Same with lifting. Could be a genetic trait or just a life time of training. I get mild soreness but nothing like I hear the majority complain about.

Regarding steroids you know what you would look like 6 months truly clean.  Tired of steroid users acting like they are training gurus when they they look like crap without the assist. All your fancy terms that you retrieve in folders on your lap top to sound like a PhD in exercise physiology taken from the bs personal trainer books do not impress me.

Going to be point blank with complete candor here. I use to correspond with Casey Viator. He told me how his blood tests come back great. I told him there is more to health than blood tests. Shortly after he was dead.  You had a first class warning about your life style and genetic traits with your stroke warning but your ego tells you that you know everything about steroids, health and training. Want some real advice. Your heart is the most important muscle. Your health doesn't care about your bench. Your health does care about if you have a good VO2. No, it's not a cure all. Nothing is.  Get off steroids and pay attention to cardio as much as you do lifting weights. I could be dead today from a heart attack but I try to put the odds in my favor.