Author Topic: THE GREATEST INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION OF ALL TIME makes the WWE HALL OF FAME!!  (Read 8155 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
HONKY TONK MAN is going to the big dance.....YES!!!!

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Another one that was long overdue. Glad to see Honky finally going in  :)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Another one that was long overdue. Glad to see Honky finally going in  :)

I wonder if his cousin, Jerry "The King" Lawler will induct him, or are they still on the outs with each other.

Ten years ago, Honky inducted Koko B. Ware. Maybe "the Birdman" will return the favor.

Playboy

• Getbig V
I wonder if his cousin, Jerry "The King" Lawler will induct him, or are they still on the outs with each other.

Ten years ago, Honky inducted Koko B. Ware. Maybe "the Birman" will return the favor.
I thought they made their peace?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
Ok fans you know you been asking for it, you praying for it, you been writing all those letters to Vince asking the same question over and over and over again and that question is "when is the WWE Hall of Fame going to be complete?"  Well I'm here to tell you baby that is happening very soon because the greatest intercontinel champion of alll time, that's me baby, The Honky Tonk Man is being inducted to the Hall of Fame and not a moment too soon cause I ain't no one hit wonder baby, I'm the greatest rock and roll singer of all times baby and I'm bringing the guitar, I'm bringing the dance moves, and  baby I'm bringing something that no one else before or since can ever bring and that is the longest intercontinental reign of all time baby so you just dial that tv right on in and we gonna do the Shake Rattle and Roll all night long.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
HONKY TONK MAN is going to the big dance.....YES!!!!

He is hall worthy but Tito Santana or Greg Valentine own the distinction of greatest IC Champion of all time.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
He is hall worthy but Tito Santana or Greg Valentine own the distinction of greatest IC Champion of all time.

It just doesn't fit quite well with either one of those two, as it does with the Honky Tonk Man.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
The I-C title has a rich history of being held by the company's best ring workers.
Honky Tonk was maybe the first exception to this trend, paving the way for other similar champions like Ultimate Warrior. He was a great "character." Could talk business into the building, but was never any kind of technician.

The fans loved (hating) his heel persona, though, and that kept him in a good spot for a decent stretch.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The I-C title has a rich history of being held by the company's best ring workers.
Honky Tonk was maybe the first exception to this trend, paving the way for other similar champions like Ultimate Warrior. He was a great "character." Could talk business into the building, but was never any kind of technician.

The fans loved (hating) his heel persona, though, and that kept him in a good spot for a decent stretch.

From what I've heard, it was the exact opposite. Honky was a great worker before he got to the WWF. Vince McMahon wanted to make him a babyface. But, much like the Rocky Maivia character, it didn't work. So, when they turned Honky heel, he got back to his roots.

And, the story goes that "The Natural" Butch Reed was supposed to be IC champion, after McMahon got enraged at Steamboat for asking for time off, after all the buildup to put him over Savage at WM3.

But, Reed showed up late (or no-showed). So, when the time came to get a heel to replace Reed, Hogan just happen to see Honky in the back and suggested he take Reed's place.

The rest is history. Honky was reported to be on top of the "B" loop of the WWF tours and drew lots of money. I guess that's what made Ultimate Warrior's win so wild at SummerSlam '88. People wondered if ANYBODY could take that blasted belt off Honky.

I'm glad he's finally getting into the Hall of Fame. All that's left, for me, is Demolition. They should be inducted instead of the Hart Foundation (Bret Hart is already in the HOF; Jim Neidhart hadn't done jack, especially after splitting from Bret).

Montague

• Getbig V
I'm glad he's finally getting into the Hall of Fame. All that's left, for me, is Demolition. They should be inducted instead of the Hart Foundation (Bret Hart is already in the HOF; Jim Neidhart hadn't done jack, especially after splitting from Bret).

I think if it wasn't for Martha Hart, WWE would have inducted the whole Hart family ala the Von Erich's some years back.

Demolition is part of an ongoing lawsuit against the Fed, so I'm sure that doesn't help their chances of going in.

Some fans have been hopeful for a British Bulldog induction. A semi-popular belief in recent years is that Vince didn't want a former star appearing on stage in a wheelchair (due to ring injuries). With Dynamite's recent passing, a posthumous induction seemed more likely in some folk's opinion.

However, Bruce Prichard recently conceded that we will NEVER SEE the Bulldogs (as a team - specifically, Billington) go into the HOF. He wouldn't elaborate at all when asked, but did reiterate in no uncertain terms that Dynamite Kid will never be in the WWF HOF.
Prichard said he fully expects Davey Boy to go in at some point because he was around for so much longer and did so much more both in singles and other tag teams.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

I think if it wasn't for Martha Hart, WWE would have inducted the whole Hart family ala the Von Erich's some years back.

Demolition is part of an ongoing lawsuit against the Fed, so I'm sure that doesn't help their chances of going in.

Some fans have been hopeful for a British Bulldog induction. A semi-popular belief in recent years is that Vince didn't want a former star appearing on stage in a wheelchair (due to ring injuries). With Dynamite's recent passing, a posthumous induction seemed more likely in some folk's opinion.

However, Bruce Prichard recently conceded that we will NEVER SEE the Bulldogs (as a team - specifically, Billington) go into the HOF. He wouldn't elaborate at all when asked, but did reiterate in no uncertain terms that Dynamite Kid will never be in the WWF HOF.
Prichard said he fully expects Davey Boy to go in at some point because he was around for so much longer and did so much more both in singles and other tag teams.

Honky once had a beef with the federation; yet he came back. I'm just surprised that they didn't allow somebody to break Honky's IC title record, as they did with AJ Lee's Divas' title run (with Nikki Bella) and Demolition's tag title run (with New Day).

Besides, if they let the Ultimate Warrior come back, you "never say never" (as Honky mentioned during his HOF speech last night).

Montague

• Getbig V
Honky once had a beef with the federation; yet he came back. I'm just surprised that they didn't allow somebody to break Honky's IC title record, as they did with AJ Lee's Divas' title run (with Nikki Bella) and Demolition's tag title run (with New Day).

Besides, if they let the Ultimate Warrior come back, you "never say never" (as Honky mentioned during his HOF speech last night).

I NEVER expected guys like Bret, Bruno, Hellwig, etc. to come back/go into the Fed's HOF.

After seeing how the above turned out, nothing would surprise me at this point.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
From what I've heard, it was the exact opposite. Honky was a great worker before he got to the WWF. Vince McMahon wanted to make him a babyface. But, much like the Rocky Maivia character, it didn't work. So, when they turned Honky heel, he got back to his roots.

And, the story goes that "The Natural" Butch Reed was supposed to be IC champion, after McMahon got enraged at Steamboat for asking for time off, after all the buildup to put him over Savage at WM3.

But, Reed showed up late (or no-showed). So, when the time came to get a heel to replace Reed, Hogan just happen to see Honky in the back and suggested he take Reed's place.

The rest is history. Honky was reported to be on top of the "B" loop of the WWF tours and drew lots of money. I guess that's what made Ultimate Warrior's win so wild at SummerSlam '88. People wondered if ANYBODY could take that blasted belt off Honky.

Honky brought up the babyface angle with Jim Cornette in a shoot interview.

Evidently Vince was looking at it from the merchandise angle, envisioning little kids wearing Elvis jumpsuits in the front rows. It went over like a lead balloon and Honky quickly switched over to heel.

Montague

• Getbig V

Evidently Vince was looking at it from the merchandise angle, envisioning little kids wearing Elvis jumpsuits in the front rows. It went over like a lead balloon and Honky quickly switched over to heel.

REALLY?
I'd never heard that before.

Seriously, WTF was the old man thinking?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Almost identical to his initial push with the Rock.

REALLY?

The sad part was he wasn't that old. Honky is a cartoonish gimmick. But, Elvis was dead for about a decade before Honky came to the WWF. And, as a kid, I didn't care about Elvis one way or the other. Older people probably didn't like it as much either.

Looking back, maybe it was the combination of this goofy gimmick, his "fluke" win over Steamboat, and the seemingly impossible efforts to get that IC strap off his waist that make the angle work so well.

He ended up being  what he said all along(to some fans like me at least)....THE GREATEST INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION OF ALL TIME!! ;D

BTW, I wonder why Jimmy Hart inducted Honky but not the Hart Foundation. At least, he didn't bum-rushed by some jerk the way Bret Hart did.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V

REALLY?

Another funny listen is YouTube shoot videos of Honky and Eric Bischoff going in on each other. I never realized the heat those 2 had for each other and it is still very much remains there 20 plus years later.

Montague

• Getbig V
Another funny listen is YouTube shoot videos of Honky and Eric Bischoff going in on each other. I never realized the heat those 2 had for each other and it is still very much remains there 20 plus years later.

How much of that do you think is a work?
There's no right or wrong answer, and I'll take your word because I haven't watched or listened to any of them.

Playboy

• Getbig V

How much of that do you think is a work?
There's no right or wrong answer, and I'll take your word because I haven't watched or listened to any of them.
I think 95% of them are all works. They are trying to get "heard" so they can get more bookings/autograph signings, etc. Its funny how they all carve each other in shoots, but then all of a sudden they're all buddies at a get together.

Montague

• Getbig V
I think 95% of them are all works. They are trying to get "heard" so they can get more bookings/autograph signings, etc. Its funny how they all carve each other in shoots, but then all of a sudden they're all buddies at a get together.

Precisely.

I mean, there are only so many ways to stay relevant after your active career is over.
That's why I give guys like DDP so much credit. I'm no Dallas Page fan, but he's enjoying ENORMOUS SUCCESS with that yoga franchise.