Author Topic: One good reason to compete!  (Read 2521 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
One good reason to compete!
« on: April 18, 2006, 07:15:53 PM »
Ok with the exception of that old bald guy with no physique and maybe retarded, it rocks to compete.
Why? I'll be honest here and admit something. It is a bit of an ego stroke to get a bit of extra attention in the gym and elsewhere by getting ready for a show. Even some hack like me enjoys getting some looks and words of encouragment while getting ready to do battle. Plus, stripping down, being ripped ready and tanned , seeing other guys know you got 'em is pretty cool as well.
Ya my ego is normal , what can I say. I miss just being  Joe Blow in the gym, lot more fun to be a worrier and start lookin' freaky ya know.Been on the strict diet 5 days know...go figure, best run of days in years , no kidding ::)
Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

dav-bol

• Getbig II
  • Sexbomb
Re: One good reason to compete!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 07:25:16 PM »
Ok with the exception of that old bald guy with no physique and maybe retarded, it rocks to compete.
Why? I'll be honest here and admit something. It is a bit of an ego stroke to get a bit of extra attention in the gym and elsewhere by getting ready for a show. Even some hack like me enjoys getting some looks and words of encouragment while getting ready to do battle. Plus, stripping down, being ripped ready and tanned , seeing other guys know you got 'em is pretty cool as well.
Ya my ego is normal , what can I say. I miss just being  Joe Blow in the gym, lot more fun to be a worrier and start lookin' freaky ya know.Been on the strict diet 5 days know...go figure, best run of days in years , no kidding ::)
Howard

"Worrier"..........WTF ???

You "teach physics" and you can't spell WARRIOR??????

OAK

• Getbig V
  • "I'm a business GENIUS."
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 07:27:16 PM »

Bodybuilding is NOT about spelling.!  :-\

Dr.J

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:21:20 AM »
To win a plastic trophy!!

;D
Mr. AZ 2003

RustyTrenbolona

• Getbig IV
  • ...but it's just an empty sandwich bag...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 02:37:50 AM »
very excellent troll post was fun for .0003 seconds so thanks

C-BuZz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:54:40 AM »
Because only real warriors dance around in underwear on stage for a bunch of schmoes. Swat I'm talkin bout!

To sweeten the deal, you could "possibly" win a plastic trophy! WOWOOWOWOW.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 03:49:30 AM »
Because only real warriors dance around in underwear on stage for a bunch of schmoes. Swat I'm talkin bout!

To sweeten the deal, you could "possibly" win a plastic trophy! WOWOOWOWOW.

that's fucked up

IronMeister

• Getbig IV
  • Übermacht
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 04:02:53 AM »
A good reason to compete...you'll meet teh legends of BB.

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 07:44:06 AM »
Sounds gay.

Howard

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 08:22:31 AM »
If you have never done it you wont get it. Its a RUSH to wake up Saturday and look in the mirror and be like "DAMN". The plastic trophy isnt the goal. But to get in the BEST shape ever is! Its unreal to hit a pose and have the crowd go ape shit

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 08:47:01 AM »
Do what do, Howard. Play golf. Look what it did ffor Dustin Johnson, he's dating Paulina Gretzski now

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 08:51:28 AM »
If you have never done it you wont get it. Its a RUSH to wake up Saturday and look in the mirror and be like "DAMN". The plastic trophy isnt the goal. But to get in the BEST shape ever is! Its unreal to hit a pose and have the crowd go ape shit

Correct.  I did 5 shows and the first 4 i thought I could have done better and the 5th one I nailed it and won my class and to be honest - nothing beat that feeling whatsoever. 

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 09:02:03 AM »

The best reason I saw to competing (aside from actually enjoying competing) was that it kept you motivated to stay on a diet, and forces you to be disciplined! 

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 11:19:09 AM »
I've competed in several pl competitions . And like BMC said, it's the whole process, effort, sacrifice etc that's the fun. and it's cool to get medals.... Shit my friends don't know about Pl. I could be Kenny Anderson for all they know

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 01:15:41 PM »
I started competing to see if I could be great at it. That's pretty much the only reason I like doing stuff...to prove to myself and everyone around me that I'm great at it. Otherwise, what's the point? The only other reason I do things is because it's memorable or rare or unique, which although not great per se, has its own merits.

Turns out, I'm not really that great at it, judging by how far along I was able to get in the ranks.

Now, I do it because at my age, it's very unique. Not a lot of guys in my circle of friends doing it (most working a desk job, are normal-shaped for men in business, and raising kids), so when I cut down for a show, folks my age are genuinely impressed, or jealous, or freaked out, or inquisitive, or grossed out, but rarely are they indifferent. Thus, it's memorable. Maybe not always good, maybe not always bad, but at least they remembered the weird guy they met who starved and lifted weights. Better than being a forgettable nobody. Also, my kids are young enough to still think it's kind of neat (they'll learn to think it's gay in about 10 years or so, so I have a limited time frame to do it before it becomes embarassing to my kids. Then I'll have to give it up. I don't mind humiliating my wife though...she married me so she has to put up with my crap, just like I do hers).

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »
This is what sets bodybuilders apart from the average gym goer. 

I started competing to see if I could be great at it. That's pretty much the only reason I like doing stuff...to prove to myself and everyone around me that I'm great at it. Otherwise, what's the point? The only other reason I do things is because it's memorable or rare or unique, which although not great per se, has its own merits.

Turns out, I'm not really that great at it, judging by how far along I was able to get in the ranks.

Now, I do it because at my age, it's very unique. Not a lot of guys in my circle of friends doing it (most working a desk job, are normal-shaped for men in business, and raising kids), so when I cut down for a show, folks my age are genuinely impressed, or jealous, or freaked out, or inquisitive, or grossed out, but rarely are they indifferent. Thus, it's memorable. Maybe not always good, maybe not always bad, but at least they remembered the weird guy they met who starved and lifted weights. Better than being a forgettable nobody. Also, my kids are young enough to still think it's kind of neat (they'll learn to think it's gay in about 10 years or so, so I have a limited time frame to do it before it becomes embarassing to my kids. Then I'll have to give it up. I don't mind humiliating my wife though...she married me so she has to put up with my crap, just like I do hers).

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 12:02:00 AM »
You get to wear a predator mask and live out your desires of dancing provocally on stage.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 12:05:07 AM »
howard, stop talking.... start competing man.

you'll be 75 years old and still beam with pride of the pics from the show you did in your 50s.   If not now, then when?

Stop posting about it, and just commit to it.   Telll everyone you know, so there's no backing out.  Just do it man.

AVBG

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 12:09:28 AM »
Why don't you just bump the dozen or so similar threads you've previously started about this subject? Lol.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 05:13:13 AM »
howard, stop talking.... start competing man.

you'll be 75 years old and still beam with pride of the pics from the show you did in your 50s.   If not now, then when?

Stop posting about it, and just commit to it.   Telll everyone you know, so there's no backing out.  Just do it man.

When has that sort of thing stopped any bodybuilder from backing out of a show?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 05:17:36 AM »

Not me, I go by the ID "Howard" and don't know who this "HowieW" ID account is.
Once again it isn't Howard, the 54 yr old former judge and competitor who has been posting on getbig forever.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 05:19:25 AM »
Why don't you just bump the dozen or so similar threads you've previously started about this subject? Lol.
It's a gimmick account/ID and not me.