Author Topic: Fortress: strongest and weakest  (Read 4074 times)

Titus Pullo

• Getbig IV
Fortress: strongest and weakest
« on: December 09, 2018, 02:38:05 PM »
Big Rob,

As per the subject line, I am curious:  who were the strongest guys with whom you trained or saw training?  On the flip side, who struck you as weak?  I recall you saying, and forgive me if I'm paraphrasing, how you "marvelled" at how Nasser struggled to rep with 315 on an incline press.

Thanks, Rob.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: Fortress: strongest and weakest
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 03:16:18 PM »
Big Rob,

As per the subject line, I am curious:  who were the strongest guys with whom you trained or saw training?  On the flip side, who struck you as weak?  I recall you saying, and forgive me if I'm paraphrasing, how you "marvelled" at how Nasser struggled to rep with 315 on an incline press.

Thanks, Rob.

I can chime in on Nasser. 

I saw Nasser training in World Gym San Diego a few times.  Nowhere near as strong as he looked.  Kinda lazy too... no real effort or intensity.  Similar to Paul Dillett.   

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 06:16:20 PM »
I may as well chime in too since I practically lived in Venice during the heyday and still train there today but in a different fashion. The strongest and I’ve stated this for years, was mike o tren. He has done incredible lifts on a daily basis since the 80s. The weakest? I’d have to think about that one.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 06:36:17 PM »
I don't know if he's weak, but I've seen Vince Taylor training a few times and he trained with very light weights.  He did seemed to do lots of reps and many sets. 

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 06:41:48 PM »
I may as well chime in too since I practically lived in Venice during the heyday and still train there today but in a different fashion. The strongest and I’ve stated this for years, was mike o tren. He has done incredible lifts on a daily basis since the 80s. The weakest? I’d have to think about that one.

His joints will give out soon

Brian Poulos

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 06:48:25 PM »
Shawn Ray was a weakling.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 06:57:45 PM »

Shawn Ray?? He would do rock bottom squats with 500lbs for reps after 3 or 4 sets. He used 315lbs for flat benching after inclines. I think he was one of the hardest trainers.

Talking about using light weights their was a personal trainer in one of the gyms I worked out in. Never big enough to be contender in a bodybuilding contest but he was ripped and looked fantastic. Saw him using 135lbs for squats and for deadlifts. Almost seemed like he trained for endurance with little rest between sets.  Maybe what I thought were light weights might have been heavy if I trained with his style of training. Heard the same about Chris Dickerson. A guy told me what light weights he used until he trained with him one day. Suddenly the light weight got very heavy due to the many sets with short rests between.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »

:o

Hes 50+

Dudes had a great run and i'm sure he'll still be strong for his age.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 07:12:55 PM »

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 08:30:34 PM »
Shawn wasn’t weak. And he was one of the most impressive to see workout his joint to muscle belly ratio was insane.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 08:33:13 PM »
Sean Rey got slapped off a bench in Koloseum.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

BlackMetallic

• Getbig V
  • I am Jack's lack of HRT skills
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 12:09:31 AM »
Chris Cormier was said to be quite strong

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 03:51:12 AM »
Yes they will and he probably will quit training at that time.  I used to lift heavy in my 20's and early 30's but transitioned to 12-20 rep sets after age 35 and still love my workouts.  Everyone I know who kept training heavy either have quit training or have joint pain and injuries constantly.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 04:32:55 AM »
Shawn Ray?? He would do rock bottom squats with 500lbs for reps after 3 or 4 sets. He used 315lbs for flat benching after inclines. I think he was one of the hardest trainers.

Agree.  I saw Shawn training at World's Gym in Fullerton.  Trained hard and intense.  I never saw him squat 500, but I did see him squat 315 for 20-25 reps.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 04:54:32 AM »
Time is ticking on your moronic trolling posts Poul smoker. ::)

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 05:33:59 AM »
Big Rob,

Thanks, Rob.

It's bodybuilding, not powerlifting.....

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 06:58:47 AM »
It's bodybuilding, not powerlifting.....

It's a legitimate training question.

Who built their body's with heavy weights? Who used high reps?

Skylge do you even train bro?

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 08:09:06 AM »
Chris Cormier was said to be quite strong
i remember Chris having a really strong incline bench. Back when the bench presses were up near the front in the first room in Venice I think I regularly saw him incline 405. He was there almost everyday but I don’t remember much more about his weights. He worked out with Rico and one other guy I think as a trio.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 08:21:50 AM »
First ...

Shawn Ray could have successfully pursued a powerlifting career. He was impressively strong and powerful, and his technique and angles were awesome.

Now, for the purposes of answering the query, I’ll comment only on those whom I witnessed lifting in person ...

Strongest: Michael Francois, Henderson Thorne, Warlord (wrestler, I know, but I had to mention him. Dude was scary strong), Dorian Yates (easily Ronnie’s match, but was incredibly precise and deliberate in his motions)

Weakest: Nasser El Sonbaty, Paul Dillet, Nimrod King (although his biceps were incredibly strong)

There are multitudes of guys that I’ve seen workout who veer more toward either strong or weak, but the above is just off the top of my head.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »
First ...

Shawn Ray could have successfully pursued a powerliftingcompetitive eating career. He was His jaw is impressively strong and powerful, and his technique and angles were awesome. Many buffets refuse to service him.

Now, for the purposes of answering the query, I’ll comment only on those whom I witnessed lifting in person ...

Strongest: Michael Francois, Henderson Thorne, Warlord (wrestler, I know, but I had to mention him. Dude was scary strong), Dorian Yates (easily Ronnie’s match, but was incredibly precise and deliberate in his motions)

Weakest: Nasser El Sonbaty, Paul Dillet, Nimrod King (although his biceps were incredibly strong)

There are multitudes of guys that I’ve seen workout who veer more toward either strong or weak, but the above is just off the top of my head.

Fixed.

Love you Shaun Rai.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 09:58:57 AM »
First ...

Shawn Ray could have successfully pursued a powerlifting career. He was impressively strong and powerful, and his technique and angles were awesome.

Yes Paul Dillet was by far the weakest big man ever in bodybuilding.  Absolutely shocked to see how light he trained.  High school volleyball girls teams lift heavier than he ever did.  Example #1 of someone all genetics and drugs.  On a positive note he looks thin and very healthy now.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 10:19:39 AM »
But Musclemag International said Dillet could DB shoulder press the 170lbers!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 10:28:15 AM »
Yes they will and he probably will quit training at that time.  I used to lift heavy in my 20's and early 30's but transitioned to 12-20 rep sets after age 35 and still love my workouts.  Everyone I know who kept training heavy either have quit training or have joint pain and injuries constantly.

I'm 60 and all my friends that could bench 400 plus back in the day can't do 225lbs now. Either their shoulder joint is shot or their elbows. I think the bench is really hard on the joints. It is a limited range exercise by arching, big chest or even short arms. It creates inflexibility and that's how you get a tear.

VladimirVersic

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 10:34:36 AM »
Shawn wasn’t weak. And he was one of the most impressive to see workout his joint to muscle belly ratio was insane.

Read in a mag he could hang with Paul Dillet. Was mentioned  Shawn was one of the strongest pound for pound.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »
This guy benched over 300lbs into his late 60s as anyone in Krunch Gym, North London will tell you. Many many witnesses to it.

Roy "Pretty Boy" Shaw.