Author Topic: Atilis Gym in Bellmawr, New Jersey - Reopens despite shutdown order  (Read 7175 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I am still dismayed at various liberal governors and local counties, like California and New Jersey, who are spending time and police resources over people who just want to work and pay taxes, and want to arrest them for opening a business, like the gym.  Is this where the USA has gone?  Meanwhle, states like Arizona, Texas, Florida and others have let them open. A few years from now, we will see this as a textbook case of government trying to take away the right of people.

BELLMAWR, New Jersey (WPVI) -- Members gathered in the parking lot of Atilis Gym in Bellmawr, New Jersey to show their support for reopening the facility Monday in defiance of Governor Phil Murphy's shutdown order.

https://6abc.com/business/supporters-gather-as-nj-gym-reopens-despite-shutdown-order/6192735/?fbclid=IwAR2hlIvZqVB8eLtP85cUIrZpZAaBbTf8kR3mKL4k5bf7W_V9_l1lWDC2tHw

Spoke to co-owner Ian Smith today after Atilis Gym in Bellmawr opened, defying state order. Gym still operating, one hour after opening doors.

friedchickendinner

• Getbig IV
  • I've had it
Re: Atilis Gym in Bellmawr, New Jersey reopens despite shutdown order
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 08:59:56 AM »
the right of the people to infect each other.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 09:04:20 AM »
If everybody opened up, these stay at home orders couldn’t be enforced.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 09:06:27 AM »
Even the cops think this is crap - at least these cops understand what rights are... unlike the cops in Oceanside that arrested a gm owner just for opening...

"Formally, you are all in violation of the executive order. On that note, have a good day. Everybody be safe," the officer said before walking away as the crowd erupted in cheers.Around 10:30 a.m. local police officers approached the door through the crowd to speak with the gym's owners. The officers informed them that they were "formally" in violation of the shutdown order.

"We are and only were here for everybody's safety today. We planned for the worst and hoped for the best, and it seems like that's what we have out here today," the officer said to the owners and surrounding crowd.

https://www.fox29.com/news/police-to-new-jersey-gym-that-opened-in-defiance-of-order-have-a-good-day?fbclid=IwAR3Z1eg7PbuuA9mO6uxWcuaKSrFQYJpqyykRfkcRBKc8NndEV0wsJCLyzqE

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 09:06:41 AM »
the right of the people to infect eachother.

You are a broken fucking record.

friedchickendinner

• Getbig IV
  • I've had it
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 09:11:13 AM »
You are a broken fucking record.

Im a broken record? How many threads about closed gyms do we have now?

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 09:15:42 AM »
THE CSWOL-ORDER!

SHUTDOWN ORDER!
Q

Deacon Jeschin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 02:11:14 PM »
I am still dismayed at various liberal governors and local counties, like California and New Jersey, who are spending time and police resources over people who just want to work and pay taxes, and want to arrest them for opening a business, like the gym.  Is this where the USA has gone?  Meanwhle, states like Arizona, Texas, Florida and others have let them open. A few years from now, we will see this as a textbook case of government trying to take away the right of people.

BELLMAWR, New Jersey (WPVI) -- Members gathered in the parking lot of Atilis Gym in Bellmawr, New Jersey to show their support for reopening the facility Monday in defiance of Governor Phil Murphy's shutdown order.

https://6abc.com/business/supporters-gather-as-nj-gym-reopens-despite-shutdown-order/6192735/?fbclid=IwAR2hlIvZqVB8eLtP85cUIrZpZAaBbTf8kR3mKL4k5bf7W_V9_l1lWDC2tHw

Spoke to co-owner Ian Smith today after Atilis Gym in Bellmawr opened, defying state order. Gym still operating, one hour after opening doors.

When I saw Atilis Gym, I thought of the place in Wildwood.  Wonder if the same guy (Brian) still owns it....or both places.

Anyhow, good for them.  Hope they stay open

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 07:25:05 PM »
God bless those who still have the strength and courage to stand up and defend the principles of freedom and liberty that this country was founded on.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 08:00:43 PM »

the cops didnt do anything to him which is great, these dumb fuck liberal governors need to realize people eventually well i should say people with some brain capacity and are not on wellfare, know these governors are clowns who have never had a real job,  see bros governors and politicians no matter how shitty of a job they do,  they get a life time pension, they do not live in the real world, it truly amazes me how many sheep in this country we have.

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 08:57:10 PM »

the cops didnt do anything to him which is great.
He could have made a fortune on GoFundMe if they did.

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 10:26:16 PM »
He could have made a fortune on GoFundMe if they did.

that whore in texas did , and she acted all naive about it, im a right winger but that bitch had an agenda, claiming she didnt know how the 18k in fed loans got into her checking account come on even a republican can admit she is full of shit.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 11:17:01 PM »
Im a broken record? How many threads about closed gyms do we have now?

I would love nothing more than to report NO FREAKING GYMS CLOSED because of government, but until, we need to stand up for our right to open all business if they can social distance and follow simple guidelines.  But when you have cops and politicians dictating to you and arresting people for this while letting convicts from jail out, we have a problem in the USA.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 11:55:04 PM »

I would love nothing more than to report NO FREAKING GYMS CLOSED because of government, but until, we need to stand up for our right to open all business if they can social distance and follow simple guidelines.  But when you have cops and politicians dictating to you and arresting people for this while letting convicts from jail out, we have a problem in the USA.

Ron to coin a phrase from Seinfeld we are now living in bizarro world!

Methyl m1ke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2020, 12:13:15 AM »
Even the cops think this is crap - at least these cops understand what rights are... unlike the cops in Oceanside that arrested a gm owner just for opening...

"Formally, you are all in violation of the executive order. On that note, have a good day. Everybody be safe," the officer said before walking away as the crowd erupted in cheers.Around 10:30 a.m. local police officers approached the door through the crowd to speak with the gym's owners. The officers informed them that they were "formally" in violation of the shutdown order.

"We are and only were here for everybody's safety today. We planned for the worst and hoped for the best, and it seems like that's what we have out here today," the officer said to the owners and surrounding crowd.

https://www.fox29.com/news/police-to-new-jersey-gym-that-opened-in-defiance-of-order-have-a-good-day?fbclid=IwAR3Z1eg7PbuuA9mO6uxWcuaKSrFQYJpqyykRfkcRBKc8NndEV0wsJCLyzqE

Fuck yeah good for them! I keep emailing Jerry McCall the owner of the gym I workout at and at first he responded basically waving the white flag and now he just ignores my emails. (sigh)

You know Ron I have trained at my gym since I was 19 I believe. That's twenty (20) YEARS of my life I have worked out a the same place and it's causing me more stress depression and anxiety not being able to workout than I ever thought was possible.

This whole thing feels like a bad dream, it has to be a bad dream. (sigh)

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2020, 01:08:21 AM »
In Hawaii, we have had a total of 415 cases out of a population of about one million. That's about .04% of the population. An average of about 10-20% of the population will get the flu every year. Of the 415 cases, 53 have required hospitalization, about 12%. Of the 415 cases 92% has fully recovered. There has been a total of 11 deaths, all but two had a preexisting condition or were over 65.

Democratic Governor, David Ige has extended the lockdown for another month going until July 1st. When you have a job, a steady income, and are not subject to the rules you impose on others, making these edicts is quite easy.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2020, 01:22:14 AM »
If everybody opened up, these stay at home orders couldn’t be enforced.

And that’s exactly how it should be.

friedchickendinner

• Getbig IV
  • I've had it
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 01:25:22 AM »
Land of the free!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 02:24:54 AM »

the cops didnt do anything to him which is great, these dumb fuck liberal governors need to realize people eventually well i should say people with some brain capacity and are not on wellfare, know these governors are clowns who have never had a real job,  see bros governors and politicians no matter how shitty of a job they do,  they get a life time pension, they do not live in the real world, it truly amazes me how many sheep in this country we have.

Salary of 187k, work a few days per week, and 100% full pension upon retirement.
X

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 01:22:38 PM »

https://www.gofundme.com/f/mk6ez-atilis-bellmawr-court-relief?utm_source=customer&utm_medium=copy_link-tip&utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&fbclid=IwAR1eoZFLPQ6BZgw9sTvvARSzc_I_XO_zIHAEbBUhx3OQeXQb53nsfmrIL3U

Apparently according to the Governor the next time the gym opens the reaction from the authorities will be different.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/new-jersey-gym-reopens-in-defiance-of-coronavirus-closure/2421543/?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand&fbclid=IwAR0nFgMYhfsoOKHNTeNKqkgDQC1zVjM1Jy8YsrRTOddP8ShEMZgNbHWMNwM

N.J. gym owners issued more tickets, customer arrested in 2nd day of coronavirus lockdown defiance

A New Jersey gym reopened again Tuesday in defiance of the state’s orders against workout facilities reopening during the coronavirus outbreak and again police arrived to issue tickets to the owners. At least one patron was also arrested leaving the gym after refusing to give his name.

Police also warned supporters gathered outside to leave or they could also face summonses.

“This gathering is a violation of the governor’s order,” Bellmawr Lt. Mike Draham said. “You are directed to immediately and peaceably disperse. If you do not disperse you can be charged. You can protest from your vehicle…That’s all we have right now.”

The crowd jeered police officers as Draham read a statement to Atilis Gym gym owners Ian Smith and Frank Trumbetti in front of gym door shortly after 10 a.m. They were handed tickets that could lead to fines of up to $1,000.

The gym reopened at 8 a.m. on Tuesday for a second day with a smaller crowd of supporters than the first day when hundreds filled the sidewalk and parking lot of the gym on West Browning Road in Bellmawr, Camden County.

Smith went on national television last week with his plan to reopen despite Gov. Phil Murphy’s executive order for gyms to remain closed during the coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 10,000 New Jersey residents and infected more than 148,000, both the second highest in the country after New York.

Murphy was asked Monday during his coronavirus briefing about the gym’s reopening and he suggested the efforts to enforce the closure order may ramp up Tuesday.

“We will take action,” Murphy said Monday. “If you show up at that gym tomorrow, there’s going to be a different reality than showing today.”

It appeared to be more of the same, but with fewer people gathered outside. After receiving the tickets Monday, the gym remained open the rest of the day. That happened as well on Tuesday.

Trumbetti said he and Smith have owned the gym for less than a year and the lockdown has “strangled” their business. They said they would continue to operate despite the tickets and a GoFundMe campaign started to pay their fines has already raised more than $21,000.

“I’m not worried about jail,” Trumbetti said Monday afternoon. “ Ian and I made a conscious decision to actually fight for the cause for everybody.”

Recent polls have shown record approval for Murphy as he manages the coronavirus crisis. A Rutgers-Eagleton poll of 1,502 adults conducted from April 22–May 2 gave Murphy a 77% job approval rating.

And a Quinnipiac University poll released earlier this month showed 65% said Murphy’s actions during the coronavirus outbreak were just right with 20% saying they did not go far enough and only 14% saying they went too far.

Shortly after 10 a.m. borough police Lt. Mike Draham read a statement to gym owners Ian Smith and Frank Trumbetti as they stood in front of gym doors. The crowd pushed jeers peppered the shouts from the crowd.

Draham told N.J. Advance Media that Bellmawr police were performing a local enforcement in accordance with Murphy’s orders.

When asked if he directed the gym to close he said, “The governor directed them to close.”

By 11:35 am., a dozen protesters continued to mill around the parking lot and gym patrons continued to come and go into the facility, which is located in a shopping commons with nearly a dozen other businesses.

The gym owners have said they rearranged the gym equipment to provide more social distancing and the staff would be stepping up cleaning efforts. On Monday, staffers took temperatures of members entering to workout and Smith said they will limit capacity to 20% or about 44 people at a time. Members and staff are also required to wear face coverings.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/05/nj-gym-owners-issued-more-tickets-supporters-ordered-to-disperse-in-2nd-day-of-coronavirus-lockdown-defiance.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=nj_facebook_njcom&utm_campaign=njcom_sf&fbclid=IwAR3EFzzFKGVSS4i0xOuX7THmn6aZ5B1tRNtyQnunS2NOKIwfdYLPItbDwCk

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2020, 01:43:38 PM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 12:57:04 PM »
I don't think this has gone to court yet in NJ.

Ohio judge rules state cannot penalize gyms that reopen

There is a victory for gym and fitness centers across Ohio that had sued the state to reopen.

A judge in Lake County has ruled Ohio Health Director Dr. Amy Acton cannot impose penalties or fines against fitness centers simply because they do not comply with her orders closing them down because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Nearly three dozen gym operators — including one in Boardman — filed suit this month claiming the state’s guidelines were not constitutional.

The new order states that the facilities will still have to follow safety regulations that would cover these types of businesses.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/ohio-judge-rules-state-cannot-penalize-gyms-that-reopen/?fbclid=IwAR24FEQDYKesp0cxrZuZHGZP3gG8Hnq96ECHaD2hm5Vw1iP5Uxucb-wSOTQ

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2020, 03:55:31 PM »
Defiant N.J. gym shut down by state, owners vow to sue Murphy

A gym in Bellmawr that reopened Monday, violating an executive order from Gov. Phil Murphy, was shut down Thursday morning by state and county health departments. “Alright guys, so we arrived at the gym this morning to Governor Murphy’s dirty tricks, playing with his power in the health department," one of the owners said in a video posted to the gym’s Instagram page Thursday. "For right now, the gym will be closed. We have a full cleaning crew inside, once again, going above and beyond.”

The Instagram story also included a typed message saying, “Filing a suit against (Murphy) first thing this morning.” Murphy declined to comment on the gym directly during a radio interview on WPG in Atlantic City on Thursday morning. “Because it’s unfolding, I won’t comment on the specifics of that particular facility," the governor said. ”We’ve taken a whole lot of steps already to begin to open the state up, I think, responsibly," Murphy added. "The inside stuff is harder. The folks have to understand the virus is still out there. ... We’ll get there. We’re just not there yet.”

Murphy did say during a separate interview on CNBC that he may allow more indoor businesses such as salons and gyms to reopen with restrictions “in a matter of weeks.” Orange stickers from the Camden County Health Department declaring an embargo and a four-page notice from the state Department of Health were taped to the door of Atilis Gym.

The signs were placed on the storefront “with no inspection of the building or anything,” Co-owner Frank Trumbetti told FOX 29.  “They did it overnight like cowards,” Trumbetti told NJ Advance Media. He also vowed to reopen despite the state’s action. "We’re opening up tomorrow morning no matter what,” Trumbetti said. Trumbetti said he doesn’t know what the embargo means and the state health department notice referred to a statute involving infectious disease.

The sewer system serving the gym backed up Wednesday, “right after [Gov. Murphy’s daily] briefing where they said the Board of Health would be involved,” Trumbetti told FOX 29, forcing members to evacuate. A sewage remediation team was onsite Thursday, according to FOX 29. A call to an attorney for the gym was not immediately returned. The Camden County department of health spokesperson also could not be reached immediately.

A spokesperson for the state Department of Health declined to comment beyond the order, which was sent NJ Advance Media. Although Atilis Gym "is purporting to take its own measures to address COVID-19 transmission” the state cannot “simply allow business owners to set their own divergent health measures, done without the approval of the state and it’s health officials,” the order says. It also bans Atilis Gym from opening until further notice. Failure to comply with the order could result in criminal sanctions and/or civil penalties for violating the department of health’s order and the for violating Executive Order 107.

As of Wednesday, there were at least 150,399 cases of coronavirus in New Jersey and 10,747 deaths attributed to the virus. “Indoor gyms and fitness centers present particularly high-risk settings for the spread of COVID-19, in part because customers of these facilities engage in physical activities that increase the customers’ respiratory activity, which in turn can increase the amount of respiratory droplets or aerosols in a confined setting,” the order says.

The prolonged and close person-to-person contact presented by personal trainers, spotters and the use of communal equipment also increase the risk of spread, the order says. The National Institutes of Health have found that the virus may live on plastic and steel surfaces -- such as barbells, dumbbells and treadmills, for up to 72 hours.

Atilis Gym in Bellmawr allowed a limited number of members to use the facility beginning Monday. Their temperatures were checked as they entered and they were required to wear face coverings and follow other rules. Co-owner Ian Smith said they were limiting capacity to 20% or about 44 people at a time. Murphy was asked Monday during his coronavirus briefing about the gym’s reopening and he suggested the efforts to enforce the closure order may ramp up.

The owners of the gym said they opened it less than a year ago and the lockdown has “strangled” their business. They said they would continue to operate despite the tickets and a GoFundMe page started to pay their fines has raised more than $50,000 as of Thursday.

The gym had been issued at least three citations since opening, each of which includes a fine of up to $1,000 and possible jail time. Trumbetti said the gym will remain closed but he encouraged members to come work out in the parking lot.

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/05/defiant-nj-gym-shut-down-by-state-owners-vows-to-sue-murphy.html?utm_campaign=njcom_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_content=nj_facebook_njcom&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0y_0vK610x1sFE4KyVRk7B2R_MooZ41RRQDUZ0tbbub03ADOcK552Tpb0

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Atilis Gym in Bellmawr, New Jersey - Reopens despite shutdown order
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2020, 09:40:20 PM »
The Governor of New Jersey personally taking his liberal view into shutting down a small business owner gym continues.  Incredible waste of money while other gyms around the country open.. 

Atilis Gym Won’t Reopen This Weekend After Court Upholds Shutdown Order, Owners Call Gov. Murphy ‘Slimeball’

The owners of a South Jersey gym say they won’t be reopening this weekend after a judge granted a request from Gov. Murphy to shut down the gym. Atilis Gym in Bellmawr reopened on Monday and was open for several days in defiance of the governor’s stay-at-home order. After receiving the court order to shut down on Friday, Atilis Gym co-owner Ian Smith posted an Instagram video calling the governor a “slimeball” and called the health department’s closure on Wednesday, “flimsy and bogus.” “Slimeball Gov. Murphy pulled a fast one on us at the end of the day, and put a court order in to a state judge, who is of course going to uphold state wishes, for us to be shutdown via the health department,” Smith said.

The gym was shut down by the health department Wednesday night due to plumbing issues. The owners say their bathrooms flooded after their toilets were clogged by paper towels, something they called suspicious.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2020/05/23/atilis-gym-owners-say-they-wont-reopen-this-weekend-after-court-upholds-slimeball-gov-murphys-shutdown/