Author Topic: 1987 Mr. Olympia DVD Review + 300 pics.  (Read 3284 times)

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
1987 Mr. Olympia DVD Review + 300 pics.
« on: April 16, 2006, 01:57:59 PM »
Check it out on my website bodybuilding pro.com
Bodybuilding Pro.com

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
Re: 1987 Mr. Olympia DVD Review + 300 pics.
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 02:01:33 PM »
REVIEW:

http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/mrolympiareport1987.html

I write so many reviews that I forgot I even reviewed this one and ended up reviewing it again:

http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/1987mrolympiadvdreview.html

PICS (courtesy of www.IFBBTV.com, made with permission from President Andy Olson):

http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/mrolympia1987

BUY IT HERE

How this beast placed behind Lee Labrada is beyond me.  He must have been placed there by the same judges who put Labrada ahead of Gary Strydom at the 1988 Olympia:

I personally don't think Lee Haney was in Gaspari's or Christian's league when it came to muscle density and conditioning at this show.  This was not a dominant victory in my opinion:

36 year old Bertil Fox was not at his best but still came in big and shredded:

Rich was pretty well exactly my age at this show (24 years and four months), and check out this physique.  Chris Dickerson said it best when talking about Rich at the 1986 Pro World when Rich was 23: "You have to be 40 to look like that and even at 40 you don't look like that."  Has there ever been any better?

I speak for Bertil Fox, Berry DeMey, and most of all John Romano when I say that Bev Francis is not my definition of femininity.  She did for female bodybuilding what Dorian did for male bodybuilding:

When are you going to take 240 out of your avatar, you must be making him uncomfortable ;D

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 02:05:32 PM »
I'll change my picture when he stops beating off to that picture of me that's almost six years old.   ;D

;D. Why was Haney off? I thought the diuretics testing year was not until 1990?  ???

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 02:07:50 PM »
I'll change my picture when he stops beating off to that picture of me that's almost six years old.   ;D

i am a little tired of that pic. just a bit weird from another guy.  until it's removed, I will let all the mods enjoy the exposure that I do :)

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 02:10:31 PM »
Bodybuilding Pro.com

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 02:12:45 PM »
Correct.  But Gaspari was so hard he honestly made Haney look like a doughboy.  I believe when they trained together Haney had a running joke that Gaspari shouldn't enter shows looking like a doughboy.

In short, Gaspari's hardness and conditioning was leaps and bounds ahead of Haney's.  Compare that with Haney's strengths (shape and size), which may have been ahead of Gaspari, but not to the degree that Gaspari's strengths were ahead of Haney's.  At least in my opinion.

In addition, Mike Christian had it all: condition, hardness AND shape.  Why Labrada beat him is beyond me.  I would have had no qualms with him winning the whole shape.  He may not have been as hard as Gaspari or as shapely as Haney, but he had a great balance, coming in 6'1 and about 250 pounds.  Labrada had no business placing ahead of him IMO.

I wonder if Mike actually thought he could win? :-\ Jay does, and it's kind of painful to watch. Surely they know how the Olympia works.

freeagain

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 02:15:51 PM »

i love watchin bodybuildin shows from the 80s ... when the male bodybuilders were awesome and aspirational and the women bodybuilders were immensely F'UCKABLE !

id have loved to have been in a sandwich with mclish and everson !  :-*

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 02:20:53 PM »
You could see the disappointment in Mike's face.  Similar to the look on Vince Taylor's face at the 2002 Mr. Olympia, although not disgusted.  More surprised for Mike, but he took it like a champ:

Poor guy. Like Jay in 2001.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 02:25:57 PM »
Awesome Pics Matt like always! Keep them coming!

Gaspari looks insane in those shots and so does Christian. Haney was also awesome.

Too bad the Olympians don't look like this anymore!

just push some weight!