Author Topic: Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 855 With 5G Modem  (Read 3412 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 855 With 5G Modem
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:37:06 AM »
iPhone Who? Snapdragon 855 Could Be Faster Than Apple's A12 CPU
by Lucian Armasu

At the Snapdragon Tech Summit 2018, Qualcomm announced the company’s first 7nm mobile processor, the Snapdragon 855. The company touts huge performance increases that could even allow it to overtake the Apple A12 Bionic..

Together with a new Kryo CPU core (likely based on Cortex-A76), the chip is expected to see an increase in performance of 45% over the CPU found in the Snapdragon 845.

That means the A12 Bionic is roughly 28% faster than the Snapdragon 845. Therefore, in theory, the Snapdragon 855 could be quite a bit faster than the A12 Bionic, but that remains to be seen when devices with it ship in the first half of 2019.

The GPU promises a performance boost of 20% over Qualcomm’s current offering, too.

Earlier this year, Qualcomm announced the world’s first 5G modem, the X50, which is supposed to increase download speeds by up to 20x over what most mobile users currently experience. However, it seems like this modem may not be integrated into the Snapdragon 855 mobile platform. It will come as a separated modem that manufacturers will have to buy and integrate into their devices. The Snapdragon 855 platform will come with a Cat-20 4G modem offering up to 2Gbps download speeds, called the X24.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/qualcomm-snapdragon-855-announcement-features,38196.html

- Live Multi-Player Gaming over mobile connections
- Capturing 4K HDR Video
- Professional Video Editing capabilities
- Augmented Reality Shopping or Meal Recommendations
- Multi-Language Video Chat with Real-Time Voice Translation
- 3 times the AI performance of the S845 model

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Re: Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 855 With 5G Modem
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 11:53:11 AM »
List of smartphone companies that will use the Snapdragon 855 in their flagship phones:

- Samsung
- Sony
- LG
- Motorola
- Google
- Xiaomi
- Oppo
- Vivo
- Asus
- HTC
- ZTE
- Sharp
- One Plus

And more.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
OP sells phones in a mall kisok?

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:20:27 PM »
Gary Explains the Snapdragon 855.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 01:21:37 PM »
OP sells phones in a mall kisok?

That's true.  I meet SF1900 and Shizzo at the food court for lunch.  I usually get the orange chicken from Panda Express.  We all work at the same mall.  :D

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »
Jeeze, technology moves so fast. I have the 835 chip on my Pixel 2 and it just flies.
Even a friend of mine who has a Samsung S7 was using my phone to bring up a website remarked about how fast my phone was. And they keep talking about improving the camera when I think the one on my Pixel is outrageously good. 

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 05:51:15 PM »
That's true.  I meet SF1900 and Shizzo at the food court for lunch.  I usually get the orange chicken from Panda Express.  We all work at the same mall.  :D

Yes, we did. I was on my break from working at the Cinnabon store.
X

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 10:14:50 PM »
Jeeze, technology moves so fast. I have the 835 chip on my Pixel 2 and it just flies.
Even a friend of mine who has a Samsung S7 was using my phone to bring up a website remarked about how fast my phone was. And they keep talking about improving the camera when I think the one on my Pixel is outrageously good. 

You're right Pellius, no sector of technology is moving as fast as smartphone chips.  Intel uses a model called Tick Tock for building processors.  Every "tick" represented a shrinking of the process technology of the previous microarchitecture and every "tock" designated a new microarchitecture.  So you get a new process technology and new microarchitecture roughly every three years.  Arm, Qualcomm, and TSMC are accomplishing a new process technology and a new microarchitecture every year because they divide all the steps among thee companies instead of just one.  The result is blistering speed that is truly astounding.

kcb5150

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 10:26:22 PM »
Every initial offering with a new faster radio standard the battery life always completely sucks cock without fail.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 11:23:28 PM »
You're right Pellius, no sector of technology is moving as fast as smartphone chips.  Intel uses a model called Tick Tock for building processors.  Every "tick" represented a shrinking of the process technology of the previous microarchitecture and every "tock" designated a new microarchitecture.  So you get a new process technology and new microarchitecture roughly every three years.  Arm, Qualcomm, and TSMC are accomplishing a new process technology and a new microarchitecture every year because they divide all the steps among thee companies instead of just one.  The result is blistering speed that is truly astounding.

So, would it be safe to say that this time next year all the flagship phones will have the Snapdragon 855 and be 5G compatible?

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 12:11:55 AM »
So, would it be safe to say that this time next year all the flagship phones will have the Snapdragon 855 and be 5G compatible?

Yes, it would be safe to say this time next year all the flagships will have the Snapdragon 855.  Qualcomm always announces their new processors in December at an annual summit in Hawaii.  It took Samsung until August this year to launch their phone with the 845, but I think most of the other companies are quicker.

5G is an option they may not choose, but the standard X24 modem allows for 2 Gbps, which is faster than Google Fiber.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 01:11:41 AM »
Yes, we did. I was on my break from working at the Cinnabon store.

Ill meet you guys tomorrow, I had the day off from my job at Footlocker, I had to wash my referee shirt they make us wear...

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 06:08:28 PM »
Every initial offering with a new faster radio standard the battery life always completely sucks cock without fail.

This has, and always will be, an issue. But there are so many easy access to outlets that its never been an issue for me. My car charger usually takes care of power supply but I also keep a pocket size portable charger with me. Phones charges so quick now that I get a 30% bump on just  15 minutes of charge.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 09:04:54 AM »
Ill meet you guys tomorrow, I had the day off from my job at Footlocker, I had to wash my referee shirt they make us wear...

Okay, 12:30 in front of the Orange Julius.  I might be a little late, the Kiosk's busy this time of year.  :)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »
Qualcomm’s ‘Extreme’ Snapdragon 8cx CPU Could Power Your Next Laptop

By Ryan Whitwam

It has the same octa-core design with four high-performance cores based on the Cortex A76 and four low-power cores based on the A55. That’s really the end of the similarities, though.

Qualcomm has cranked the clock speed of all of its “Kryo 495” cores way up in the Snapdragon 8cx, but it won’t say exactly how high. The chip has 10MB of cache between L2 and L3 — the 855 only has 3MB. That makes the Snapdragon 8cx better at running heavy apps, and there’s support for up to 16GB of system memory. You can also check the boxes for NVMe and UFS3.0 storage.

There’s also a new Adreno 680 Extreme GPU in the Snapdragon 8cx, but Qualcomm keeps a lot of its Adreno specs secret. What we do know is it’s fast. The 680 Extreme is twice as fast as the new GPU in the Snapdragon 855 thanks to twice the transistors and twice the memory bandwidth. You can connect two 4K monitors to a Snapdragon 8cx system.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/281874-qualcomms-extreme-snapdragon-8cx-cpu-could-power-your-next-laptop

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »
All this faster phone stuff is new to me.

I have a real cheap cell phone ($39) with $42/month, unlimited Cricket service and it looks like anything I do with it such as make and answer call, check out stuff on the net such as movie start times, etc. ... responds almost immediately.

Are you cell phone experts telling me that I'm missing something?

Many moons ago I was one of the 1st cell phone sales persons and that phone was actually a military ammo box and you had to say, "Over!" before the other party could speak.

And then someone reduced that phone to about the size of a quart of milk .. and eventually to the size of a pack of Marlboros.

And you didn't have to say, "Over!" no more.

We managed to stay in business thanks to the local prostitutes who were actually our principal customers.

Now ... every kid in school has a cell phone.

Years from now your own personal phone will be embedded in your tooth or surgically inserted in some body part.

But today I'm happy with my $39 phone and my $42/month, unlimited service plan!

And I still have a Philco TV with that halo light around the 14 inch screen, but Ubcle Milty ain't around no more!

But, seriously, would my life improve if I got one of these Snapdragon phones!?

And while I'm at it ... Is anyone familiar with Bone Conduction Headsets
and their use with cell phones?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 09:59:27 AM »
I gotta add  ..

Back in the day when I sold phones/service ... our only competition was MOTOROLA .... and here's a shot of that quart of milk sized phone.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 12:39:23 PM »
sWaP Nova is officially the World’s Smallest Cell Phone.

Heading towards tooth size??

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 02:25:03 PM »
All this faster phone stuff is new to me.

I have a real cheap cell phone ($39) with $42/month, unlimited Cricket service and it looks like anything I do with it such as make and answer call, check out stuff on the net such as movie start times, etc. ... responds almost immediately.

Are you cell phone experts telling me that I'm missing something?

Many moons ago I was one of the 1st cell phone sales persons and that phone was actually a military ammo box and you had to say, "Over!" before the other party could speak.

And then someone reduced that phone to about the size of a quart of milk .. and eventually to the size of a pack of Marlboros.

And you didn't have to say, "Over!" no more.

We managed to stay in business thanks to the local prostitutes who were actually our principal customers.

Now ... every kid in school has a cell phone.

Years from now your own personal phone will be embedded in your tooth or surgically inserted in some body part.

But today I'm happy with my $39 phone and my $42/month, unlimited service plan!

And I still have a Philco TV with that halo light around the 14 inch screen, but Ubcle Milty ain't around no more!

But, seriously, would my life improve if I got one of these Snapdragon phones!?

And while I'm at it ... Is anyone familiar with Bone Conduction Headsets
and their use with cell phones?

It depends. As you get older you become more of a Luddite. You resist change and do fine on what you've been doing your whole life. I had a fliptop until just four years ago but once I got a smartphone and little by little discovered how many things you could do with it it opened up a whole new world for me. So many things you can do with it. I have it with me constantly and use it for so many other things than making a call every day. Actually, since I really don't like talking on the phone, I would say making actual calls is one of the things I do least. Just yesterday I used it as a GPS to make driving effortless (I have a horrible sense of direction and use to have to stop several times during a trip to consult the map), I constantly ask Google assistant for information where you just ask a question to your phone and get back an immediate answer (info on Metropolol, where's the nearest Western Union, how many calories in a Ted's Big Burger, when did Socrates die, how did Aristostones figure out the circumference of the planet, what time does Vitamin Shoppe closed, info on Snapdragon 855, Specs on the Rivian electric truck, how to use the Hammer V Squat...All this just yesterday. I talk to my phone asking questions constantly all throughout the day whenever something comes to mind), I also use my phone to determine the price of an item I was interested in and what other stores in my area are charging by scanning the bar code, I filled and picked up my prescription with my phone, I transferred funds sent to me via PayPal to my bank account, I withdrew money from my bank account using my phone, I listened to prerecorded music on my phone while in the gym, I used it to read and post on GetBig and other sites, I watch several YouTube vids (Joe Rogan's Pod cast, a tech review on the Pixel Slate, Nicks Strength and Power video on Arthur Jones), I communicate with family members, some whom I never talked to in years, via facebook and now I am connected with their lives...

This is just one day with my phone. I have to keep a back up portable charger with me since I use my phone so much that I start to run out of juice.

And, for the first time in my life, I actually lost my phone. I rarely put it down and always like to keep it in my hand so I don't leave it somewhere but this time I did. Fortunately, I also had my portable Zenpad Z8 with me and I could track it via the GPS. Told what area my phone was (at Walgreens) and I was able to activate the alarm on my phone so that I could find it's exact location.

And the camera on the Pixel 2 is amazing! One thing I wish I did more in my life is to take pictures. Of course, back in the day who wanted to carry around a bulky camera.
It's effortless with my phone and now I can capture memories right at the spur of the moment.

You can easily live without these things. And I did for over 50 years. But for me living life to experiencing new things and expanding your world. I am way better off having a smart phone. But a lot of people, my father is a classic example, just being content with your present situation is enough. No need or desire to learn or experience something new.

If my fliptop didn't break and my provider (Virgin Mobile) was more helpful I probably would still be using a fliptop. But when I walked into a Verizon store and saw all the different possibilities I took the leap and so glad I did.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2018, 02:25:58 PM »
sWaP Nova is officially the World’s Smallest Cell Phone.

Heading towards tooth size??

No. That was back in the flip phone days. The trend now is for bigger screens.

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »
Qualcomm demo Snapdragon 8cx Always Connected Windows 10 PCs.

He's on LTE with a VPN and two 4K monitors running Windows.  Meaning you can work from anywhere like it's your office.  This is going to take the corporate and home computer world by storm. 

I'm interested to see what the next ARM server chips will be like.  Expect Amazon and Microsoft to have many Arm cloud servers.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 09:19:38 PM »
PELLIUS, Thanks, but just about everything you mentioned ... I can also do on my Cricket $39 cellphone with my $42/mo sevice plan.

And I agree with ya that it's great to take pictures and get info and stay in contact with others.

I attended the latest Apple phone demo and was impressed but the only thing it had that my cheap phone 'don't' is the ability to call an ambulance if I fall over or drop dead.

So I'm still wondering what a 'snap-dragon' or any other $1,000 cell-phone can do so much better that a $39 Cricket can't.

PS... I just spoke with Keith's daughter. She and her 4 kids left Hawaii and now reside in Cal.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 10:17:06 PM »
PELLIUS, Thanks, but just about everything you mentioned ... I can also do on my Cricket $39 cellphone with my $42/mo sevice plan.

And I agree with ya that it's great to take pictures and get info and stay in contact with others.

I attended the latest Apple phone demo and was impressed but the only thing it had that my cheap phone 'don't' is the ability to call an ambulance if I fall over or drop dead.

So I'm still wondering what a 'snap-dragon' or any other $1,000 cell-phone can do so much better that a $39 Cricket can't.

PS... I just spoke with Keith's daughter. She and her 4 kids left Hawaii and now reside in Cal.

Good to hear Keith's daughter and kids are doing well. So many people I know are moving to the mainland. Just too expensive to live here.

Cricket is a phone plan and not a phone. What kind of actual phone do you have? If it's not a smartphone, and I thought you said it was a fliptop, you can't ask it a question like "Best fat-free ice cream" and have your phone verbally give you an answer like I just did earlier today or how many ounces are in 300 grams, of the half-life of t3? Much easier to just talk and ask your phone questions instead of having to type it out. Can your phone scan a bar code in a store, tell you the price, tell you the prices charged by other stores in your area and on websites, or scan an image on an ATM and get cash? Does it have a call screen feature where it will answer the phone for you, carry on a conversation and record and save a copy of the conversation for you when you have time to view it? Just today it notified me automatically about a road closure in my area and what is the faster detour.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 08:15:02 AM »
What the hell are you guys doing with your phones that you need the latest and greatest?  Does it give you more game playing capability?  I use my phone for calls, instant message, facebook, pictures, google and alarms. I think every phone does that. Are you guys launching ballistic missiles with your phones? Out of the loop. Officially old.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
PELLIUS, Thanks for that latest CellPhone info.

On the back of my phone it says "Cricket ZTE" and as you can already see, I am as dumb as an oyster when it comes to "up to date" cell phones. But I think that it is a smart-phone.

But I think that this $39 cell phone of mone can do everything that you mentioned above ... but I am too darn dumb to use some of those 'features as you mentioned above... except when I go to the Cricket store and ask, "How do I do that?".

And then the Cricket guy/gal takes my phone and pushes a button or two .... and it does it.

My problem is ... I am a nut-job when it comes to understanding what "Bluetooth" or "WI-FI" does or is supposed to do and on a number of occasions I switch to "Airplane Mode" and have no idea how  that happened. (But I am pretty good at understanding the BASICS of Quantum Mechanics.)

But I do gotta admit that I am totally dumb when it comes to getting the best usage of my $39 cell phone, but I only realize that "dumb-ness" when I read input such as this from GetBiggers who know how cell phones actually function.

I come from the days when we used to converse using two metal cans and a short piece of taunt string so I think that my ignorance should be totally acceptable until I get back to CRICKET and ask them to make it work just like your cellphone does.

And I bet ya that my $39 phone will work just as well, but maybe not as swiftly.

AND .... YES ... Las Vegas is one of the main places where Hawaii folks come to reside ... because it is so damn cheap (relatively speaking.)

I can buy a whole  pineapple here for 80 cents or less but Hawaiian Sweet Bread is never cheaper.