Author Topic: Black Workers Describe Details Of 'Living Hell' at UPS Center  (Read 6125 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
Black workers describe details of 'living hell' at UPS center in Ohio

By Mallory Simon and Sara Sidner, CNN

Pamela Camper cries herself to sleep at night.
That's how hard she says it is for an African-American to work at the UPS facility in Maumee, Ohio. She's been there for 30 years, but the racist atmosphere still feels like the 1960s, she says.
Pamela Camper is still only part time, though shes been at UPS for 30 years.  I've been overlooked.

Pamela Camper is still only part time, though she's been at UPS for 30 years. "I've been overlooked."
"I work with employees that I know that don't like my skin color, but yet, and still I have to deal with it," Camper says.

She says she reported it under UPS's zero-tolerance policy, but the driver was not disciplined.
Now, she calls working at the UPS facility "a living hell."
Camper and 18 other workers at the same center have filed a lawsuit against the parcel delivery company alleging racial harassment and discrimination. They also allege management either ignored or encouraged the behavior.

Sixteen of 19 UPS workers who are suing the company gathered at a law office to outline their claims.
Sixteen of the 19 workers suing UPS gathered and shared how they all felt neglected at the company because they were black, and that they were passed over for jobs because of the color of their skin.
"I've been here for 30 years," Camper says. "I've had problems getting promoted because of the color of my skin. I've worked in different departments and yet I'm still part time."
She cares for her 86-year-old mother and has been part time her entire three decades at UPS, she says.

The group of 16 says nobody took their complaints about any of these issues seriously. All said they had experienced or been aware of harassment based on race at the plant. All 16 also felt that nothing would change, even with the lawsuit.

Camper calls working at the UPS center demeaning -- 30 years of hurtful frustration. She began crying as she explained the pain and frustration she says she has endured.
She and others stayed because they needed and wanted a good job.
"You're fighting just to exist. Just to be able to walk inside a facility and feel like, you know what, I'm important. I belong here," she says.
It cuts just as deep for Lino.

He has one request for his company: "To treat me like I'm a grown man, not a little boy, to treat me like I earned my job, my 25 years," Lino says, growing emotional.

"I've been working there since I was 18, one week out of high school, and still get treated like I'm nothing every day.
"I just want to work, pay my bills, take care of my kids, my wife."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/14/us/ohio-black-workers-sue-ups/index.html

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: Black Workers Describe Details Of 'Living Hell' at UPS Center
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 09:07:13 AM »
It’s so horrible yet she stayed there for 30 years🤔

Probably some lawyer got in their ear and told them they could get paid shaking down UPS.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 09:11:53 AM »
“I work with employees that don’t like my skin color and I have to deal with it”Yes you do,no one like everyone so people might not like you because of color,religion,looks,sex,personality etc... who cares,everyone deals with it.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »
LOL I stopped after racist.

UPS has been very progressive advancing minorities and women to positions of authority and many times its not merit based.

There's no doubt her job is  physical (and very grueling during the holiday season), especially if she's at a larger distribution hub, but after 30 years she is well taken care of. She has full health insurance, earns over $30 an hour (that she legitimately earned during her time there), has a pension and has one of the easier loading jobs in her hub.

Its not uncommon for people to stay with the company at that position for their whole career because you can make reasonable money with great benefits for part time work. And there's usually 4/7 months out the year you're able to work 40-60 hours a week if you want.

There's no question she's had opportunities for advancement, especially within the last 10 years. But it's likely she would have had to move, switch her schedule and become full time.  

She would have been offered a driver position multiple times throughout her tenure, it's more than likely she couldn't hack it at that job and that's what limited her advancement opportunities. Its information that is tracked and documented, via the company and the union. It will be easy to prove why she didn't move on.

Good for her for making it 30 years but shame on her for this publicity stunt.

UPS is a good company if you dont mind working. That's not racist.

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 09:37:49 AM »
Been there 30 years.
Worked in different departments
Always been part time
Cares for elderly relative part time
Can tell that others don't like her because of her skin color.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 09:52:18 AM »
 :D

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 10:39:47 AM »
My buddy has worked there (as his 2nd job) for 25 years. He's white (well, Italian) says they treat everyone shitty.
White's included... Slave shop... ONly he's a worker (works a full time job 2nd shift, drives right over to UPS and does the slave labor.

many blacks dont even know what that is. (2 jobs??? Work hard??? Not complain???).

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 10:44:39 AM »
My buddy has worked there (as his 2nd job) for 25 years. He's white (well, Italian) says they treat everyone shitty.
White's included... Slave shop... ONly he's a worker (works a full time job 2nd shift, drives right over to UPS and does the slave labor.

many blacks dont even know what that is. (2 jobs??? Work hard??? Not complain???).

This.

It's a stressful environment for everyone. Drivers are on edge and on a deadline as is everyone else.  People are behind work the moment you show up.  No one has time to be encouraging or thankful.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 10:45:41 AM »

People tend to have a romantic notion that their employer cares about them, but the same people would leave in a second if presented with a better offer.

They don’t give a fuck about you and you don’t give a fuck about them. Once you accept this reality life is a lot easier.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 10:50:16 AM »

Yep, good money if you make it to a driver but otherwise most hate the job (even the drivers do but at least compensated well).

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 10:52:07 AM »
Yep, good money if you make it to a driver but otherwise most hate the job (even the drivers do but at least compensated well).

Very few people grow up wanting to work for UPS. It’s a job you do for money and nothing more.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 10:59:54 AM »
"I've been working there since I was 18, one week out of high school, and still get treated like I'm nothing every day.

Geesh, am I missing something? They aren't getting paid to be there or what? Employment is voluntary. Fuck your feelings - everybody who works for someone hates their boss and company.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 11:07:31 AM »

Geesh, am I missing something? They aren't getting paid to be there or what? Employment is voluntary. Fuck your feelings - everybody who works for someone hates their boss and company.

Seems like a lot of long time employees. I’m guessing that they already qualify for a pension. That’s usually when people make these claims.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 11:33:51 AM »
Seems like a lot of long time employees. I’m guessing that they already qualify for a pension. That’s usually when people make these claims.

Exactly- padding their retirement- with a nice cut of the lawsuit going to the ambulance chasers who came up with the scheme...

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 12:02:19 PM »
blacks r constantly under attack... they cant even breath in peace:

'researchers found that air pollution is disproportionately caused by white Americans' consumption of goods and services, but disproportionately inhaled by black and Hispanic Americans'

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/03/11/702348935/study-finds-racial-gap-between-who-causes-air-pollution-and-who-breathes-it

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 12:07:05 PM »

'researchers found that air pollution is disproportionately caused by white Americans' consumption of goods and services, but disproportionately inhaled by black and Hispanic Americans'

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/03/11/702348935/study-finds-racial-gap-between-who-causes-air-pollution-and-who-breathes-it

LMAO.. I know, isnt it so fucking retarded. The gun smoke alone in Chicago contributes to their pollution... Libtards  ::)

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 12:12:47 PM »
People tend to have a romantic notion that their employer cares about them, but the same people would leave in a second if presented with a better offer.

They don’t give a fuck about you and you don’t give a fuck about them. Once you accept this reality life is a lot easier.
Yes it does make life a lot easier.  I hated working for companies that were always having family activities, company lunches, an on sight gym, parties, etc.  I don't want that job to take up my whole life just 8 hours.  That employer who is doing all this nice stuff for you now will cut your ass anytime.  My time at work was for 1 purpose.....a paycheck.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 01:38:16 PM »

"I work with employees that I know that don't like my skin color, but yet, and still I have to deal with it," Camper says.

I suppose it never occurred to her that people don't like her because she is an obnoxious bitch.

It's much easier to declare that everyone who doesn't kiss your dimply black ass is a racist.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 01:44:14 PM »
i worked there many years ago for about a month as a package handler, easily the most miserable thankless job i ever had

i would say 80% of the people working there were unhinged and ready to snap at any moment

E
E

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 02:01:50 PM »
i worked there many years ago for about a month as a package handler, easily the most miserable thankless job i ever had

i would say 80% of the people working there were unhinged and ready to snap at any moment

E
I know several people who worked for UPS a short time and one guy who retired there who was in charge of washing the trucks every night (that really is a job there).  All of them were just like you said....ready to snap at any moment.  Good summer or Christmas season job for a young/college kid though.

Tennisballz

• Getbig IV
  • You CANNOT be serious!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 05:21:25 PM »

One of the most idiotic articles I've ever read.  Although it doesn't surprise me.  The end is nigh.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 05:32:12 PM »
She's incapable of telling the truth. Every word she utters is a lie. That is her nature. 
a

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 07:47:26 PM »
I know several people who worked for UPS a short time and one guy who retired there who was in charge of washing the trucks every night (that really is a job there).  All of them were just like you said....ready to snap at any moment.  Good summer or Christmas season job for a young/college kid though.

And yet...in the midwest UPS is a coveted job with benefits and above average pay. Let's face it a majority of the population is averse to good honest work. That why diesel mechanics and HVAC people make tons of money.

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2019, 08:31:56 PM »

And yet...in the midwest UPS is a coveted job with benefits and above average pay. Let's face it a majority of the population is averse to good honest work. That why diesel mechanics and HVAC people make tons of money.

I knew a guy I chat with at the gym once in a while worked for a shipping company.  Tonight I asked him if he worked for FE or UPS, and he answered UPS. 
I asked "did you hear about the lawsuit the group of like 10-15 blacks are bringing against the company?"   
He looked at me shocked, and replied "No, there's never any issues.  It's a great company to work for, just a shitty job.  What are they suing for?" 
I said "they're black.."
He replied "I heard you, but why?"

That told me all I needed to know about the validity of this claim against UPS.

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 07:47:34 AM »
Most African Americans are a combination of paranoia, hyper sensitivity and dumbness. This is a terrible mix of attributes. They see racism everywhere usually where it doesn't exist. In the mid 60's we started treating them like helpless children and that's what they have become.