Author Topic: rev ur metabolism  (Read 1263 times)

chrisg

• Getbig II
  • "No! Try not! Do! Or do not. There is no try."
rev ur metabolism
« on: April 19, 2006, 02:54:07 PM »
Got this from an AOL article:

We all know that exercise gives your metabolism a boost. But, "your resting metabolic rate (RMR) is 60 to 75 percent of your total metabolism, so you actually burn more calories in the 23 hours a day that you’re not exercising than you do during an hour at the gym," says Melinda Safir, a registered dietitian in Dallas, Texas. The trick is to boost your RMR by avoiding metabolism mistakes –- something you can do without even breaking a sweat.

But if you're skimping on meals you may be doing more harm than good. Are you guilty of one of these top four metabolism mistakes?

Dehydration: Caffeinated beverages, alcohol, lack of water -- they all cause dehydration. When you’re dehydrated, your body temperature drops and causes you to store fat. Avoid this by easing up on the liquid vices. If you must imbibe, down more water –- and make it cold (cold water burns more calories going down the pipe than water at room temperature).

Cardio-loading: While heart-pumping workouts will burn calories, it's your body’s level of lean muscle mass that has the biggest impact on metabolism. Since energy is required to maintain muscle tissue, the more muscle you have, the more calories you’ll burn –- even at rest.

Fueling up With Carbs: Eating and digesting food requires energy, and protein boasts the greatest food-generated calorie burn. “RMR increases two to three times more after eating protein than it does after eating carbohydrates and fat,” says Safir.

Skipping Breakfast: Your body slows down when you sleep and it doesn’t speed back up until you put fuel in it. In fact, skipping any meal is a recipe for metabolic disaster. If you allow yourself to get hungry your body will start to conserve energy by burning fewer calories.

I'm sure most of you already know this stuff, but I didn't and there's probably a few people out there like me. Later.
P.R.: ate four lbs p-butter in 3 days

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Re: rev ur metabolism
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 06:17:55 PM »
If you allow yourself to get hungry your body will start to conserve energy by burning fewer calories.

Unfortunately I am always hungry when I am dieting :'( and I eat over 2000 calories...I can't imagine the girls who cut on like 1200.

Chris-you're right, hopefully, that most people know this stuff but it is a good basic post.
Jennifer

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 06:45:09 AM »
I've heard that meal frequency (with lesser portions) is also a sure fire method for enhancing your metabolic rate.  I'm averaging about 2500-3000 cals spread out over 8-10 feedings which include 1 midnight and 1 4am feeding.  If being constantly hungry is a sign of an active metabolism, then it works.

BigIronMike25

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 02:20:37 PM »
Unfortunately I am always hungry when I am dieting :'( and I eat over 2000 calories...I can't imagine the girls who cut on like 1200.

Chris-you're right, hopefully, that most people know this stuff but it is a good basic post.

I understand BEAST....ive been dieting for 9weeks for my 1st show and its hard to freakin think straight some days, got 7 weeks left to go so i do see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I stay hungry as hell, HUNGER is my life right now LOL and im eating about 3000kc a day, like you said i couldnt imagine the poor people having to cut on less than 2000 a day.  Good luck with your diet and next comp, I know you'll do well!!