Author Topic: Is low-volume training correlated with mental instability?  (Read 15130 times)

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
Is low-volume training correlated with mental instability?
« on: November 19, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »
All of the low-volume gurus seem to have something wrong with them.

There’s a new one in town who is having meltdowns online because some disagree with him. He portrays himself, like the others to be a savior but is ignored by those who can’t see the light, almost as if he has a burden to bear. TL-DR posts reminiscent of the DC heyday. 

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: Is low-volume training correlated with mental instability?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 09:49:50 AM »

"Mike Mentzer lectures a young trainee on the wholesomeness of piss drinking and Ayn Rand while stealthy avoiding Arnold's hitmen."

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 10:02:33 AM »

There’s a new one in town who is having meltdowns online because some disagree with him. He portrays himself, like the others to be a savior but is ignored by those who can’t see the light, almost as if he has a burden to bear. TL-DR posts reminiscent of the DC heyday.  

I have found that anyone who claims to know everything, knows very little. It doesn't matter what the subject is. Arrogance is a psychological shield protecting the inner child within.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 11:19:07 AM »
Low volume training combined with meth use causes mentzer-instability.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 06:31:43 PM »
Sometimes I wish I never was influenced by Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer. While I still use low volume training I'm beginning to realize too late in life that you need to use volume too. An exclusive diet of low volume will get you strong and muscular but to stimulate all muscle optimally you need volume as in muscular endurance training through sets as well as heavy weight low set training cycles.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 01:06:33 AM »
You can get strong using low volume

But to reach your potential in size, you need higher volume

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 01:16:50 AM »
Sometimes I wish I never was influenced by Arthur Jones and Mike Mentzer. While I still use low volume training I'm beginning to realize too late in life that you need to use volume too. An exclusive diet of low volume will get you strong and muscular but to stimulate all muscle optimally you need volume as in muscular endurance training through sets as well as heavy weight low set training cycles.

But do you think it's worth it? The "additional" gains you think you would have made compensate for the investment of more of your life? Have you tried additional volume?
I was never a good responder no matter what protocol I used. It didn't matter if I trained 6,5,4,3 times a week. 10 sets, 5 sets, two sets. I've noticed no difference in my physique training two times per week other than having more time to do other things. So I train two times/week and read, play chess more, spend time with family, and owning tiny tits on GetBig  ;) .

That was probably one of my main impetus for me cutting back so drastically on volume. I wasn't going to looked jacked no matter what I did so why bother? At least I didn't get burned out and have been training with weights nonstop for 48 years. My main goal now is to able to climb a flight of stairs without passing out and not having a pot belly.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 03:27:59 AM »

Correlation vs. Causation

Are crazy people attracted to brutal training or does brutal training create crazy people?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 03:49:59 AM »

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 03:52:15 AM »
The oldtimers from the 40s and early 50s knew how to train without drugs.

Look to their routines for advices if you are a natty.

Reeves, early Reg Park, Eiferman, Grimek, Clancy Ross, the old York routines, etc.

Don't use a pre-contest routine for general training.

Any training regimen devised during the drug era is not optimal for nattys.  Mentzer was on a load of drugs.

Yates was on a load of drugs.  Arnold was on drugs.  Why would you think you can train like them if you are not on drugs?

If you are a drug user then you can have success with just about any training routine.

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 04:04:16 AM »
Correlation vs. Causation

Are crazy people attracted to brutal training or does brutal training create crazy people?

Great question! I think there’s something to it. Look at how mellow Cutler is and then look at the online meltdowns of low volume gurus.

ponal

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 04:08:47 AM »
But do you think it's worth it? The "additional" gains you think you would have made compensate for the investment of more of your life? Have you tried additional volume?
I was never a good responder no matter what protocol I used. It didn't matter if I trained 6,5,4,3 times a week. 10 sets, 5 sets, two sets. I've noticed no difference in my physique training two times per week other than having more time to do other things. So I train two times/week and read, play chess more, spend time with family, and owning tiny tits on GetBig  ;) .

That was probably one of my main impetus for me cutting back so drastically on volume. I wasn't going to looked jacked no matter what I did so why bother? At least I didn't get burned out and have been training with weights nonstop for 48 years. My main goal now is to able to climb a flight of stairs without passing out and not having a pot belly.

you left out the BJJ  ::)

ponal

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 04:14:13 AM »
The oldtimers from the 40s and early 50s knew how to train without drugs.

Look to their routines for advices if you are a natty.

Reeves, early Reg Park, Eiferman, Grimek, Clancy Ross, the old York routines, etc.

Don't use a pre-contest routine for general training.

Any training regimen devised during the drug era is not optimal for nattys.  Mentzer was on a load of drugs.

Yates was on a load of drugs.  Arnold was on drugs.  Why would you think you can train like them if you are not on drugs?

If you are a drug user then you can have success with just about any training routine.

I would agree with you & anyone over 40 who hammers away at their Joints Heavy Duty style is a complete ass. Feed the muscles with blood chase the pump. Higher Reps squeezing & Feeling the muscles. you know it makes sense !

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 04:29:05 AM »
I would agree with you & anyone over 40 who hammers away at their Joints Heavy Duty style is a complete ass. Feed the muscles with blood chase the pump. Higher Reps squeezing & Feeling the muscles. you know it makes sense !

Check out my training logs on the Y page.  44 and year in year out great shape.  Agree with you 10000% on the heavy duty nonsense and making priority volume.  So stupid people chasing 1 rep maxes etc.  Total stupid shit.   

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2019, 04:47:36 AM »

And surely they would have built a foundation and basically all the muscle they're going to have in their 20's and 30's anyway.

The focus is then more on maintaining.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2019, 04:49:26 AM »
You can still train heavy at older ages but you have to use common sense and allow adequate recovery time.

Volume training can wear you down also and wreck your joints.

Many volume training bodybuilders from the past have had hip, knee and shoulder replacements.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 04:53:10 AM »
You can still train heavy at older ages but you have to use common sense and allow adequate recovery time.

Many volume training bodybuilders from the past have had hip, knee and shoulder replacements.
Yes, the shoulders are not meant to carry heavy weights for long periods of time.  20 Years ago Matt Furey had people doing "Combat Conditioning" which consisted of doing thousands of Hindu pushups and squats daily.  The people who followed those routines for years are wrecked now.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 05:50:31 AM »
Yes, the shoulders are not meant to carry heavy weights for long periods of time.  20 Years ago Matt Furey had people doing "Combat Conditioning" which consisted of doing thousands of Hindu pushups and squats daily.  The people who followed those routines for years are wrecked now.

overhead pressing is going to destroy your shoulders sooner or later, when has homo sapien ever had to push directly overhead in nature?
delts are for pushing away and down from the body and raising the arms out to the sides.

Pecs are teh same, they are only fully contracted when your hands are at your waist

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 05:55:29 AM »

I will counter this by saying that Dorian’s body is so damaged from his low-volume, high-intensity training that he doesn’t even lift anymore

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 06:47:32 AM »
I will counter this by saying that Dorian’s body is so damaged from his low-volume, high-intensity training that he doesn’t even lift anymore

Yates is at the extreme end of the scale.

a_pupil

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 06:54:45 AM »

who?

Has anyone else taken the mantel from Mr rinsed beef and carb cutoffs?

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 07:04:52 AM »
overhead pressing is going to destroy your shoulders sooner or later, when has homo sapien ever had to push directly overhead in nature?
delts are for pushing away and down from the body and raising the arms out to the sides.

Pecs are teh same, they are only fully contracted when your hands are at your waist

Exactly right. No need to do overhead pressing at all.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 07:37:28 AM »
you left out the BJJ  ::)

Ah, still firmly planted in your head. A day doesn't go by where you are not thinking about me and following around this board.

Complete and utter ownage.   

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2019, 07:41:28 AM »

LMAO! Someone.like you giving training advise.
"Chase the pump." Ba ha ha! Oh brother....

ponal

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2019, 08:47:18 AM »

Blah.. Blah.. Blah. You're the King of bro science this must be why we see more older people doing high reps and frequent training.
Most older lifters can't do heavy weights or heavy duty bullshit. Maybe you're super man. Look at mentzer later on both brothers or even yates. They could not train like that for ever. Your average guy in the Gym who has worked hard all his life has most often injuries. Back or knees. But Let's get them on heavy duty.. 😆