Author Topic: Was Mike Mentzer Circumcised?  (Read 13348 times)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Re: Was Mike Mentzer Circumcised?
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 10:07:09 AM »
Yes, and he died at 49.  With his genetics for size he could have pumped light weights and had a great physique throughout his 40's instead of reliving his past glory from the 70's and not even training.  Another HIT failure.

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 11:12:28 AM »
He was a trainwreck in the 90ies. Just watch his video on youtube where he trains the German gaylord "Markus". Even if his overall rough look was due to stimulant abuse it seemed that his back was done for from the weights.

Disclaimer:
take your anti depressants before watching this video

Wow, that was depressing.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 11:23:25 AM »
I remember MM2k tried to help him out in the early 90's, and one of the funnier bones of contention was the reporting ( with pictures ) of his breakfast which was 1/2 dozen donuts, black coffee, and few cigarettes. Mentzer hated his public seeing him like that, and it got sour quickly.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2019, 11:47:04 AM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]
A

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2019, 12:21:54 PM »
I remember MM2k tried to help him out in the early 90's, and one of the funnier bones of contention was the reporting ( with pictures ) of his breakfast which was 1/2 dozen donuts, black coffee, and few cigarettes. Mentzer hated his public seeing him like that, and it got sour quickly.
MM2K was a great magazine and I signed up for a 2 year subscription before issue #1 was released.  Bill Phillips really spun the bullshit well and convinced me creatine, vanadyl sulphate and Metrx would turn me into a super human!  Didn't happen of course but Duchaine's Ultimate Orange (the original) kicked ass!  I almost had a psychotic episode the first time I took that shit.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2019, 12:30:46 PM »
MM2K was a great magazine and I signed up for a 2 year subscription before issue #1 was released.  Bill Phillips really spun the bullshit well and convinced me creatine, vanadyl sulphate and Metrx would turn me into a super human!  Didn't happen of course but Duchaine's Ultimate Orange (the original) kicked ass!  I almost had a psychotic episode the first time I took that shit.

the mistake you made was not adding glutamine to the stack

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2019, 12:41:50 PM »
Didn't happen of course but Duchaine's Ultimate Orange (the original) kicked ass!  I almost had a psychotic episode the first time I took that shit.

Looking back this is the one natural/otc supplement I wish we could have back. I remember grumbling at the price, but once I tired it, there was nothing like it.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2019, 12:57:33 PM »
He was a trainwreck in the 90ies. Just watch his video on youtube where he trains the German gaylord "Markus". Even if his overall rough look was due to stimulant abuse it seemed that his back was done for from the weights.

Disclaimer:
take your anti depressants before watching this video

now i'm depressed. thank you bro.

them two must not even have been that old during that video.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2019, 12:58:14 PM »
Looking back this is the one natural/otc supplement I wish we could have back. I remember grumbling at the price, but once I tired it, there was nothing like it.
Didn't the original have something illegal like meth in it?

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2019, 01:02:38 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]
youre telling me no woman in two piece bikini wasnt available for a rock video in the 80s?

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2019, 01:07:54 PM »
Mike's mistake was taking all that speed he took to "be productive".  It fucked him up physically and mentally.  That coupled with his loss to Arnold and his subsequent inability to get over, if not "around" that, destroyed him.

Arnold took his earlier loss to Zane and used it to his benefit. Same with his loss to Sergio.  After the '80 Olympia Mike just went south and when he couldn't go any deeper, began to dig.  He had every right to complain but instead he wound up bitching.  And in the process, became one. 

I still employ his H.I.T in my training.  As for the OP's "topic"?  FTN.  ;D

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2019, 01:11:56 PM »
Didn't the original have something illegal like meth in it?

Years ago, I tracked down the original recipe and a research paper on it, it was just a giant dose of ephedrine. Many of the older ephedrine products were just huge ephedrine doses, way more than the label claim. Here's the recipe, plus the name of the study on the 90's ephedrine products -

"
Ultimate Orange -

Carbohydrates - 16g
Protein - 25g
MaHuang shooting for a standardization of 8% - 415mg (about 33mg of Ephedrine)
Caffeine was around 300mg in the form of Gurana.

Also while the ephedrine and caffeine numbers seem in line with products of the day, it also had dosing guidelines that put your average to large sized bodybuilder around 2 - 2 1/2 that per serving.

Also I used to joke that Ultimate Orange looked liked a few bottles of Diet Fuel dumped into some carb powder with a hope for the best. Well I recently found this, which adds some credence to it -

Journal of Analytical Toxicology, Vol. 28, April 2004

Concentrations of Ephedra Alkaloids and Caffeine in
Commercial Dietary Supplements .       "

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2019, 01:25:26 PM »
Yeah, forgot about ephedrine.  Remember the aspirin, caffeine and ephedrine stack?

Titus Pullo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2019, 01:35:33 PM »
Mike's mistake was taking all that speed he took to "be productive".  It fucked him up physically and mentally.  That coupled with his loss to Arnold and his subsequent inability to get over, if not "around" that, destroyed him.

Arnold took his earlier loss to Zane and used it to his benefit. Same with his loss to Sergio.  After the '80 Olympia Mike just went south and when he couldn't go any deeper, began to dig.  He had every right to complain but instead he wound up bitching.  And in the process, became one. 

I still employ his H.I.T in my training.  As for the OP's "topic"?  FTN.  ;D

Nail, Hammer machine, Head :)

I knew Mike and I liked him.  He was a smart man, even if he was given to doing very stupid things (e.g., starting smoking in the nuthouse because his friends and idols Casey, Art Jones and Ayn Rand were smokers).  And for all of the shit his training methods receive, it's obvious a majority of his critics are too damned stupid to get beyond pathetic appeals to ridicule.

That said, Mike's ideas about training went seriously downhill in the last six or seven years of his life.  He became convinced that overtraining was this boogeyman that would set in (no pun intended) the very *second* someone did the absolute minimum to "stimulate growth," thus requiring a week between minimalist workouts.  His reasoning was severely flawed, and it is sad his methods are remembered for that instead of his earlier great ideas about training.  

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Was Mike Mentzer Circumcised? NO HOMO.
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2019, 02:13:46 PM »
Fixed.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2019, 03:59:07 PM »
bumped for relevant question

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2019, 10:35:51 PM »
Yeah, forgot about ephedrine.  Remember the aspirin, caffeine and ephedrine stack?

Sounds like a good combination.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2019, 03:16:11 AM »

I knew Mike and I liked him.  He was a smart man, even if he was given to doing very stupid things (e.g., starting smoking in the nuthouse because his friends and idols Casey, Art Jones and Ayn Rand were smokers).  And for all of the shit his training methods receive, it's obvious a majority of his critics are too damned stupid to get beyond pathetic appeals to ridicule.

That said, Mike's ideas about training went seriously downhill in the last six or seven years of his life.  He became convinced that overtraining was this boogeyman that would set in (no pun intended) the very *second* someone did the absolute minimum to "stimulate growth," thus requiring a week between minimalist workouts.  His reasoning was severely flawed, and it is sad his methods are remembered for that instead of his earlier great ideas about training.  
Bullshit!  His training methods were and are shit.  Not one shred of evidence that HIT is superior to any other style of training.  Mentzer was entertaining but not nearly as smart as he or anyone else thought.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2019, 03:22:42 AM »

his routine he used from the 70's is great and very effective

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2019, 03:24:45 AM »
Better than Zane, Arnold, Scott and Pearl's training programs?

DooM_

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 03:48:29 AM »

what makes it so effective ?

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 04:12:45 AM »
Hahahaahhahah is all i have to say at coming on to getbig and seeing this thread.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2019, 05:01:04 AM »
He built the majority of his physique on volume training just like everyone else did in that era.

Only later after meeting Jones did this aspect of his training change.

He was already fucking huge even as a young kid.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2019, 05:51:40 AM »
The positive thing about the Mentzer video is that the reps are done slow and controlled which really seems to stress the muscle.

In contrast I read that fast negatives do damage the fibers the most but it's kinda hard to gauge what to believe. Vince and his bicep-cyborg approach are trying to be scientific but I would like to see a huge number of people visiting him, training according to his principles and then presenting their progress... otherwise it's all theory that sounds great.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »
Wtf :D