Author Topic: Big and Weak  (Read 3514 times)

!@#$%

• Getbig III
Big and Weak
« on: April 15, 2006, 01:22:03 AM »
I've been seeing more big and weak guys around lately. What causes that? It has got to come from gear. I'm talking about guys that are as big as pros but bench maybe 1 plate and have low bodyfat.

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Big and Weak
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 09:33:06 AM »
Maybe they are bodybuilders and not powerlifters

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 10:32:15 PM »
I've been seeing more big and weak guys around lately. What causes that? It has got to come from gear. I'm talking about guys that are as big as pros but bench maybe 1 plate and have low bodyfat.

if they are as big as pros and have low body fat...maybe theyre getting ready for a show and are taking it relatively easy.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 10:41:43 PM »
maybe they just started working out....everyone starts somewhere..Rome wasn't built in a day...before long they will add a 25 to each side and be capable of 185  ;D

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 02:50:26 PM »
It depends on genetics too Ive seen some big guys that dont lift that heavy at all for their size.

ARMZ

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 03:25:25 PM »

I've wondered this before. I saw Fux the day he came to Palm Springs Ca. from Switzerland.. He would curl the 20's then do light machine work, then leave the gym.  He went this light every time I saw him train and he would train for about 30 minutes. Then after a few weeks I became good friends with him and asked him why he did this.  He said when you go off the juice, your body is in a constant catabolistic state.. If you break the muscle down too much with heavy weight you can lose muscle. So he just gets a pump, then leaves. He wanted to go off for 3 months, but Joe Weider said if he does he would be off contract. Mind you this was in the late '90s. Crazy how this sport works huh??

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 07:41:13 PM »
Are they struggling with this "low" weight? Are they only getting a couple of reps with it?

You have to remember if the individuals you are referring to train in a typical BB style fashion rather then a PL style the weight they use will be a lot less but the reps will be significantly higher. That does not mean they couldn't lift heavier, probably could, but this would deviate from their ultimate purpose and plan.

For me, I almost always stay in the 8-12 rep range with the occasional 6 rep lift...this just works better for what I'm after...it's also not that uncommon for me to do sets in the 20 rep range for legs. True, if I did fewer reps I could go significantly heavier and I would build more strength, but not as much shape and definition that I need. Personally shape and development are what I'm after, the more strength I gain is great, but I just look at it as an added bonus, not the ultimate goal.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 07:47:10 PM »

I've wondered this before. I saw Fux the day he came to Palm Springs Ca. from Switzerland.. He would curl the 20's then do light machine work, then leave the gym.  He went this light every time I saw him train and he would train for about 30 minutes. Then after a few weeks I became good friends with him and asked him why he did this.  He said when you go off the juice, your body is in a constant catabolistic state.. If you break the muscle down too much with heavy weight you can lose muscle. So he just gets a pump, then leaves. He wanted to go off for 3 months, but Joe Weider said if he does he would be off contract. Mind you this was in the late '90s. Crazy how this sport works huh??

WoW thats really cool Armz! Man just goes to show that promotors in bodybuilding are shameless!
just push some weight!

bigguns175

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 02:11:59 PM »
Also have to note some big guys might be recovering from injury, shoulder injury, knee injury, there just looking to maintain what they have.

I messed up my shoulders, a while ago, I was 230 pound young guy full of lean muscle, used to bench 315 6- 8 times and due to the injury i was benching 135 only for like 15 reps and even that would cause my shoulders burn.  Definitly hurts the ego too when you see 160 pound kid lifting more than you, lololol.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 08:26:05 PM »

They are bodybuilders, not powerlifters.

Being large and being strong are not the same.

There are many guys who are larger than me at my gym, but most of them can't even do 200lbs on incline DB press, which is pretty average.

Remember what AAS do, build lean muscle mass, but does that mean it is necessarily functional?

No.

Strength is heavily influenced by the CNS, which is acheived in the 1-3 rep range.  Most bodybuilders don't do go that low in reps for high weight. 

That is why there are many large guys who aren't comparatively strong.

DIV 

I'm a ghost in these killing fields...