Author Topic: Covid 19 - We are all screwed - discuss  (Read 501490 times)

Megalodon

• Getbig V
Re: Coronavirus - We are all screwed - discuss
« Reply #4125 on: June 22, 2020, 11:56:06 AM »
Give us your money.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #4126 on: June 22, 2020, 01:04:00 PM »
My 71 year old mother in law who has COPD, asthma, no immune system, GERD,  a CHOL of 296, heart issues and lower extremity edema.......

recovered from the virus in 4-5 days with barely any symptoms other than weakness and aches.... so I think I'll take my chances.

2 points I have pointed out previously in this thread

1. There is a good chance of having some cross immunity from a previous coronavirus infections (one of the viruses responsible for the common cold) The older you are the more likely you are to have had it.

2. As a group the elderly have almost as many asymptomatic cases as teenagers.

Taking those 2 points into consideration it's not surprising your mum in law barely any symptoms, but that doesn't mean it will be the same story for everyone. Also be aware that testing is inaccurate as fuck, so you can't trust that she really did have it.

Stay safe getbig heroes.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4127 on: June 22, 2020, 01:25:42 PM »
As more people are tested one would expect the rate of posituves to

A) increase
B) decrease

Think REAL HARD old man.

Unlike your response, I will explain this to you sans any snide or personal remarks.

This doesn't require a lot of brain power. The rate of positives would increase. But, this is not an accurate measure of what's happening with the virus.

It is the percentage of people testing positive that determines if the virus is on the rise or not. As an example, if you test 100 people and 25 test positive and later you test 1000 people and 250 test positive the percentage of positives remains the same at 25% and one could conclude the spread of virus is flat. However, if you test 100 people and 25 test positive and later test 1000 and 500 are positive the spread of the virus is increasing.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4128 on: June 22, 2020, 03:22:38 PM »
2 points I have pointed out previously in this thread

1. There is a good chance of having some cross immunity from a previous coronavirus infections (one of the viruses responsible for the common cold) The older you are the more likely you are to have had it.

2. As a group the elderly have almost as many asymptomatic cases as teenagers.

Taking those 2 points into consideration it's not surprising your mum in law barely any symptoms, but that doesn't mean it will be the same story for everyone. Also be aware that testing is inaccurate as fuck, so you can't trust that she really did have it.

Stay safe getbig heroes.

Interesting theory. While I don't remember ever having the flu, I constantly had colds growing up and several bouts of bronchial pneumonia. I don't get a flu shot each year but I do get a pneumonia shot.

Why do you suppose so many elderly are dying from COVID-19 if they are more likely to have some immunity?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4129 on: June 22, 2020, 04:14:08 PM »
UTAH MAY SHUT DOWN.

Health officials are urging Gov. Gary Herbert to return coronavirus restrictions to the “orange” level statewide if Utah does not get down to an average 200 new cases per day by July 1.
“We are quickly getting to a point where the only viable option to manage spread and deaths will be a complete shutdown,” warns a memo that Dr. Angela Dunn, the state epidemiologist, distributed Friday to state and local health officials.
X

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #4130 on: June 22, 2020, 07:12:14 PM »
Interesting theory. While I don't remember ever having the flu, I constantly had colds growing up and several bouts of bronchial pneumonia. I don't get a flu shot each year but I do get a pneumonia shot.

Why do you suppose so many elderly are dying from COVID-19 if they are more likely to have some immunity?

At a guess the type of immunity retained is more like a memory of a encountering a similar virus and not the actual presence of antibodies, so the body remembers how to fight it off and sends the right type snipers into action. However the immune system still needs to be up for the fight and needs to kill of the virus before it can take hold.

Diabetes actually looks to be the main factor right now for bad outcomes and they are starting to think of it more as a blood/inflammatory disease and not a respiratory one. There also appears to be a worse outcome for those who have type A blood which has not been fully understood yet.

My own personal opinion is that it is actually a virus primarily effecting the gut. If it can not be eliminated there it soon start effecting other areas of the body and that's when the body starts going potato.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4131 on: June 23, 2020, 01:10:54 PM »
UTAH MAY SHUT DOWN.

Health officials are urging Gov. Gary Herbert to return coronavirus restrictions to the “orange” level statewide if Utah does not get down to an average 200 new cases per day by July 1.
“We are quickly getting to a point where the only viable option to manage spread and deaths will be a complete shutdown,” warns a memo that Dr. Angela Dunn, the state epidemiologist, distributed Friday to state and local health officials.

I fear this may happen in Oregon. Since cautiously opening the state at phase I, the number of new COVID-19 has increased. Some areas are even higher then they were pre-shutdown. Just got word that the annual Labor Day picnic at Oaks Park in Portland is cancelled because governor Brown has disallowed it since it draws a large crowd...more that the 250 max for outdoor events. Bars, restaurants and other indoor venues are limited to 25.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4132 on: June 23, 2020, 01:26:48 PM »
total death in UK hospitals up until 17th June is 1350 people who didnt have a pre existing condition

That my friends is how dangerous this virus is to healthy people

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #4133 on: June 23, 2020, 01:49:13 PM »
I fear this may happen in Oregon. Since cautiously opening the state at phase I, the number of new COVID-19 has increased. Some areas are even higher then they were pre-shutdown. Just got word that the annual Labor Day picnic at Oaks Park in Portland is cancelled because governor Brown has disallowed it since it draws a large crowd...more that the 250 max for outdoor events. Bars, restaurants and other indoor venues are limited to 25.

The shut down was not so much to prevent people from getting the virus but rather to slow it down, flatten the curve, so that the hospitals won't be overwhelmed. So, in theory, just as many people will get sick but it will be spread out more and take longer to shake. So, yes, more people will be getting the virus as we open up but the hospitals can handle it.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #4134 on: June 23, 2020, 06:01:54 PM »
People still give a shit about this joke of a “pandemic”?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #4135 on: June 23, 2020, 06:04:18 PM »
People still give a shit about this joke of a “pandemic”?

There's still some paranoid retards out there.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #4136 on: June 23, 2020, 06:06:01 PM »
The shut down was not so much to prevent people from getting the virus but rather to slow it down, flatten the curve, so that the hospitals won't be overwhelmed. So, in theory, just as many people will get sick but it will be spread out more and take longer to shake. So, yes, more people will be getting the virus as we open up but the hospitals can handle it.

It's that simple .

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4137 on: June 23, 2020, 06:31:18 PM »

Maybe this is true where you are, but according to the Sunday Oregonian, some of Oregon's hospitals are already feeling the increase in cases needing to be hospitalized. This is specially true for the smaller private hospitals. Apparently, people are being transferred to OHSU which is Oregon's biggest hospital. However, it no doubt would have been even worse had their been no shutdown.

Since we are opening in phases and most of the state is in phase I still, things are hardly back to normal. Not sure how a restaurant or bar survives when they have to limit capacity to 25 people and less depending on space for social distancing. A local restaurant that's been doing high-end take out throughout the shutdown is open for dine in customers of which they can seat about 9 unless the weather's nice and people can sit outside. They are back to having a jazz group play on weekend nights, which is something no other restaurant in West Linn does.

Teutonic Knight 1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4138 on: June 23, 2020, 06:48:13 PM »
Saggy, relocate to Cuba or Venezuela & be 'el capitalista Yanki'

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #4139 on: June 23, 2020, 07:44:01 PM »
Saggy, relocate to Cuba or Venezuela & be 'el capitalista Yanki'

I'll look into it. Thanks.

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #4140 on: July 04, 2020, 07:13:00 AM »
So does the fact that GetBig has left this thread alone for over a week mean 'we' think it's all over...?
T

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4141 on: July 04, 2020, 08:05:04 AM »
Maybe it means there are too many Corona threads already, and chicken littles keep on creating new ones.

Flexacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #4142 on: July 04, 2020, 08:13:01 AM »
So does the fact that GetBig has left this thread alone for over a week mean 'we' think it's all over...?

It's far from being over. Globally we're about 25% the way through it.

But it's nothing that can't be navigated with some common sense.

prowlermaniac

• Getbig II
« Reply #4143 on: July 04, 2020, 08:48:08 AM »
This shit was over the minute BLM protests starting happening and COVID magically vanished.  My city went from mandatory masks to now not giving a shit if you wear one or not.  The key metric is the mortality rate which continues dwindling by the day.  Couple that with WHO flip flopping on asymptomatic people not being able to spread the virus, we’ve been duped

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4144 on: July 04, 2020, 09:12:29 AM »
This shit was over the minute BLM protests starting happening and COVID magically vanished.  My city went from mandatory masks to now not giving a shit if you wear one or not.  The key metric is the mortality rate which continues dwindling by the day.  Couple that with WHO flip flopping on asymptomatic people not being able to spread the virus, we’ve been duped

The latest is that most people with the virus, asymptomatic or not, likely won't spread it.  Only a so called "superspreader" will spread it to a lot of people.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #4145 on: July 04, 2020, 09:32:11 AM »
It's that simple .

Simple is relative.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4146 on: July 05, 2020, 05:36:40 AM »
Corrupt, lying SOBs

The WHO changed its coronavirus timeline to say it got its first report about the virus on the internet, not from Chinese authorities

The World Health Organization changed its coronavirus timeline to say it first heard about the coronavirus from a press release online, rather than a report from Chinese authorities.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/changed-coronavirus-timeline-got-first-110340600.html

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #4147 on: July 05, 2020, 08:23:53 AM »
People dead from Coronischka in Scandinavia

Q

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #4148 on: July 05, 2020, 08:27:17 AM »
3, 2, 4, 1.