Author Topic: $1.2 trillion In Outstanding Auto Loans  (Read 5301 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
$1.2 trillion In Outstanding Auto Loans
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:08:01 PM »
This is the American Auto market by the numbers:

$1.2 trillion In Outstanding Auto Loan Debt.  110 million car loans outstanding.

31.1% of new vehicles are leased.

Average used vehicle transaction price $19,657, with an average payment of $378 per month.

Average new vehicle transaction price $35,742, with a monthly mayment of $523.  The average loan term is 68 months.

Regarding the big three:
Average transaction price for new Chrysler vehicle $38,373.
Average transaction price for new Ford vehicle $40,442.
Average transaction price for new GM vehicle $40,516.

Pretty much every vehicle on the road has a large monthly payment.  :-\

Skylge

• Getbig IV
Re: $1.2 trillion In Outstanding Auto Loans
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 12:34:52 AM »
Debt will most likely be the cause of the next major financial crises.

Countries, corporations, families, all up to their ears in debt......will be interesting to see what happens when rates go up....

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 03:39:02 AM »

$1.2 trillion In Outstanding Auto Loan Debt.  110 million car loans outstanding.

Average used vehicle transaction price $19,657, with an average payment of $378 per month.

Average new vehicle transaction price $35,742, with a monthly mayment of $523.  The average loan term is 68 months.

Regarding the big three:

This is why they don't have time to build cars.

??

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 03:44:06 AM »

Countries, corporations, families, all up to their ears in debt......will be interesting to see what happens when rates go up....
Things will be great for those who are debt free with a positive net worth.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 03:44:45 AM »
recessions are a natural part of debt cycles. It happens over and over. I just hope the next recession will not be as bad as 2008.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 03:55:07 AM »
The auto industry has always been cyclical.

Boom and bust.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 04:22:54 AM »
Not surprised.  I see all these ghetto-nogs driving around in brand new cars.  Lots of loan defaults coming.  Unlike a house, it's pretty easy to repossess a car.

The economy is a slow motion train wreck.  I've been saying that here for a while now.  Lots of people I know are living check to check and have little/no cash savings.   They're in debt up to their eyebrows.

Over the last couple years I've underestimated the ability of TPTB to keep kicking the can down the road.  It's getting closer though.  This recent stock market downturn is just the beginning.  Retirement funds are going to get whacked.  Housing prices are starting to fall and that will only accelerate.  I believe 2019 will be a year for the history books, much worse than 2008.  Prepare accordingly.  Buy/stockpile ammo... all types.  It will be worth more than gold someday.

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 05:28:52 AM »

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 08:46:30 AM »

^ This. Add in student loan debt (currently $1.5 TRILLION) and Kaboom!

https://studentloanhero.com/student-loan-debt-statistics/

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 08:54:42 AM »
??

The average transaction price for a compact or mid sized car is $20-$25K.  American car companies have an average transaction price of over $40K.  That's why they don't want to waste their time will cheap cars.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »

Regarding the big three:

Most people I know drive Korean or Japanese cars because of reliability. Hard to see how those makers wouldn't actally be the lion's share of cars on the road. And the ATP is so much lower than that Detroit crap.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 11:44:56 AM »
Many of those people deep in debt and driving new cars have no intention of ever paying the debt.  They will just run up the credit cards until they can't get anymore credit and then file bankruptcy.  Those with the big student loans will still have that debt though.

Hypo

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 05:38:39 PM »

Agree. So many nations' balance sheets have ballooned since the GFC to stimulate their economies. It's been around a decade and not much of that debt has been paid, meaning the capacity to cushion the next downturn will be that much harder.

Households are getting up there. FOMO idiots in Australia borrowing to the hilt for property. Household-income ratio ~200%. Property prices now contracting (never learnt the lesson from the US in 2007), have negative equity (mortgage worth more than the property) while banks have to raise interest rates because they get funding from o/s. All these morons with interest-only loans are getting stung because they have to move to interest and principal and can't afford it. Lose your job (wage growth is stagnant), you are done.

Never understood taking out an auto loan. If you have to get a loan to drive a car, you don't deserve that car. Buy second hand and save the pain.

JustPlaneJane

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 06:05:44 PM »
Stupid people make stupid decisions

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 06:10:12 PM »
Many of those people deep in debt and driving new cars have no intention of ever paying the debt.  They will just run up the credit cards until they can't get anymore credit and then file bankruptcy.  Those with the big student loans will still have that debt though.

Yup, can't dismiss student loans with a BK.  IMO, the government will eventually need to grant some type of relief for student loans that are in default.  Not a debt jubilee, but a lowering of their interest rates, or possibly the interest owed will be forgiven.  There is no way the majority of those college kids are going to be able to pay those loans.  Most of the college grads I've worked with have $50K- 100K in student loan debt.  The cost of college today is such a fucking scam.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2018, 07:28:50 PM »
Agree. So many nations' balance sheets have ballooned since the GFC to stimulate their economies. It's been around a decade and not much of that debt has been paid, meaning the capacity to cushion the next downturn will be that much harder.

Households are getting up there. FOMO idiots in Australia borrowing to the hilt for property. Household-income ratio ~200%. Property prices now contracting (never learnt the lesson from the US in 2007), have negative equity (mortgage worth more than the property) while banks have to raise interest rates because they get funding from o/s. All these morons with interest-only loans are getting stung because they have to move to interest and principal and can't afford it. Lose your job (wage growth is stagnant), you are done.

Never understood taking out an auto loan. If you have to get a loan to drive a car, you don't deserve that car. Buy second hand and save the pain.
You are a little bit out of touch. Even second hand cars cost a lot. Depending on the model as well, and if it is SUV or car. And Toyotas and Honda’s tend to hold their value more.
Also, you must add in the fact that with today’s modern lifestyle—-people have to have the latest smartphone (or the maker will slowly phase them out), the latest fashions, cable/streaming service, wants to go out shopping or the movies, and wants a vehicle that has all the latest tech. You only really see hipsters driving Volvo 240s, Jeep Cherokees, and e30/e36/e46 3 Series, or e28/e34 5 series, old 4Runners.

Also, ever try buying cars on Craigslist? There is the “no low ballers, I know what I got”, yet they have a 2010 Toyota Camry with 170k  on the clock, Hello Kitty bumper stickers peeling off the rear bumper, yet they want almost the full out the door price that they paid.
And let’s not start on after market warranties.

And the biggest thing, is that the second hand market is running out of cars.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 07:45:15 PM »
as a mortgage broker the #1 thing that destroys wealth are auto loans -

so common to see $500-$800 car payments all the time.

auto loans and leases will kill your wealth.

knock it off

also no one takes care of their cars - very few cars are waxed, oiled, air pressure checked and the brakes are are ruined/over used same with wear and tear on the tires

Hypo

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 07:53:19 PM »
You are a little bit out of touch. Even second hand cars cost a lot. Depending on the model as well, and if it is SUV or car. And Toyotas and Honda’s tend to hold their value more.
Also, you must add in the fact that with today’s modern lifestyle—-people have to have the latest smartphone (or the maker will slowly phase them out), the latest fashions, cable/streaming service, wants to go out shopping or the movies, and wants a vehicle that has all the latest tech. You only really see hipsters driving Volvo 240s, Jeep Cherokees, and e30/e36/e46 3 Series, or e28/e34 5 series, old 4Runners.

Also, ever try buying cars on Craigslist? There is the “no low ballers, I know what I got”, yet they have a 2010 Toyota Camry with 170k  on the clock, Hello Kitty bumper stickers peeling off the rear bumper, yet they want almost the full out the door price that they paid.
And let’s not start on after market warranties.

And the biggest thing, is that the second hand market is running out of cars.

If you really need the latest gadget, then you are a sucker consumerist. Reason why iPhone sales are slumping? Harder to pack as many useless gadgets into their overpriced crap. I can understand if there is a marked improvement in tech to make people's lives easier, but I see no point in needing facial unlock, full screens, etc. Not to mention their rediculous mark-ups.

You buy a brand new car, expect the resale price to drop 5-10% as soon as you leave the showroom. Ex-demos, that's a better purchase. As for second-handers, never buy anything above 100ks on the clock. Get a mechanic to check over before buying.

If you have to buy new, as I said, better to have the cash than on a loan. Car finance generally have major balloon payments. Debt is overrated.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 09:07:17 PM »
If you really need the latest gadget, then you are a sucker consumerist. Reason why iPhone sales are slumping? Harder to pack as many useless gadgets into their overpriced crap. I can understand if there is a marked improvement in tech to make people's lives easier, but I see no point in needing facial unlock, full screens, etc. Not to mention their rediculous mark-ups.

You buy a brand new car, expect the resale price to drop 5-10% as soon as you leave the showroom. Ex-demos, that's a better purchase. As for second-handers, never buy anything above 100ks on the clock. Get a mechanic to check over before buying.

If you have to buy new, as I said, better to have the cash than on a loan. Car finance generally have major balloon payments. Debt is overrated.

This doesn't mean much. A mechanic can spot major, obvious issues but there are so many potential problems that can go undetected that it's always a risk when buying a car.

You're better off getting something that still has a warranty if you dont know what you're doing.

A bus pass is probably the best option.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 02:03:01 AM »
People just suck society dry. Ive always been afraid of debt.

House - paid off
4 Honda C-RV's - paid off ( 4 of us live here)
2 college tuition's - paid off w/ no loans
Credit card debt - ZERO
credit ranking - 833 (today)
401 K's - 800K

It just means Im old, always been resposible with money, and gee, no Libtarded w/ myhand out.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2018, 03:46:00 AM »
People just suck society dry. Ive always been afraid of debt.

House - paid off
4 Honda C-RV's - paid off ( 4 of us live here)
2 college tuition's - paid off w/ no loans
Credit card debt - ZERO
credit ranking - 833 (today)
401 K's - 800K

It just means Im old, always been resposible with money, and gee, no Libtarded w/ myhand out.

Nice going.

Thank goodness everyone isn't like you or the economy would be belly up.

:D

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2018, 03:46:22 AM »
Yup, can't dismiss student loans with a BK.  IMO, the government will eventually need to grant some type of relief for student loans that are in default.  Not a debt jubilee, but a lowering of their interest rates, or possibly the interest owed will be forgiven.  There is no way the majority of those college kids are going to be able to pay those loans.  Most of the college grads I've worked with have $50K- 100K in student loan debt.  The cost of college today is such a fucking scam.
Yes the cost of college is a scam but isn't addressed much by the media or the Democratic party because it is their indoctrination school.  Professors have to be the most overpaid workforce in the country but they are churning out little leftists so they get a pass.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2018, 04:22:46 AM »
I am leery of buying used vehicles. Not to say you can’t get a nice one, but it won’t be cheap. My wife and I got new vehicles four years ago and they’ll be paid off in February. If you manage your finances properly, debt isn’t all bad.  BTW, I don’t carry any credit card debt, student loans were paid off within two years of graduating, but I’ll take a 1.9% auto loan rather than shelling out $120k of my own money.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2018, 04:29:46 AM »
When buying a used car you can always get a lemon with no warranty to protect you.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2018, 04:49:59 AM »
I'd buy a used fleet vehicle from a business or government agency that has a mechanic on staff and they turf the things out at an age or mileage limit.  Private sale, not so much.  Ain't hardly nobody look after their own car.