Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
November 28, 2014, 11:15:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO TO KNOW THE SECRET OF LIFE?  (Read 14436 times)
Man of Steel
Getbig V

Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15

« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2014, 02:08:30 PM »

Ironic.... I was just having a discussion with someone the other day about arguing politics and religion. Someone said "name one accomplishment Obama had done in his presidency that wasn't horrific." So the person started naming some things. With each thing offered, the other guy refused to accept it. So at the end of an hour one guy was still convinced Obama hadn't done one good thing and the other guy was convinced his buddy was closed minded and refuses to admit he's wrong. Kind of reminded me of an atheist and a christian arguing over contradictions or prophecies in the bible. It's pointless.        

All a believer can do when speaking to an atheist is try and understand their perspective, give insights into objections they have, answer questions where able and simply demonstrate that they represent Christ.  

The discussion can feel pointless to some, but I don't speak about my faith hoping to convert an atheist to Christ.  Now, if that happens then awesome, but I'm under no delusion that it will....firm choices have been made.  

I'm speaking to those that haven't made a choice and that aren't speaking because they may not know what to say.  Atheists and agnostics are at the forefront of most discussion because they have made a definite choice about God and choose to voice it and engage theists.  I use those dialogues as opportunities to provide the other side of the coin - the Christian answer to the atheist question.  I'm not always successful, but I learn as I go.
Report to moderator   Logged

andreisdaman
Getbig V

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »

Ironic.... I was just having a discussion with someone the other day about arguing politics and religion. Someone said "name one accomplishment Obama had done in his presidency that wasn't horrific." So the person started naming some things. With each thing offered, the other guy refused to accept it. So at the end of an hour one guy was still convinced Obama hadn't done one good thing and the other guy was convinced his buddy was closed minded and refuses to admit he's wrong. Kind of reminded me of an atheist and a christian arguing over contradictions or prophecies in the bible. It's pointless.       

Good point....most people in today's America are so close-minded that no one will concede their point of view.....back in teh old days, people's opinions would change or evolve when exposed to more information......there was more critical thinking.....now its become an us vs them thing and arguments now get no where and nothing is accomplished...it takes all the fun and joy out of debate and the debate just becomes tedious and a time-waster.
Man of Steel
Getbig V

Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2014, 03:17:34 PM »

Good point....most people in today's America are so close-minded that no one will concede their point of view.....back in teh old days, people's opinions would change or evolve when exposed to more information......there was more critical thinking.....now its become an us vs them thing and arguments now get no where and nothing is accomplished...it takes all the fun and joy out of debate and the debate just becomes tedious and a time-waster.

What period of time do you refer to when you note "the old days"?  What new information are you referring to?

When it comes to religious discussion some of the points have been raised and discussed for thousands of years.  

New generations reaching the same conclusions as past generations and often raising objections that have often been put to bed by past generations.  

Religious folks are continually labeled as narrow-minded, but when a person experiences the risen Christ in their life they realize other gods are false, that Christ rose from the dead.  No other world religion or cult has a resurrected God like Jesus Christ.   Christians in particular are narrow minded because Christ is the narrow gate.

Matthew 7:13-14
13 “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. 14 But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.

BigRo
Competitors
Getbig IV

I am that I am

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2014, 03:29:16 PM »

Christians can be narrow minded, Christ is not.

Agnostic007
Getbig IV

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2014, 12:53:04 PM »

What period of time do you refer to when you note "the old days"?  What new information are you referring to?

When it comes to religious discussion some of the points have been raised and discussed for thousands of years.  

New generations reaching the same conclusions as past generations and often raising objections that have often been put to bed by past generations.  

Religious folks are continually labeled as narrow-minded, but when a person experiences the risen Christ in their life they realize other gods are false, that Christ rose from the dead.  No other world religion or cult has a resurrected God like Jesus Christ.   Christians in particular are narrow minded because Christ is the narrow gate.

Matthew 7:13-14
13 “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. 14 But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.

Interesting.. you seem to put a lot of stock in "no other world religion or cult has a resurrected God like Jesus Christ". From an outsider point of view...it begs the question "so? why is that better than a religion without a resurrected god? Why is that different than the religions of the past like Mithraism that had a very similar resurrected god story that predateds Christianity?" 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!