Author Topic: For The First Time in 75 Years USA Exports More Oil Than It Imports  (Read 5344 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Forget OPEC — Texas and the rest of America now drive oil markets
Dallas News

In recent days, federal officials released the earth-shattering news that for the first time in 75 years, the United States became a net exporter of oil.  In other words, we now ship more of the black gold overseas than we import. The importance of that is we — the United States — now have the upper hand over the oil-autocratic regimes of the world. 

The second data point is connected to the first.  The United States is now the largest oil producer in the world.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/2018/12/11/forget-opec-texas-rest-america-now-drive-oil-markets

Your move OPEC.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Re: For The First Time in 75 Years USA Exports More Oil Than It Imports
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 03:24:00 AM »
We should keep all our oil for ourselves.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 03:26:48 AM »
President Trump gets the credit...Energy independence.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 03:49:21 AM »
Agreed.  Keep it all for our own use which completely eliminates the need for us to deal with Muslim countries.  We would be completely energy independent for the next 200 years.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 04:55:50 AM »

This.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 05:16:55 AM »
If we export all this oil we'll run out and be right back dependent on foreign oil.

Same with exporting natural gas.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 05:35:05 AM »

Preach it, Saint Wiggs!

Redux

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 05:49:15 AM »
More Winning.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 06:12:14 AM »
How would that work?

I'm all for America first and don't mind a slight economic hit but that seems tricky.

Companies can only sell to ourelves?

I kind of like what Alaska does. Every resident gets a small check from oil/gas revenue.

I know privte companies pay taxes/fees to the feds to harvest resources but that money disappears in to uncle sams pocket.

I like a direct cut to citizens in the region being used.

Board_SHERIF

• Getbig V
  • UK Independence Party
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 06:18:29 AM »
Wow sounds like the Racist Homophobic Nazi Russian Spy Trump did this to make the USA even more selfish  ::)
K

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 06:33:03 AM »
I have a nationalist mindset in that I believe we should take care of the homefront first. This is how it has worked throughout history. Now this is a bad thing and considered selfish. We must become "global citizens".  This is globalist propaganda bullshit. WE MUST CLEAN AND PROTECT OUR HOUSE! Others can look to us as examples. Obviously not anymore. Its crazy that I have to even defend this natural line of thinking.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 06:37:46 AM »
Arabs

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 03:58:48 AM »
How would that work?

I'm all for America first and don't mind a slight economic hit but that seems tricky.

Companies can only sell to ourelves?

I kind of like what Alaska does. Every resident gets a small check from oil/gas revenue.

I know privte companies pay taxes/fees to the feds to harvest resources but that money disappears in to uncle sams pocket.

I like a direct cut to citizens in the region being used.

Just use the oil ourselves for our cars, industry and energy needs.

No shipping oil out of the country.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 07:23:37 AM »
Just use the oil ourselves for our cars, industry and energy needs.

No shipping oil out of the country.

Thats a goal but not an explanation of how to do it.

Are you gonna nationalize oil companies?

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 07:35:13 AM »
I think a more viable America first approach would be to start giving royalty checks to taxpayers in oil producing regions like Alaska does. The oil lobby is pretty strong, and any republican in the wh not named Trump wouldn't sign it. Definitely not Rubio or Jeb!. Cruz, maybe. Rand, maybe.

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 07:39:03 AM »

who is we? these aren't federal oil mines, they're multinationals

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 08:23:27 AM »
The real reason we sell oil outside the US is quite simple- it takes money to stockpile it and you make zero dollars when it is just sitting there. If you have a lot of producing oil wells there becomes nowhere to put it. I am in the tech biz and spent several days in Oklahoma with one of the main players in oil drilling. He taught me so much in that short time I felt totally stupid! He showed me a line of tank cars on a railroad track filled with oil. He said they are sitting there because the producers are finding so much oil it is faster than the market can absorb it.

When you put up an oil rig you need to make money ASAP since your upfront costs are huge. And factoring in poorly performing wells (you never know until you drill), you end up with a lot of expenses. They are paid from oil sales revenues of course. So once you hit a high production well you need to sell everything that comes out of it 24/7/ You don't turn off a valve and wait for customers to come. In fact capping off a well, even temporarily, is outrageously expensive.

With the advent of lateral drilling (that is the reason for the boom in oil production, along with oil shale- not fracking as the moronic media seems to think) more previously unrecoverable oil is now in play. A lot of drillers have struck pay dirt and the market is flooded with crude. So what do you do with it? Sell it of course.

Until 2015, it was illegal to export oil drilled in the USA. This was because a law was signed in 1975 during the oil crisis. The idea was to keep all domestic oil in the USA. So what happened? Oil prices skyrocketed and production actually went down. The reason production went down was because of a preference given to certain oil producers that pushed the small guys out of the market.Typical of anything the US Congress comes up with

So when the ban was lifted, it suddenly became an open market again. Take a drive through west Texas if you want to see a boom going on... And the beneficiary of this is the US consumer.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 08:41:53 AM »
Finally no more of those sheik fatcats exploiting the US market.  We like our exploitative fatcats to be 100% homegrown in the US of A!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 09:05:44 AM »
 ;D
F

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2018, 10:15:36 AM »
Finally no more of those sheik fatcats exploiting the US market.  We like our exploitative fatcats to be 100% homegrown in the US of A!

The state and federal governments are the exploitative fat cats, for sure. I live in South Carolina and paid $1.85 today for gas. I was in upstate NY last week and it was 75 cents more. Everyone gives crap to the oil companies but never to the government.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »

Obama turned over the crude oil export ban in 2015. It had been in place for 40 years. US oil export has been exploding for the last decade.

The reason the export number is so high isn't because of crude exports, but because of gov't subsidized products like ethanol. We export some crude oil, but that is largely because US refineries can't use it as easily. We're still importing way more crude oil than we export and we burn way more oil than we produce.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2018, 02:29:29 PM »
Obama turned over the crude oil export ban in 2015. It had been in place for 40 years. US oil export has been exploding for the last decade.

The reason the export number is so high isn't because of crude exports, but because of gov't subsidized products like ethanol. We export some crude oil, but that is largely because US refineries can't use it as easily. We're still importing way more crude oil than we export and we burn way more oil than we produce.

Not exactly true: "The United States exported more oil and fuel than it imported last week for the first time in 75 years, a significant milestone in the resurgence of domestic energy production that comes as the Trump administration pushes to increase energy exports even further."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/us/politics/us-oil-exports-trade-deficit.html

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 03:58:45 AM »
Why are we exporting oil if we are importing oil?

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 04:10:52 AM »
Yet there are still people who insist that Trump has accomplished anything so far in office.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 05:30:54 AM »
Yet there are still people who insist that Trump has accomplished anything so far in office.
  you mean hasn't not has, right. or do you want to sub nothing for anything.
F