Author Topic: Dairy and water retention?  (Read 3897 times)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
Dairy and water retention?
« on: August 18, 2019, 10:11:28 AM »
I've been eating greek yogurt with a scoop of whey and a sliced banana at night for a couple months now.  It's a tasty sweet treat that has a good macronutrient profile, pretty much as good as ice cream for me.

But I've noticed that I haven't really been having the definition that I've been expecting considering my diet & activity level.  After a few days without eating it, I look like I've cut 5lbs of fat.  I dont have any digestion issues with dairy and I consume plenty of whey, but I'm thinking that maybe this is causing some kind of water retention for me.  Might look into a dairy-free alternative

Anybody have any similar issues?

Army of One

• Getbig V
Re: Dairy and water retention?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 10:55:57 AM »
FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 11:12:22 AM »
Dairy usually has a lot of sodium in it which retains water.

That will be $150.  Pay the receptionist on your way out.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »
FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS

What can I say, life is good  ;D

Dairy usually has a lot of sodium in it which retains water.

That will be $150.  Pay the receptionist on your way out.

I eat plenty of sodium and it never affects me in that way.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 11:38:43 AM »

Well, you still have to pay the $150.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 12:22:04 PM »
they say there is estrogen traces in milk. Any truth to this? Scientific studies on drinking tons of milk?

Genuinly interested because I like milk in my post workout shake and here and there

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 01:01:20 PM »
I've been eating greek yogurt with a scoop of whey and a sliced banana at night for a couple months now.  It's a tasty sweet treat that has a good macronutrient profile, pretty much as good as ice cream for me.

But I've noticed that I haven't really been having the definition that I've been expecting considering my diet & activity level.  After a few days without eating it, I look like I've cut 5lbs of fat.  I dont have any digestion issues with dairy and I consume plenty of whey, but I'm thinking that maybe this is causing some kind of water retention for me.  Might look into a dairy-free alternative

dairy is good for calcium. Fatloss takes forever when losing fat the right way without restricting calories
A

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 02:12:29 PM »

U must be fatso, eating at night is dumb (night shift workers excluded) ...............

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 02:15:40 PM »
dairy is good for calcium. Fatloss takes forever when losing fat the right way without restricting calories

EUREKA !!!, dairy & calcium is marketing BS.

Fat old guys (like U) don't need milk.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 02:17:19 PM »

Sodium is only problematic when consumed with lots of carbs. Carbs induce insulin secretion which “tells” the liver to store sodium. Excess sodium in the body means more water because the body wants to keep the samo concentration of sodium at all times.
The first thing people lose when they drop carbs is water.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 02:18:25 PM »

Correct, calcium from plants has much better absorption.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 02:29:44 PM »

North American Indians never milk buffalos for dairy  ;)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 02:34:47 PM »
What`s the rest of your diet look like?

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 02:45:15 PM »

Depends on the plant and where it is grown. Spinach, for example, has so much oxalate that calcium absorption is inhibited to 5%. And any plant loaded with phytates will conversely have lower Ca absorption. The Ca level of plants depends on which soil they are grown in. Milk is a much better source of calcium.

"Calcium is an element critical to many body functions. Chronically low Ca intake decreases bone mass and increases the risk of osteoporosis. Currently, the dietary quantities of vegetables required to replace even the amount of Ca in a single glass of milk are difficult to consume on a daily basis."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3448090/

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 02:49:54 PM »
Sodium is only problematic when consumed with lots of carbs. Carbs induce insulin secretion which “tells” the liver to store sodium. Excess sodium in the body means more water because the body wants to keep the samo concentration of sodium at all times.
The first thing people lose when they drop carbs is water.

That could explain it since dairy usually has a lot of both carbs and sodium.

Good to know.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 02:53:51 PM »
North American Indians never milk buffalos for dairy  ;)

The North American Indians Pre Columbus were hardly the picture of health. Their general diet was deficient in a lot of things as research is now revealing.They should have milked buffaloes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071659/

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 03:08:01 PM »
The North American Indians Pre Columbus were hardly the picture of health. Their general diet was deficient in a lot of things as research is now revealing.They should have milked buffaloes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071659/

No, they lived a perfect, harmonious with other Indians, environmentally friendly life in an Eden until the white man came and ruined it.

IRON CROSS

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 03:53:01 PM »
No, they lived a perfect, harmonious with other Indians, environmentally friendly life in an Eden until the white man came and ruined it.

;D ;D ;D

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 03:58:57 PM »
if you want to look good at the beach - diary is fine

if you want to be diced/ripped - get rid of diary

all depends on what look you are going after

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 10:38:16 AM »
if you want to look good at the beach - diary is fine

if you want to be diced/ripped - get rid of diary

all depends on what look you are going after
THIS,,,my personal experience dont know why but after yrs of oikos/chobani greek and using a scoop of whey and baanana every day for long time as a in betwwen snack/feeding starting getting stomach issues tenfold,i think it bothered me long time but i just kept going  with it,could have been protein i used for yrs changed'blends/product or the combo.i had gas/bloating beyond belief that took me to emergency room out of nerves/uncertain of the condition i had.this was last year marc until may/june 2018 to get figured out...i eat food only with 1 shake'vegan 'after training...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 10:49:05 AM »

Caution; many dairy free substitutes are loaded with sugar.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 11:00:29 AM »

Why would someone trying to lose weight not cut calories? Most people eat more than their bodies need to to be healthy and fit. It has been my experience that simply eating smaller portions works really well for both weight reduction and maintenance. It seems as if it's not what you eat so much as the amount you consume that affects how much you weigh in the long term. Yo yo dieting is probably one of the worse things a person can do. A diet which is too restrictive is next to impossible to maintain for very long.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 12:15:45 PM »
Why would someone trying to lose weight not cut calories? Most people eat more than their bodies need to to be healthy and fit. It has been my experience that simply eating smaller portions works really well for both weight reduction and maintenance. It seems as if it's not what you eat so much as the amount you consume that affects how much you weigh in the long term. Yo yo dieting is probably one of the worse things a person can do. A diet which is too restrictive is next to impossible to maintain for very long.

Prime,

Quite a few of your posts lately make too much sense for a Getbigger.

Have you changed your meds?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 12:26:32 PM »

Fat people and old folks like me, like dairy products. Häagen-Dazs coffee and McConnell's Turkish coffee ice-cream, yum. Athena Greek yogurt with honey is one of my breakfast staples. -Had some this morning with fresh raspberries.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 12:28:54 PM »
Prime,

Quite a few of your posts lately make too much sense for a Getbigger.

Have you changed your meds?

Yes I have. A couple of weeks ago, I discontinued Trazodone after over 30 years of taking it.  :)