Author Topic: Mr. Olympia - Sold - To Wings of Strength - AMI is out  (Read 11794 times)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
Re: Mr. Olympia Sold
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2020, 09:56:32 PM »
Nothing against the Chick, but this crazy bastard took the mic at a British GP once and the crowd loved him (is he even still with us..?)

I believe so.  He was a few months ago, at least [last I checked was then].

I thought for a second that the writing on the bottom of his photo said "Dead Pool"!  Rather than "Old school".

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: Mr. Olympia Sold - To Wings of Strength - AMI is out
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2020, 04:48:15 AM »
Let's hope this is the end of the line for Ice Machine Bobby.

Huzzah, indeed brother!

The Scott

• Getbig V
Re: Mr. Olympia Sold
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2020, 04:51:07 AM »
Nothing against the Chick, but this crazy bastard took the mic at a British GP once and the crowd loved him (is he even still with us..?)

..."the Chick".

Nearly spewed my Cherrios and Raisin Bran with that one, lad!   ;D ;D

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
Re: Mr. Olympia Sold - To Wings of Strength - AMI is out
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »
“Wings of Strength” such a queer name

I bet this new owner of the Olympia is into men with muscles

LMV

• Getbig III
  • Time Out
Re: Mr. Olympia - Sold - To Wings of Strength - AMI is out
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2020, 10:33:04 AM »

strange, can't remember approving this transaction

Dieter

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 05:33:12 AM »
Jake Woods' Digitalmuscle.com averages only 6000-7000 visitors a month, except for September when they did the Olympia webcast.

Their DigitalmuscleTV Youtube channel isn't exactly tearing it up either, only 18,500 subs. Nicks Strength and Power has 805,000 by comparison.

Wow, some media empire the guy has. He must have paid a small pittance for these properties. It just shows how far bodybuilding has fallen.

They needed a real media savvy company like IMG to buy it for the TV potential. This Woods guy a small time two-bit player who will never take it to that level.

A dark day for bodybuilding.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 05:53:05 AM »
Jake Woods' Digitalmuscle.com averages only 6000-7000 visitors a month, except for September when they did the Olympia webcast.

Their DigitalmuscleTV Youtube channel isn't exactly tearing it up either, only 18,500 subs. Nicks Strength and Power has 805,000 by comparison.

Wow, some media empire the guy has. He must have paid a small pittance for these properties. It just shows how far bodybuilding has fallen.

They needed a real media savvy company like IMG to buy it for the TV potential. This Woods guy a small time two-bit player who will never take it to that level.

A dark day for bodybuilding.

Schmoes, by virtue of Mother Nature's wisdom, don't usually reproduce.  Ergo, the pool has dwindled down to more of a puddle.    This goes for either of the two types of schmoes.  Both kinds of Schmoemosexuals, i.e., the ones that prefer sweaty menz and their "hetero" version that prefers feMales.  The former don't make babies and the latter don't because getting plowed with a strap-on by hirsute woMan pretty much guarantees the same results.  No offspring.

The world knows the truth and outside of some weirdo fetishists like the Gayor of Bodybuilding and the few family members willing to put up with their relatives drug habits (and worse), no one really gives a poo about this stuff.

Bodybuilding began it's death spiral around 1984 or so.   It's been something of a "floater" for a few decades now but the Tidy Bowl swirl is inevitable.  Good riddance. Perhaps it can make a comeback instead of a cumback.  It's not about health and  hasn't been for decades. 

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 07:40:56 AM »
i would be willing to bet he did not pay a ton for the rights to the olympia, ami never made money on this shit and decided to get out.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 08:52:36 AM »
SCOTT, I find it difficult to agree with ya.

Bodybuilding events or whatever you choose to call those events ..... and the participants within them ....  are undergoing a world-wide expansion.

I'm not an Olympia fan nor even a fan of 'less esteemed' bodybuilding events .... so I cannot say that these individual events have been improving nor un-improving these past few years .... but the number of individuals who lift or want to lift heavy things ... and see improvements when they look in a mirror ... has increased by anyone's imagination.

And now the NPC is taking full advantage of those 'heavy thing - mirror looking' lifters and has initiated the new  NPC INTERNATIONAL which by definition means that the NPC will accept world-wide membership from a small percentage of heavy lifters who have a desire to show what they have accomplished in a Speedo looking uniform.

That new membership could possibly increase the NPC 'club'  by 1,220,014 (estimated figure), yearly dues paying heavy lifters ... some of whom will get a pro card and pay yearly membership fees to the IFB Pro League!

And all that cash flows up-hill!

So you can call it what you want to call it ... but I'd call it one hell of a profitable venture for 'Schmoes' (respectfully stated) throughout the universe!

Can you name any other amateur, international, organization  outside of this new International NPC which has the eyes of the world upon it and a potential dues-paying world-wide membership of many millions?

Someone up that has been thinking very wisely!

And the mere fact that Jake is now associated ..... is a very wise move on Jake's part.

The train has left the station ... but to be more appropriate .. the jet has left the runway!

And Jake is aboard  .... sitting in the co-pilot's chair!

Wise move, Jake! Wise move!

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 09:15:12 AM »
OLDSCHOOL, A while back I 'think' I read someplace that Mr. Pecker was 'somehow' associated with Mr. Epstein as friend of some sort, but not as a pedo of any sort.

Do you think that that association had anything to do with this Olympia sale?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »
OLDSCHOOL, A while back I 'think' I read someplace that Mr. Pecker was 'somehow' associated with Mr. Epstein as friend of some sort, but not as a pedo of any sort. Do you think that that association had anything to do with this Olympia sale?

I think the fact that the magazine sales have been declining tremendously, which was AMI's main push into this, and that AMI didn't want to put anymore effort into the passion of bodybuilding and the events anymore.  Jake and his team does, and will put a tremendous push into making the Olympia and everything around it (amateurs around the world) into keep it the premier event of all of us to go to Vegas each year.   

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »
OLDSCHOOL, A while back I 'think' I read someplace that Mr. Pecker was 'somehow' associated with Mr. Epstein as friend of some sort, but not as a pedo of any sort.

Do you think that that association had anything to do with this Olympia sale?

that could be, also didnt bezos threaten him with a huge lawsuit as well. bezos has the pull the hurt  "pecker" if he wanted to. maybe pecker has some legal battles coming up as well.  and needed some fast easy cash

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2020, 12:36:49 PM »
SCOTT, I find it difficult to agree with ya.

Bodybuilding events or whatever you choose to call those events ..... and the participants within them ....  are undergoing a world-wide expansion.

I'm not an Olympia fan nor even a fan of 'less esteemed' bodybuilding events .... so I cannot say that these individual events have been improving nor un-improving these past few years .... but the number of individuals who lift or want to lift heavy things ... and see improvements when they look in a mirror ... has increased by anyone's imagination.

And now the NPC is taking full advantage of hose 'heavy thing - mirror looking' lifters and has initiated the new  NPC INTERNATIONAL which by definition means that the NPC will accept world-wide membership from a small percentage of heavy lifters who have a desire to show what they have accomplished in a Speedo looking uniform.

That new membership could possibly increase the NPC 'club'  by 1,220,014 (estimated figure), yearly dues paying heavy lifters ... some of whom will get a pro card and pay yearly membership fees to the IFB Pro League!

And all that cash flows up-hill!

So you can call it what you want to call it ... but I'd call it one hell of a profitable venture for 'Schmoes' (respectfully stated) throughout the universe!

Can you name any other amateur, international, organization  outside of this new International NPC which has the eyes of the world upon it and a potential dues-paying world-wide membership of many millions?

Someone up that has been thinking very wisely!

And the mere fact that Jake is now associated ..... is a very wise move on Jake's part.

The train has left the station ... but to be more appropriate .. the jet has left the runway!

And Jake is aboard  .... sitting in the co-pilot's chair!

Wise move, Jake! Wise move!

It's okay not to agree with me.  But I find what bodybuilding has become  to be incredibly disgusting.  In plain talk.

All DRUGS all the time.   I want no part of that.  Like you, I remember the 40s through the 70s with a great deal of not only fondness but (a nod to Urethra Franklinz) R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

So called "Classic" Physique is not even close and not just because I'm seeing the photos in color.  I'm seeing it without the schmose colored glasses.

Gad, I crack myself up lately.

I look forward to your thoughts as we are of a like time.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2020, 02:36:16 PM »
It's okay not to agree with me.  But I find what bodybuilding has become  to be incredibly disgusting.  In plain talk.

All DRUGS all the time.   I want no part of that.  Like you, I remember the 40s through the 70s with a great deal of not only fondness but (a nod to Urethra Franklinz) R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

So called "Classic" Physique is not even close and not just because I'm seeing the photos in color.  I'm seeing it without the schmose colored glasses.

Gad, I crack myself up lately.

I look forward to your thoughts as we are of a like time.

mr scott imagine if this beast showed up on the classic physique stage that clown bumstead would go back to canada, and never come back to the states again

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2020, 02:56:44 PM »
mr scott imagine if this beast showed up on the classic physique stage that clown bumstead would go back to canada, and never come back to the states again

Well said.  Mike Mentzer had a superb physique and a mind to match. Alas that his ego, fed by amphetamines, overpowered his mind and ruined a career that should have gone on at least five or more years. 

I don't understand the need for a "classic physique" division.  There are physiques and there are blobs.  The blobs have long ruled the dais but that's due entirely to the size-queen judges and schmoes with fetid fetishes.   Mentzer, Zane, Padilla, Paris, etc.  These were bodybuilders.

The chumps of today are OCD Tupperware stuffers.  If they're not shooting up a variety of enhancers, they're filling their Tupperware containers with chicken and rice or stuffing their gaping maws with it.  Muscularly obese caricatures to be fapped to by the aforementioned schmoes.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2020, 03:03:06 PM »
Well said.  Mike Mentzer had a superb physique and a mind to match. Alas that his ego, fed by amphetamines, overpowered his mind and ruined a career that should have gone on at least five or more years. 

I don't understand the need for a "classic physique" division.  There are physiques and there are blobs.  The blobs have long ruled the dais but that's due entirely to the size-queen judges and schmoes with fetid fetishes.   Mentzer, Zane, Padilla, Paris, etc.  These were bodybuilders.

The chumps of today are OCD Tupperware stuffers.  If they're not shooting up a variety of enhancers, they're filling their Tupperware containers with chicken and rice or stuffing their gaping maws with it.  Muscularly obese caricatures to be fapped to by the aforementioned schmoes.

Great post the 83 version on bannut would smoke any of these classic physique guys as well

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2020, 04:18:27 PM »
Great post the 83 version on bannut would smoke any of these classic physique guys as well

Without question, Samir was superb in his win of the Olympia.   ;D

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2020, 08:16:26 PM »
I think the fact that the magazine sales have been declining tremendously, which was AMI's main push into this, and that AMI didn't want to put anymore effort into the passion of bodybuilding and the events anymore.

Jake and his team does, and will put a tremendous push into making the Olympia and everything around it (amateurs around the world) into keep it the premier event of all of us to go to Vegas each year.   

I am did found two of sentence having strange.  ;D
T

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2020, 03:59:29 PM »
IF AMI has sold off the whole Weider franchise, does that mean Wings of Strength will bring back FLEX magazine, instead of making it a small leaflet of Muscle & Fitness? Heck, if they brought back "female" bodybuilding, why not bring back FLEX?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2020, 10:14:38 AM »
Mc,  As Ron himself and many others have already stated .... Printed material is swiftly disappearing due to immediate coverage on this here internet thing.

When is the last time you saw a telephone book or a Sears catalog, this morning's newspaper or an IronMan magazine??

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2020, 05:00:41 AM »
Mc,  As Ron himself and many others have already stated .... Printed material is swiftly disappearing due to immediate coverage on this here internet thing.

When is the last time you saw a telephone book or a Sears catalog, this morning's newspaper or an IronMan magazine??

stunt you have  a great point , the only magazine i would still pay for is national geographic something about holding it in my hands and the pictures.  we are now a instant gratification society.patience is no more.  thus the death of magazines

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2020, 08:47:37 AM »
OLDSCHOOL, I betcha that even National Geographic will soon complete its long and historical run.

Not sure about this but .... don't you have to be a subscriber to get a copy? I don't recall seeing NG on the racks, but that may be because I just ain't looking.

BUT .... I can find stacks and stacks of National Geographics at the local library on sale for 25 cents each and the most recent copy I bought was years ago and had a photo of a rope-free mountain climber standing on an 8 inch ledge with his back to the wall many hundreds of feet higher than the valley below.

I'll try to find that photo and post it here as it is an amazing shot!

And I should say that National Geographic TV series are very popula among my family members and I once had a friend who owned every print copy  since the beginning .... but his subscription ended when he died.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2020, 12:33:17 PM »
Mc,  As Ron himself and many others have already stated .... Printed material is swiftly disappearing due to immediate coverage on this here internet thing.

We had immediate coverage 10 years ago. Yet, Flex, MD, and MuscleMag were on the shelves. MD was 2-3 times as thick as it is now.

I think it has more to do with the supplement companies, kicking the bodybuilders to the curb. MuscleTech had THREE Mr. Os on the payroll (Heath, Jackson, Cutler). Gaspari, BSN, VPX, and others employed the top stars of the day, too.

Once MuscleTech scaled back, MuscleMag went belly up. IronMan has been reduced to a quarterly magazine, covering natural bodybuilding federations. MD is hanging by a thread (they might go back to being "All Natural" Muscular Development, at this rate).

dknole

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2020, 12:20:46 AM »

usmcdevildoc

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2020, 11:44:48 PM »
Sale price below $90M, and estimated at $70M by NY Post - https://nypost.com/2020/02/18/american-media-looking-to-sell-other-mags-amid-national-enquirer-deal-limbo/

The Olympia is gonna fold. They can not even market ticket sales to previous VIP patrons.