Author Topic: Earning $117,000 is low income in the Bay Area  (Read 11570 times)

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
Re: Earning $117,000 is low income in the Bay Area
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2018, 04:18:31 AM »

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 04:49:50 AM »
It's amazing how much open land there is in America where you can live dirt cheap and yet people choose to toil their lives away working 40-80 hours a week so they can live in a "cool" place.

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2018, 05:51:26 AM »
Yep
Don’t think 2008 had much affect on property value in the bay
Your wrong it all dropped to 2000 2001 prices and stayed there for 5 years now this bubbles way bigger than the last ;D

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2018, 06:50:32 AM »
I've been telling friends for a long time that in places like New York City and major cities of California, for a married couple with no kids, a working yearly household income should be around $250k just to live with respectable standards. If you want to live well, you need to bring in around $500k/year and in order to live incredibly comfortable, aim for about $750k/year.

Remember, this is just assuming it's 2 people living together. Add kids to it and it changes drastically.

"1"

If I was making 500k a year, I still wouldn't live in New York.   New York sucks dick....stepping over piss and vomit everyday, no fucking grocery stores, high rent, high electricity, plenty of rats, piece of shit subway system, no sunlight, foul odors, etc.   Worse of all is the fucking pizza.   Everyone brags about the pizza but when I finally got some, it tasted like shit....had no toppings on it and you had to fold it.   The square pizzas I got from school were better than that shit.  

Every New Yorker I've ran into basically keep stop talking about how great it is....as if its the center of the fucking universe.   Sorry but I like clean air, a reasonable mortgage, open sky, a yard and garden, and pizza that doesn't taste like cat piss.  
A

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2018, 07:48:42 AM »

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2018, 08:06:53 AM »
there are many train operators in new york city making 117k or more, well, that's with 10yrs of experience and life ain't all that here either.....as of October 1, 2018, the average salary of a NYPD cop stands at $73,831 per year.....in San Francisco, the average salary for cops stands at $83,018 per year and it may go up to 115k after 8yrs of service with overtime and all......

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2018, 08:35:02 AM »

If I was making 500k a year, I still wouldn't live in New York.   New York sucks dick....stepping over piss and vomit everyday, no fucking grocery stores, high rent, high electricity, plenty of rats, piece of shit subway system, no sunlight, foul odors, etc.   Worse of all is the fucking pizza.   Everyone brags about the pizza but when I finally got some, it tasted like shit....had no toppings on it and you had to fold it.   The square pizzas I got from school were better than that shit.  

Every New Yorker I've ran into basically keep stop talking about how great it is....as if its the center of the fucking universe.   Sorry but I like clean air, a reasonable mortgage, open sky, a yard and garden, and pizza that doesn't taste like cat piss.  

I can concede that New York is not what it used to be. Every day, when walking through midtown Manhattan, I am reminded of how overpopulated the city has become. Back in the 80's & 90's, it was just right. Of course it was heavily populated then, but you did have some room to make it through the streets. Today, it seems as if it's difficult to just walk down a couple of city blocks without having to bump or scrape your sides against another human being. It is very polluted, both the streets and the air. You can't make it past a few city blocks without seeing a street vendor empty out a mystery can filled with dirty water littered with all sorts of food & drink debris. You would be amazed at how much animal & human fecal matter you would find if only you walked while looking down towards the ground. The subways, don't get me started. They're delayed at all times, filled with the homeless and so overcrowded that you'd be lucky to catch a train to whatever destination you're going to. And forget about trying to find a star at night. It's been years since I've managed to count more than 5-10 stars in the sky on any given night while living in New York City. Not to mention that the cost of living is way too high for the average person.

All the bad things aside, NYC still beats everyone hands down when it comes to food variety. No other city I've visited has as many options. New York is open 24 hours and no matter what the time, you can find an endless number of people parading through the street. It is incredibly diverse, I meet people from all walks of life every day just by walking through Washington Square Park in the Village by NYU. The city is electric in that it has its own character/personality. Yes, most New York'ers are assholes, but somehow they make it work on a daily basis. Granted with the overpopulation comes a generous amount of crime and we are the epicenter for terrorist attacks, but I'd be damned if we ever ran in the face of adversity. In order to love and appreciate it, you truly would have had to grow up in NYC. That's not to say that sometimes I don't have a need to escape from the NYC bubble. Heck, I have a home down in Fort Lauderdale for that very purpose. Sometimes, it's important to run away to a place that's closer to the ocean, with warm/tropical weather and a slower pace of living with a fraction of the population. I call those getaways a time to recharge and unclench the old jaw.

But hey, that's just one old Jew's opinion of NYC. I have so many friends from all walks of life here that it would be hard to start over elsewhere.

Not to mention the kind of characters that spawn from NYC:

Jimmy the Greek - my building's superintendent who is slow on getting things fixed, but the fastest of all the building's employees to extend the hand once the holidays arrive in search of a plump white envelope.

Ramon - The man that tends to the flowers for sale, that sit in front of the nearest grocery store. Ramon doesn't say much and has a habit of always going into the grocery store at the site of law enforcement, but he does have the warmest smile and is the first to help the elderly with their groceries.

The homeless at Washington Square Park that are master chess players - Ever want the best stories NYC has to offer? Sit in for a game with these masters.

The hookers/prostitutes that roam the streets of Hell's Kitchen (9th avenue towards Hudson River) past 2am - Ever want to be taken on a voyage to a place that you doubt even existed? Offer one of these ladies of the night $40 to sit with you at a local 24-hr diner for some coffee and ask them to tell you why they've chosen this lifestyle. Sit back and hold on to your junk, it's fucking amazing the things you'll hear, plus if you're not keen on listening to a prostitute ramble, they'll probably suck your dick for an extra $10.

The many IFBB pros that live in NYC - People forget that while we are only aware/exposed to 10-20 of the most popular IFBB pros, there are hundreds of them walking around with IFBB pro cards. Many of them work a regular job. Others work as strippers and male hookers. The vast majority of them can be found in select gyms and if you're like me, you enjoy working out with these guys. Most are great at showing you new exercise routines and at small talk. That said, it doesn't come for free. They're struggling, so a few extra dollars will go a long way.

There are many more characters that I can talk about, but you get the point. Every day, I interact with so many colorful people from all walks of life and from all parts of the world. Whenever I visit other states, I don't have the pleasure of doing this.

"1"

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2018, 08:53:56 AM »

The nice part is you'll never see a fraction of $500k a year so you do not need to worry about living in NYC. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2018, 08:55:53 AM »
One thing is indisputable one more rep. NYC is the most exciting city on earth. The food alone has no comparison. I feel sorry for people in other states that are clueless about food. Ever try to get a pizza or a simple thing like a bagel in a state like Kansas? Never mind something like fine Italian or Portuguese. People think chain fast food pizzerias and Olive Garden is great food. Any ethic food you want can be found by the genuine people.  The bars, clubs and venues for entertainment has no peer.  

The city gets better or worse according to who's mayor. Do you remember how hellish it was when guys like Dinkens was mayor? Homeless people every where. Times square was a sewer. Mayor Giuliani came along and told the cops to enforce every law. The place cleaned up quick. Now with this current clown DeBlasio everything from Dinkins is coming back. He cites a reduction in crime but it's partially creative stat keeping and nothing to do with any policy by him. He cited a reduction in assaults in the schools and when the NY Post looked into it they left off the stats misdemeanor assaults like punches. Resulted in instant reduction.

I live in Jersey but I lived my first 27 years growing up on the other side of the Lincoln tunnel so I spent many a day in Manhattan.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2018, 09:08:10 AM »
I can concede that New York is not what it used to be. Every day, when walking through midtown Manhattan, I am reminded of how overpopulated the city has become. Back in the 80's & 90's, it was just right. Of course it was heavily populated then, but you did have some room to make it through the streets. Today, it seems as if it's difficult to just walk down a couple of city blocks without having to bump or scrape your sides against another human being. It is very polluted, both the streets and the air. You can't make it past a few city blocks without seeing a street vendor empty out a mystery can filled with dirty water littered with all sorts of food & drink debris. You would be amazed at how much animal & human fecal matter you would find if only you walked while looking down towards the ground. The subways, don't get me started. They're delayed at all times, filled with the homeless and so overcrowded that you'd be lucky to catch a train to whatever destination you're going to. And forget about trying to find a star at night. It's been years since I've managed to count more than 5-10 stars in the sky on any given night while living in New York City. Not to mention that the cost of living is way too high for the average person.

All the bad things aside, NYC still beats everyone hands down when it comes to food variety. No other city I've visited has as many options. New York is open 24 hours and no matter what the time, you can find an endless number of people parading through the street. It is incredibly diverse, I meet people from all walks of life every day just by walking through Washington Square Park in the Village by NYU. The city is electric in that it has its own character/personality. Yes, most New York'ers are assholes, but somehow they make it work on a daily basis. Granted with the overpopulation comes a generous amount of crime and we are the epicenter for terrorist attacks, but I'd be damned if we ever ran in the face of adversity. In order to love and appreciate it, you truly would have had to grow up in NYC. That's not to say that sometimes I don't have a need to escape from the NYC bubble. Heck, I have a home down in Fort Lauderdale for that very purpose. Sometimes, it's important to run away to a place that's closer to the ocean, with warm/tropical weather and a slower pace of living with a fraction of the population. I call those getaways a time to recharge and unclench the old jaw.

But hey, that's just one old Jew's opinion of NYC. I have so many friends from all walks of life here that it would be hard to start over elsewhere.

Not to mention the kind of characters that spawn from NYC:

Jimmy the Greek - my building's superintendent who is slow on getting things fixed, but the fastest of all the building's employees to extend the hand once the holidays arrive in search of a plump white envelope.

Ramon - The man that tends to the flowers for sale, that sit in front of the nearest grocery store. Ramon doesn't say much and has a habit of always going into the grocery store at the site of law enforcement, but he does have the warmest smile and is the first to help the elderly with their groceries.

The homeless at Washington Square Park that are master chess players - Ever want the best stories NYC has to offer? Sit in for a game with these masters.

The hookers/prostitutes that roam the streets of Hell's Kitchen (9th avenue towards Hudson River) past 2am - Ever want to be taken on a voyage to a place that you doubt even existed? Offer one of these ladies of the night $40 to sit with you at a local 24-hr diner for some coffee and ask them to tell you why they've chosen this lifestyle. Sit back and hold on to your junk, it's fucking amazing the things you'll hear, plus if you're not keen on listening to a prostitute ramble, they'll probably suck your dick for an extra $10.

The many IFBB pros that live in NYC - People forget that while we are only aware/exposed to 10-20 of the most popular IFBB pros, there are hundreds of them walking around with IFBB pro cards. Many of them work a regular job. Others work as strippers and male hookers. The vast majority of them can be found in select gyms and if you're like me, you enjoy working out with these guys. Most are great at showing you new exercise routines and at small talk. That said, it doesn't come for free. They're struggling, so a few extra dollars will go a long way.

There are many more characters that I can talk about, but you get the point. Every day, I interact with so many colorful people from all walks of life and from all parts of the world. Whenever I visit other states, I don't have the pleasure of doing this.

"1"

How do you need to justify NYC?? I travel there every other week from Toronto for work and I can't say enough about it. I've really been enjoying Central Park lately.  I've typically just walked or driven by it.  Lately I've walked and run even take my lunch there, super cool.  To have that big of a park in the middle of a city like that is awesome. Christmas in that city is great too, they go all out on decorations.  Food wise, I can't think of a city with better food. Opportunity wise, it's endless.  If you can't make high 6 figs in NYC you're pobably brain dead. Sports teams galore, I try and hit or two of every month (of all sports). Transit system is great albeit my prefferred means to get around there is walking.  List goes on.

Vince mentioned lack of grocery stores, but this is not true at all. Even if you like whole foods, they are everywhere.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2018, 10:40:50 AM »
Seems there are a lot of wealthy people here with a very high standard of living. America is the richest country in the world with one of the highest standard of living yet the average household income is just over 50 grand. Making 100 grand puts you in the top 20% of income owners in the richest country in the world.

What a blessed group we are to sneeze at the rest of the unwashed masses who have to suffer making less than a 100 grand a year.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »
How do you need to justify NYC?? I travel there every other week from Toronto for work and I can't say enough about it. I've really been enjoying Central Park lately.  I've typically just walked or driven by it.  Lately I've walked and run even take my lunch there, super cool.  To have that big of a park in the middle of a city like that is awesome. Christmas in that city is great too, they go all out on decorations.  Food wise, I can't think of a city with better food. Opportunity wise, it's endless.  If you can't make high 6 figs in NYC you're pobably brain dead. Sports teams galore, I try and hit or two of every month (of all sports). Transit system is great albeit my prefferred means to get around there is walking.  List goes on.

Vince mentioned lack of grocery stores, but this is not true at all. Even if you like whole foods, they are everywhere.

You have wait an hour and a half in get in...fuck that
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2018, 11:16:48 AM »
One thing is indisputable one more rep. NYC is the most exciting city on earth. The food alone has no comparison. I feel sorry for people in other states that are clueless about food. Ever try to get a pizza or a simple thing like a bagel in a state like Kansas? Never mind something like fine Italian or Portuguese. People think chain fast food pizzerias and Olive Garden is great food. Any ethic food you want can be found by the genuine people.  The bars, clubs and venues for entertainment has no peer.  

The city gets better or worse according to who's mayor. Do you remember how hellish it was when guys like Dinkens was mayor? Homeless people every where. Times square was a sewer. Mayor Giuliani came along and told the cops to enforce every law. The place cleaned up quick. Now with this current clown DeBlasio everything from Dinkins is coming back. He cites a reduction in crime but it's partially creative stat keeping and nothing to do with any policy by him. He cited a reduction in assaults in the schools and when the NY Post looked into it they left off the stats misdemeanor assaults like punches. Resulted in instant reduction.

I live in Jersey but I lived my first 27 years growing up on the other side of the Lincoln tunnel so I spent many a day in Manhattan.

Give me a fucking break....ethnic food???  I live in Greenville, SC and I can get authentic Italian, Indian, Jamacian, Afghan, Irish, British, African, Australian, and any other food around here easily.....just another example of New York bullshit claims that are not reality
A

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2018, 11:19:34 AM »

Give me a fucking break....ethnic food???  I live in Greenville, SC and I can get authentic Italian, Indian, Jamacian, Afghan, Irish, British, African, Australian, and any other food around here easily.....just another example of New York bullshit claims that are not reality

Yes, you can get that food anywhere. The difference is, is that its not as good.

For example, the italian food in Vermont and New Hampshire is horrible.
X

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2018, 11:30:44 AM »

so smug...

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2018, 11:33:21 AM »

There's good and bad to everything. New York City is an acquired taste. Depends on the pace with which you live your life. I can see someone that moves to New York after living their life since birth within a rural area having a hard time assimilating to New York City. The many amenities that it comes with is a luxury at times, but the fact that everyone and their mother is reaching out for the same fruit can make it difficult at times to find moments of peace.

I'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying yourself when in New York City.

"1"

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »

Right on all counts my friend!

"1"

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »
It's amazing how much open land there is in America where you can live dirt cheap and yet people choose to toil their lives away working 40-80 hours a week so they can live in a "cool" place.

For many people it's more like the other way around. Many if not most well paying jobs are in major cities, such as New York City, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Unless you want to spend half your lifetime commuting, you live within reasonable distance from your workplace.

In general, the total cost of living in San Francisco is 62.6% higher than the US average.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2018, 12:22:07 PM »
I find a town of 2000 people too crowded for my tastes. Too many fucking people everywhere. Need a good plague or war to 'thin the herd'.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2018, 12:40:35 PM »

Not to be disrespectful to those from NYC or those who moved there, but you always reference food. Americans eat too much as it is.
And if you want food that sticks to your ribs, you come to the south. You work, and then you get stuffed. I am not paying X amount for some new “gourmet ribs”, when I have family down south that can make ribs that’ll make you smack your mother and swear at your father.
Personally, I want clean air, clean subways, clean streets, and space. Go to upstate New York and just breathe the air, look around you. Peace, nature, tranquility. You can here yourself think. Slowness of pace. Land. That’s what really matters. Not pizzas and bars. I am not saying that these are not important—-they are for people who think that they “have to be in XYZ spot”.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2018, 12:53:15 PM »
Not to be disrespectful to those from NYC or those who moved there, but you always reference food. Americans eat too much as it is.
And if you want food that sticks to your ribs, you come to the south. You work, and then you get stuffed. I am not paying X amount for some new “gourmet ribs”, when I have family down south that can make ribs that’ll make you smack your mother and swear at your father.
Personally, I want clean air, clean subways, clean streets, and space. Go to upstate New York and just breathe the air, look around you. Peace, nature, tranquility. You can here yourself think. Slowness of pace. Land. That’s what really matters. Not pizzas and bars. I am not saying that these are not important—-they are for people who think that they “have to be in XYZ spot”.

Park park, whereabouts in the south?

"1"

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2018, 12:58:47 PM »
Park park, whereabouts in the south?

"1"
NC, SC, AL, VA, TN

Here, let make your mouth water for some BBQ, that only the South can do, because you can’t do this in a crowded city, and it takes a long time.
[ Invalid YouTube link ][/youtube]

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »
Yes, you can get that food anywhere. The difference is, is that its not as good.

For example, the italian food in Vermont and New Hampshire is horrible.

Fuck those places too....in any event, why do I give a shit about ethnic foods and diversity???   I'm an American and as long as I can get a cheeseburger, fries, and cold beer...its good enough for me.  I dont eat Jamacian because it's all goats and jerk chicken much less Arab food because I dont want to get blown up.  Honestly I can live without ethnic foods
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »
Here is what 800 bucks a month gets you in Greenville SC. 

A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2018, 01:12:57 PM »
And my current place with a 561 dollar a month mortgage and insurance.

A