Author Topic: Maryland govt votes to allow you to end your suffering if you are terminal  (Read 2250 times)

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
Would you feel the same way if it were your loved one, wife, son, daughter, etc., suffering from depression?

What about corrupt doctors, hospital staff assisting with suicide of depressed organ donors instead of finding ways to help them live?

What the alternative? Watching a loved one suffer through a life they don't want to be living?

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
There are people begging to be euthanized and im over here with foot warts thinking its an existential crisis.

Really puts shit in perspective.

bigkid

• Getbig IV
not at all, even if relatively healthy people want to. Who's right is it to tell another adult what to do with his\her own body?
Already, you've moved on from terminally ill people to relatively healthy people.  Now its the ill person can only make the decision, then it'll be a spouse can make the decision, then family and finally the government.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

What the alternative? Watching a loved one suffer through a life they don't want to be living?

The point is, many who want to off themselves today, recover tomorrow and live a normal life after that.

There are also many who will eventually attempt suicide and succeed.  

How do you separate these two types of people?  How do you know which to treat and which to whack?  

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Already, you've moved on from terminally ill people to relatively healthy people.  Now its the ill person can only make the decision, then it'll be a spouse can make the decision, then family and finally the government.

:D

Jeff Foxworthy:  And life insurance is another form of protection. That’s just kind of a fine line deal, because you want to have enough of it, god forbid you do pass earlier,  every guy I think has a mental image of his family sitting around the table with a turkey leg in each hand going ♪♪ He was a jolly good fellow ♪♪. But you don’t want to have so much insurance that you actually put a bounty on your own head. I don’t want to see my wife down at the hospital going “Pull the plug.” “Mrs. Foxworthy, it’s only a sprained ankle.” “I don’t care, pull the plug. I know him, and he wouldn’t want to limp around like that. Just put him down, go on, put him down.”

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
nope, just a proponent of personal autonomy. The scenarios you outlined are the exact opposite; the point is not the government, your family nor your spouse should have any say on what people do to and with their own bodies unless there's risk to another party

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
:D

Jeff Foxworthy:  And life insurance is another form of protection. That’s just kind of a fine line deal, because you want to have enough of it, god forbid you do pass earlier,  every guy I think has a mental image of his family sitting around the table with a turkey leg in each hand going ♪♪ He was a jolly good fellow ♪♪. But you don’t want to have so much insurance that you actually put a bounty on your own head. I don’t want to see my wife down at the hospital going “Pull the plug.” “Mrs. Foxworthy, it’s only a sprained ankle.” “I don’t care, pull the plug. I know him, and he wouldn’t want to limp around like that. Just put him down, go on, put him down.”

bigkid

• Getbig IV
nope, just a proponent of personal autonomy. The scenarios you outlined are the exact opposite; the point is not the government, your family nor your spouse should have any say on what people do to and with their own bodies unless there's risk to another party
As am I.  I hate when they try to ban soda or trans fats or any of that stuff. If people want to ruin their health, I don't really care.  This is not a particular topic that I even feel strongly about.  What I outlined was the slippery slope, once you crack that door.  A lot of noble, well intentioned things have turned disastrous over time. 50 years from now we'll have government run healthcare with them deciding who lives and who dies.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
Would you feel the same way if it were your loved one, wife, son, daughter, etc., suffering from depression?

What about corrupt doctors, hospital staff assisting with suicide of depressed organ donors instead of finding ways to help them live?
Most, especially on this board would tell someone clinically and severely depressed to snap out of it, stop whining and being depressed, what you need is a good kick in the ass as a real job. I'm depressed the Lions lost, go get laid bitch.

Then condemn the person if they decide to end it. Condemned alive, condemned dead. Mental illness is horribly misunderstood by the general public, and MUCH of this are loser, assholes on full ssi disability for anxiety and depression because we still cannot really prove them medically YET. And tons of pay to play doctors that want the SSI reimbursment. I've met dudes playing basketball in the park on full ssi disability for anxiety.

Its ruined the credibility of true mental illness and the 10% or whatever that have REAL, treatment resistant depression or worse feel very abandoned by society, even family.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
On October 27, 1997, Oregon enacted the Death with Dignity Act which allows terminally-ill Oregonians to end their lives through the voluntary self-administration of lethal medications, expressly prescribed by a physician for that purpose. What took Maryland so long?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
On October 27, 1997, Oregon enacted the Death with Dignity Act which allows terminally-ill Oregonians to end their lives through the voluntary self-administration of lethal medications, expressly prescribed by a physician for that purpose. What took Maryland so long?

What's taking you so long?

LOL...I kid, I kid.    :D

Notomorrow

• Getbig IV
I live in Guadalajara Mexico most of the year and there is a whole industry of sick elderly people...including terminal, painful agonizing cancer that have to fly to Mexico because here some people are so poor they cant afford a vet and have to put their own pets down so phentobarbitol(lethal injection) can be obtained for veterinary use. Some of the old people are afraid of injection, cant get compassionate care so they devised a system of drinking the bottle and will often drink 2 bottles just to be sure. As you guys know, injectables are not be be consumed orally and although 2 bottles 95% of the time does the trick..some old people wake up uncontrollably vomiting in an emergency room.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V

Depression is not a terminal illness, and wouldn't qualify.. but I have known one or two people who suffered from depression, bi polar disorder, some other mental illness that kept them literally bedridden or in their homes with the curtains drawn for years. I have a close relative that for the last 20 years has had one medical issue after another, suffers from depression, barely exists.. Honestly I am somewhat surprised she hasn't killed herself because her existence is pretty miserable. If she called me tonight and said she was going to participate in medically supervised suicide I would completely understand