Author Topic: Motivation in sport  (Read 1322 times)

denarii

• Getbig V
Motivation in sport
« on: March 19, 2019, 05:09:41 AM »
So if you arent a mentalist like CSWOL how do you motivate yourself to succeed?

This is an interesting book drawing on interviews of Matt Pincent, Chrissie Wellington and many others on motivation, particularly during years of training. For bodybuilding between the intensity of each training session and then dieting (which I am bad at) psychology is a key factor, and robots like Dorian and Ronnie had a clear advantage in it.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/18/annie-vernon-olympic-gb-rowing-silver-interview-donald-mcrae

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
Re: Motivation in sport
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 05:58:53 AM »
You have to have a neuroses of some kind to push yourself to the extent of these people.

If you are a well adjusted, content person you won't push yourself like them.  In other words, if you feel good about yourself, why would you take harmful drugs to change yourself?

Bodybuilders are an insecure lot, usually have self-image issues of some kind, dislike themselves.

Poster boy for this would be Rich Piana.

Arnold - father issues, insecurity
Ronnie - mental case, hard background
Dorian - hardscrabble background, father died when he was young.
Ferrigno - deafness, insecurity, father issues
Danny Padilla - shortness, insecurity
Etc.

dan18

• Getbig V
  • I DID WHAT I DID BECAUSE I DO WHAT I WANT.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 06:00:11 AM »
So if you arent a mentalist like CSWOL how do you motivate yourself to succeed?

This is an interesting book drawing on interviews of Matt Pincent, Chrissie Wellington and many others on motivation, particularly during years of training. For bodybuilding between the intensity of each training session and then dieting (which I am bad at) psychology is a key factor, and robots like Dorian and Ronnie had a clear advantage in it.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/18/annie-vernon-olympic-gb-rowing-silver-interview-donald-mcrae

Easy I look at all the people around me and say '' damn I never what to look that way'' or just take a trip to the beach
p

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 07:16:57 AM »
You have to have a neuroses of some kind to push yourself to the extent of these people.

If you are a well adjusted, content person you won't push yourself like them.  In other words, if you feel good about yourself, why would you take harmful drugs to change yourself?

Bodybuilders are an insecure lot, usually have self-image issues of some kind, dislike themselves.

Etc.

Bob Chic?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 09:13:23 AM »
Bob Chic?

Ego too big to contain his normal self which led him to expand himself through bodybuilding.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:15:54 AM »

Etc.

True point.  I think this true for most people who are driven to succeed in anything.  Mentally secure, healthy people are happy so there is no need to overcompensate at least this is what I tell myself when realizing I am not great at anything.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 02:22:27 PM »
i can think of quite a few reasons.

it's fun. people to stuff that is fun.

it pay the bills. people do stuff that pay the bills.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 03:35:02 PM »
Athletes are usually the worst people as well. Most of them are egocentric assholes who’d sell their mother for success. There are exceptions of course. I never understood public’s obsession with athletes. I think it’s not suitable for an adult male to be a fan. This automatically puts that person in a submissive state.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 03:39:38 PM »
Athletes are usually the worst people as well. Most of them are egocentric assholes who’d sell their mother for success. There are exceptions of course. I never understood public’s obsession with athletes. I think it’s not suitable for an adult male to be a fan. This automatically puts that person in a submissive state.
It is weird seeing fat guys decked out in their favorite college teams apparel (when they didn't even attend college) debating whose team is best.  Even weirder are grown men stressing out over which high school kids are going to choose their college team during recruiting season.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 03:43:13 PM »
youre starting to sound like women.

there's something unmanly about not getting sports.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 03:44:08 PM »
youre starting to sound like women.

there's something unmanly about not getting sports.
I get sports and bet daily.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 05:03:41 PM »
also it is a lot of mind over matter and positive affirmations too

someone kick in the henry food quote. you become what you believe  - so you need to mentally tell yourself you are a champion well before you even compete.

think backwards - already think you won the contest - what would Mr USA do? well thinking backwards, he would pose for hours every day, what would Mr USA eat? fish and eggs, what would Mr USA do... go out and drink or stay inside?

I have already told myself i will win Nationals in Miami - mens tall classic 11/22/2019. ive already told my gf, ive looked at hotels in the area. i thought about the feeling when i do win as too.  

mindset is so key - you have to train your mind alongside your front double bicep

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 05:06:44 PM »
also it is a lot of mind over matter and positive affirmations too

someone kick in the henry food quote. you become what you believe  - so you need to mentally tell yourself you are a champion well before you even compete.

think backwards - already think you won the contest - what would Mr USA do? well thinking backwards, he would pose for hours every day, what would Mr USA eat? fish and eggs, what would Mr USA do... go out and drink or stay inside?

I have already told myself i will win Nationals in Miami - mens tall classic 11/22/2019. ive already told my gf, ive looked at hotels in the area. i thought about the feeling when i do win as too. 

mindset is so key - you have to train your mind alongside your front double bicep

Have you ever read an of Peter C. Siegel's books or watched his videos on YouTube?  He's dead now but he worked with a lot of bodybuilders including Lee Haney as well as many pro and Olympic sports athletes.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 05:11:39 PM »
Have you ever read an of Peter C. Siegel's books or watched his videos on YouTube?  He's dead now but he worked with a lot of bodybuilders including Lee Haney as well as many pro and Olympic sports athletes.

i haven't but i will check him out. i love that stuff.

wayne dyer is an old school guy I follow. jon wooden, henry food -

best book i can recommend is a simple read -  best seller - The Magic of Thinking Big - you need to think beyond your goals.

another reason i do so much fkin hot yoga. i am going to 30 minutes to the 6pm class.  it is 80-90 minutes to just focus on yourself, your breathing, your thoughts, no cell phones, no TV etc etc etc.  

when there is some super hot puss in the evening classes your mind will adjust a little  :P ;D

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »
i haven't but i will check him out. i love that stuff.

wayne dyer is an old school guy I follow. jon wooden, henry food -

best book i can recommend is a simple read -  best seller - The Magic of Thinking Big - you need to think beyond your goals.

another reason i do so much fkin hot yoga. i am going to 30 minutes to the 6pm class.  it is 80-90 minutes to just focus on yourself, your breathing, your thoughts, no cell phones, no TV etc etc etc.  

when there is some super hot puss in the evening classes your mind will adjust a little  :P ;D

Tony Robbins! ;D

NLP and Silva Mind Method are 2 of the best mental methods for success out there.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 06:13:33 PM »

Etc.

The majority of people who bodybuild are insecure. They want to face the world in a gorrila suit. That's one of the many reasons steroids are so addictive. 

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 06:29:28 PM »
please stop talking about wayne dyer and other morons like him. its enough that dave palumbo does it.

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 09:31:33 PM »
It is weird seeing fat guys decked out in their favorite college teams apparel (when they didn't even attend college) debating whose team is best.  Even weirder are grown men stressing out over which high school kids are going to choose their college team during recruiting season.

I agree, this behavior is bothersome for real alphas.

The only exception for fandom, if you'd even call it that but I like to think of it as more of art I appreciation, is if these athletes get shredded, oiled and thonged while posing on stage under cosmetic lighting to a few classic Brian McKnight hits.

In this instance it's okay to roar with approval.

Also

True point.  I think this true for most people who are driven to succeed in anything.  Mentally secure, healthy people are happy so there is no need to overcompensate at least this is what I tell myself when realizing I am not great at anything.

This is funny because true.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »
Ego too big to contain his normal self which led him to expand himself through bodybuilding.

Fixed to make sense:

Ego too big for his body to contain which led him to expand himself through bodybuilding so his ego would fit inside.

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 03:50:24 PM »
The majority of people who bodybuild are insecure. They want to face the world in a gorrila suit. That's one of the many reasons steroids are so addictive. 

every human has insecure issues - we all do it is a human trait.

me and bbing? i have amazing genetics and i was an early and fast responder and have gone farther down this road. i love competing and stage. i loved golf and i love bbing.

i actually like the way i look when in im not in comp mode better.

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 03:53:11 PM »
the takeaway here is that if youre doing anything in life, it's just because you're insecure.

the only people that are not insecure are getbiggers who don't do anything.

gotcha.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 04:26:13 PM »

To make money in ways other than homosexual favors in seedy, las vegas hotels.

JustPlaneJane

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 08:37:35 PM »
Bob Chic?

The love of a good $125 velour suit?