Author Topic: Getbig PHD Economists, help explain something to me.  (Read 6886 times)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Re: Getbig PHD Economists, help explain something to me.
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2020, 05:05:49 AM »
More than the actual performance of companies, the stock market in its most raw sense works on sheer speculation.

Depending on the emotions of its traders, the value of these companies can rise or fall without any true good reason. That said, over time, the true value/prices will surface and the market will self regulate.

Maybe it's the accountant in me, but I'm of the thought that most people (let's just assume all people) should simply invest in the market and plan for a long term hold and not pretend to trade in it. Subsidized gambling can be dangerous.

"1"

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2020, 05:09:42 AM »
More than the actual performance of companies, the stock market in its most raw sense works on sheer speculation.

Depending on the emotions of its traders, the value of these companies can rise or fall without any true good reason. That said, over time, the true value/prices will surface and the market will self regulate.

Maybe it's the accountant in me, but I'm of the thought that most people (let's just assume all people) should simply invest in the market and plan for a long term hold and not pretend to trade in it. Subsidized gambling can be dangerous.

"1"
John Bogle's philosphy.

IroNat

• Getbig V

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2020, 05:35:47 AM »
Trillions and trillions pumped in to keep it all propped up.  Totally fake.  No true price discovery. 

The coming crash should be stupendous.

When?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2020, 05:39:38 AM »

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2020, 05:43:16 AM »
When?

No one knows.  I would guess, sooner than later.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2020, 05:58:22 AM »
No one knows.  I would guess, sooner than later.

How soon?  Will you and I be pushing up the daisies by then?

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2020, 05:58:56 AM »
John Bogle's philosphy.

I've yet to meet one person that has truly gotten rich off of trading in the market.

But I have met many individuals who have gotten rich by managing the money of those who pretend to trade in the market.

When it comes to the stock market, human nature drives us to want shortcuts. When in reality, the best way to hedge your risks is to simply grow your money pegged along with the entire economy.

There are much better ways to earn large sums of money than the stock market. I've never found the market to be a great medium for the quick generation of wealth. I think real estate would be a much more ideal vessel for wealth generation that can provide you financial security and Independence all through retirement. I also believe in owner financing of property, bonds and small business loans.

You want to tax free cash flow above all else and as little capital gains tax as possible.

Trading in the market can get you incredibly high taxes when you pull out too early (< 1 year).

"1"

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2020, 06:06:23 AM »
How soon?  Will you and I be pushing up the daisies by then?

Quite possible. 

Trillions will soon turn into quadrillions.  TPTB are going to do anything/everything to save themselves and maintain their power and control.

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2020, 06:08:12 AM »
Quite possible. 

Trillions will soon turn into quadrillions.  TPTB are going to do anything/everything to save themselves and maintain their power and control.
money will be worthless
Bill Gates will chip you like a dog
you will be connected to cloud
a cyborg

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2020, 06:08:24 AM »
I've yet to meet one person that has truly gotten rich off of trading in the market.

But I have met many individuals who have gotten rich by managing the money of those who pretend to trade in the market.

When it comes to the stock market, human nature drives us to want shortcuts. When in reality, the best way to hedge your risks is to simply grow your money pegged along with the entire economy.

There are much better ways to earn large sums of money than the stock market. I've never found the market to be a great medium for the quick generation of wealth. I think real estate would be a much more ideal vessel for wealth generation that can provide you financial security and Independence all through retirement. I also believe in owner financing of property, bonds and small business loans.

You want to tax free cash flow above all else and as little capital gains tax as possible.

Trading in the market can get you incredibly high taxes when you pull out too early (< 1 year).

"1"

Not rich per se, but I made close to $400K shorting the market in March.  Not bad for a months work.  All futures trades too, no stocks.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2020, 06:09:58 AM »
money will be worthless
Bill Gates will chip you like a dog
you will be connected to cloud
a cyborg

You mean "currency" will be worthless.

Gates and those like him need to be exterminated.

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2020, 06:13:10 AM »
You mean "currency" will be worthless.

Gates and those like him need to be exterminated.
Bodybuilders like pellius will survive
There will always be schmoes
Currency..ass raw no pulling out

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2020, 06:25:30 AM »
Not rich per se, but I made close to $400K shorting the market in March.  Not bad for a months work.  All futures trades too, no stocks.

But how much of that do you see?

In other words, after taxes and fees, assuming you pull it out now?

If you don't pull it out now and instead hold until next year, how much do you truly see after taxes?

"1"

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2020, 06:49:35 AM »
But how much of that do you see?

In other words, after taxes and fees, assuming you pull it out now?

If you don't pull it out now and instead hold until next year, how much do you truly see after taxes?

"1"

All futures profits are taxed according to the 60/40 rule, i.e. 60% of profits are taxed as long term capital gains and 40% are taxed as short term capital gains.  After all is said and done I pay approx 23-25% tax on all futures and options trades. 

Stocks are taxed at the highest tax rate.  I stopped trading stocks about 10 years ago.

BTW, I took $100K of the March profits and bought more silver when it hit $12 at the end of March... what a gift that was   ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2020, 07:01:31 AM »
If Biden wins and tries to pay for all the programs Democrats want the US will have to print valueless money. The printing of money leads to wild inflation and a depression. Money won't be worth the paper it's printed on. When the Blue states open from their shut down the economy the country will soar like it was going before Covid. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2020, 07:07:36 AM »
If Biden wins and tries to pay for all the programs Democrats want the US will have to print valueless money. The printing of money leads to wild inflation and a depression. Money won't be worth the paper it's printed on. When the Blue states open from Those that shut down the economy the country will soar like it was going before Covid. 
The left's plan will open the door for the Commies to walk through.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2020, 07:50:15 AM »
BTW, I took $100K of the March profits and bought more silver when it hit $12 at the end of March... what a gift that was   ;D

Commend you on the $100k, but why silver? Are you countering via an inflation hedge? Silver is not my cup of tea, because it's proven to be quite volatile over the years.

What's your reason?

"1"

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2020, 08:00:57 AM »

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2020, 08:17:01 AM »
Commend you on the $100k, but why silver? Are you countering via an inflation hedge? Silver is not my cup of tea, because it's proven to be quite volatile over the years.

What's your reason?

"1"

Inflation hedge yes, but also because the timing was perfect.  $12 silver was a steal.  I wish I had bought more.  PMs are just getting started.  Where gold goes, silver follows.  Also, when ppl can no longer afford gold, they buy silver.  During PM bull markets, the % gains silver makes are usually 3-5x golds gains.  I have gold too though.  Don't forget the ammo   ;)

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2020, 08:26:57 AM »
If Biden wins and tries to pay for all the programs Democrats want the US will have to print valueless money. The printing of money leads to wild inflation and a depression. Money won't be worth the paper it's printed on. When the Blue states open from their shut down the economy the country will soar like it was going before Covid.
what i wrote
The communists are the real Nazis

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2020, 08:28:05 AM »
the Big Bang is coming

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2020, 08:28:57 AM »
I read an analyst review that said Tesla that is currently valued at $2100 a share is a $85 per share stock.  How Tesla who is worth twice as much as VW who sold 30 million cars last year compared to Tesla who sold 350k cars is insane.

escrima

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2020, 08:29:55 AM »
If you do not vote for Trump
you are a fool..

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2020, 08:33:59 AM »
I read an analyst review that said Tesla that is currently valued at $2100 a share is a $85 per share stock.  How Tesla who is worth twice as much as VW who sold 30 million cars last year compared to Tesla who sold 350k cars is insane.