Author Topic: What do you think causes happiness to plummet down from 16-54, then rise after?  (Read 4282 times)

Army of One

• Getbig V

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
Interesting chart. I've never seen it before.

Perhaps it has to do with the responsibilities you start assuming at 18 years old (getting a job, gf pregnant, kids, taking student loans, mortgage)?

At 55-60 years old you hopefully have a pension, children have moved out, house is fully paid off.

Of course, I'm just speculating.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Thoughts?

The rigours of life, namely responsibilities towards others (partners + kids), the need for a career/job and the incessant need to achieve your goals prior to old age. These things take a toll on your ability to feel complete happiness.

"1"

Army of One

• Getbig V
The rigours of life, namely responsibilities towards others (partners + kids), the need for a career/job and the incessant need to achieve your goals prior to old age. These things take a toll on your ability to feel complete happiness.

"1"

I agree with the this comment and the one before, and Ive always been convinced we live life entirely the wrong way.Materialism truly is an unhappy way to live. i also think acceptance of physical decline plays a part, im sure many in mid 50s realise their looks/body are not coming back from decline and move it out of their mind.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V

"1"

Completely agree. When you get past all
that life becomes fun again.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
Retirement!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
People. They just won't leave you be. Around 54 the fat ones start dying off.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
i also think acceptance of physical decline plays a part, im sure many in mid 50s realise their looks/body are not coming back from decline and move it out of their mind.

This is true, by their mid 50's, most people are done fucking. I see guys that are happy if they get it 1x a week. The drive just isn't there anymore, they're happier talking about their new truck, etc.....

25-54 is considered the prime range in advertising. It's the span when people spend the most, follow expensive treads the most, etc....

Army of One

• Getbig V
This is true, by their mid 50's, most people are done fucking. I see guys that are happy if they get it 1x a week. The drive just isn't there anymore, they're happier talking about their new truck, etc.....

25-54 is considered the prime range in advertising. It's the span when people spend the most, follow expensive treads the most, etc....

Sex drive truly is a curse for happiness, its like a never ending path that leads to nowhere.Theres a reason why everyone was happiest before puberty.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Fixed:

This is true, by their mid 50's, most people are done fucking. I see guys that are happy if they get it 1x a week month. The drive just isn't there anymore, they're happier talking about their new truck, etc.....

Army of One

• Getbig V
Fixed:

I also wonder how much of the lack of sex drive for the male is simply because his wife is not sexually attractive anymore.Replace her with her past 18yr old self and im sure the man would be back to 5x a week sex again.

Henda

• Getbig V
Like others have already said I’d guess at increased responsibility. Not sure why the decline is at 16 though years 16 though 21 (excluding the year and a half during those times that stupidly had a lass) or so were the happiest for me left school and working but still hung around with mates all the time after work went drinking all weekend with same mates going to nightclubs trying to fuck anything that walks holidays with mates ect.

Once you and your mates start having a serious lass, buying house having kids that’s when the responsibility shit starts getting you down and instead of drinking together at weekends your doing the mundane shit that your expected to do. You have to take your work more seriously perhaps putting up with shit you’d ordinarily not tolerate as losing your income instead of meaning being hard up for a few weeks you know have a shitload to loose and have more than yourself depending on your income.

I’d expect once mortgage is paid off and kids are no longer a financial burden enjoyment of life starts picking up again, I still drink with the same mates but only a handful of times a year now, a few of us in the building game knowing we will be fucked for hard graft in another ten years plan to pay off our mortgages and work as little as needed through 40s 50s ect and spend more time down the club I’d imagine then that enjoyment life will pick up again

Griffith

• Getbig V
Hope then Despair and finally Acceptance.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Thoughts?

What do the different colors mean?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
When I was in my 50's my position was eliminated. In order to continue working for the same employer, I accepted a demotion. After three years, my wages were frozen until the annual increases caught up with what I was paid. At least I never had to take a reduction in salary. Although this was a difficult period in my working career, it paid off in the end. Never-the-less, I was quite unhappy in my 50's.

Army of One

• Getbig V

7 different surveys on 1 graph

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.

Each color represents a different survey they chose. I'm not sure it matters that much, the main thing they wanted to show is that across them all, you'll see the same mid-life dip followed by a rebound.

More here - https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/08/youll-probably-have-a-midlife-happiness-crisis-heres-why .

And the study here - https://www.nber.org/papers/w23724 .

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Each color represents a different survey they chose. I'm not sure it matters that much, the main thing they wanted to show is that across them all, you'll see the same mid-life dip followed by a rebound.

More here - https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/08/youll-probably-have-a-midlife-happiness-crisis-heres-why .

And the study here - https://www.nber.org/papers/w23724 .

Thanks. Makes sense. I should have considered that.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
The 9-5 hamster wheel/grind that most People have to do.

Combined with the realization your looks/attractiveness are going south. Past 50 you stop caring about sex as much.

Basically in two sentences I was able to dissect this mystery down to a t.

Mayday

• Getbig IV
Do the colours represent a specific generation or era?

I would suggest the relationship carries more weight than the job.

What would be interesting is to compare the baby boomers who married at 19 to the generation z (?) Who are single, tinder players, on holidays 26 weeks of the year and see how they rank happiness at age 35-40.

Thats the best comparison to compare relationship/minimal materialism vs no relationship/heavy materialism.

I would hazzard a guess and say gen z is considerably happier now but then becomes unhappy at 45-55 when suddenly they want to be married, have kids etc. Gen Z is still getting married and having kids but they are doing it much later in the lifecycle.

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
I guess everyone’s life scales differently, I feel the best now and that started at around 33. I’d attribute it to finishing my education getting settled into a career (becoming a senior partner) and now enjoying wife and kids. Also never stop training and eating healthy keep lean and jacked (B.B. related)

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
avoid the unhappy for sure.

cut them off like cancer - I have had to do that several close friends. they will drag you down.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Happiness shoots up at the thought and actual achievement of retirement. You kind of figure you’re not going to set the world on fire, so be happy with what you’ve accomplished and the people you still care about. Free time is extremely good for happiness, although some unfortunate people get stir-crazy and remain somewhat discontent.

honest

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Im currently at the bottom of that scale and responsibilities would have a lot to do with it, I think at late 40s you start thinking of retiring or slowing down but you can't and you start realising you have a while to go I have one at university, one in senior high, with university to go. I want to give them every opportunity and a good start which means I will be going for a good while yet. Just try and work in some holidays and downtime where I can to get me through.

Griffith

• Getbig V
avoid the unhappy for sure.

cut them off like cancer - I have had to do that several close friends. they will drag you down.

What did they do?